Old July 18, 2017, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Citizen

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Justinian is an upstanding Citizen
Possibility of a cohesive multi-part quest?

Hey there,

So I have the seed of an idea that I thought might be an interesting venture, but I wanted to get a little feedback on the concept before I went ahead and ran with it. Basically, I've been thinking about a multiple stage adventure that involves research, struggle for obtainment, further investigation and so forth. To specify, I'm toying with the idea of researching Constantine's order established during the Age of Chivalry, the Knights of Aelyria, and perhaps questing for a relic that might inspire a resurgence in the chivalric ideals embodied by the knighthood. The relic in question, as far as I've imagined, would be the sword of the first commander of the knights.

Now, the plot thickens.

The sword, presumably created in the 8800's or maybe even earlier (according to the Historia's timeline of the Knighthood's establishment), would obviously be a rusted, dilapidated relic that was little better than a museum piece by the modern era. Finding it's location would require extensive research IC and an adventure detailing it's retrieval would be moderated, naturally. I have a few ideas on the relic itself, but that is more flavor than substance at the moment.

To move forward, say the rusted relic is obtained; in it's current state, it does no one any good. So, back to the investigation; researching IC who among the currently living craftsmen of Aelyria might be a sufficiently skilled blacksmith to bring the sword back to life. I imagine this would take at least Master, or more realistically Grandmaster level skill, and I assume that artisans of that caliber don't grow on trees.

Next, striking a bargain with a Grandmaster. Not being a wealthy PC, I imagine that brokering a deal with a peerless craftsman would require some creativity, and therein lies the potential for further adventuring. Perhaps obtaining a rare and coveted material, or something along those lines? All sorts of possibilities there, really.

The dilemma that I'm running into is that one of the most enjoyable aspects of this website to me is the fantastic unpredictability of communal story-telling. I'm leery to map out an adventure too far forward in my mind because I think it detracts from what any mods/peer mods/fellow PCs might add to the tale, but if I have a particular goal in mind, is it possible to establish the "reward" ahead of time and then let the story-telling take it's natural progression?

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this sort of evolving plot, and if they had any experience in predestined rewards or goals.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Down the Rabbit Hole

Mimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious Superhero

Quick and dirty answer: this is something you should explore IC! I can't tell you (because I have no idea) what you would or would not find, or would or would not be able to do if you quested for it.

You're certainly welcome to establish end-goals for your character and work toward them, and the basic premise of "I want to recreate the Knights of Aelyria and/or find that magic sword" is totally within that. You're also right in exercising caution in establishing end goals that are overly specific, since that can end up being very frustrating, both because it takes soooo loooong and because of the unpredictable nature of where the storytelling will lead you. So as long as you're open to stuff happening along the way, why not?

On a relatively more practical note that should absolutely not be taken as discouragement for you to pursue this, a lot of that very early history of Aelyria was RP'd in one form or another, and it's therefore difficult for anyone to do a ton with (because a lot (all?) of those early characters in Historia were PCs, and therefore are off limits to NPCing, etc. - plus none of us were around back then, with the exception of Jacob). That doesn't mean you shouldn't explore something like this and see where it takes you, though.

Check my Office for Carrots and Updates!
Thanks to Chary for the bunny! (x2)
Mimesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Citizen

Thanks for the response Mim!

I think we are of the same opinion on pre-planning too much. Like I said, I love the unpredictable nature of collaborative story-telling and I wouldn't want to detract from that, but if I had a particular goal in mind that could be more or less declared ahead of time, that would hopefully not sully the creative process too harshly.

As for the older Historia, I wondered about that! I kind of had a feeling, after reading about how long Aelyria has been around in it's various incarnations, that a lot of that history had to have come from actual RP. It's just too incredibly awesome

I'm definitely on board with maintaining the sanctity of PC's that have come before and not re-writing their history to suit today's stories. Perhaps instead of specifying an individual owner of the relic I have in mind, like "the first commander of the knights", it could be more diaphanous, like "a famed and storied knight" or something. Either way, I think I have enough of an answer to formulate something; keep it loose, flexible, and avoid too many specifics.

Thanks again for the response Mimesis I'm gonna come up with a skeletal idea for the beginning of what will hopefully be a fun and creative story arc, and see if any mods/peer mods want to bite.
Old July 20, 2017, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Down the Rabbit Hole

Mimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious Superhero

Oh, and if you want a hint as to what rp was like back then, you can read this post.

...as I said, a lot went fuzzy in the translation from ancient rp to what we read in Historia!

Check my Office for Carrots and Updates!
Thanks to Chary for the bunny! (x2)
Mimesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Citizen

Wow, incredible find! Damn... "since the days when we were on Prodigy". Talk about the way-back machine. Seeing a post like that is like finding an old polaroid in a shoebox and seeing Aelyria in it's parachute pants and perm days, lol. <3 Love it!

I think it's phenomenal that so many talented and passionate people have made Aelyria what it is today, and then to be immortalized in the ever growing and evolving Historia is just fantastic. Just when I thought I couldn't like and appreciate this community more, it goes and knocks it out of the park once again.

Thanks for finding that Mim, that is really cool to see

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: