Old January 23, 2016, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Wealth Tier: Steel
Adynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious Superhero

[Ziel Aerca] One for the Money

Winter Era XXIII

At night, Ziel Aerca was an entirely different city.

At night, the ostentatious flashing lights were like warning flares against the cool dark skies, backed by stony spires that stretched high towards the stars. Below the city's districts were nestled in direct juxtaposition - the seemingly untouchable Central District in all its wealth, and the Maliam Kame beyond.

Maliam Kame was a whole different animal from its luxurious counterpart. Here the people lived relatively free from city law, only to be shackled by poverty and the societal rules such poverty could not help but nurture. Here the cobbled streets glistened from a recent rain, reflecting the vulgar colors of the illusory advertisements up high, and the inhabitants eyed each other in passing with a mixture of fear and racial hatred.

But here there was an entirely different character from that of many other places on Telath, one of an underbelly of society not unlike the famous Gut in Port Alyxandrya. Here, amidst the gang-driven squabbles and the struggles of the poor, a particular figure felt right at home.

And here was where he was, drawn to these wicked city lights, their colors coursing through his lungs like a poison in the veins.

The alley behind the backwater tavern was uncharacteristically bustling this particular darkening. Above the small little crowd that had gathered was settled a bright, warm yellow lantern, its glow spilling into the adjoining alleyways, drawing the wanderers to its performers below.

A bastardized version of a table and seats had been situated by the tavern's back door, one seat host to a gruff-looking dorin and the other, a young male human. The dorin was frowning deeply at the human as he rattled a set of dice between his fingers, watching his opponent methodically stack sets of copper swords.

"You think I'm stupid, came the dorin's dark tone above the chuckles of the gathered crowd.

A mild smile crept at the corners of the human's mouth as he worked, which held a cigarette at the corner. A puff of light blue smoke and fog were exhaled into the winter air.

"You've won every game so far, my furry friend," was the human's nonchalant response. "These folks are getting bored. Let's raise the stakes, make things more interesting, allow me to go out with a bang. I'll go back to my cups after this."

The dorin grunted, eyes shifting to someone who had only just wandered up to the crowd, his oily black fur glowing orange in the lamplight. He gestured to the new arrival.

"This one," he decided, "not one of these. They're too familiar, now."

A set of bright grayish-blue eyes wandered towards the new arrival. The human rubbed at the scruff at his jaw thoughtfully before, finally, he shrugged.

"Suit yourself," he murmured. To the arrival he said, "Ones or sixes, Love?"
Adynirach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2016, 01:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Citizen

Wealth Tier: Bronze
Elinor Saavedra is an upstanding Citizen
"Sixes."

The girl's voice echoed softly just about the usual rumble of activity. Off-color banter, casual disagreements and the usual going abouts of Maliam Kane's regulars seemed to melt around this single word.

"I think six is a good number for tonight." There was a smile behind that statement, smoother and more subtle than any strand of silk the merchants hawked in business district. She was a pretty girl, relatively well known throughout the area and often the target of misplaced fantasies. A heart-shaped face peaked inquiringly from behind a thick bloom of auburn hair as if framed within a constantly shifting border. The (relatively) stable income obtained from the Doctor had more or less solved the issue of starvation for the time being, and filled out her frame; a hourglass figure and an admirable bust were present even through the drab wool dress she wore underneath a weathered sheepskin cloak.

"I can place ten swords down for the pot, if need be Sers. Though.. I heard somewhere that it's often customary to buy a gambling girl a drink before the first roll."

As two pairs of gray eyes regarded each other, one couldn't help but notice that the slip of a girl carried a rather large ax strapped to her back.

"Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be."
Elinor Saavedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2016, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Adynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious Superhero

The human's eyebrows lifted at the manner of the woman's speech, although the onset of a smile indicated that the surprise was not unwelcome. He laughed then, directing his gaze towards the dorin, pushing the copper swords towards the center of the table. A good number, indeed, said the human's face, resulting in the dorin's narrowed eyes. Suspicion. Unease. It radiated from the dark-tempered dorin, although it was easily dispelled by the eagerness of the crowd, and the cheery attitude of the human male.

The crowd seemed to react favorably to the woman's offer to add to the pot. Even the dorin's icy exterior seemed to crack somewhat as he considered this. The human was paying more attention to the woman's mention of a drink.

"Is it? I seem to have forgotten my manners. Been some time since I've been in some company of class."

"Hey!" came the shriek of a slightly heavyset woman in a wench's aprons, who had been favoring the human speaker's side of the table. "Mind ye don't forget who's done right by ye, ye ungrateful little -"

"A drink, then!" The human produced an empty mug next to his own, pouring some of the mead that had been set aside into both. He offered the young woman one with a hand gloved against the chill, eyes alight with a million questions as they made a swift appraisal of her form, her face - and her ax.

Still, he spoke only one of those questions as the dorin warmed his hands for the rolls.

"And what do we call you, Mademoiselle?"

The crowd's eyes seemed to be on her, now.
Old January 24, 2016, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Citizen

The mead was cheap and likely to have been watered down by barkeep. She drank deeply and gladly, draining the proffered mug in one smooth motion before smiling in thanks to the young man.

"A woman cried, but then a star danced.. and under that I was born." The quote was from one of her favorite plays, though it scarcely mattered to many around these parts. In any event, she enjoyed the sudden focus of attention towards her and - like any good actor in a play - chose to inject a small degree to delight into the scene.

"My name is Elinor," she said with a small grin, "though from time to time I've been called 'Sheepskin McRaggedy', 'Pig-pence', and - my personal favorite - 'girl'."

She circled the table, eyeing the stack of bronze swords laying idle between the dorin and his human adversary before dropping her own contribution to the pile.

"Pray tell, Ser Gambler. What do I call you?" she casually brushed up against the dorin as she wound back to her original position, returning the mug back to its owner. "Mysterious men are common enough fish at good Maliam Kane's, but I'd venture say a gentleman of your luck and caliber are cut from a different colored cloth. It must be quite the fabric, to make good Ser Dorin here fluster and sweat despite holding the advantage."

"Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be."
Old January 26, 2016, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Model Citizen

The amusement in the young male's eyes faltered for a moment when the woman recited the quote. There was a flicker of recognition there - and a flicker of sadness as well, but the brief moment of hesitation was swept readily away.

Back to the performance, as it were. There, the crooked smile returned.

"They are particularly creative around these parts," was his response to her many nicknames. "As nice of a ring as 'Girl' might have to it, I think I'll stick with Elinor."

The dorin's - and the crowd's - eyes seemed to sparkle at the increase in crowns. Surely the human's apparent losses from earlier were leading up to the promise of victory - or to the most crushing loss of the darkening. Whatever the case, at least now the stakes behind it all were enough to keep the attention of the tipsy little crowd.

"He's a witless pisspot, spat the dorin. "He thinks I'm unfamiliar with his tactics. The false sense of comfort in a well-placed advantage."

"We used your dice as well as mine. I can only cheat so much."

"They're trading information now," the barmaid informed Elinor, her husky tone clearly unimpressed. "Thieves, the both of them, each after what the other's got."

"Seems Ms. Elinor's the only one with a proper opinion of me," came the human's wry response as he removed the cigarette from his mouth. "I think I prefer Adyn to 'a witless pisspot' or even 'thief'." Exhale.

His eyes settled on the dorin then, their color a reflection of the smoke drifting off the cigarette. They were relatively solemn now, giving his small grin a feel of something predatory, almost mocking.

"So are you going to roll, or are we going to make Moon Eyes at one another all darkening?"
Old January 30, 2016, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Citizen

"I'll take the roll," she offered, producing a pair of white dice carved from bone. She tossed one of each to the human male and the Lutran, smiling as she did so.

"As you gentlemen can see, there's no uneven weight in the dice. I carved them myself some time ago and haven't been accused of cheating in these parts yet."

"But, as Ser Gambler says, Ser Dorin... The night may be young, but it isn't likely to tomorrow's arrival. Roll, or not.. I'm in a mood for sport, but not waiting."

Old February 10, 2016, 07:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Both the dorin and the human rolled the dice in their hands, rubbing the surfaces of the sides against the flats of their fingers. Although there was a flash of uncertainty in the dorin's eyes as he looked from Elinor to Adyn, the human seemed undeterred by this new development.

"Perfect. Now everyone can stop accusing me of cheating whenever it's convenient to do so."

The dorin sneered. "I don't like the stink of it, but I am also tired of waiting. Fine, then, let's get this over with. The most sixes out of three rolls, yes? Be my guest."

The small gathering, save for a few coughs and murmurs, was ready for the show. In the sudden stillness, small glints and glimmers became more obvious, the flash of pommels and crossguards in the lamplight. In the crowd around them, a few eyes were watching more intently than others, garbed similarly enough to the dorin at the table that they wove a certain thematic pattern amidst the bodies.

The dorin had supporters, it seemed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: