Go Back   Aelyria > Community > Support > Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old March 26, 2014, 01:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Notable

Wealth Tier: Steel
Blacken is a malevolent Minion
[HALP PLWEEZE] Shadows & Sorcery - Blacken's Tale

This is more of a concept thread than an actual fixed backstory, so far.

My character, Blacken, is, by all accounts, an ersatz Shadowspawn, as per the famous "Thieves' World" novels. (Most of my standard characters are, actually; I dig the concept.)

The main reason being that I wanted to play safe when I started here - I don't know much about the setting, and I didn't want to have rewrite things over and over. So, I will make up the background as I go along.

For now, I just wonder how the basic concept of the character - taken 1:1 from a concept I had for a Thieves' World game - translates into the world of Aelyria.

In my original character/stats-thread, I wrote:

Quote:
Orphaned as a toddler, Blacken was adopted by old man Lone, a burglar, and taught all the arts of stealing. After the death of his foster father, Blacken left his homeland far to the South, and travelled northwards, in search of adventure - and new business opportunities. Recently, he has try to lay low, busy... adapting to the customs of what he regards as his new temporary home.
How can I best expand on that?

Here's also the time log established for the character so far:

Quote:
Fluid Time Log

Winter XX/XXI:

Blacken arrives in Imperia, flat out broke. He spends some time in the city, famous to him through tales he has heard as a child, but grows frustrated with the disorder and despair he encounters. His contacts in the city missing or fled during an earlier incursion, Blacken finds himself stranded in Imperia, and aimlessly wanders the area for many weeks.

Spring XXI:

First adventures in Imperia.

Blacken eventually finds a cheap passage on a ship, and leaves Imperia for Newhaven - Nova Sancta. There, he gets involved with the hunt of a creature from the depths of the dark sea...

Summer XXI:

Depending, of course, on how the different adventures in Newhaven turn out, I think it's very plausible that Blacken, eager to "see the Elves", will turn southwards, in the direction of the Lauryllian Gracelands... Towards Frigid River.
Maybe that can also help giving you guys an idea of where I want to go with the character.

-- All input appreciated!

Yours,

Rafe
Blacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2014, 02:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Luminary

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Martellus is a glorious SuperheroMartellus is a glorious SuperheroMartellus is a glorious SuperheroMartellus is a glorious Superhero

Can you expand on how and why old man Lone died, and how it affected Blacken? It could give you something to refer during rp, and you could have one of those 'flashback' threads too.

Maybe say why Blacken wants to be a thief, unless it is just because his foster father taught him to be one.

You could think up an elaborate reason why he must lay low nowadays, like he almost pulled off a one-man heist that sent ripples through some criminal underworlds, and he was in way over his head for trying it.

Has he always been alone? What kind of people did he meet in his background who left a lasting impression on him?

And this is not a background suggestion, but have you considered learning throwing knives? It sounds like a badass idea to me.
Martellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2014, 06:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Nobody's Hero

Wealth Tier: Bronze
Lyr Tlansson is a glorious SuperheroLyr Tlansson is a glorious SuperheroLyr Tlansson is a glorious SuperheroLyr Tlansson is a glorious SuperheroLyr Tlansson is a glorious SuperheroLyr Tlansson is a glorious SuperheroLyr Tlansson is a glorious SuperheroLyr Tlansson is a glorious Superhero

You could also make him part of a human sub-race - you might like the kemites, which would also give Blacken a built-in reason for coming north since the former kemite homeland has been taken over by fog/the Xet.

~Character Information Repository~
~Kevin Ostapenko Award 2005~
Lyr Tlansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2014, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Notable

Wow, thank you, guys! Much food for thought for me.
Going to answer the two posts separately, to keep things less messy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyr Tlansson View Post
You could also make him part of a human sub-race - you might like the kemites, which would also give Blacken a built-in reason for coming north since the former kemite homeland has been taken over by fog/the Xet.
Sounds good. Now, I have to be honest, the race sounds as if one had thrown Persians, Egyptians, and ancient Japanese into a blender. So, I am likely going to excuse any elements I discard by Blacken having left his homeland as a toddler.

I like the idea of playing a dark-skinned character, though, and I like the Persian elements. ("The Heroic Legenf of Arslan", perhaps my first anime. )
Old April 4, 2014, 12:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Notable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martellus View Post
Can you expand on how and why old man Lone died, and how it affected Blacken? It could give you something to refer during rp, and you could have one of those 'flashback' threads too.

Maybe say why Blacken wants to be a thief, unless it is just because his foster father taught him to be one.
Actually, yeah, Lone is pretty much a direct Thieves' World reference - Lone is the apprentice of the original "Shadowspawn" when the series is abandoned.

I thought, why not spin things one generation ahead?

If Lone has died, or not, I have not yet decided; I thought it would be nice to form that as I play along. If Blacken ever returns to his homeland, having kept Lone alive (and perhaps at odds with his former apprentice) might prove interesting.

Quote:
You could think up an elaborate reason why he must lay low nowadays, like he almost pulled off a one-man heist that sent ripples through some criminal underworlds, and he was in way over his head for trying it.
See above. I have wondered if Blacken made a misstep, and simply fled the local mafia, or if he left after either outsmarting or, simply, graduating from Lone. Not decided yet, though.

Quote:
Has he always been alone? What kind of people did he meet in his background who left a lasting impression on him?
I think it's quintessential for the character to be a bit antisocial, if cunning. All I "feel" about him is that his great losses and gains on a personal level are still ahead of him, or he would be a less cocky kind of character.

Not sure how to play that out yet; I can write children, I can write sad old men (like me, hehehe, at the venerable age of 31). But teenagers going through the motions, not yet.

Quote:
And this is not a background suggestion, but have you considered learning throwing knives? It sounds like a badass idea to me.
I can do that?! I can do that!!!

I still don't have the foggiest idea of how leveling goes on the long run, but I want Blacken to become this setting's Shadowspawn. ...And this is a useful skill for somebody generally refusing to bear arms stronger than daggers, or, precisely, knives.
Old April 22, 2014, 11:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Notable

I am toying with the idea that Blacken might have killed Lone. Still undecided, though.
Old April 22, 2014, 11:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Notable

Also, yeah, apples are Blacken's favorite food. By far.

Like myself, in the real world.
Old May 6, 2014, 06:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Notable

A first glimpse in what might evolve into the tale of Blacken's past:

[Adventure] A Few Brave Souls (Barthelme, Blacken, Corwin)

Quote:
A crying child, before a burning hut, surrounded by a boggy swamp.

The same child, traveling with an old man, with grey long hair, and burning marks.

The child, cutting an old woman with a knife, and taking from her... A loaf of bread.
Old May 9, 2014, 03:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Notable

It seems increasingly likely by now that Blacken might take some detours to Arium's Solace Isle later this year, to complete his training, in a Luke-Skywalker-ish way.

Not before the end of the summer, though - Newhaven is a place I find increasingly to my liking...
Old May 14, 2014, 09:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Notable

If Blacken survives his recent adventures, indeed, Paxia and Solace Isle, and then Lauryl. That was the place I first read about in Aelyria, and it was the place I most wanted to visit as a player.
Old May 29, 2014, 08:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Notable

Going to run with this overall storyline.

Live Like We're Still Alive [Blacken|Parr|Tylag]

Quote:
In my country, Sir Cat, any good man is a thief. My parents were slaves for the Xet, and both were dead before I said my first words. I survived on the streets for most of my childhood, until a friendly old panderer, Lone, took me in. He raised me as his foster son, and he taught me all the arts he knew."
The details, still up for later. - But things seem to be shaping up nicely, as in, as I want them. Got to read a few fantasy books with Arabian themes later this year, this will probably help to shape things a little bit more.
Old June 23, 2014, 12:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Notable

Blacken has left Newhaven!

"I hate humanity!" - A Tale from the White Forest [Open]

(But there's still time for stealing the ship together with Lyr! )
Old June 30, 2014, 05:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Notable

And thus, Blacken leaves the life of crime, and enters the life of full pantries.

R I

Blacken of Kemit has received an Imperial Pardon, with Clemency for all crimes committed against the Empire and the people prior to this date.

Blacken of Kemit has been made a Squire of the The Duke Sapientia and House Osteyricjh. He is now allied to them and their feudatories such as House Gil'dae of Natura. He is now allied to Clan Vampyler-Sapientia of House Anulindrael of the Combine.

Blacken of Kemit will soon realize that esteem for his liege is not universal, and that there are some places where pride in this relationship may merit him trouble, if he's lucky, and death, if he's not.

Old July 7, 2014, 11:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Notable

From a conversation with Alexis, Blacken's new liege:

Quote:
"I was born in the village of AartuatIf you recognise this reference, you have been on many dangerous journeys. ;), in the desert. It's one of the oldest holdings of the Thieves Guild, because it lays only a few hours away from an ancient compley of ruins. The... Kings, I guess is the right term... Of old lie buried there.
My parents both died before I was a toddler, of what I am not sure. An old pimp, Lone, took me in and raised me as his own son and successor. He had been a great Thief before he lost his leg, and so he trained me to be one.
Short version is, he was killed, and I found myself on the run from the Bugs. To honor my master, I decided to undertake a pilgrimage to the lands where Lone himself had received his formation. That brought me to Imperia."
Old August 27, 2014, 03:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Notable

I am very excited to see how the Xet encounter will play out. Depending on the outcome, I guess Blacken's future will change. If he survives, and if he remains a lesser noble, wow, what an exciting new spectrum of possibilities!

I have no idea where to take the character right now, and I find that most interesting!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: