Old January 22, 2014, 05:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Down the Rabbit Hole

Mimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious Superhero

Pitcher [Office] Mimesis' Warren

Introduction

I feel like these things might be useful, so here goes. Hopefully this will be the place for me to keep track of stuff and for you to keep track of me!

Posting Schedule
I'm a prof (of Classics - that's Ancient Greek and Roman stuff) in rl, so I'm basically on a semester schedule. However, my work load is constantly changing according to how much I have to grade, whether I have any deadlines coming up, etc. During the week posting varies; summers (beginning of May through end of August) tend to be a lot better than fall-winter, for obvious reasons.

One thing to note is that I always, always start from the bottom of my thread list and then work upwards. What this effectively means is that the faster you post to a thread, the faster it's going to sink down to the bottom of my post list and consequently the faster I'll get to it - I don't generally keep track of when I last posted to threads. It's not a perfect system, but its convenient and, I think, fair.

General rule of thumb: PM or VM me if I have not responded to your thread in a week. I am not on chat very often, so this is generally not a good way of reaching me, but I am online a fair bit.

General Posting Information

I'm pretty easy-going when it comes to the types of threads I'll take. I tend to prefer more brainy-type and political threads to straight-up fight threads, but fight threads can be a fun change of pace too. I'm also a total sucker for Aelyrian history.

There is one thing I really don't like, and that's pc handholding. My modding philosophy is that my job is to create a rich world with multiple possibilities for interaction; your job as a pc is to explore and do something with it. I do not go into threads with preconceived notions of what the pc will need to "do" in order to achieve "success"; I try to leave pc choices as open as possible. I believe that good threads are not created for pcs by mods; good threads are created when pcs and mods work together.

In essence, in my modding I really try to live up to my name: mimesis is an Ancient Greek concept which roughly translates to being true to life, or art imitating life.

Check my Office for Carrots and Updates!
Thanks to Chary for the bunny! (x2)

Last edited by Mimesis; August 17, 2016 at 08:01 AM.
Mimesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2014, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Down the Rabbit Hole

Mimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious Superhero

Current status stuff - I'm not entirely sure whether I'm entirely back on schedule or not. I know I need to post for Iseult. *sticky-note on forehead*

I'm generally in the process of moving and looking at houses (yeah, those two somehow are somehow not mutually exclusive states ^^). Plus the "honeymoon period" of the beginning of the semester is going to be over starting next Monday, when I'm going to have my first stack of papers to grade. I feel like I'm pretty much on top of things for the moment, though?

As always, should be getting more work done. But this is not news.

Marathon training season has also started. The mileage, it is going up!

Old January 26, 2014, 06:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Down the Rabbit Hole

Sooo... I thought I was on top of things; but then I realized that I need to basically create a whole new writing sample for this postdoc I'm applying for, which is due on the 3rd, which means that I really ought to have sent out last week (Canada post is awful). The lady said it only needed to be postmarked by the third, but I don't think she realizes that if that's the case she'd probably only get it in March. (Why, why can't you accept email apps?? Especially when you're asking for a writing sample?!)

Plus the last bits of the move (and cleaning) are happening this weekend/week. I'm also going to be getting my first stack of papers tomorrow. I'm not sure when posting is going to happen between all of this. It'll happen, but... suffice to say, expect some delays.

Old January 26, 2014, 10:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Demon of Heaven

Charybdis has disabled reputation

Marathon training! Moving houses! Grading papers! I feel like our lives are mirrors! ^^;

I did my first marathon last year and loved it, so am about six weeks out from trying for my second. Getting a little nervous this year (though I think I was last year too around this time) as my mileage isn't great. Still, it's one of the big things that keeps me sane day in and day out. Good luck with yours! And your move! And your grading!
Old March 1, 2014, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Down the Rabbit Hole

OK, I thought I was getting behind, but I think I'm all caught up now! At least for my mod account. ><

Since the season's just changed, I'm going to really focus on the Xet-related threads and try to get those finished up sooner rather than later. And by sooner, I mean SOON. Those of you in those threads - you can now hold me to this. ^^

RL updates: I have good news, and better news - both of which are bad news for posting! I'm off to a conference March 13-16th, and I don't expect to be online at all the 14-16th. It should be a super fun conference, though, with good friends and people I really need to meet. Also, I'll be going to Geneva on a research scholarship for two weeks sometime in either June or July. HOORAY FOR MOSTLY FREE TRAVEL TO AWESOME PLACES!!!! (I just found out this morning, so I'm still stocked).

Old March 29, 2014, 12:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Down the Rabbit Hole

Thought I'd drop a note of explanation here since I haven't really been able to post as much as I'd like for the past week, and it's not looking much better for the next week and following, either. The end of the semester is looming, so I have a whole bunch of papers that need to be graded by the end of the week, and actually another bunch that will be coming in the week after. Plus I'm giving an hour long talk on the 7th (which I've been told works out to about 20ish pages (!) of which I now have.. oh... FOUR *que panic*) which I need to write.

So that's pretty much where I'm at at the moment. Things should be a bit better (I think?) after the talk/semester is over. Until then... yeah. Not so good.

PS: bonus cookies to anyone who can explain Hebermasian discourse ethics to me!

Old March 29, 2014, 01:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Alchemist of Swords

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Darian is a glorious SuperheroDarian is a glorious SuperheroDarian is a glorious SuperheroDarian is a glorious SuperheroDarian is a glorious Superhero
Ooooh. I wish you'd asked me that about seven years ago when I actually had a course on discouse ethics I don't remember squat about it now though.
Old April 8, 2014, 06:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Down the Rabbit Hole

People whom I'm modding - posts are coming! Woo!

General and future update - the schedule is still a bit up in the air the next few weeks (finals/other prep), but things should be better up until May. And then... then it will be bad. I'm basically going to be away conferencing/researching from the beginning of May through the middle of June. Posting will be either sporadic or possibly nonexistent - I'm not sure how much internet time I'll have in general. So I'm basically not taking new threads at the moment, and we'll see how much can be wrapped up by that point.

Things should get a lot better after I return in mid-June - it'll be summer, and while I'll still be teaching/researching, I think I should be able to get back to a quick turn-around rate in July-August.

Old June 11, 2014, 10:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Adamantite
Roscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious Superhero

This is me, vandalizing your office.

Old June 11, 2014, 11:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
civis aelyrianus sum

Wealth Tier: Steel
Alexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious Superhero

^ Trust them Lylles to always put their mark on things that aren't theirs to begin with!

Such atrocious manners!

Ducor Navarch Alexis Sapientia, Imperial Navy (Ret.)
[CIR] [Glory of the Conqueror] [SOF]
6/21/2015 - Weekend posting.

"So few have ever accepted the leadership of this land, and survived it." ~ Governor Elanara Al'lende

Alexis Sapientia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2014, 10:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Down the Rabbit Hole

A Lylles with a spray-can. What is this world coming to!

Old June 29, 2014, 06:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Down the Rabbit Hole

Assorted updates: it's remarkable how chat increases my will to post. I think I've been doing pretty well on this front for the last few days, and I've actually been finishing a few threads (o.O)!

Things are getting busier this week: I'm teaching in July, and I super seriously need to finish a paper I've been working on by the end of August. Seriously. Firm, self-imposed deadline here.

I was considering lifting my "not accepting threads" thing in my sig, but threads seem to have materialized anyway (<3) even as I've finished others, so I'm putting that on hold until after the course starts and I see how my time rejiggers itself.

Old June 29, 2014, 10:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Hero

Faengwen Tash is a glorious SuperheroFaengwen Tash is a glorious SuperheroFaengwen Tash is a glorious SuperheroFaengwen Tash is a glorious SuperheroFaengwen Tash is a glorious Superhero

Hey bunny buddy. Thought I would bring some fluff butts by to chew on your office. :3

Gray Hand ~ Residence ~ Status<-- Busy
Rep red or green as actions merit.
Faengwen Tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2014, 07:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Down the Rabbit Hole

Apologies for getting behind. Unfortunately I'm going to get more behind this weekend - July semester ended (YAY!!!) - but the turnaround for final papers/exams is hellafast, so that's what I'll be doing this weekend (and also watching Hercules? It's going to be a bad movie, I know..) I've also been trying to actually post to my pcs this week...

Fortunately, once the final grades for the course are in, there's August! August is good. I'll catch back up toward the middle/end of the week.

Old August 4, 2014, 11:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
Hero

Quilantes Zil'aven is a glorious SuperheroQuilantes Zil'aven is a glorious SuperheroQuilantes Zil'aven is a glorious SuperheroQuilantes Zil'aven is a glorious Superhero

Thanks again for clearing out those threads for me, Mimi! You da best~

Also, consider this a free IOU for peer-modding a thread for your PC if you need it

"...You Rank, Gray-Skinned Codpiece! You sniveling, tear-streaked, coattail-grasping, orc-face!
You lumpish, cabbit-brained, daydream bully! You straw-limbed, gutless, sparkle-finger-wavin' Straylor!
-igrainne
(Silly girl, she's just jealous that he's getting more action than her)
Quilantes Zil'aven is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: