Old November 26, 2014, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Legend

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Sima Amarael is a glorious SuperheroSima Amarael is a glorious SuperheroSima Amarael is a glorious SuperheroSima Amarael is a glorious SuperheroSima Amarael is a glorious SuperheroSima Amarael is a glorious Superhero

Brightmetal (Wolfgar)

Immanis, Early Winter Era XXI PF
Brightmetal Forge, snow falls over the streets of Nexus

(Peer Moderation Approved by Maddyn)
Cold morning, winter has arrived yet the people don't seem to mind as they do the usual business they conduct in their daily lives. Busy streets and busy people would walk the street.

You have arrived a rather dilapidated structure with a sign that reads 'Brightmetal Forge' and upon seeing it you will see a young petite lady surrounded by people who are somehow shouting in disappointment or complaint.

"I want my money back." One would complain.

"I've been waiting for almost five brightenings already." Another would shout.

They'd keep on going with their rants, the other people in the street don't seem to mind the commotion, as if they are used to it but for the young lady by the shop's door.. It seems like she's about to cry.

"Master Andrus is sick, but I promise we'd do everything we can." She would try to explain but none of the crowd seem to have heard her.
Old November 26, 2014, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Citizen

Wealth Tier: Bronze
Wolfgar is an upstanding Citizen
A light layer of snow covered the barbarian's hide and fur garments like a dusting of fine powder, clinging to the hair and fiber with a tenacity that only snow and ice could muster. Though still coated with the fine layer of frost, his primitive clothing was obviously saturated with moisture, testament to the many nights already spent sleeping outside in alleys and alcoves. Where most would've yielded to the chill conditions however, Wolfgar was a barbarian of the deep mountains of Arium, and this weather was but a mere taste of the true wrath of winter. Never the less, the first lesson any boy learns in the deadly cold mountains is this; when possible, do not stay out in the cold. Therefore, he was walking the streets, searching for some sort of refuge from the weather.

The sounds of multiple voices shouting over one another drew the young barbarian's attention, and he turned his head to get a better look at what might be causing the commotion. Catching sight of the crowd surrounding a modest, if worn and weathered shop of some kind, Wolfgar made his way over to get a better look at what the situation was. He approached from behind the surge of irate patrons, dual-colored eyes glancing here and there to appraise the picture before him. His gaze caught the shop's sign, and a smile slowly formed across his visage.

A forge. Perhaps with some luck, he might actually be allowed to enter the shop and look at their wares. Empire-forged steel was still a wondrous thing to the barbarian, and he enjoyed every opportunity to appreciate the sight of it when possible.

Heedless of the particular complaints of the crowd, Wolfgar began shouldering his way directly through the middle of the mass, making his way toward the slight young lady that seemed to be the object of everyone's ire. The barbarian, standing over six-feet tall and garbed in tribal fur and hide, starkly contrasted against the normal denizens of the city, and the manner in which he forced his way through the crowd gave one the impression that this was not a man to be bullied or intimidated; least of all by the soft, spoiled traders of the Green Lands. In addition to this, his soaked furs gave off a faint odor of mildew and wet animal, akin to a wet dog perhaps, and this was on top of the smell of unwashed barbarian flesh. All said and done, he was not at that moment one whom many would want to find themselves in pressing proximity with.

Reaching the front of the crowd, Wolfgar turned and gave a disparaging glare back at the squabbling patrons, his green eye and his blue eye flashing in displeasure and his expressive mouth twisting into a fierce scowl. They were upsetting the delicate creature before him, and should she become overly distraught, he might lose his opportunity to enter the shop.

"Back you jackals, back! The young lady just explained that the Master of the shop is ill, and still you take your anger out on her? Return when the Master is well and I'm sure he will hear your grievances one at a time, not like the gaggle of livestock that you currently resemble. Leave the shop to continue it's work in peace and perhaps they can get their tasks done so that you in turn can get yours done as well."

Turning to the young lady, "Greetings. Don't let these people intimidate you, they are only brave and bold when harassing a young woman. My name is Wolfgar, son of Hrothgar, and if you could spare a moment's kindness, I would very much like to see the inside of your shop." The barbarian felt a slight blush rise to his face. "I... I have rarely seen steel in my life, and I enjoy very much looking at the miracles that skilled craftsmen can create with metal. Would you show me inside?"
CIR
Old November 26, 2014, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Legend

Sima Amarael is a glorious SuperheroSima Amarael is a glorious SuperheroSima Amarael is a glorious SuperheroSima Amarael is a glorious SuperheroSima Amarael is a glorious SuperheroSima Amarael is a glorious Superhero

They'd all run away upon Wolfgar's speech, not much because of what he said but more because of his height and odor. They are all intimidated, but the young lady would stay standing there, trying to wipe some of the tears that have formed in her eyes.

"Thanks, ..sir." Shw would say as she tries her best to stop her sobbing.

"This way please." He'd guide Wolfgar inside Brightmetal smithy. Commoners would usually get disappointed by the view, its just tragic. There are lots of holes, very few weapon displays, smells like rust more than metal. Some of the few weapon displays are already rusty too.

"I'm in charge of Master Andrus's shop right now cause he is ill. I feel very uncapable for the job cause there's too much to do and the master has very few apprentices." She would tell Wolfgar as she starts to sob again.

"What am I gonna do?" She would start crying.
Old November 26, 2014, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Citizen

Though the shop might have seemed derelict and decrepit to most of the Empire's standards, it still took the young barbarian's breath away. His gaze passed right over the holes and worn areas of the building, and instead fastened intensely on the few weapons that had been placed on display. Steel... Only the most prominent members of his tribe had carried steel weapons and tools, and even these were small, scavenged items that would've been deemed trash by most in the Empire. The exception was his father, Chief Hrothgar, whose great hammer Whraksa Ved'rae was crafted from one solid piece of high quality dwarven steel and had become a legend in it's own right in their mountain lands.

Wolfgar was suddenly concious of his own weapon, hanging forlornly at his left hip. The rough, worn iron broadsword seemed like such a primitive thing when compared to even the rusting and neglected steel weapons before him, it's dark blade pitted and chipped from years of hard work and abuse.

Coming out of his reverie, the young barbarian turned in the woman's direction as her emotions threatened to surge again and he heard her laments about the shop's work burdens and her uncertainty in how to proceed to take care of her master's business during his illness. He stood awkwardly for a moment as she cried, unaccustomed as he was to the sight of tears and outward displays of emotional vulnerability, but in that moment an idea suddenly began to form in his mind.

"Maybe... maybe I could help you?" The barbarian felt his skin flush slightly again, acutely aware of his unwashed and disheveled state. "I... I do not know much about the forging of metal or the crafting of armaments, but I learn fast and I am a good worker. I can help clean the shop and tend the weapons and armor, and with some guidance, I could help with minor repairs and jobs that would take your's or the Master's valuable time. My arms are strong and could swing a hammer with little trouble." To demonstrate this, Wolfgar brought his right arm up and flexed his bicep, the dense muscle shifting visibly under his flesh and displaying itself proudly to the young woman.

"I do not ask for much in return. Perhaps a small section of floor to sleep on when the true fangs of winter sink deep into the city. Of course, I understand if you must ask your Master's permission to make such a decision, but it would be a great honor for me if I could help with the shop's needs and learn what I can about your wondrous trade."
CIR
Old November 27, 2014, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Legend

"Really." The young lady would stop crying and look at Wolfgar's eyes as if she had seen an angel.

"I'm Anita by the way.." She would introduce herself. "Apprentice of Brightmetal's Sir Andrus." Anita would continue then wait for the kind fellow to introduce himself.

After Wolfgar has done introductions, Anita would wipe her tears.

"I can teach you a couple of things Sir Andrus has taught me, but for now we need metal." She would take a look at a list on her desk, probably the shop's inventory.

"No one has gone back yet on the collection, perhaps because of the cold weather. We need to have metal to produce wares. Would you be willing to collect scrap metal for Brightmetal?" Anita would ask.
Old November 27, 2014, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Citizen

It was a challenge for the barbarian to hide his overwhelming elation at the young woman's positive reaction to his proposal, though a broad, warm smile did cross his face, revealing teeth that were remarkably well aligned and white for a man who'd lived his entire life in a deep mountains tribal society.

"Anita, it is an honor and a pleasure to know you. Again, I am Wolfgar of the Whraksa H'ndrii."

Wolfgar's smile broadened even further as the young lady mentioned imparting the knowledge and skills to him that she had learned from Master Andrus, but he remained focused on Anita's words and listened as she spoke of needing materials for the shop to continue producing it's wares. What Anita might not've known at the time was that, having now earned Wolfgar's trust and appreciation, the barbarian would go to any lengths to see that she and the shop itself had anything they needed to succeed. Loyalty and duty were highly valued characteristics among the Whraksa H'ndrii, and Wolfgar considered himself indebted to the young woman and her Master for the opportunity to work in their forge. Brightmetal had just earned itself a fiercely loyal and endlessly resourceful asset.

"Of course I will collect metal for the shop, it would be an honor. The cold does not bother me, and I will gather as much as you need as quickly as possible." The young barbarian quickly slung his wooden shield off his back and set it leaning against the shop's wall, then removed his iron broadsword from his hip and leaned it next to the targe shield. He wouldn't need his armaments to collect materials, and they would only further weigh him down once he was burdened with his gains.

Glancing again at Anita, "Is there an area you know of that I might find some of this 'scrap' metal, or should I just... find it where I can?" The glint in his eye and the way he spoke the word 'find' might remind Anita that in the world of the barbari tribes, one often took what one needed, usually by stealth or by sword. If she wanted to avoid any possible unpleasantness, she would probably want to direct the young barbarian to a supply of metal that, perhaps, did not already belong to another resident of the city.
CIR
Old November 28, 2014, 05:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Legend

"I do not really know as I'm not a collector." Anita would say, she'd be biting on her fingernails just to think and come out with an answer.

"The collectors say they go to the junkyard for scrap metal, but I don't know where that is." She would nervously add.

"You can take the cart at the back alley if you need." Anita would add.

Secrets :

For the junk collection, I'd leave you to post how you managed to collect at least 4 scrap metals from wherever in Nexus. Be creative and try to establish your character's quirks.

Old November 28, 2014, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Citizen

Wolfgar nodded as the woman spoke, though his mind was already seeking an answer to the quandary at hand. Being a transient resident of the city, he had glimpsed many of the locations and establishments that Nexus Prime could boast of, and he now mentally went through these areas in search of a place that might provide at least a portion of the scrap metal that Brightmetal Forge needed to conduct it's business. He, like the young lady, had never come across this 'junkyard' either, however it was reasonable to assume that he might run into an individual that knew of it's location, and he had some ideas where he could find just such an individual.

At the mention of the cart, the young barbarian looked back at Anita and smiled in gratitude, "Thank you Anita, the cart would help me greatly. I will get started on collecting the metal for you right now."

The first location that Wolfgar had in mind was one of the busiest and most prominent trade locations in the entire city, the Private Trade Circle. The vendors there sold some of the highest quality goods in the city, and he hoped it was reasonable to believe that some of them might have some derelict, damaged or otherwise un-sellable merchandise that they might be willing to part with. At the very least, he hoped that he might be able to gather some information about the 'junkyard' or perhaps another location that might yield more fruitful gains.

Nodding his farewell to Anita, the barbarian made for the door, but paused a moment as his hand extended toward the door's handle. He had heard rumors about the Circle's less than law-abiding elements, as well as the density of the city's constabulary in the area for just that reason. With the shop's cart to carry his scrap metal finds he would not be as burdened as initially expected, and so the barbarian turned and grabbed his iron broadsword from where he had set it against the wall, sliding it as casually as possible into it's leather loop on his hip. Though he did not foresee any reason why he would need it for this errand, one could never be too careful in a large, bustling city like Nexus Prime.

Throwing another warm smile towards Anita, Wolfgar made his way out of the building and continued around to the back alley to retrieve the shop's cart. He would then begin making his way towards the center of the city, towards the Private Trade Circle, all the while glancing down side streets and back alleys and keeping his eyes open for any and all pieces of discarded metal that he might come across as he negotiated his way through the city.
CIR
Old November 28, 2014, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Legend

Rusty pipes. Old wheels. Broken Kitchenware. A Pan. Abandoned farm tools. An old metal watering tool. Scrap metals everywhere, ofcourse the competition blacksmiths won't give Wolfgar their metals but the gadgeteers seem to dispose a lot of what he needed.

Time flew, three candlemarks has passed before Wolfgar could even get his cart full of what he is looking for. His cart is now quite heavy. Wolfgar would have a hard time getting it back to Brightmetal.

Last edited by Sima Amarael; November 28, 2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old November 28, 2014, 11:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Citizen

Grunting as he hoisted the last piece of scrap metal into the cart, Wolfgar stood back and beamed with pride at the collection that he had accumulated. A supply like this should more than please Anita, and with any luck, it would be enough to allow the shop to continue it's business for a little while. Yes, it had been a very productive day indeed.

Still smiling, the young barbarian positioned himself in front of the cart again, grasped it's handles and began pulling it forward in the direction of the Brightmetal Forge. To his dismay however, the cart refused to budge. Raising an eyebrow in consternation, he turned and glanced back at the mass of metal as though it had insulted him, his pleased smile slowly fading into a look of wry, sardonic humor.

Of course; The god-cursed thing weighed an incredible amount now.

Sighing to himself, Wolfgar gripped the handles as tightly as he could, braced his feet securely on the street, and pulled with all his might. His powerful muscles bulged and swelled with the strain, and he grimaced with sheer determination and stubbornness. Sure enough, he felt the cart's wheels begin to yield to his force, and with agonizing slowness, the cart rumbled forward a couple of inches. With some momentum now gained, the barbarian took a painstaking step forward, managing to gain another inch or two of progress. Another step, and another inch of progress. Sweat now beaded on his forehead despite the chill in the air, and his breath steamed in the winter air as it escaped through his clenched teeth.

One final step, two more inches, and the young barbarian was forced to let the cart's handles drop from his shaking grip. Swearing loudly in his native language, Wolfgar turned and gave the cart a blistering glare, as if it was somehow deliberately making his life harder than it needed to be. Wolfgar stretched his muscles and flexed his hands as he weighed the options available to him. It was possible that he could drag the cart back to the forge himself, inch by painful inch, relying on momentum and sheer determination alone, but that would take quite a long time and would tax his body in a decidedly uncomfortable way. Another option would be to find another able-bodied man that happened to be out at this hour, and perhaps convince him to assist in wheeling the scrap metal to it's final destination. Wolfgar had no coin with which to pay such a person, but perhaps he could offer him some sort of trade in return. Maybe a free repair of some metal item that the individual owned and needed mended or maintained.

It seemed as good an idea as any at the moment, and so the young barbarian stood by his cart, casting his gaze up and down the streets in the hopes that he would spot a strong-looking man walking by, and if one happened along then Wolfgar would approach him in a casual, friendly manner and present his dilemma and offer.
CIR
Old November 28, 2014, 11:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Legend

"Ah, You are Mister Wolfie right?" Wolfie? A tall, stocky, blonde haired man would approach Wolfgar. "Miss Anita has been worried where you've been."He would say and look at the cart behind Wolfgar.

"Let me help you with the cart. Andrus's new apprentice eh?" He would offer and ask.
Old November 29, 2014, 12:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Citizen

The smile immediately returned to the young barbarian's face as the tall man approached and addressed him. It was if the Gods had been watching all the while and decided to continue to give Wolfgar the assistance he needed, and the barbarian could not believe his good fortune.

"Yes friend, I am Wolfgar." The young warrior made no mention of the mispronunciation of his name, for as far as he was concerned, if the man was willing to help move the cumbersome cart, he could call Wolfgar whatever he pleased.

"I did not mean to worry Anita, though I admit I lost track of the day while I tried to collect this metal for her shop. I thank you very much for your help my friend, you come as if flown in on the wings of a prayer. And yes, I am Master Andrus' new apprentice..." Here Wolfgar paused, and he grinned at the blonde man, "Well, I hope to be a new apprentice. I only met Anita today and this is the first task that I have been given to help her and the Brightmetal Forge. Thats why I greatly appreciate your assistance with this burden."

Grasping the handles of the cart again, the young barbarian turned and glanced once again at the man.

"Forgive me friend, but I did not get your name. What may I call you?"
CIR
Old November 29, 2014, 12:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Legend

"My name is.." Before the man could even introduce himself, an apple would land on his face from a distance. "Haha, Tomas. What are you doing in this part of town, shouldn't you just be in the junkyard." Wolfgar would find a group of other men in the street.

"Don't mind them, let us move on." It is as if nothing happened for Tomas, he pulled the cart to help Wolfgar. The other men would continue to follow.

"Brightmetal people should not come here and just stay on their junkshop." Teasing and taunting would follow but Tomas would not mind. They would be throwing stuff that would hit both Tomas and Wolfgar.

"Let them, Master Andrus wouldn't want us to go starting a fight with the other smith apprentices." Tomas would just smile and keep pulling the cart.

After a while they'd finally arrive Brightmetal.

"Anita, we're back!" Tomas would shout. Anita would go out of Brightmetal, and as always, she looks like she's about to cry.
Old November 29, 2014, 05:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
Citizen

Wolfgar's head whipped around instantly as the first apple struck Tomas' face, a look of mingled surprise and anger swiftly crossing the young barbarian's features. His dual-colored eyes narrowed dangerously as he caught sight of the group of men taunting and harassing his new friend, and his mouth began to slowly curl into an almost feral looking snarl. These men had obviously never challenged or insulted a blooded warrior of the Whraksa H'ndrii, First Clan of the barbari nation of the Aesir, and Wolfgar meant to instruct them in such a manner that they never made that particular mistake again.

Tomas' calm and rational voice penetrated the barbarian's veil of outrage however, and Wolfgar had to admit that the man's maturity and level-headed demeanor was indeed the correct response to the unwarranted provocation. Swallowing his anger and his pride, Wolfgar nodded in response to his friend and he began pulling the cart with Tomas, keeping his eyes forward and doing his best to ignore the fools behind him.

That was until one of the group's projectiles struck him.

"Rajoska!" The word burst from Wolfgar's mouth, his anger causing him to revert back to his native language. He whirled around, eyes blazing, and his hand moved as if with a will of it's own towards his broadsword's hilt. His fingers had just begun to curl around the weapon's grip when Tomas wisely invoked the name of the barbarian's new Master, and made it clear that a confrontation with these fools would only displease Andrus.

Wolfgar cast a sideways glance at Tomas, almost frustrated with the man for his logical and rational patience, but again, the young barbarian was compelled to yield to the man's commendable reaction. Stifling his anger, Wolfgar grabbed the handle of the cart once more and utilized his frustration by dragging the heavy burden with the rage and adrenaline that smoldered like an ember within him, and combined with Tomas' additional muscle, the two men made the trip back to Brightmetal Forge in impressive time.

Tired and sore but immeasurably proud, the young barbarian had now put the ugly incident out of his mind and was eager to show Anita the bounty that he and Tomas had brought for the shop. His smile returned as Tomas called out to the young woman, however when she appeared, the smile slowly faded from his features. Gods... this fragile creature weeps with every breath she takes, Wolfgar thought to himself, but he hid his observations behind a stoic countenance and took a slow, measured step in the young woman's direction.

"Anita, what troubles you? Look..." The barbarian half turned and gestured towards the full cart. "We have brought a great quantity of metal for the shop."

Turning back to face Anita, concern evident on his face, "What is it that makes you weep? Is there something else I can do for you?"
CIR
Old November 29, 2014, 05:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
Legend

"Thought you got lost and got mugged.. and.. and.." Anita would just start to cry.

"I got this, why don't the two of you go inside the workshop now and get something to drink." Tomas would signal Wolfgar that he'll be the one handling the scrap metal. He'd smile despite what they have been through earlier.

As for Anita, she won't stop crying yet. Wolfgar would enter Brightmetal with Anita. Some other apprentices were there fixing the shop, cleaning up. There are broken glass shards on the floor, someone must have thrown stones at the forge.

Anita would stop crying and look at Wolfgar.. "Take a rest for now, I'll go get something to drink." Anita would go run to where the kitchen must be.

Wolfgar may sit on the wooden bench near a really big box of some scrap metal. Tomas would be carrying the scrap metal Wolfgar got from his run and transfer it inside the box. The apprentices would go clean up the shards of glass on the floor.

After waiting some time, Anita would return with a tray of mugs of hot chocolate for the entire workshop.

"Here's for everyone's hardwork."She would smile, and yes, she's prettier when she smiles.

"Thaankss."One of the apprentices would get one. Then Tomas, then the other apprentice.

"Hey Wolfie, I made one for you too."Anita would call out.