Go Back   Aelyria > The Archives > Aelyria Archive > Arium > Paxia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4, 2008, 12:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tree Hugger

Striker is a glorious SuperheroStriker is a glorious SuperheroStriker is a glorious Superhero

[Residential District] The Aedile's Office

The Aedile's Office

The Aedile’s Office, commonly referred to as the pulse of Paxia, stands as a landmark on the northwestern edge of the Residential District. Rebuilt from the ground up, the stone-laid foundation reflects a mixture of dwarven and Medonian human craftsmanship. Four walls of gleaming white marble form the single-storied building, and the roof is fashioned into a circular burgundy dome that deflects the sunlight and scatters it onto the surrounding streets. Strategically located between the city’s civilian base and the more densely frequented Mercantile District, the Aedile’s Office is seldom unvisited by both residents and entrepreneurs alike. Oftentimes regarded as the epicenter for commercial and social activity, it is no wonder that the facility mirrors the pride and resplendence of its people.

Two great redwood doors serve as the office’s threshold, and past them is the main foyer which is layered by a lavish burgundy carpet. Flanking the inside of the doorway are two pots of neatly trimmed ferns, their stems rising several feet high along the walls which are, like the outside, wrought of crystalline marble. Centered in the right and the lefts walls are two wide, immaculately cleaned windows, their burgundy drapes pulled aside to permit the sunlight to filter into the room. Through the windows, it is possible to see both the Residential District to the east and the Mercantile District to the west. If one were to gander upwards, he or she would be able to perceive the bottom of the dome-shaped ceiling, perfectly sculpted and rounded by its architects.

Along the back wall is a deep-colored mahogany desk, its four legs designed like miniature pillars. On the right-hand corner are an inkpot and a feather pen, and in the middle is a dustless, crimson-bound book containing the records of the brightening’s activities. There are three luxurious chairs, all constructed of brown oiled leather, on opposing sides of the desk: two on the end facing the entrance and one on the other. Perched in the single chair is a slender, middle-aged woman dressed in a white Jaedaxian-styled blouse and a knee-length black skirt. Her long brown hair, tied into a ponytail to prevent it from falling over her pale countenance, is held in place by a sapphire ribbon. Serale and welcome to the Aedile’s Office. My name is Mayal. How can I help you? She would ask to every newcomer, her greeting typically accompanied by a timid smile.

Behind the woman’s desk is a tall wooden bookcase with five vertical shelves, each of which contains a maximum capacity of variously colored books – the property and ownership archives of the entire city. To the bookcase’s right is another redwood door, its brilliant sheen contrasting beautifully with the white marble wall that it is built into; this leads into the Senior Aedile’s Office.

Goods and Services:

Free Farm Land
Fifty acres of land are being given out for free for those interested in farming. Animals, fruits, staple crops and more can grown on these. There is a era tax of 50 gold crowns involved.

1. The farm should be actively posted to with regards to the work going on there on a regular basis. Farms which lie inactive for an era (or 10 months in real life) will be reclaimed by Paxia and the thread locked. You may, of course, try to reclaim the farm if you have been absent from the game, by returning to the Aedile's Office. Your PC should play a key part in the work. Time away for adventuring is fine but it’s expected that your PC would spend at least half of each era working and/or supervising the work on the farm. This is the trade off in terms of risk vs reward for receiving free farmland.

2. You may write what your farm looks like in regards to the free barn that is included, and the state of things. Try and keep it realistic so that there are advantages and disadvantages.

3. The type of farm you wish to run is up to you and usually runs along the lines of vegetable or fruit crops, grain or live stock, but if you have other ideas for the use of the land, that's fine as long as there is some kind of product at the end which comes from using the land. Keep in mind Paxia is rather humid and not all crops will be equally successful.

4. NPCs can be hired and controlled by you to help run the farm, but this should be roleplayed out and be realistic. It’s unlikely you will be able to hire a level three goat expert as they will be better off running their own goat farm than working for you. If you are self-modding the hiring, discuss the skills and number of NPCs you’d like to have with a Paxia moderator first before using them. Adverts for workers can be submitted to the Employment Office, or you can roleplay hiring them at any of the taverns.

5. Think about your suppliers and who you are selling your produce to. Equipment can be bought in Paxia and there is also the Market Bazaar that can supply what you need. You can also sell your produce at the Bazaar and you can set up shop on your farm and advertise. The Aediles may also buy your stock for trading beyond Paxia and you may look for other markets elsewhere. There should be some roleplay to clarify who you are selling to.

6. Profits for your farm will be awarded to you based on a number of factors which will include your PCs commitment to their farm, role play to improve your land and crop yield, the amount of competition your farm has and so on. Be aware that if outside factors come into play which affect the province – bad weather, natural disaster, war, etc., we must take these into account too.

7. Once you’re set up and working the farm, with your market established, your monthly profit will be awarded to you by the mods to add to your crown total. After that there will be a review of your profit each Junctior to see if it has increased/decreased. Players who’ve made a good commitment to their farms may even get bonuses.

8. You should maintain a record of the basic details of your farm somewhere, regarding expenses and number of workers. We suggest in your CIR, or in one OOC post within your farm thread which you update through editing.

OOCThis list taken from Trysvale, shamelessly, but with very minor edits!

NPCs:

Aedile Mayal Tutal
Secrets :
Name:
Mayal Tutal (Aedile)

Race and Gender:
Human Female

Physical Description and Behavior:
Despite her amiable demeanor, Mayal is soft-spoken and timid. She is diligent in her work, and her appearance is less of a priority than her responsibilities to Paxia. Fair-skinned with light green eyes, she wears her brown hair in a ponytail and likes to vary the color of the ribbons she uses to tie it back.

History:
Once the Assistant Aedile of Paxia, Mayal interned under Gena’ra, the respective Senior Aedile at the time. Under Gena’ra’s supervision, she learned the duties and tasks that coincided with the job, and ever since Gena’ra’s ascension to Thaneship, she has worked diligently and taken her role very seriously.

Skills:
N/A

Can this NPC be used by players in self-moderation or training situations?:
No

Senior Aedile Gandan Berker
Secrets :
Name:
Gandan Berker (Senior Aedile)

Race and Gender:
Cether Male

Physical Description and Behavior
At three feet tall, Gandan’s carriage is unimpressive. Unusually lanky, the cether’s head is crowned by a mess of brown curls and beady yellow eyes. Although known for his impatience and his disdain for the unintelligent, Gandan has been known to demonstrate some degree of altruism to those he feels sorry for; of course, his system of determining who is ‘worthy’ of his generosity is highly subjective and exclusive. For the most part, though, he tends to be grumpy and pessimistic.

History:
Gandan was the former Aedile of the office, serving directly beneath the Senior Aedile, Gena’ra, prior to his ascension to Thaneship. As Gena’ra’s right hand cether, Gandan is intimately familiar with the office’s protocol and its responsibilities to Paxia. He runs a strictly disciplined work place and, because of it, his belly has become rounder than in days past. Even though he misses the brightenings when he, Gena’ra, and Mayal had worked together for the greater good of Paxia, he has tried his best to rise to the occasion as Gena’ra’s protégé.

Skills:
N/A

Can this NPC be used by players in self-moderation or training situations?:
No

Factoid:
Secrets :
Type of Location: Governmental
Notability of Location: Common Knowledge
Training / Employment Opportunities: Yes (PM Moderator)
Can This Location Be Self-Moderated?: No
Credits: Location – GM Striker, Format – GD Gossamer

Last edited by Steve; December 12, 2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old May 19, 2008, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mythic

Erenthril Mael'tharias is a glorious SuperheroErenthril Mael'tharias is a glorious SuperheroErenthril Mael'tharias is a glorious Superhero

Last Cycle of Kalendryas, Winter Era XV
Candlemark 1100 – High Noon

“Gena’ra?” the words floated off the Syl’rosyian Elflord’s lips simultaneous to him opening the door into the Aedile’s Office, having just stepped out of an Essence Portal some few blocks away. “Quite the place you have here, I like the sto-” he stopped suddenly, recognizing not the familiar visage of the ever hospitable Katta that had assisted him in…well, assisting the city the first time the pair had met, but rather, a new entity entirely.

“Oh…um…hello. I thought Gena’ra was the Aedile here? Or..I mean, he was when I helped rebuild the walls and clear all that rubble,” he stepped into the office, facing the Cether male a short distance away from him. There was also the human female to contend with, but given her position in the room, he doubted she was the Aedile in charge here. Perhaps an assistant in training. Rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly, he offered a curt yet polite nod in her direction before moving on over to the Cether, extending his hand for a greeting. “I’m Erenthril Mael’tharias…I was interested in looking into purchasing some property here in the city. May I take a seat?” he asked, glancing around the room. Hell, this really was a step up from the tent he’d met the former Aedile in. A small frown creased the sides of his lips, as he pondered about the helpful man’s fate.

Presuming he was allowed to take a seat, well, he would. Naturally of course. Seating himself gracefully, he rested his arms on the chair and began to speak, keeping it casual. “I’ve returned in hopes of further helping set the city back up on two feet. You see, I’m the owner and entrepreneur of the Maelvonian Tradehouse in Mystique. It greatly assists the city by fluctuating the controls of imports and exports through the gates…and also serves as a place to store excess goods safely for businesses within the city. Whenever a business seeks to export some materials, I supply travelling caravans and armed protection to ensure they get their safely. Likewise, I offer storage for those businesses that create products simply too large to fit in their stores. So you see, I believe I can assist the trade of Paxia and help it back to where it once was before,” he spoke, folding his hands in his lap. Casual.

“To produce an establishment of similar size, I was interested in purchasing three twelve-thousand cubic foot lots, adjoined by two six thousand cubic foot lots. So in total, I suppose, forty-eight thousand cubic feet of land within the city. And a five-era business license…if at all possible,” he spoke quietly. Yes, he could produce the same Tradehouse design here, perhaps make it a little more pragmatic given he’d be the one constructing it, but as per floors and layout – well, he’d have just enough space to store even more of the goods coming into Paxia as the economy sought to rebuild itself. A sound investment plan indeed.

.:"Veni, vidi, dedi - I came, I saw, I gave." — Adam Tekle":.

Forget this game, but don't forget the lessons you learned from it. - Ankou
Old June 29, 2008, 06:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Famous

Adelyn Weiss is an upstanding Citizen
Beginning of Kalendryas
Era I of the Celestine Mandate
Era XV Post Fractum

Adelyn walked to Gena'ra's office to speak to him about some serious matters. Of course she worked there so she didn't go through anyone to go about asking if she could go in.

"Serale Senior Aedile Gena'ra. Do you have time to speak now or are you terribly busy?" Adelyn looked in and saw him scribbling away, making notes or signing some contract. Noticing it was okay to go in she did so and sat on one of the chairs opposite him.

"Senior Aedile, I have done quite some work here for a few months. They have been the most productive months of my life and I have been only too happy seeing Paxia rebuilt. However, I have to ask for your professional opinion. Just how much of Paxia would you say is rebuilt and how much longer will it take until it is thriving again? Also... what imports and exports have we secured this past era?" Adelyn took out her notebook full of notes, things she had written on her travels with Roland, and notes on the job. There were plenty of things she needed to ask and share with the Senior Aedile.
Old July 7, 2008, 12:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tree Hugger

Striker is a glorious SuperheroStriker is a glorious SuperheroStriker is a glorious Superhero

The office had changed considerably since the dawn of Paxia’s reconstruction. New carpets layered the reception hall’s floor, lavishly delivered from the capital of Arium, Nexus Prime. There were several paintings draped upon the walls too, their elegantly designed frames bordering aesthetic scenes of nature and other woodlands animals. And beside one of the bookcases propped against the back wall, there was a painting of a regally composed lionoid appareled in the purple robes of Paxia.

M-Miss Adelyn. It has been some time,” the woman behind the desk replied, her voice obviously underlined with confusion. “Gena’ra is no longer the Senior Aedile, I’m afraid. The Governor recently promoted him to Thane…” Smiling meekly, the receptionist set her feather pen onto the desk. Adelyn would immediately recognize her as a far more ‘dolled’ up Mayal.

Folding her hands in front of her, Adelyn’s former colleague cleared her throat. “I hope you don’t mind me answering your question, though. Thanks to a generous elementalist a few months ago, most of the city’s rubble was cleared. Construction crews from all over the Empire arrived to help us rebuild our walls. It was an amazing sight. Of course it wasn’t easy for any of us, but the basic groundwork of the city was returned. The Paxian Reciprocate House opened again, and it has been booming with activity. You should see the array of travelers we have coming to the city just to participate in one of the auctions. Sadly, the Reciprocate House is one of our only major businesses these brightenings, but it is helping immensely. Master Dario, the owner of the House, is a kind and altruistic man.

Otherwise, we’ve been lacking severely as far as imports and exports go. The harbor is almost complete, but it hasn’t been operable quite yet, and the vineyards are still being replanted, and it will take some time for the wineries to revive. But there is still the lumber coming in from Mileswick...” She paused briefly, hoping that she’d answered Adelyn’s question.
Old July 21, 2008, 11:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Famous

Adelyn Weiss is an upstanding Citizen
Laughter rung from her lips as she faced Mayal instead of the man she was accustomed to seeing Gena'ra, that she had quite forgotten the change in Aedile. She blushed heavily and bowed her head slightly to apologize, "Aedile Mayal, yes... sorry for the confusion. It's been a while and of course traveling to secure some trade routes for Paxia does awful things to the memory. Travel weary, I suppose."

She walked in further into the office, marveling at how much more feminine it was compared to the old Aedile's Office in the older building. Adelyn took a seat across from Mayal, and as the quiet woman spoke she nodded, listening intently. "Yes, I figured most of Paxia was on its way up... it's just difficult seeing the city brightening to brightening that it appears nothing has changed, but how mistaken I am! By my estimates it will be another era or so before the vineyards grow grapes... such regrowth is slow. All in good time. It makes me happy to know just how well Paxia will be by this time next era."

Adelyn had come for a reason to speak to the Aedile, however, and idle questions aside she cleared her throat to begin, "As you know I did much traveling with Roland Moonstar for the sake of my city. And we worked beside Gena'ra until he turned Thane... but by now I think it is time I retire from Paxia. There seems to be nothing more I can do. My youthful spirit is yearning for something more, yet another big project. I have dreamed of something more for a while now... and these thoughts come at an alarming rate. I hope you understand, Mayal. It's been a pleasure working with you these months... and I am sad to leave here, but it's what must be done, I can feel it." Again she cleared her throat to stop from tearing up. It just would not do to cry in front of the poor timid woman. Her hands played with the white hawk dangling from the braided bracelet in her right hand, afraid that looking up to Mayal would cause her to choke up.
Old August 2, 2008, 11:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Citizen

Nyaashka K'Baal is unknown and forgotten
OOC: I apologize for the inconvenience but if a moderator could delete this message at their convenience I would be very grateful (I couldn't find the delete post option if there is one). This message is only here because I wish to retract a post that was submitted earlier (again, sorry for the trouble).

Last edited by Nyaashka K'Baal; August 4, 2008 at 05:40 AM.
Old October 22, 2008, 06:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Adventurer

Livianna is an upstanding Citizen
Livianna opened the door slowly to the Aedile's office and quietly slipped inside. She was impressed with the decor of the office, it being such a contrast to most of city outside still in shambles. 'Well, I suppose they had to start somewhere,' she thought.
"Serale Aedile Mayal," Livianna said, smiling warmly at the woman behind the desk. "I am Livianna and I wish to purchase a house here in Paxia. I have a small budget of 700 crowns. Will it be sufficient to make a purchase?"
Old October 22, 2008, 08:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mai
Former Staff

Mai is an upstanding Citizen
Livianna

Working quite busily away on much of the new paperwork required for the rebuilding efforts Aedile Mayal barely heard Livianna enter the Office of the Aedile. Quite startled by the sound of an unrecognizable voice she spilled a bit of ink on the desk and she announced, "Oh heavens! You caught me quite by surprise there when I heard my name. Certainly I was quite focused on all this awful paperwork! It's good to see a new face in the city, but there are many of those these brightenings. Come, come, take a seat! Pleasure to meet you Livianna!" Mayal extended a hand of warm welcome to the woman.

"My, that sure is a small budget. All the houses here are brand new and so there is no damaged property I could even sell you for less. The standard houses here are on the small side, too, but let's see what I have available." Mayal pulled out a map and a bound book of properties in the main residential district. She made a hmm sound a few times and finally after some minutes returned her gaze to Livianna. "My, well... if you wouldn't mind paying in increments you could get a standard 500 square foot home or you could also try this new thing we're trying - apartments. You live in the same standard home but you share it with someone else and this costs half. It's sort of like community living. Either work, what do you say?"
Old October 23, 2008, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Adventurer

Livianna shook the woman's had, but her heart dropped when she commented on the small budget. Perhaps she should have scrounged together more money before coming here. And then when Aedile Mayal gave her the options, Livianna's spirit's soared once again.
"If it's possible, I would like to have my own house. I have come to learn and to have a quiet place of my own for me to study of my own would be best. I don't mind paying it off slowly. Could we set that up please?" Livianna replied, unable to hide the excitement in her voice.
Old October 23, 2008, 03:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mai
Former Staff

With a kind and sincere smile Mayal nodded, "Oh of course, my dear! I'm very excited for you, too! Now, I have this lovely property: 147 Penny Lane. The street isn't in the best area, in fact it's just east of the city gates, or rather in the southwestern edge of the district. But don't mind that, many of the people living around you are quite new and just making a start here as well. You ought to fit in just perfectly! How would you like to pay for the home? We can do increments of 200 gold crowns a month until you're done."

Touching the yellow ribbon on her hair subconsciously she also told her, "You know dear... if you are to keep up with your payments you may also want to consider a job somewhere nearby. You should try the Employment Office. I know Elen there can look a little intimidating but she's really the kindest thing. Tell me, what are your plans here in the city?"

The older woman began drawing up some paperwork as she asked these questions of Livianna. After all, Mayal wanted to get to know the residents of the city personally. This was one of the main reasons the Aedile's Office was located in the Residential District and not in the Governmental where all the people there carried a snooty air to them. "Oh yes, and I thought I should mention it: your property has a lovely garden out front for you to plant flowers, herbs, or what have you. It's really very quaint."
Old October 23, 2008, 05:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Adventurer

Livianna smiled back at the Aedile. She liked the woman immensely. Aedile Mayal seemed to want to help anyone and everyone find their place in the city. 'If most of the people in Paxia are like Aedile Mayal, it will flourish like no other city before it,' Livianna thought, happily.

"200 crowns a month would be perfect," she replied to the Aedile's proposal. "And I will stop by the employment office, if you wouldn't mind directing me to it. I have come to Paxia with the intentions of learning the art of Healing. Would you happen to know if the local healer is in need of help and would be able to teach his craft to a willing student?"

As Aedile Mayal drew up the paper work for the house and they conversed, Livianna fidgeted with her hands anxiously behind her back, so as not to show her nervous excitement and to maintain the appearance that she was calm and composed. She feared, though, that despite her great effort she was still failing at it. This whole experience was surreal to her. Here she was, a young elf, one who would not normally have left her parents home yet, purchasing her one of her own! She quietly took slow deep breaths and managed to bring herself back to a state of calm composure as Aedile Mayal told her about her small garden.

"A garden, really? That's wonderful!" Livianna replied, already picturing a small vegetable garden out front of her house. 'A brilliant way to save a bit of money on food and still eat well' she thought. Livianna had always had a bit of a green thumb and had always enjoyed gardening, something she and her mother had done together since she was a wee youngling.

"Is there a place in the city to purchase seeds and bulbs and other gardening tools?" she asked.
Old October 23, 2008, 08:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mai
Former Staff

"Alright then that's how I shall set up your contract, with 200 gold crowns a month in payment for 5 months until it is fully repaid. Though if you're ever in a bind monetarily please come here to see for a deferral; I'd hate to see you lose your home, dear. The employment office is in the government district in the northern parts of the city. You'll definitely see signs for it or just ask around! People are pretty friendly these days... especially after the attacks. It's just brought everyone closer," Mayal let out a small sigh, but quickly put back her smile. Positive thoughts! That would most certainly help out the city in this fragile time of rebuilding.

"Though I am afraid I don't know much about the employment here or training availability. You'll most certainly want to speak to Elen about that. She can let you know. Ah, but yes... the market bazaar pretty much has everything you'll ever need and the things it doesn't have there is likely a store making its way up soon," she informed Livianna happily. Oh all the wonderful things that would be in store for Paxia yet!

"Alright just sign this contract and you're all set! Have a wonderful brightening!" Mayal waved at the pretty elf, saying goodbye unless she had any more questions.
Old October 23, 2008, 09:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Adventurer

Livianna signed her name on the contract and smiled at Aedile Mayal.

"Thank-you so much for your help and advice," She said, smiling. She turned in one graceful movement and slipped out of the office as quietly as she had come in.
Old October 27, 2008, 12:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Citizen

Urg Tall'Fellow is an upstanding Citizen
Dusk,late Cryxatum, In the season of spring, Era XV Post Fractum

After a long first day in Paxia Urg Tall'Fellow was feeling exhausted from all the walking he had done today. He had explored the city with a vigor he had never known he had. (Though having woke up with amnesia only a few weeks ago it wasn't saying much.) As the sun began its decent to rest for the day Urg felt a small pang of sorrow deep in his gut. Ever since waking up he had not thought much about a permanent dwelling for he had not even known where he was but now that he had food in his belly he wanted a place to rest his weary feet. Unfortunatly for Urg all the inns he had come apon throught out the day had not been large enough for him to enter and so would have no lodging for one his size.

But hope was not yet gone, at the last inn he had visited the kind innskeeper had told Urg to visit the Aediles office. For there surely if anyone could help him it would be them.

And that was how Urg found himself staring down at a tiny single story buildings with a domed roof that had the irritating ability to blind him no matter how he shielded his eyes despite the waning light. Urg chuckled to himself and shook his head. Oh boy, how am I to fit in there? Perhaps I could just stick my head in or lift the roof up just enough to catch there attention... Hmmmm, I could knock i suppose. Only one way to go and that forward.

Urg rubbed his bare chin thoughtfully and decided that whichever one caused the least damage to the building would be best. Urg walked right up to the doors of the Aediles and then got on his hands and knees. He carefully opened the doors makeing sure not to tear them off their hinges and then stuck his right hand inside and snapped his fingers several times to get whoevers attention.In a loud voice to make sure he was heard he called out, Pardon me, I need a little help.

Giant,Age 65,Size 20ft, wears dark brown shirt and pants. Bald except for shoulder length pony tail. Dark brown eyes. Large warhammer strapped to back, woodcutters axe in belt loop on right side.
CIR
Old October 31, 2008, 01:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
Mai
Former Staff

Expecting another pleasant new citizen looking for a home in Paxia Aedile Mayal looked up and smiled. Her lavender bow nowbright was a little crooked, but she'd just been so busy and overwhelmed by all the building projects as of late she couldn't be bothered to be the epitome of perfection and cuteness. Tapping her cheek ever so slightly, a sign of her timid nature, she noticed the door open but strangely no person stood there. "Oh dear, how strange that is. Perhaps someone changed their mind about coming in." But no, in just a quick second a loud booming voice was heard and how it resonated in her ears. The sound gave her quite the fright and her hair stood on end. A cold shiver passed through her body.

A very large thing, a hand perhaps entered through the door and the Aedile jumped up from her seat completely startled. This was not looking to go as she'd first imagined it. A nervous giggle came from her mouth and she covered it immediately not wishing to sound rude, "Se... serale! Dear Gods! How ... may I be of assistance to you, friendly giant?" Truthfully Mayal had never conducted any business whatsoever with any giants, but there was a first for everything.