Old July 15, 2018, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Citizen

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Tariannis is unknown and forgotten
Stick 'Em With the Pointy End [Indefinite]

Summer, Era XXV, Moonstone wilderness

Taria sat near the shores of the river, having been wandering north of her home. She carried her smallsword at her side, just in case, though she would freely admit she hoped she didn't need to use it. She knew she didn't know much of swordsmanship, but she had watched others fight during the war and as a little girl. How hard could it be? Standing up, she drew the sword from her side, taking a couple of swings, trying a couple of stabs, and proceeding to lose her grip. The sword fell to the ground, and she frowned.

"They make it look so easy," she muttered. "I'm agile. I'm graceful. I can do this." Trying again, with the same result, she decided maybe it would be better if she decided to go find a teacher in the city. Putting her weapon away, she gathered herself to head back to town.

Last edited by Tariannis; July 15, 2018 at 03:29 PM.
Tariannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2018, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

Whacking combat dummies and swinging at air could only teach you so much, although arguably by the end of it you'd at least be able to hold onto the sword and swing. There was so much more to sword fighting than just being able to do that, though!

Probably? Probably.

The basics, at least, were important. It was probably a bit much to give somebody a sword, push them into a live combat situation right away, and tell them good luck, you'll learn it as you go. Being able to hold onto a sword didn't make you a swordsman, but not being able to hold onto your sword meant you were a dead...sman.

To the city! Ziel Aerca. It was the only city, in fact. But by dint of that fact, it also meant there were plenty of opportunities available. A little bit of asking around gave Tariannis plenty of options to choose from. Perhaps she could try to convince the city militia to let her join some of their drills? Or she could pay a sellsword or mercenary to give her some tips. There were probably some proper martial schools around as well.
Old July 16, 2018, 01:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Citizen

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Tariannis is unknown and forgotten
Returning to the city, Taria asked around a bit and realized just how many options there really were. After taking some time to think things over, a decision was finally reached. She would head toward the city militia first, but if she saw someone on the way who looked willing to teach, she would ask them. As she set off, she realized a potential problem with her plan, however. She would have to find some way to pay her teacher if the money she had saved up wouldn't prove enough. But, she decided, she could cross that bridge if and when she got to it.

As she strolled, she found herself lost in thought. What if she could find a way to combine her existing agility with her sword work as she got better and better? To make even fighting almost a performance in itself? With such a light weapon, surely there was a way to incorporate her skills and personality into her style. Someday, someday she'd find a way. She promised herself. Before Taria knew it, she had reached the militia, having completely forgotten her idea of looking for a teacher on the way. Well, it was decision time. Taking a deep breath, she went up to the first person she saw.

"Excuse me," she began brightly. "Is there someone I should talk to about training here? I got this sword recently and I'd like to learn to use it."
Old July 17, 2018, 01:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

Ziel Aerca's city militia were... special. Naturally, as the city had grown, so had its need for guardsmen to help keep the peace. Regardless, the bulk of those individuals, the core of the guard, had been formed out of the militant remnants of the organization that had founded Ziel Aerca: Ars Sanctorum. While it certainly wasn't the only leftover from that period, nor even the most unorthodox, it was perhaps one of the more apparent, given how frequently the city watch interacted with the citizenry.

"Sure, miss!" piped up the diminutive lutran that Tariannis had honed in on, the first person that she had seen in the midst of the city militia's activity. It seemed like he had just wriggled his way into some chainmail, sword dragging along the ground by his side as he wasn't tall enough for it to simply 'hang.' The others around here seemed a raucous sort, a bit of day drinking mixed in with their gambling and general merriment. It wasn't so much a matter of corruption or ineptitude so much as a more... casual sort of atmosphere.

"I'll arm wrestle ya for it!" the lutran then declared, slapping the bottom of his elbow with his other hand and pointing to a nearby table. "You win, no tuition!"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: