Go Back   Aelyria > The Archives > Aelyria Archive > Arium > Nexus Prime

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 13, 2013, 02:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Legend

Ceniel is a glorious SuperheroCeniel is a glorious SuperheroCeniel is a glorious SuperheroCeniel is a glorious SuperheroCeniel is a glorious SuperheroCeniel is a glorious Superhero
What is Magic, A Brief Explanation with Demonstration (PM for Invite)

Timestamp: Autumn of the Era XX, During the Xet Invasion
OOCIn this thread Ceniel is looking to teach someone sorcery. Please check with a mod if you want to be the new student. Normal fees still apply although Ceniel teaches some of his own spells to his students so it's a good deal for your money in my opinion.
Ceniel sat in his office in the Rainbow Towers, in one hand he idly held a recently published book on elementalism. The elven magus had always found it prudent to be as well read as possible in matters both arcane and mundane and his access to the Rainbow Tower's library had become a treasure beyond compare. That brightening, however, was an important one. A new student had apparently made it through whatever crazy test the receptionist had concocted and decided to become a sorcerer. It was Ceniel who had been handed the job of teaching this new student.

While he could have refused the assignment, his study of planar theory having consumed the entirety of his summer, he found it prudent to have something else to keep his attention. As such it was with a small amount of excitement that he awaited his newest student's arrival.

His room was immaculate for once. The bookshelves against the wall to his left had been straightened and cleaned. His desk had been polished by an employee of the Towers. His papers and scribbles had been safely tucked away and the chairs, carpet, and small table which occupied the center of the room had been straightened and dusted. When he'd first arrived he'd thought he'd walked into the wrong room. Instead it seemed that the archmage had decided that every room in the Tower's had needed a good cleaning.
[7/28/15] I am taking a break from this game. I don't know if I'll be back. Messages sent to me will be directed to my e-mail. I thank everyone who has played with me over the years, I hope you all continue to explore and create this fantasy world which is like no other.
Old October 15, 2013, 11:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Mind Sculptor

Jace is a glorious SuperheroJace is a glorious SuperheroJace is a glorious SuperheroJace is a glorious SuperheroJace is a glorious SuperheroJace is a glorious SuperheroJace is a glorious Superhero

oocAlright, no one joined so I'll post with you. This will be a different kind of thread. You will teach my NPC, I will act as a Player and you as a Mod, but I will determine when the spells made by my NPC are a success or not, in order to allow you RP a bit more :)

Indeed, the new student arrived in that very morning. He was a young man, maybe with seventeen ordinations. He was a tall man, but his body wasn't strong. He needed more muscles, indeed. His hair was long enough to cover his eyes and one of his teeth was too big. His eyes were dark brown and his skin was pale. That man needed some vitamins, indeed.

Someone knocked Ceniel's door and waited for an answer. As soon as Ceniel gave permission to enter, the young man would enter, close the door behind him and bow to his professor.

"Serale, Master Ceniel, my name is Krios and I am here to learn Sorcery."

He said and stood there, on foot, waiting for an answer, instructions, something to do.
Old October 15, 2013, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Legend

Ceniel is a glorious SuperheroCeniel is a glorious SuperheroCeniel is a glorious SuperheroCeniel is a glorious SuperheroCeniel is a glorious SuperheroCeniel is a glorious Superhero
A knock issued forth from Ceniel's door and the elf magus slowly set his book aside. After a moment he spoke, "Enter."

The man entered the room and Ceniel scrutinized him. Hair, skin, teeth, eyes, height, age. He then turned his attention to the man's clothes, what kind they were and of what quality.

"Serale, Master Ceniel, my name is Krios and I am here to learn Sorcery."

A brief smile crossed the young elf's features, "Indeed, I was expecting you." He gestured to one of the armchairs, "Take a seat, I will need to ask you a few questions before unbinding you. Do not fear, you've already passed your test. This is just some general information so I can keep records."

Drawing a sheet of parchment from his desk the elf glanced back up at his student, quill poised. The room fell quiet, the soft light cast by a Glowing Sphere was the only source of illumination. The parchment rustled slightly as Ceniel rested his hand on it, his emerald eyes coming up to gaze at his new student.

"I will need your full name, your occupation, and what drew your interest to the art of sorcery."
[7/28/15] I am taking a break from this game. I don't know if I'll be back. Messages sent to me will be directed to my e-mail. I thank everyone who has played with me over the years, I hope you all continue to explore and create this fantasy world which is like no other.
Old October 16, 2013, 09:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Mind Sculptor

Jace is a glorious SuperheroJace is a glorious SuperheroJace is a glorious SuperheroJace is a glorious SuperheroJace is a glorious SuperheroJace is a glorious SuperheroJace is a glorious Superhero

The boy looked around and his eyes stopped in the Glowing Sphere. He eard Ceniel's instructions, but something woke him up.

"Test? What test? I don't remember about doing any test...?"

He thought about what could he be thinking, but the next question came and Krios began to answer.

"Hmmm... Name is Krios Kazar, I am 17 Ordinations and the motive I want to learn Sorcery is because our family is poor, and we work in the farms. With sorcery, I can help them, giving energy to the things and all that. We like to work, we just need to work faster... That's why I didn't choose druidism. Despite of that, I like the idea of teleportation..."

The boy answered, looking to the Glowing Sphere and wondering if he could do it too.
Old October 17, 2013, 07:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Legend

Ceniel was a little curious about Krios confusion, but then again the test wasn't always obvious. In exceedingly rare cases there wasn't a test at all. He waited an instant before beginning to write down what his new student said.

If wasn't a standard reason for learning sorcery, in fact Ceniel was tempted to point him to the sphere of druidism or elementalism for his needs. Then again, he wanted to learn to teleport which could only be accomplished with sorcery or very experienced mages from the other spheres.

That really wasn't a great reason to learn magic though.

Then again it had been his own reason.

Damn.

The scratching of his quill ceased and he sat up thinking. The quill rested on his forefinger and he idly brushed the feather with his thumb. It was a hawk feather quill, rather simple but it was an animal he felt a measure of affinity for. Partly because he spent time as a hawk and partly because of their grace and power. Looking over at Krios he thought the man more resembled a mountain goat.

Seeing the man hadn't sit he pointed with the quill, the feathered end cutting through the air, "Take a seat." Once Krios had sit down Ceniel began to speak, "In order for you to learn sorcery I need to teach you a few basic concepts first. Please pay careful attention as they are integral to your ability to use sorcery safely and effectively. Once you have listened I will unbind you and we can start with the actual spells."

Placing the quill on the table Ceniel called over the glowing sphere and held it out to Krios, "This is the most basic spell, and it is also a very good start for your lesson." Letting go of the sphere he steepled his fingers and waited for Krios to take it.

When, or if, Krios did he would the surface to be slightly spongy in nature. "What do you think would happen if you cut this sphere in half. Specifically, what shape would the two halves take?"
Old October 17, 2013, 11:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Mind Sculptor

Krios was waiting. Patiently, for something, a word, a lesson, something! The... Elf? Was writing notes, more and more, and stopped. And now...? It was now? Maybe? Yes.

Krios sat and nodded to his professor. He listened the instructions, what maybe what scared him most was the unbinding part. Well, it was something natural in the most students.

Ceniel proceeded with his explanation, until he did a very curious question; At the same time, Krios felt the sphere in his hands. It was... Strange... He never thought he could touch in a spell... Then he answered the question.

"Erm.... Well... I.... I always thought it would disappear... After all you are disturbing the mass of energy, the core, right? Once disturbed, it should... Disappear?"

He tried, looking to the Master Ceniel...
Old October 30, 2013, 06:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Legend

Ceniel blinked. Well that was both fortunate and unfortunate. His student was intelligent. While that meant it would be easier to teach him sorcery, it also meant that he'd have to make his examples much more explicit.

"Yes, you're right of course but let's assume the spell didn't collapse. What shape would the halves take?"
Old November 2, 2013, 05:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Mind Sculptor

The young was confused, however he answered.

"Well... Two spheres? If you split one drop of water in two, you will have two drops. So, why not two spheres? Am I correct?"

Inside his head, it was something that made sense... Perhaps that wasn't what made sense in Ceniel's head?
Old November 16, 2013, 07:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Legend

Ceniel nodded and with a small wave of his hand the sphere split, the rough edges quickly collapsing into perfect spheres. "It seems you already understand the basic idea of energy even though you've never used sorcery."

Ceniel gestured to the sphere, "Energy is the most basic of the powers we can manipulate, but also one of the most hazardous. Energy wants to flow in certain ways; controlling and directing that flow is the most basic premise of Sorcery. What separates a good sorcerer from a great one is how well they understand how the energy wants to flow."

He tapped his finger on the table and then said, "I had thought I'd need to explain more, but it seems you understand the premise so delaying your unbinding will only hinder our lessons." He took a breath and then drew up a surge of power. "This should only take a moment, just relax." His vis spread out and settled over the apprentice's mind. After a moment or two he would locate the threads which sealed away the man's latent potential. It only took a small twist, and then a surge of sorceric magic to break the threads and unbind him to be a sorcerer.

Of course that was on Ceniel's end of things. To Krios it would seem very different as each person's unbinding was unique.
Old November 17, 2013, 09:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Mind Sculptor

Krios fell asleep when Ceniel did the technique Unbound. The boy crossed the veil of his own mind, reaching the Plane of Force for the first time. Some time passed and finally he woke up...

"Good morning mo-- Hold on, where am I?"

The boy looked around and saw Ceniel. He sat again in the chair, very straight.

"Oh I am sorry, I fell asleep!! I had a weird dream! I saw an empty dark space with a lot of those spheres you shown to me, and there I touched in them and collected them all! Inside a hat! And then I began to throw them, and they did a path! The path led me to a giant Sphere, and then I touched in the sphere, and the sphere pulled me inside and then I saw stars, big rocks and light everywhere! And, and, and...!"

The boy stopped to breath.

"Oh, sorry again, I guess this is just stupid and a child's dream..."

oocMorgan, feel free to jump in
Old November 18, 2013, 08:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Adventurer

Morgan Gray is an upstanding Citizen
A tap came again from the threshold, and should Ceniel or his apprentice happen to look up, they would notice a young man with short brown hair peeking through the door, evidently left ajar by Krios. Morgan's face was contorted slightly in quiet snickering at the boy's fanciful dream.

When the snickers subsided, Morgan let himself in. "I hope I'm not interrupting anything?" Now fully through the door, the room's occupants could see that the young man rose to about six feet, dressed in a light leather jacket with a scarf around his neck, concealing a thin gold chain from which it seemed hung a coin.

"I'd heard there was a demonstration or something as I passed by, but I have to admit I'm a bit thrown off. If it's not any trouble, do you mind filling me in?"

He strode into the room as if he owned it and fell into one of the armchairs, taking a cursory observation of the room, Ceniel, and his apprentice.

The man who could Steal his way into your Palace, your Safe, and your Pants.

Timestamps Map
Old November 28, 2013, 11:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Legend

Ceniel watched as his student fell asleep, nodding once to himself and then pulling out a manuscript which he began to annotate as he read. It was really quite fascinating, the only problem he had was there were very few people who actually understood what he was doing. Of course he could explain, but they wouldn't truly understand, they'd have some cursory knowledge, sure, but they wouldn't know the gravity of what he was trying to do. Of course that was part of the problem, what he was working on was so complex and... well... new that there just wasn't a lot written about it. In fact most of what he read was extremely old and the only way he could make it work in the present magical system was with a lot of very careful reweaving.

What was he doing? Well, that was a secret.

So it went that he worked his way steadily down the first page before bringing out another and repeating the process. He was a fair bit of the way through his twenty-third page when his student awoke.

"Oh I am sorry, I fell asleep!! I had a weird dream! I saw an empty dark space with a lot of those spheres you shown to me, and there I touched in them and collected them all! Inside a hat! And then I began to throw them, and they did a path! The path led me to a giant Sphere, and then I touched in the sphere, and the sphere pulled me inside and then I saw stars, big rocks and light everywhere! And, and, and...!"

Ceniel nodded as his student began to ramble off, "Weird is a good descriptor for an aw..."

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything?"

Ceniel watched as a man entered his study, plopping himself into one of the other armchairs without much fuss. Well... this was annoying, he hadn't been expecting another student. The elven magus tapped his quill against the inkwell and stared at the intruder, "It's not polite to barge in on other people's sessions you know. The door is there for a reason." He flicked a glance at the treacherous door which was still a jar and flicked his quill at it sending a brief push of force essence toward and into it, abjuring it closed.

Once that was done he rubbed the bridge of his nose and replaced the quill. "Well, I suppose the door was open. Very well, we are currently in the first lesson which is a discussion on what magic is and how it functions."

Looking back over to his student Ceniel asked him, "Are you opposed to someone sitting in on your lesson? If so I can remove him. Otherwise we will continue as scheduled."