Old September 3, 2013, 09:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Notable

Wealth Tier: Steel
Aeredith Verlaine is a famous HeroAeredith Verlaine is a famous Hero

Dice Roll

T E M P R I S
X X
P F

"Mileswick."

"Yes, My Lady."

She sits back, leaning into the high back chair, eyes dart around the environment of her office.

"How strong is their defensive line back to the Fog?"

"We cannot say."

"If they have a defensive line back to the west then we are are being strangled here, Yes?"

To that there is no reply.

"We are being strangled. They are not attacking us directly, they are wanting to weaken us first. Why Mileswick?" she stands, fingernails absently tapping upon the mahogany of her desk.

"Look at it's position on the map." Emmerick steps forward to lean upon the opposite side of her desk.

"Central. Trade routes. Close enough for raids. Mileswick."

"What of our Wardens, what of the Fleet?"

"No word."

"Get word." she snaps, and begins to pace. Her mind alight with images of all her carefully laid plans for the city running away from her. The Great Undertaking, a network of information culminating in the forcible conscription of every criminal element. Criminals turned Legion to be armed and armoured, sent out post-haste as an expendable force, fighting for their freedom, flung to Xet invaders under the banner of Nexus Prime.

Tatters.

All those whose names she would have claimed, names she would have seen cleansed in the light of Ioannes and, with their actions, burned like lightning bolts with the fervour of faith and a freedom reclaimed through bravery against the Black Tide.

Tatters.

Where to go now? For the doom she had felt with such intensity was now there for all to see. The black had stretched out like spilled ink into the east and had begun to swallow all before it. Heart pounding, pacing back and forth unsure of which way to turn, who to turn too.

"There's not enough time."

Who will speak? Who do we speak too? What is Nexus' reply? Such grandiose questions raced through her, a sizzling upswell of anxiety that she could no longer quell. The slumbering city of stone that had claimed her heart now utterly silent in the face of such overwhelming adversity. It could no longer carry on as such, she would refuse to see it taken. She would refuse outright. Desperate times called for desperate measures and she, as a mere servant of the city, would now act accordingly.

"Forgive me this, Emmerick. I will understand if you do not wish to follow me, but now is the time that actions must be taken. I have been tasked with a multitude of responsibilities and I simply cannot stand on the sidelines any longer with this.. with this silence.

It is killing me, Emmerick. It is killing me.

She turns to face him, tearful now.

"Bring me my Justicars, bring me every Guard in the Grendenberghe, bring them all..

We are going to see the Thane.
"
A N G E S H A P E S
W I T H P R O T E U
S S E T M U R D E R
O U S M A C H I A V
E L T O S C H O O L