Old July 8, 2018, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Adventurer

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Akina is unknown and forgotten
[ZA] A Very Important Mission (Sliucha Plz!)

Timestamp: Era XXV PF, Mid Winter (Early Melora)

Excited (and relieved!) to have finally made it to Ziel Aerca, Akina attended to the usual niceties of greeting city gate officials before bounding into the city. It was busy! It was noisy! There were many smells!
It was almost too much for Akina, but she had a Very Important Letter to deliver, and deliver it she would.

But...to whom?

Only a few cycles ago Thread to be completed, have been informed by Z'Kron that this will be the content of his next post. I will edit this post with the specifics of his request for quoting, but that's about all, her elderly draconian friend Al had instructed her to help him find his family. So, she was looking for dracons. But what kind of dracon? Her friend Al was iridescent blue, and positively huge, so Akina decided to start with that. To aid her in her quest, Al had written a nice letter to the relevant party, so that she might be assisted. Al said to take it to 'whoever was in charge of the place' and that he wasn't sure who it was nowadays.

Well, Akina didn't quite know who it was, herself. But gods be damned she was going to do her best to find out!

After a few treacherous cycles running, resting, running some more, getting a little lost, and then running really fast to make up for lost time, Akina had finally arrived at her first destination.

Akina paused in the city centre, looking about to try and figure out where the Person in Charge was likely to be. Probably a big building, with fancy decorations, and lots of guards. Akina couldn't see anything like that, so she ventured into a nearby tavern to try and suss things out.

Taverns were good places to ask for directions in general. If the bartender didn't know - it simply didn't exist!

So, the fluffy white dorin wandered into the tavern with the confidence of someone who does not frequent taverns. Sauntering up to the bar and politely waiting her turn behind someone ordering a couple of jugs of beer, Akina approached the bartender when they were free.

"Excuse me, where could I find a person in this city who might have a record of specific residences of specific people? Maybe the Thane, or some other administrative person?"

Accepts rewards in coin, food, or head pats.

Travelling December 25 - Jan 16. Won't be reliably posting during this time.

Last edited by Akina; August 11, 2018 at 07:09 AM.
Akina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 03:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Aelyrian Addict

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa

Well, there were all sorts of taverns in life, you know? There were the seedy taverns that were full of mean and bad people, and there were the upscale taverns that were full of good and helpful people! And then sometimes you had a mix, like the tavern that looked sort of seedy and the people looked pretty rough but they were really good deep down, and then the nice looking tavern but everybody was snooty and terrible and such.

This one was one of the nicer taverns, in a good part of town, with a helpful barkeep. When it came to a person with record of specific residences of specific people (mouthful!), well, it wasn't hard to think about where to go, because in Ziel Aerca most of the government stuff was run out of the same place and most of the positions were held by the same person.

Corruption? More like efficiency.

"I reckon that'd be the Aedile?" At least in regards to what the specific position was supposed to be, anyway. "You'll want to visit the Moonstone Academy to figure all that out." Directions were provided as necessary. Everybody knew where it was, it was the city's government center, and also the biggest hospital, and also a medical university. Busy place!
Sliucha Sindosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 03:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Adventurer

Wonderful! A helpful barkeep, no bottles smashed over her head, AND a location that handled everything all-at-once in a convenient central spot!

Boy, Akina was feeling pretty lucky this brightening.

Trotting off in the direction given by the ever-so-helpful barkeep, Akina decided to go back to that tavern sometime and thank the person by buying as big a drink as she could handle.

Not to-brightening, but sometime soon, she bet herself.

Tail gently wagging as Akina meandered about on her hind legs (the best way to travel among humans and the like), the white fluffy dorin clasped her hands politely in front of her stomach. No grabbing anything or anyone - just like her mama taught her!

That, and she didn't really know what else to do with her hands when not actively holding something. Holding her own hands seemed to be the best approach in such a situation.

As indicated, the hospital-academy-university-AedilePlace WAS very busy! Using her knowledge of reading Common, Akina looked about for a sign that might point her to a concierge desk, or even an indication of how to get to the Aedile's office directly.

With any luck, she might even be able to finish her job before darkening! This thought pleased Akina, and she wagged her tail more vigorously in eager anticipation of doing a REALLY good job.

Old July 10, 2018, 12:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Aelyrian Addict

Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa

Who needed signs when the moment Akina walked in, she could see the reception area right in front of her? That looked like it could be pretty helpful!

Despite looking busy, it didn't seem like there was that much of a line. With everything else that the facility served as, there were a great many people who came and went but weren't necessarily needing to linger to conduct their business. This building primarily served as the greeting area and the government center, with most of the work itself being conducted upstairs. The hospital was in another building to the left, while the school of medicine was over to the right.

Before long, if the dorin queued up, she would be able to find herself talking with one of the receptionists, a very warm and friendly looking middle-aged woman. "Serale! And how can I help you today?"
Old July 10, 2018, 12:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Adventurer

Glad to have things so logically laid-out and established, Akina approached the desk with the confidence of one who had a Very Important Mission, and had every intention of fulfilling it. She gently placed her hands on the desk and looked up at the friendly human.

"I have a letter for the Aedile, written from the patriarch of House Kha'Serith. Is the Aedile available for a quick meeting, so I might personally make sure the letter is received?"

Akina puffed out her chest proudly. She had been going over that phrase in her mind throughout her entire journey from Sancta Nova, to make sure she said it right the first time. No fumbles, no stutters - professional and dignified.

Her fluffy white tail wagged behind her.

Old July 10, 2018, 01:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Aelyrian Addict

The receptionist had a brief flip through a nearby ledger, containing the schedule of the official in question. Aedile, thane, governor, it was all the same person, in fact. Granted, the way it worked tended to have an army of clerks do most of the actual work instead of the person in question, but the system worked! And at the end of the day you had to have a person sitting in the Big Important Chair, after all.

"Yes, Governor Sindosa is currently available to see you." Flip the ledger closed. "She is also the sitting Aedile," came the clarification, in case it wasn't apparent to Akina.

"Simply take the stairs to the second floor where her office is. You can't miss it, there's nothing else up there."
Old July 10, 2018, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Adventurer

Wow! Akina mused, this person is both the Aedile AND the Governor! That was a pretty important person to be sure. (Indeed, she wasn't exactly sure the difference between Aedile and Governor but it didn't seem to matter at this point. One person was both, and they could almost certainly help her on her quest).

"Thankyou!" She responded to the very-helpful receptionist, before following the directions exactly.

Stairs going up - second floor - navigate through the Nothing Else up there to the office door of Governor Sindosa.

Sindosa. Sindosa. Sindosa. Don't forget that the name is Sindosa. Gotta be professional.

Patting down the fur on her face and chest, Akina confidently approached the doorway and knocked to announce herself. She may have lived most of her life in a tent, but people still attempted to knock on something before entering. Even if it was a customary tin-can-by-the-entrance to hit - you never wandered inside a space without asking first.

"Akina the Mail-Dorin here to see Governor Sindosa!" she called, and awaited for a response to acknowledge she had been heard. Her tail wagged slowly in anticipation of finally fulfilling her Very Important Mission.

Old July 11, 2018, 12:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Aelyrian Addict

Knock knock!

Mail dorin? Were those a thing now? True, the courier services recently had been struggling with the collapse of Lauryl, Co. Sliucha had recently been making inroads into solving that situation, at least locally - the mail was important! It seemed like there were others who were working on it as well, then, if there were mail-dorin running around delivering things. Or, well, one mail-dorin, at least.

"You may enter!"

And if Akina decided to do so, going through the double doors, she'd be standing in the wide open area that served as Sliucha's office. It consisted of a lower area, where her personal administrative assistants sat - and up a set of double staircases was the raised area where Sliucha's own desk was.

She was an interesting looking person! And an interesting smelling one, too! She looked like an elf, but she had three super fluffy tails, and a pair of fox ears, and she smelled almost like a dorin would smell. It was probably a little confusing for somebody who had first met her!
Old July 11, 2018, 04:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Adventurer

Akina marveled at all the staircases, and the desks, and the size of the room; but perhaps most importantly she marveled at the creature before her.

Governor Sindosa was human and not-human and dorin-smelling and fox-smelling and human-smelling all at once. It was interesting, and very unique. Akina made a mental note to remember that smell from this point onward, as it might come in handy later. Perhaps someday she might have to deliver a letter to Governor Sindosa when she was hiding someplace.

Yet, more pressing matters motivated the white dorin to focus. Approaching the dias, Akina drew herself to her full height. Akina knew the responsibility she bore and was determined to represent the Kha'Serith family with honour. The 5', fluffy humanoid didn't cast a formidable silhouette, but the female dorin willed her presence to have an impact at this specific moment. Akina hoped that her grey eyes were bright and piercing, and that her posture was straight and tall. Speak clearly, her mother had always instructed, say what you have to say and get to the point.
Akina chose to ignore that last part because she wanted to match the tone of the fancy room she was in.

"If you please, Governor Sindosa," she announced, using almost every formality she had ever heard in her relatively short life, "I come with the wherewithal of the patriarch of House Kha'Serith for the delivery of an important letter!"

She brandished the letter before her - carried carefully in her hand throughout the journey. The edges were only slightly crumpled.

"I herald from Sancta Nova in the North. I have crossed desert and valley, hill and forest, to be here on this brightening before you. I request that you give me and my purpose an audience....if that's alright."

Clutching the letter carefully in her hands, Akina politely waited for permission to continue with some more detail.

Old July 12, 2018, 02:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Aelyrian Addict

House Kha'Serith?

Oh! The House that Links was a part of? Was he the patriarch? Sliucha didn't actually know. Her tails couldn't help but wag a little, though, as she wondered why such a person would want to send a letter to her. And with a mail dorin and everything! She hadn't even known that those were a thing, you now?

Anyway. "Thank you very much!" She folded her hands on the desk in front of her, nodding as Akina explained all the traveling that she had done as a result. "Sancta Nova, you said? That's quite far! I hope it wasn't too difficult? Have you had some time to rest since you came to Ziel Aerca? I'd be more than happy to pay for some accommodation during your time here."

Oh! Tip! She ruffled around a little, eventually bringing out a little pouch of coin. "Please, would you take this? Thank you very much for your service." It wasn't much, but it was an important service, after all. Akina was free to continue.
Old July 13, 2018, 07:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Adventurer

With permission, Akina resumed her message, proffering the unopened envelope to the Governor proudly. “Dear Itzcali,

Please be kind to the bearer of this letter. She wishes to be a mail-dorin, but she has no pack. Given the Kha'Serith family history, I think you understand what that is like. If you can find a place for her, it would be appreciated. And let the others know I'll be dropping by. Sometime. Maybe.
.. I'm sure they can find me if they need to.

Z'kron Kha'Serith
- claw mark- "

Allowing Governor Sindosa a moment to crack the seal and read the very-confidential envelope (the contents of which Akina was not privy!), Akina continued with an explanation;

"I have been given the task of finding a relative by the most senior of House Kha'Serith, Mr Z'Kron. Z'Kron Kha'Serith instructed me to come here, and find this family member, as Ziel Aerca was their last known location. As I am unfamiliar with this city, I thought I would come to you for help in this most important mission. I was not told a name or an address - only to come here. So, I made haste and arrived here promptly.

As Governor and Aedile, you are surely the wisest and most knowledgeable person regarding these matters."

Akina nodded to herself seriously. Yes, tracking family was important, indeed! If you didn't know where your family was - well - you were as good as orphaned! Her heart strings tugged for this poor, lost dracon. How were they faring without their great-great-... Akina paused. She didn't know how many 'greats' there were in this family. Mr Al was very, very old. Far older than her own Gramgram (may their tail be easier to catch in the Aether).

"Indeed, it was very far!" the white-furred dorin agreed, "I ran the whole way! One of the advantages of being a mail-dorin. I can travel fast, and travel light. I did not take more rest than I needed. I ran, I snacked, I slept during the darkenings, and I ran some more. I have arrived directly from your city gates, Your Governorship!"

She nodded her head confidently. Selling her own services was easy when all she had to do was be honest. In her excitement and determination to do a good job, she had near exhausted herself in the desert - but no matter! She was here, and she had delivered the letter. or so she believes. Akina almost didn't notice her sore feet, or the strange weight she felt below her eyes. Mostly, because she was having so much fun.

Then she was offered her VERY first paycoin!! For doing her new job! Akina's tail wagged furiously as she attempted to outwardly maintain composure.

Which, aside from the blur of tail behind her, was mostly successful. Akina reached out, then hesitated. Honour-bound, Akina's ears flattened and she withdrew her hand with a small twitch of the eye.

"I'm sorry, Governor Sindosa, but I cannot accept your coin. My services were not commissioned by you, and it would be unfair to have you shoulder the burden of payment."

Akina died a little inside as she spoke, but that was that.

She was a good dorin, and good dorins didn't swindle authority figures out of their money. She had morals, godsdamnit. Any coin she took had to be a coin earned, and she didn't feel like she had done anything for the Governor to earn that coin.
The only person who owed her coin was Al - and she honestly didn't know if he had any. To tell the truth, Akina had accepted the job out of the kindness of her own heart. Something about Al - or...Z'Kron, as he signed his name (weird, huh)... made her desperate to help. So, accepting a coin that she had not earned would have burned a hole in her pants pocket through sheer guilt. Then Akina had an idea.

"It may take a while for the Kha'Serith family to write back to each other - in that meantime, I would be happy to deliver mail for you, Governor, in order to earn my keep. I do not wish to be burdensome while I wait to bring good news back to Z'Kron!"

Old July 15, 2018, 03:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Aelyrian Addict

Letter get! Sliucha had herself a read. All right, so this wasn't from Links, this was established rather quickly. Z'kron? It wasn't a familiar name. She couldn't help but be curious how the Kha'Serith she didn't know was related to the Kha'Serith that she did. Maybe she'd ask Links about it, the next time they met up?

Mail dorin, Itzcali, a place to stay. All things that Sliucha could understand.

Likely they'd need to check with the people upstairs, just because she was the governor and Aedile didn't mean she knew this stuff right off the bat, or even had the relevant papers on hand. It just meant she knew exactly where to go! Folding the paper back up and placing it into the envelope, she put it back onto the table as the whole situation about the coinage was sorted out.

"I'm not paying you for delivering the mail, though," Sliucha explained politely. "I am tipping you for your excellent service as a mail dorin. This is of my own volition and has nothing to do with the letter itself." Loophole? She hoped so! She wasn't paying Akina for delivering the mail, she was donating money because the dorin had worked so hard to deliver the mail!

"We'll need to go upstairs in order to find the address in question," Sliucha noted, grabbing the envelope once more and standing up from her desk. "I'd like to sort this out before we talk any more of mail delivery - although I would most certainly be interested in acquiring your services in that regard as well. But first, let's get this sorted out, and you situated. Does that sound fine?"
Old July 16, 2018, 02:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Adventurer

Akina's eyes welled up as Sliucha gently explained the concept of tipping.

She had never imagined that one could earn extra coin for doing a good job - she just thought a good job was part of a professional standard of work. As her eyes grew rounder and wetter, Akina sniffled and gratefully accepted the coin she was given. She wouldn't have to sleep outside to-darkening - she could get a proper bed and perhaps even some food! The thought of a warm blanket after all those brightenings sleeping under the stars was a very welcome one.

"That sounds wonderful!" Akina responded quietly, wiping her eye on the back of her hand. She carefully placed her payment in the pocket of a well-worn pair of cloth trousers She's not naked!!!! before waiting for further instruction. Going upstairs. Finding addresses. That sounded simple enough.

Since Akina had mostly grown up in a tent-city, it was just assumed that if you lived there and were Important, you just knew how to find people (or at least the tent they lived in). The concept of a city requiring archives and books to find people was new, but exciting, because it gave Akina ideas for how to find future people for future mail delivering! This was important information that she would need in order to be an even better mail-dorin than before, and as such Sliucha had her full attention.

Akina was briefly distracted by the memory that Sliucha also mentioned getting 'sorted out' and more mail delivery. The idea of more mail to deliver was nice...but 'getting sorted out?' ... that sounded ominous. Regardless, Akina followed Sliucha obediently under the assumption that she wouldn't be 'getting sorted out' just yet.

This was fine.

Old July 16, 2018, 10:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Aelyrian Addict

It all seemed very complicated and busy up on the third floor. This was where the heart of the government's administrative work happened, after all. The most important things naturally went across the governor's desk, but most of the day-to-day was handled up here. Ziel Aerca, and Moonstone as a whole, wouldn't survive if it weren't for these people - especially when the governor was oft spending her time elsewhere.

So, you know, it was a matter of going over to this person, and giving them the information, and then it was searching through these archives, and these folders, and these files, it was all very efficient. What seemed like a daunting and labyrinthine maze of documents was navigated quickly and easily by the civil servant in question, able to produce information with what just seemed like a snap of a finger. Wasn't this nice?

Sliucha made sure to pay these people very well.

But, anyway! They did have an older record on file with an address in question, although there did seem to have been some circumstances in the family with later updates to the file. But the point was, they had an address for Akina to deliver the delivery, and Sliucha handed it right over to the mail dorin. "Here you go! Did you want to finish this delivery first, before we talked about more mail work?"
Old July 18, 2018, 02:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Adventurer

To call the office upstairs a wonderment would have been a gross understatement. Akina marvelled at the smooth efficacy of the clerks; the filing, the records, the writing, the shuffling of papers....it was fantastic! Ears perked up, tail swaying carefully as Akina watched everything intently, the white dorin watched the flow of information weave in and out of desks, shelving stacks, and piles of carefully-bound sheets of parchment. If she had no luck being a mail-dorin, then sniffing out information in a place like this was surely the next best thing! As the two waited (not very long) for the civil servant to return with an address, Akina entertained the thought of learning the locations of books, papers and illustrations on the off chance that someone like Sliucha asked for them.

When addressed, Akina paused for a moment and frowned.

Her mail-dorin job could be done very quickly, and then she could be just as efficient as that inspirational civil servant and dash off to do other mails!

Or...she could keep her role as exclusively in the Kha'Seriths' employ until such a time that she would return with an entirely free schedule, and be the most available for the Governor Sliucha Aedile person-lady.

Nodding determinedly, Akina decided.

"I will finish this delivery, and promptly return to you to ask after more work, if that is acceptable...your....uh....Honourableness."

Akina winced. She didn't know what to call Governor-Aedile-people-in-charge. Your Honourableness didn't feel...right. But there it was. She'd said it, and now she had to live with that awful, clunky, awkward title she had just bestowed on Sliucha.

"Would it be acceptable if I presented myself again at this office sometime later this cycle?" She asked quickly, trying to change the subject.

ooc I'm happy to continue this thread in FT 'a few days later'

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: