Old July 29, 2010, 12:02 PM   #31 (permalink)
Rattttt

Nimh has disabled reputation

Eee, been so busy lately. I've finally managed to resume a relatively "normal" sleep schedule. At least, I'm not waking up at 2 or 3 in the morning, unable to go back to bed. I've been getting less sleep than I want just because of being up late for one reason or another. Tuesday night was the Goo Goo Dolls concert, which was freaking amazing. My dude came with me because I needed a concert buddy and he went expecting to hear a band that had been touched up for the radio. He came away saying he was thoroughly impressed and that they sound a whole lot better live than they do recorded. They definitely rocked it and I was super glad to be able to go.

So that's several concerts I've been to this year and I'm not sure which was my favorite (the artists and the venues/settings were all very different, so they can't really be compared), but they were all really solid, everyone performed really well live, so...yep. Now Lilith Fair just needs to conclude my year of concerts with an awesome day of great live music.

This is part of the reason why I'm busy, but only just a small portion of it. Work has kept me a bit preoccupied and when I get home, life just consumes me. If I'm not house hunting or poking at wedding details (which I haven't even really dived into, except I did reserve my venue and the date--July 9th, 2011!), then I'm trying to have a more active life with working out and having fun with friends, family and my dude.

Next month is going to be more or less pretty busy still.

1. This weekend I have Lilith Fair on Saturday (will be out of the house from like 12:30pm - after midnight). Sunday will be more house hunting goodness. I should be able to have time to house hunt, but probably not between sleeping and running around to see houses...then finally relaxing.

2. Weekend of the 7th should be pretty uneventful, although I guess we'll try to see my dude's mom for her birthday. I also assume more house hunting, but that's not necessarily a given. Also, laundry. I have to do laundry. I have to fit that in somewhere.

3. I'm going away the 15th - 21st, down to the Carolinas (North & South) to visit with my great aunt & uncle, who live very close to the beach. My aunt's not doing so well, so it's sort of a "let's see you now while you're around" kind of visit. We'll be tripping down to Charleston for a couple of days, too. Sort of just to break up the monotony of beach stuff, which is boring to me. I am not someone who enjoys sitting on a beach. We'll probably be bookending this trip (quite possibly) with house hunting stuff. Because we're gluttons for punishment.

4. The weekend after we get back (28th) will be a family picnic on my dude's side of the family on one of the days.

5. Labor Day weekend follows -that- weekend. Which means family BBQs/get togethers on my side.

The dude also wants us to do more fun little things on the weekend, like finally go visit the wolf preserve here in NJ. The Ren Fair is also from August - September, so we both wanted to go do that. He wants to take me to this themed restaurant in PA, too. I don't know when he thinks these things are happening, but they're floating around in our heads.

That said, my life mapped out for all of you... I have nothing going on at work next week, so I will probably be more active on the boards before dropping off into relative inactive until I get back from vacation.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2010, 01:04 PM   #32 (permalink)
Rattttt

Just to let everyone know that I am around and alive and everything! Thing is, the dude and I have found a house that we both really like and can see ourselves in...so...my brain is a little preoccupied atm o.o We're going to look at it again on Saturday--may end up putting an offer in if the numbers and the feeling we get about it add up

So...excited! And distracted like whoa!
Old August 10, 2010, 10:01 AM   #33 (permalink)
Rattttt

Came down with a nasty bug, but I'm better today than I was yesterday. Yesterday I was all flushed and every bit of my ached. Today at least I'm just a stuffed headcase, sniffling, sneezy and raspy.

Also, a bit down because we opted to delay getting a house for another whole year. Sad, sad, sad. We ran numbers, had the lady at the place run numbers, and with the whole wedding going on and whatever, we just feel that the amount we'd be paying for month may not exactly stretch us thin, but it will leave us with little buffer room if something bad happens (like our brakes going on our car, which happened a week ago and hit us really hard in the wallet--because the entire system went on the front tires). To boot, the dude is worried about the shakyness of my job world and started getting paranoid about the bulk of his student loans. It was a bit of an emotional decision for me to make, but I know it's better in the long run to accumulate more savings first and hope that next year the housing market won't have rebounded sharply. It shouldn't, but you never know.

Busy the next two days with work, so you won't see me around. With house hunting on the backburner for another year and the wedding planning moved to the forefront, I should still be preoccupied, but less so. Except for next week, because I'm going on vacation next week and I know there won't be any internet access going on.
Old August 10, 2010, 12:14 PM   #34 (permalink)
Demon of Heaven

Charybdis has disabled reputation

/me hugs.
Old August 10, 2010, 12:22 PM   #35 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Veleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious Superhero

Hope you feel better soon!

As for the deal with the house, I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. I think in the long run, you will look back on this decision and be glad you did it this way cause things do tend to arise from nowhere and catch you off guard. Playing it safe does tend to pay off in the end

I do hope you get your dream house sooner rather than later. Here's hoping for the best.

Tyler

SoF

RL Update (June 8th, 2017) - On an indefinite hiatus, as RL/buying a house/having a kid has taken priority. I will keep poking my head in but posting rate is currently at 0%.

Veleraen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2010, 10:03 AM   #36 (permalink)
Citizen

Lilith Klaa'ren is an upstanding Citizen
I think you guys did the right thing holding back and playing things safe. Just like Tyler said, bad things usually happen when you least expect it. Besides, I really don't think the housing market can rebound that fast, you should still be able to find a nice house next year that's within the budget.

And please, take a break. Everyone knows you deserve it. You've been busy this entire time, enjoy your vacation to the fullest!
Lilith Klaa'ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2010, 08:25 PM   #37 (permalink)
Rattttt

Thanks guys

I'm back from vacation and will be getting to work on things over the next week or so. There's going to be some delay, but I just subbed to a bunch of threads and I plan to get to them in the near future. I may, though, go at my PC threads first. Sorry if that inconveniences anyone!
Old August 26, 2010, 02:59 PM   #38 (permalink)
Rattttt

I had -too- much fun last night. Although some of it was really kind of awkward, since we were approached in the bar by two Italian dudes fresh off the plane who were absolutely enthralled by my gorgeous, very leggy friend/coworker. They dropped some money on drinks for us and the one chatted us (read: her) up all evening (his buddy getting bored with me/working there anyway). This dude promptly got mad at the end of our evening when my friend pointed out that she was married and not interested. It wasn't like she hadn't said "husband" or talked about him throughout the evening. Dude clearly had selective hearing and didn't want to pick up on those words. And, also, maybe we weren't helping by taking said offered drinks, but oh well.

Needless to say, I've discovered that, yes, I am a goofy drunk (knew that), but I'm also a very apologetic drunk. I apologize to everyone for everything. Which apparently cracks my friend up (and probably annoys the heck out of my very patient, very caring dude).

Anyway, I'm only just now starting to feel less sluggish and blah. The headache was gone before I got into work (I never seem to suffer super bad hangovers, hurrah), so I'm feeling inclined towards typing again. But not really writing or editing. So I'm babbling here while I feel the need to.

My PCs are doin' all right at the moment. Iseult's got her second annual Festival of the Arts in Arconis next season, which means I'm going to wham myself with threads and totally hate myself for it. But, you know, whatever. Otherwise, I have no idea what to do with my PC except poke at her artsy skills and do commission threads. To boot, I really need to finish up my threads from past seasons. They've been slow because I've been slow. So...really really need to finish up some threads before I start new one (with the exception of commission/festival threads). At any rate, I have the Herald article and all the anchor threads for the festival written up (I'll admit that I really just copy/pasted last year's and fixed certain things up...although I did rewrite the banquet post completely). I just need the season to change and that stuff'll get slapped up.

Aydyn's stuck in Arios. There's no GM, but that's fine. I always seem to find myself SOMETHING to do and just dig around for approvals/occasional guest-modding to get it done. The being able to move from glade to glade with the druidism helps considerably if I want to send her somewhere. What I'd -really- like to do is find someone to train, but with no one else in Arios, that's kind of dead in the water.

Etienne is always my loose cannon. I never know what to do with him and tend to just meander around, plucking at things. I have stuff I could do, stuff I can do, stuff Ragman wants me to do, I just never get around to it! I will soon. I think I may just be a little overloaded with threads o.o Between my 3 PCs, I have close to 35 threads, I think.

Also, really need to finish getting caught up with my PCs from my extended non-posting phase at the mid/end of July. I have at least 1 thread on each account (and 2 on Etienne's) that still require posts. I'll get to them. Maybe this weekend. Definitely not today.

And...I have a couple of write-ups that I want to look over this weekend, too. I should be able to get to everything. I don't see why not. But I guess we'll find out...

/pointless ramble
Old August 26, 2010, 03:23 PM   #39 (permalink)
Former Staff

Ragman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious Superhero

Drunky Mcdrunkypants
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2010, 01:55 PM   #40 (permalink)
Rattttt

Shush you

And... I am all caught up on all my accounts (including this one). 100%. Go me! Now I just have a whole bunch of self-mod threads hanging on Aydyn & Iseult's accounts. And another one or two or whatever commission threads to post up for Iseult. Should finish some old ones first, probably... Eventually...
Old August 30, 2010, 12:26 PM   #41 (permalink)
Rattttt

Things are changing where I work. People are leaving--quite a number of them. I believe all of these have been voluntary. People are moving on, going other places. The atmosphere has changed a lot over the years. I came into this company really enjoying the people that I worked with, the environment that they fostered. Things were fun, relaxed, social. You didn't feel like someone was breathing down your neck, looking over your shoulder, watching, waiting.

That's changed a lot. People move around feeling unhappy and monitored. They worry about when their jobs will become obsolete and they will be let go. I know because I'm one of those people and work among people who are all considering going back to school, doing something else with their lives. The publishing industry is sinking and there's little that can be done on our end about it, except wait for it to rebound...or move on.

Which is, I've decided, what I want to do. Move on, I mean. I used to really want to be a part of this industry, but there is nothing in sight of moving onwards and upwards in this industry. So many people have been let go that when a job does open up you better know someone in the company or have pristine qualifications. The pay is poor no matter which way you cut it. There's no hope for better anywhere, not from what I've seen or attempted.

So I'm moving on. In a couple of months I will be applying to attend vet tech school, starting in January for the spring semester. I came to this decision because things have been miserable and getting worse. I poked around to see what industries were remaining relatively steady and vet care was one of them and I love animals, so why not? The pay is dirt, but it's safer than where I'm at. I'm lucky that my guy fully supports my decision and so does my family.

So things will be, again, busy for me in the upcoming months. I'll be working full-time in publishing and going back to school. In May, when the first semester ends, I will have to make that decision: Do I quit my job and continue into the second semester of this new route? I'd have to because going into the second semester, with this program, requires starting a practicum with a clinic. So I'd have to quit one and claim the other.

School is scary. I've never liked it. I'm really not a science-minded person either, so that's a little intimidating for me. But I'm looking forward to it, even if it's a little intimidating. It's great to know my family has my back and supports my weird decisions!
Old August 31, 2010, 04:22 AM   #42 (permalink)
Former Staff

Ragman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious Superhero

We can chat while doing tutorials together!

Yay!

No, Lauren, I applaud your pragmatism and your desire to remain relevant in society. Education, I believe, is the BEST investment in life, and the fact that you're willing to go back to school after so many years to once again take on the role as a student to learn, says a lot about your character.

You have my congratulations!
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2010, 01:54 PM   #43 (permalink)
Rattttt

I am having total computer/screen envy right now. Our tech team just rolled out brand new 27" iMacs to my department today and they are freakin gorgeous. It blows away my little (and very slow) mac mini (I don't remember how big my monitor is, although it's not TINY either). My TV screen at home is about this size. Lame!

What I am NOT envying is this rinky-dink keyboard I now have. I love the sleek thin look Mac has started using for the keyboards, I have one at home. But I do not like that they chopped off the number pad and my favorite page up/down, home, end keys and squished the directional arrows under the right side shift key. I don't likes it. Too tiny.

These are also my first wireless keyboard/mouse, which I'm not really very keen on. Time to stock up on double A batteries. We'll see how that goes. For now just making my new computer match the old one (which is still on my desk).
Old September 13, 2010, 01:14 PM   #44 (permalink)
Rattttt

I have one word for today: RAWRRRRR (accompanied with a bunch of :< :< :< )

I really really hope that our tech teams get back on the ball and fix our problems because this week and next week are very BAD weeks to have tech problems.

(I will be incredibly busy over the next week and a half, for the record. But since our systems are totally bonked, I will be floating about a little bit every now and again.)
Old September 18, 2010, 08:22 PM   #45 (permalink)
Rattttt

Went to a nearby renaissance fair today--had an absolute blast. We hadn't been in a couple of years, for whatever reason (I think because the last time I went I had gone with my friend and her dude and all they wanted to do was window shop while I wanted to go look at the shows). Anyway. The dude and I were able to wander off and do our own thing without them, which was great.

First thing we did? Hit up a glassblowing demonstration! (Of course.) They talked all about medieval methods and the like, which was spiffy. I've never actually gotten to watch a glass demonstration before, so it was nifty to see it done since I've been playing it out for three years!! The process is really pretty much what I've researched, although it was interesting to see just how incredibly fast the glass really does harden. Reading about it you go sure, yeah, cools quickly, but...yep. It does. Really fast. And the guy could sit there and tap it with a tool and the piece received no damage. This is within a minute or two of it being out of the furnace. So. Nifty. Just a better perspective on how things are done.

Otherwise...all your typical and very basic ren fair stuff--the living chessboard, the jousting, the knife-throwing. I got to shoot some arrows off, which I haven't done in ages. I think I got more arrows in the target next to me (that I wasn't aiming at) than my own, but whatever!

Anyway. Spiffy stuff. Got a new glass piece for my little growing glass collection (a "pirate's" mug)...and wished I had seen the crystal shop earlier because they had a lot of awesomely detailed, handcrafted pieces there. Maybe next year...

A good way to spend the weekend. Glad I went up there again and reminded myself why it's a bunch of fun.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: