Old July 12, 2018, 11:30 PM   #166 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

Their preparations were made. They had good records of the route they had taken. All they needed to do now was climb out of the crater, climb back down, and then trace their pack back out of the Great Mountains.

Would Maximus be leading the climb once more?
Old July 14, 2018, 03:42 AM   #167 (permalink)
Hero

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Maximus Navire is a dubious Denizen

Going down was the same thing as climbing up the mountain, only in reverse. Maximus had heard people claiming to climb down mountain, one had to go face down. The thought of it was pretty laughable.

"Right, we will go down the same way we come up. With ropes around us, I will start going down first, secure my self, then Teb follow to my position, finally Isabelle follow down. It will be a bit slower, but this would be safer. Two person will be looking out for the active climber. If everything is packed and no questions, let's go. We need to make use of as much light as possible." Maximus waited for anyone to speak. If nothing, was said, he squatted down, swung over the edge and began climbing down the same way, using the climbing pick and his claws to secure himself as best as he could while climbing.
Old July 16, 2018, 02:30 AM   #168 (permalink)
Notable

Isabelle Sophie is unknown and forgotten
Isabelle had no qualms if Maximus led the way down. He was the most experienced of the three and she felt they would not have gone this far without him.

She listened to his instruction and follow it on her way down.
Old July 16, 2018, 09:28 PM   #169 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

At this point, they were pretty much seasoned mountaineers, weren't they? Well, perhaps not really, but they had a decent amount of experience at this point. With Maximus leading the way once more, they ascended their way back out of the crater. Harrowing as ever, but uneventful as ever as well. Once they were at the top, it was a simple matter of just getting back down to the bottom again. A few close calls, perhaps, a few slips here and there, but nothing too exciting.

And from there, it seemed, it was simply time to leave the Great Mountains. "Are you two fine with simply returning to where we came from?" Teb asked of the pair.
Old July 17, 2018, 04:16 AM   #170 (permalink)
Notable

The climb down was more fun than going up. Isabelle had better use of her legs, she was feeling well rested and it was her second attempt. The slow climb down gave her time to look into the distance and see the sights. She also took the time to see where all the rivers were.

"I think it will be good to travel back where we can from." Isabelle agreed. There was a river near there which she could use to swim. She really missed swimming.
Old July 17, 2018, 12:04 PM   #171 (permalink)
Hero

The dracon had some concerns climbing down. One might freeze because he or she was looking down or one might slip because they were more or less feeling their way down rather than looking straight at where they were holding on to. All his good worrying proved to be wasteful when they got to the bottom safely.

"Congrats. We have safely touched down!" He declared and began untying everyone and coiling the ropes up. After all was packed, he laughed. "I hope everyone had enjoy the climb and the scenary. I know I did this time." He winked at the second climber.

"It is a good idea, going back where we came from. It's near a town. Let's head on and see if we can get something good to drink and a good hot bath. I know a I need that."
Old July 18, 2018, 12:18 AM   #172 (permalink)
Foreboden!

With any luck, this time around they would manage to avoid stumbling across another goblin patrol.

(They did).

And just like that, it was a rather uneventful and boring descent from the Great Mountains. Good timing, too, they were just about to run out of food. Back in the lowlands of Moonstone, and with the budding Kemite community in the vicinity of Vinesdale - at the very least, they wouldn't starve. Granted, Teb still wasn't sure how welcoming the community would be of outsiders, but he could always be the one to get the supplies, anyway.

In the meantime, perhaps Maximus and Isabelle could work on setting up camp, and they could have a nice celebration feast?
Old July 18, 2018, 10:18 AM   #173 (permalink)
Notable

Isabelle smiled gratefully at Teb when he went ahead to purchase some food. In the meantime, she set up the tents, gathered firewood and started on boiling some water. If she could find it, she dragged some bigger logs, cleaned it and set it around the fire. It might work as a nice chair for everyone as they ate.

"It has been a good adventure. Teb. Maximus." She said once everyone returned. "Pity the rumor of yours did not pan out as something magical or divine. It would have been nice to know a diety had manifested there."

There was a wistful look on her face when she spoke about dieties. She was taught dieties were real enough, beings of might and power, but till date, she had no idea who the god or goddess of the sea was. She shook her head and grinned. They had climbed a mountain, why would the divine of the sea be there. Then she laughed at her silly thoughts before blurting out, "Anyone knows who is the god or the goddess of the seas and oceans?"
Old July 19, 2018, 11:27 AM   #174 (permalink)
Hero

The way back was much better than the way to the mountains. The climb down had little trouble, there was no goblin attacks (though the dracon was tempted to blow the goblin horn and attract some) and they found themselves near the new town just as their food ran low.

"Good idea. I don't think Kemites really want to see either of us much. We will prepare for you when you return." Maximus then moved on to help Isabelle. He looked for some flat stones as well and scrubbed them clean. It could be used to make 'stone soup' or for grilling meat.

If he spot any rabbits or games, he would attempt to hunt them down as well.
Old July 21, 2018, 04:07 PM   #175 (permalink)
Foreboden!

The camp was set. Maximus managed to catch himself two rabbits in the meantime, and eventually Teb returned with... well, it wasn't quite a feast, but for people who had been trekking through the mountains for the past good few days, it might as well have been. Lots of meat and vegetables and such, all ready to be cooked together!

"It's a shame, but rarely does life provide such easy shortcuts," Teb noted, as they worked together to set up the meal. Rich, hearty food, what more could you ask for? "There's still plenty of hard work ahead of us, but in the end, we did still get something out of it. In a way, I think, that will make the end result even better, knowing that we still had to do quite a bit to get to it."

"That would be Markalin, wouldn't it?" he responded to Isabelle's next question. "What is the saying, the gods only help those who help themselves? These kinds of goals, we should aim to strive for ourselves, not just rely on the help of the gods."
Old July 23, 2018, 04:46 AM   #176 (permalink)
Notable

"Markalin? I think I have heard his name before. He is not very famous, is he?" Isabelle asked Teb. She guessed a god of the seas was only useful for sailors and those who was about to set sail. His name was not going to be mentioned much otherwise.

She helped with the preparation and the smell of proper food made her mouth drool. It might be a good idea for her to properly learn cooking. Food was good and she did enjoy cooking for people.

"Discovering mysterious and continue seeking out the results of what we found is always worth it." She declared. "Any idea where should we go next?"
Old July 23, 2018, 11:19 AM   #177 (permalink)
Hero

Maximus smelled the food before Teb appeared. A grin appeared on his draconic face as he remembered the old teachings that food smell and taste better after a few brightenings of army ration. They were not having army ration per se, but it was close enough to it (except for the goat).

As they spoke, Maximus sifted through all his personal contacts and couldn't really think of anyone who could help with such research. Maybe he could head back to an academy in Arium where he knew a teacher there, but such research required specialized knowledge. He decided to keep quiet and enjoyed his meal since Isabelle was asking everything he wanted to ask.

On other note, the sudden talk about the archon of the seas invoked some memories involving one of the fiercest fighter he had known and the fighter's fear of getting onto a boat. It was funny how that bear of a man kept asking for the archon's protection over and over again. That brought a big smile to the dracon's face.
Old July 23, 2018, 05:51 PM   #178 (permalink)
Foreboden!

"I'd say he's quite well known, he's one of the more prominent archons, after all," Teb noted. "Maj is probably the best known, of course, so I'd say Markalin belongs with others - Phedos and Cetheron."

"As for where I'll go, well, I'll likely just stay here. See if I can't get some locals to come with me and research the site we found." He reached a hand out towards Maximus and Isabelle. "Thanks again for all your help, of course. I wouldn't have been able to do it without you two. I hope you'll be able to visit sometime when my people are a little less wary of outsiders. I'd love to hear your stories."

OOC:
Maximus and Isabelle both get mountaineering lore.

Maximus gets +1 hedgemage xp, +1 archery xp, +1 sword xp, +1 smith xp
Isabelle gets +1 spellbreaking xp, +1 trident xp, +1 crossbow xp

In addition to the loot collected during the thread, Teb also provides the following rewards:

Sufficient coin that Maximus and Isabelle are now Steel wealth tier until Autumn Era XXV (one year).

Steel ring with Dragon Insignia. While the Kemites of Vinedale do not trust you, this will at least prevent them from being hostile.

Maximus receives a high-quality steel katana.

Isabelle receives a pair of steel (with decorative gold) bracers, to help protect her arms.
Old July 24, 2018, 12:47 PM   #179 (permalink)
Hero

Maximus took the hand of Teb and smiled. "It will be trying, but let's hope the hostility to dracons would be erase in due time, at least in your town. We can trade stories next time! Anyway, glad to have met you when we did Teb."

After Teb left, Maximus turned to Isabelle and asked. "The river's back there. I guess this is goodbye. Perhaps see you some other time or when you visit Lauryl. I'm usually shuttling between the wilderness of ZA and Lauryl. You know, there's nothing to hunt or discover in protected towns."

If there was nothing else, Maximus head for a quiet spot and Gate-ed himself back to his anchor point. Melonia.
Old July 25, 2018, 06:50 AM   #180 (permalink)
Notable

Maj, Markalin, Phedos and Cetheron. They were names she heard of without knowing their domains. It was good to know which diety blessed her race with the powers of the seas.

"Maybe I will return in a era or two, bringing some undersea product. In the meantime, do take care of yourself." Isabelle bade Teb farewell.

"I will take on your offer to visit Lauryl one brightening, maybe even spending some time to learn about smithing. It looked really useful seeing what you did just now, converting daggers to picks. If you drop by Medonia, do look for me around the habourfront. Do take care of yourself too!" She waved at Maximus and jumped into the river.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: