Old May 11, 2018, 11:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Necromancer Of Light

Wealth Tier: Steel
Vireylda Saharn is a malevolent Minion

The Best Defense, Is A Better Offense (Icefyre)

It was perhaps, the more outlandish of the ideas Vireylda Saharn had come up with. Yes, she was quickly becoming a more than moderately powered necromancer, but the pale elf did realize that her academic excursions into experiments might soon become a tad dangerous. She'd messed with Acid, shoved the powers of decay into a ring. Now?

Well, now it was a bit more.

Vireylda stared at the fruit in front of her. An apple, lay on the top of a simple table. Next to it, pages of scribbles detailed the plan. She sighed, looking through it again. This has so many possibilities to turn out bad. It would make more sense to just abandon the project, but progress was never achieved by giving up, was it? Of course not.

She went over the plan again, and then grabbed her stuff, and left her house. The shadow elf walked until she was well out of Ziel Aerca, ending up outside at a fairly large rock, where she sat the apple down. This way she wouldn't end up destroying her furniture. The pale elf made herself comfortable, concentrating. "Interitas En Viridus" She would summon her staff, and then slowly close her eyes.

In theory, the field of concentrated decay should just surround the apple, stagnate, but not diminishing. Vireylda envisioned it in a sort of cocoon, but it would take practice to get right. Even more for her to be comfortable enough to use it on herself. The final product would have to radiate from around her, but not harm her. It would be tricky, but where was the fun in easy?

The necromancer grinned wickedly at the thought of whomever was unfortunate enough to battle her, when the field was active.

Channeling through her staff, she cast. Surround the apple, stagnate, don't affect it.

In the pursuit of knowledge, nothing is forbidden.

CIR| SoF
Red
rep is preferred
Voted Best Neutral PC in the Aelyria Awards 2016
Posting status: Catching up (apologies for the delay)
Vireylda Saharn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Champion

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Icefyre is a malevolent Minion

oocohhh this is going to be fun.... let the decay begin..

This whole idea was dangerous to an extreme level... If this went wrong anytime when cast upon herself, the spell could in theory cause severe, and maybe permanent damage, maybe even drain her lifeforce to zero, which would mean to control of the dead would include herself...

So practice was going to be the watchword for this particular situation. Even with the staff this spell was going to use a significant amount of Vis / Mana creation, but starting small was a good idea, and also not on her own body... Was an apple a fair representation of her Elven form? No! But it did represent something that was going to be easily bruised, and that would give a fair indication of the spell working correctly, to some extent.

As an initial attempt, this wasn't a complete failure. The spell surrounded the apple alright, but it also was a little too close to the apple skin, meaning that the decay began to affect the apple flesh underneath but not too deeply. If she were to cut through the apple Vireylda would see a defined line could be traced in the flesh where the boundary of the spell ended. Perhaps this would give her an idea to the extent that the decay spell could affect an object, and the ideas of boundaries.

Daffydd / Shhhush!!! It's secret
Posting rate: Look Here for information on my threads and postings
I'm supposed to be the bad guy-Red Rep please
Icefyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Necromancer Of Light

Vireylda knew very well that it would be dangerous, that was why the apple was there. The necromancer hadn't survived up until now because she made a habit of doing stupid things. When your power was one of entropy, what idiot would test it on themselves first? Could easily lose a finger like that. Or worse.

So, she'd approach the apple to look. The level of decay on the fruit suggested that her spell had at least, been marginally successful. She'd been able to create some manner of void in the middle of the field, where something could easily fit without fear of attack. Mentally, Vireylda knew that her own sentient body was very different than that of a stationary fruit, but she'd get to that later.

For now, the elf pulled another apple out of her sack. Extending her hand, she carefully replaced the decayed apple with a fresh one. The rotten fruit was set aside for later study. Then once everything was in order, and where she wanted it, Vree cast again.

It was tricky business in the first place. Essentially she was creating a void within the entropic energy. Something that had to be fluid enough to be shaped, but solid to the point that it wouldn't collapse in on her. The elf sighed, it would be so much easier if she could simply negate the effect on herself. That way the need for a safety bubble was rendered mute.

Theories however, didn't matter. Maybe the answer would come to her in the following experiments. The energies were again shaped, this time with finer control. Vireylda was thankful for her staff, because without it the experiment would probably have been hopeless. This time, she wanted a defined field. No bleeding of the energies into the flesh of the fruit.

Better?

CIR| SoF
Red
rep is preferred
Old May 31, 2018, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Champion

The spell was cast. The apple seemed to be ok, although the shaping of the void around the fruit may have wobbled a little causing the skin of the apple to wrinkle and then blister in little tiny bubbles. So things were better but not completely under control. Maybe another try would yield the untouched apple.

Old June 1, 2018, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Necromancer Of Light

The elf growled, dismissing the spell and throwing the damaged apple off the rock, and replacing it.

Bah. Still not perfect. That was fine then.

This time, she took quite a bit longer with the weave. Under common circumstances the elf would simply conjure up something from memory. She'd cast certain spells so many times there was an underlying frame work that she'd skimp on the details of. Pulling essence from the world, and then shaping it was fairly straightforward most of the time.

On this occasion however, she did not. Her hands wove through the air, pulling strands of energy from the world. Carefully she kneaded them together, interlocking knots and allowing none of them to stray from where she wished them. Slowly, an intricate weave coeleaced within her mind's eye. If control was needed? Well by all the gods, she'd use the utmost precision.

The elf allowed the spell to materialize. The outcome?

CIR| SoF
Red
rep is preferred
Old June 5, 2018, 02:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Champion

The control, and precise positioning, weaving the threads of the arcane wisps of energy into an intricate pattern of crossed entropic energies, formed the shell on which the remaining energy could form the barrier. The barrier, thin, but composed of compressed energy held in place forcing the remaining energy to move around it in a tight form. Nothing pierced the shell but the energy was there to be felt, if not completely visible to the untrained eye.

This time the apple was unharmed. The skin as fresh as before the shell was placed around it.

This was a small step, but a crucial one in understanding what was to come. Now the decision on what to attempt next.

Old June 7, 2018, 07:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Necromancer Of Light

Success!

The shadow elf probably should have just taken the time to study how effective her spell had been, exactly. You know, for research purposes and stuff.

Vireylda elected not to do that however, and promptly danced in place like a little girl, fists pumping. Then she went over, looking at the results.

They seemed as she'd hope for, but that wasn't really the major issue here, was it? The spell had been difficult thus far, but not frighteningly so. Doing something upon a being that was motionless was fairly simple.

Yet Vree was never satisfied with simple. Carefully the shadow elf retrieved the bag of apples from the ground, placing them against the rock, and then tying the ends together for good measure.

Motion meant she needed something that could walk. Which meant she needed a zombie. Considering how people would generally frown on her looting their graveyards, Vireylda instead went into the woods near where the rock was. Corpses were needed, so she'd find one.

And if there were none available? Well, then she'd make one.

Preferably an animal though.

CIR| SoF
Red
rep is preferred
Old June 10, 2018, 04:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Champion

As luck would have it there was the corpse of a rabbit close by, still ensnared in the wire that had been set to kill it. Perhaps this body would be usable as a starting point for the not so live testing. The snare had been set by some close by bandits, who at this moment were not at their campsite. Taking this food, as it was to become, may alert them to Vireylda’s presence. It was up to her if she wanted the rabbit for her experimentation, then she would need to cut the line from around the animals neck.

There may be other corpses available a bit further into the wooded area, the question was did Vireylda want to move on or utilise the body that was available, alerting the beardy bandits that there was another close by.

Old June 10, 2018, 10:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Necromancer Of Light

Useful.

Was there any way to find out how many bandits were around?

Depending on that, she might just go ahead and make those corpses she was needing. Progress and propriety in the same blow!

Bandits weren't a good thing in any book, right?

CIR| SoF
Red
rep is preferred
Old June 12, 2018, 03:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Champion

The bandit camp at this moment had three bandits there, one sitting by the campfire sitting a pot, another was sleeping in his tent, the last one was just pacing around, back and forth, whittling a stick. None of them were aware of the presence of Vireylda, and so, if she so desired she could look to use these Here human vermin as a little distraction, but also as guinea pigs, so the she could practise her way to forming her new spell.

The question was, were sh go to take out all theee, which one was the first to go?

Old June 13, 2018, 02:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Necromancer Of Light

Hm.

Was it at all possible for Vireylda to find out if there were any more bandits? Was the camp only one for three? Or were there more tents? It wouldn't be a good thing if the main force came back to find their comrades dead.

CIR| SoF
Red
rep is preferred
Old June 18, 2018, 03:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Champion

The campsite was only small. There were three tents, but one was large enough for two bed rolls to be placed, so effectively there were only four of them at this campsite. Where was the forth one at this moment? That wasn’t apparent from the viewpoint of Vireylda at this moment, but even if they were to return was there any backup of this group of bandits? Not likely.

So the question was, what to do with these unsuspecting, and clearly ‘innocent’ bandits, who were, if truth be known not nice scumbags that were looking to steal, rape and pillage, whatever they could find.

Old June 18, 2018, 08:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Necromancer Of Light

What to do? Well, that part was easy, now that she'd figured out their number.

Taking threads of magic between her fingers, Vireylda weaved the cords of essence around itself, leading a string of it between this strand, and then that one. Knots formed before her finally solidifying in what resembled a net.

The elf pulled it in, gathering the power before-

Vireylda released it then, a Stench Of Decay spell, to incapacitate the camp. They'd be much easier to kill if they couldn't stop vomiting, after all.

CIR| SoF
Red
rep is preferred
Old June 20, 2018, 02:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Champion

oocFrom one necromancer to another... Nice!

The Bandits were all doing whatever they were doing when the spell hit. For a moment the bandits looked around but then the overwhelming urge to throw up everything in their guts hit them. The foul stench not only incapacitated then, it worked on another way in that their eyes were now leaking, water flowing as part of a natural reaction to their bodies wanting to rid themselves of the unpleasant feelings. Even if they were aware of her presence, these bandits couldn’t react to her, so now seemed to be the time to act. How the deed was done was now up to her.

Old June 20, 2018, 03:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Necromancer Of Light

OOCI try, I try. :D

The black cloak that the necromancer always wore was modified into a makeshift mask. Had Vireylda engaged in previous experiences of this scent? Most certainly. Was she however, going to risk falling prey to her own bloody spell? No, no she wasn't.

The deed was done quickly, with the sword at her belt. Her hand reached out, pale fingers yanking one of the bandit's head up, and slitting their throat. She dropped him, and repeated the process on the others.

Best not to maim the corpses too much, since she'd need them for later.

CIR| SoF
Red
rep is preferred

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: