Old May 8, 2013, 12:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Former Staff

Catalyst is a glorious SuperheroCatalyst is a glorious SuperheroCatalyst is a glorious SuperheroCatalyst is a glorious SuperheroCatalyst is a glorious SuperheroCatalyst is a glorious Superhero

Council of war

Spring, Era XX

On one fine but cold spring day, the Nexus city council convened to discuss what was to be done in preparation for the Xet. It was suggested that members of the council treat this meeting as important and try their best to be present. The representatives filed in, each taking their customary places in the room behind small desks on which they could make their notes.
Old May 8, 2013, 09:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Legend

Lightem Massani is a glorious SuperheroLightem Massani is a glorious SuperheroLightem Massani is a glorious SuperheroLightem Massani is a glorious SuperheroLightem Massani is a glorious SuperheroLightem Massani is a glorious Superhero

It was the first time that Lightem would sit in a place where the future of the city would be discussed, the first place he was able to do something for Nexus Prime. He entered in the room and took his sit, waiting for the rest of the people. Lightem was the representative of the Illuminated Savants, and he thought about some things that should be changed. To protect the city, to protect the mages, to protect the future of the Empire.

He didn't forgot about the promise he made to his friend Aelwynd, and the first thing Lightem would say should be pointing him as a professor of Sorcery in the Rainbow Towers. As soon as he was given word to speak. - "Serale, Council. My name is Massani, Lightem. I was nominated Representative of the Illuminated Savants, as you should already know. The first issue I want to discuss is a new Sorcerer's Professor to the Rainbow Towers. His name is Aelwynd Maar and he is a very talented Mage. He is Adept. And he fought with me against something that appeared in our way. I saw with my one eyes what he know to do." - Lightem waited to some reply of someone, and then he would hear all the conversation, waiting for his time to speak once again.

oocCatalyst, you forgot to link the thread in the PM. maybe you should send it again to Alexis, with the link? :b

Last edited by Lightem Massani; May 12, 2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old May 9, 2013, 01:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Steel
Alexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious Superhero

Ring Enter Alexis Sapientia.

His Imperial Excellency and Imperial Grace arrived discreetly, wearing a black-leather greatcoat above his naval uniform, sable leather gloves to knee-high riding boots, a worn chain of office displaying the arms of Arium surmounted by the Imperial crown adding distinct color and complementing his blonde-brown locks, cerulean eyes, and otherwise fair features.

Tightly clutching his ivory rod of office, the very same one with the golden Imperial Warbird at its finial, he took a vacant seat, watched, and waited.

Ducor Navarch Alexis Sapientia, Imperial Navy (Ret.)
[CIR] [Glory of the Conqueror] [SOF]
6/21/2015 - Weekend posting.

"So few have ever accepted the leadership of this land, and survived it." ~ Governor Elanara Al'lende

Old May 10, 2013, 03:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hero

Charlotte Al'lende is a glorious SuperheroCharlotte Al'lende is a glorious SuperheroCharlotte Al'lende is a glorious SuperheroCharlotte Al'lende is a glorious SuperheroCharlotte Al'lende is a glorious Superhero

Given her new position and scope of responsibilities it was expected of her to be present in this meeting. The ordering of the cities defenses was something she was deeply involved with. By the will of her superiors and Thane Grace of Nexus Prime had she been setting plans into motion and lending her hand in the design of these defenses though it was only time that would tell if the part she played would make a difference at all.

She wondered who had been invited to this council beyond the obvious. Alexis was present, naturally but which others would be here. Would merchants and craftsmen representing the guilds be there? Surely the leaders of the provincial armies and those of the local militia be joining them?

Anticipating the worst she had come wearing the dress uniform of the legion opposed to more practical work clothes so he would not draw the attention - or too much from scrutinizing highborn if such would be present.
Old May 12, 2013, 01:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Former Staff

Catalyst is a glorious SuperheroCatalyst is a glorious SuperheroCatalyst is a glorious SuperheroCatalyst is a glorious SuperheroCatalyst is a glorious SuperheroCatalyst is a glorious Superhero

The representatives of the the guilds of Nexus had all arrived, and a natural silence fell over the room. Alexis, being governor, was given a seat on the dias at the front of the room, with Charlotte sitting in any of a row of chairs behind him.

Callister Fourhammers, head of the Nexus council stood and mounted the dias at the right most edge, so that he might speak and yet not stand disrespectfully in front of the governor.

"Good brightening lords and ladies, and your imperial excellency. We are meeting here this brightening to discuss the threat posed to our province by the Xet on our Western border. It is not within the scope of this assembly to dictate strategy to the military; however, if there are preparations to be made, and I do hope that there shall be, they must be decided upon and ratified here. Let us use the time we have productively."

"Lady Charlotte Al'lende has been making a survey of our available forces, and perhaps she wouldn't mind giving us an overview of her findings and suggestions. We would also like to hear from the representative of the Illuminated Savants as to what sort of things the mages can do for us, and if they need an infrastructure for their schemes. We will of course listen with great interest to all our new governor has to say, and I expect his military experience will be quite valuable."
Old May 12, 2013, 04:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Legend

Lightem Massani is a glorious SuperheroLightem Massani is a glorious SuperheroLightem Massani is a glorious SuperheroLightem Massani is a glorious SuperheroLightem Massani is a glorious SuperheroLightem Massani is a glorious Superhero

Lightem stood in silence, waiting for his time to speak and hearing the Governor and Charlotte talking. So, a Captain to organize the militia and the military force. That should be interesting. Maybe Lightem could share with her some experience and ideas. Either way, Lightem was there to discuss the Mages' issues and what can they do not only for the city, but for the Empire too. When finally he could speak, he would talk about Aelwynd.
Old May 12, 2013, 11:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hero

Charlotte Al'lende is a glorious SuperheroCharlotte Al'lende is a glorious SuperheroCharlotte Al'lende is a glorious SuperheroCharlotte Al'lende is a glorious SuperheroCharlotte Al'lende is a glorious Superhero

And there was her cue. She took the stand, clearing her throat before she spoke in a voice which was audible enough without sounding oppressive.

"I am Cencoris Charlotte Al'lende of the Imperial Legion. I hope that we can receive the council's full cooperation in these troubles times."
it was necessary for their mutual survival after all.

"The military presence currently housed within the city are as follows."

"The West Wardens at six thousand strong, adequately armed and experienced from previous service."
they would serve as a the main body of the army that would stand in the city's defense when the culling stroke came. "The militia which if mobilized in its entirety will count for close to ten thousand, though they are ill equipped for combat and have limited training - the most rudimentary for a majority of them."

"According to the findings I received we also have within the city, though they are not all accounted for, are twenty-five thousand crossbows and other information suggests there may be five thousand more."
the half-elf motioned towards the staff that would be distributing copies of the documents she'd obtained and the numbers that were detailing how she came to these approximations.

"Evidence and eye witness reports from all over the empire during the Xet's previous siege suggest that engaging Xet in melee combat is tantamount to suicide to all but the most experienced soldiers." at least they were in a walled city, that would serve as a force multiplier in the times to come. "Thus the training of both militia and the West Wardens is now primarily being designed to take advantage of the abundance of crossbows within the city... a legacy of the late governor. A concern I would like to put forward here is a request for ammunition. Supplying such a large number of crossbows and training the men to use them will require an excess of ammunition and it will not come cheap. How many bolts each man is to be supplied with is something I hope the council comes into mutual agreement with."

"On the recommendation of the tacticians of the West Wardens a project to create a first line of defense in the form of a trench spanning the entire western half of the city is underway. It encompasses the districts of the city outside the wall and we are considering rigging it to flood with sea water in the likely event that the Xet break through this first line of defense and we are forced to abandon it."

"And those are my greatest concerns so far."
she paused slightly, looking around her for signs of dissent. "There are others but I feel these should be addressed and discussed before moving into minor issues... does anyone have issues of their own to raise however? I would not discount the opinion and thoughts of the council if they feel that there are equally important issues that must be addressed."
Old May 19, 2013, 06:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Mythic

Alexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious Superhero

Ring Advise and consent.

Sapientia nodded in thanks to the briefing given by Cencoris The Lady Al'lende. Relatively junior, she was, but she had proven to be quite competent. Keeping his own counsel, he saw that an aide was writing down what was said.

Crossbows were not as effective as ballistas, though he knew that once upon a time, in Paxia, they had used cannons from Imperial Navy ships, borrowed from the shipyards at Solace Isle.

He spoke.

"I thank Cencoris The Lady Al'lende for her counsel. Her recommendations are noted. I deem it important that an effort be made for every citizen to be able to learn how to defend themselves, but military defense is but one aspect we must examine." Sapientia paused.

"Arium is the front line of this impending attack. We will have need to feed our people, and prepare in the event we must transport our citizens to safer havens. We are well aware of the existing troubles we have with the refugees from Lauryl and Arakmat, which must serve as an object lesson to all of us." He gazed at each person seated around the table.

"What say you, members of this Council?"

"So few have ever accepted the leadership of this land, and survived it." ~ Governor Elanara Al'lende

Old May 27, 2013, 04:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Legend

Lightem heard both Captain and Governor. Their concerns about the future of the city of Nexus and the province itself were... Disturbing. At least there are a considerable number of men ready to defend the city. Crossbows, a long ranged weapon, it was a good idea. Don't allow them reach the walls of Nexus and hold the defense. Makes sense. And then the trenches matter. Charlotte wanted to provoke a flood in the trench, in order to make a moat? Hmm...

Lightem heard then the governor talking, and he was... thinking. After hearing him, Lightem began to talk. - "I agree with His Imperial Excellency. Our first priority is keep the citizens in a safe place. Now I think about that, maybe the best thing to do is move all the ones who are not available to fight to another place. To east." - He did a pause.

"I think we can't forget about the rest of the city. In my perspective, the Xet are a very intelligent race. They could expect us to wait for them in the western side of the city, and begin their attack in the opposite side. Men in the walls of the city, also with bows and crossbows." - Another pause, another thought.

"In Nexus, there are around 500 mages. As all we know, mages are rare people. And Nexus is maybe the city with more mages. I was thinking, in Captain Charlotte's strategy. We can use Elementalists to support the men in the trenches, throwing Fire Balls, playing with the wing, and maybe the salvation of our men, create earth spikes in the moment of leaving the trenches. If the Xet try to pass through the trenches, they will have a bad brightening."
- He was serious, with a serious look in his eyes. Now, the thread where the Xet. And all the help they could get was welcome.

"This is my concerns and advices. Sorcerers can also threw Force Bolts and provide defense to our men. Thaumaturges can provide defense as well, and heal our injured man, and druids can heal too. And of course, Mystics can hide themselves and caught our target with its guard down."
- Lightem waited for a reply of another Representative, or maybe Charlotte or Alexis.

oocCatalyst, please don't forget about Aelwynd teach in the Rainbow Towers
Old June 11, 2013, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Former Staff

OOC: Dreadfully sorry, I somehow got unsubscribed from this thread.

A man stood from the assembled representatives, a certain Marik Heston of the Salesmen guild.

"Your imperial excellency, members of the house, it seems to me that we are speculating on the plans of the Xet with little information. Might I suggest we commission a spy to visit the lands of the Xet and bring us back intelligence? I know that the wall of fog lies in the way, but perhaps one of the mages can fly over the top of it or some such thing. Plans are always easier if one knows what they are planning for."
Old June 11, 2013, 05:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hero

Charlotte did not make a comment on Lightem's suggestions because it would be out of turn, but she did believe his ideas had merit. It would be wise to make preparations for the eastern walls too.

"In a conventional war that is a sound plan my lord, however I am forced to advice against it."
Charlotte had to clear her throat at this juncture and wait for consent to say more. "It would take a master to fly far and even then he would tax himself immensely to perform such duties... furthermore I have seen how volatile against magic the fog can become. Flight is not a practical course of action as the master mage may be left defenseless while he maintains flight and... this is not information I would have shared before however because I did not think people might believe me but I have personally attempted the trip by sea, the fog breaks over water... whatever produces the fog appears to require to be entrenched in soil."

"There is also a Xet creature bigger than our largest ship guarding the waters near their territory. I shall furnish our naval forces with my report about the creature though I must admit that we do not have the naval power to contend with it in Nexus Prime..."
or anywhere else unless every port in the empire were to send their ships into the city... and even if they did come the upkeep of such a grand fleet seemed impossible. "I do not believe any conventional force can contend with it at sea. It required the power of an archmagus to match it... I could attempt to reach the same archmagus if he is willing to lend us his power in the coming fight, but I do not know his present whereabouts and it may be a hopeless search."

"There is another matter I would wish to raise to the council's attention. This concerns the dark elves of the province. According to what intelligence I've gathered we have not attempted to draw them into the bulk of our forces which will defend the province despite their being part of the province."
she clicked her finger, ordering a few assistants to bring a map of the province painted over a large cotton canvas. There were cities marked that were already committed to their cause, but there were also those that were not. "I am not a local, but I do understand that there is history between Nexus Prime and the dark elves. I am also not ignorant of the matter that the House Maeve and Aslangrad's leadership does not support them... however we need warriors for our cause and they are an untapped power we could use."

"Of course there is the possibility that this may become a political issue in the future but if we lose this fight against the Xet we will not have a future. We may be killed, or the people of this land driven out... we've many refugees, too many, if we lose Arium too the empire will no longer be able to support an even larger population of refugees. I have seen the Xet fight both at sea and at the capital of the empire. Their strength cannot be measured by the reckoning of men. A single Xet soldier can slaughter hundreds of armed men in minutes, if they raise a single army we must bring more than one army unto the field." surely their desire for self-preservation was more important than politics, she understood the gravity of what she was suggesting herself, but she would be fighting the Xet and more swords at her side then meant more to her than observing neutrality in politics. "Aslangrad is presently suffering a plague, they will not be able to marshal the same military force in the province's defense... in the event they cannot I am hoping we can secure another army to further bolster our ranks."

"The other reason I am for all intents and purposes suggesting we obtain the assistance of a dark elf army is for the same reasons they are doubted. Many here cannot trust them, if that is the case, if we survive a siege but our armies are diminished - nay broken - in the aftermath, we will not be able to mount any defense against any fresh army that may attempt to take advantage of the opportunity to sack or claim the city. No matter who's army it is, no matter their race or creed. It is why I would have every city in Arium - even those of the dark elves - contribute to the war-front as practicable."

"If this suggestion is accepted by my superiors and the council both I will personally attempt to secure their support to the best of my abilities."
then again even if Alexis told her to do exactly that she didn't have the right to refuse. "Whoever their present authority is." though she actually had a fair idea of who she would have to consult.

Last edited by Charlotte Al'lende; June 11, 2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old June 18, 2013, 10:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Legend

Lightem thought in the words of Marik and reflected while the Captain Charlotte talked. He listened her, and when she ender her speech, Lightem would talk. She knew what she was doing, indeed. Maybe they could meet each other better in the end of the Council. But now was time to work.

"I don't think sending a mage to the Xet Lands is a good idea. Let's understand why by parts...

First of all, we don't know how to cross the fog...

Second, we don't know what is inside the fog...

Third, a mage would not know where he should go to enter in the enemy's land.

Fourth, again, we don't know what exist in the Xet's land...

We could use a mage to reach the place, indeed. But that will cost us a powerful mage. A single mage don't have a chance against a deadly fog and an army of Xets... Even if he would be able to teleport, like sorcerers do, the mage would not know where he should stop, because that information is unknown to all of us. It would be suicide. Sending mages to that place is out of the equation, at least under my wing.

Magic is not the answer for all our problems, and all of us must accept that, including the Church of Aslan.

Using mages in combat against the Xet can be very helpful, of course, but we need to hit them with indirected magic. Also, providing amulets and necklaces and even weapons with imbuements and enchantments could be a good idea too."
- Lightem did a pause, he wanted to touch in another matter, a serious matter.

"And this lead my speech to another matter. We have 6 Spheres of Arcana. Elementalism, Druidism, Sorcery, Thaumaturgy, Mysticism and... Necromancy. As all of us know, Necromancy is the forbidden Sphere.

But, my question is... Necromancy is
forbidden because can kill? Because is bounded to the Plane of Death? Well, to be honest, I am not a Necromancer, and I can kill with my spheres..." - a small pause.

"We are in war against the Xet. We don't know how to kill them. We need ALL the help we could get. I am saying that, as we like or not, the Necromancers can help us against the Xet.

Just think with me. We hunt Necromancers. People became Necromancers in secret. We don't know how many Necromancers we have between us. We don't know if you are talking with a Necromancer. If a Necromancer is present in this room. Why? Because they are
forbidden. They hide themselves from the world. They could use their sphere to spread chaos and death, but they are... Unobtrusive. We are racists against them, we are the ones who stalking them and kill them without thinking in their motives." - Another pause, and Lightem's voice become calm.

"I remember when I wanted to learn magic and my village banned me because of that. When I returned with the knowledge, my village was killed by a dragon. I am not defending Necromancers. I am defending Mages rights. I am not trying to legalize Necromancers either. We are in war, and we MUST fight with all the help we can get. Just tell me this, Council: What will we do when, in the middle of the battle, we saw a necromantic spell being released?

So, my suggestion is: The Necromancers who wanted to fight with us must present themselves to a Representative, like myself, leave their data and information we should know. After the war, they should be notified to be bind. So they have two options: Or be bind or keep running. I think they do not deserve death if they fight with us, and not against us. I suggest to think about this, and maybe we can use a few hundred more men in the war."

Lightem sit on his chair again, ending his speech. He was anxious to hear the answer of the Governor and the Council.
Old August 26, 2013, 05:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Mythic

Sapientia listened to all this in silence. The Al'lende was certainly proving to be astute as her forebearers. The Provincial Army was contemplated under the Articles of Imperium. Perhaps he ought to strengthen the existing institution.

"I find it hard to believe a Necromancer would willingly surrender," Alexis said, with a cough, "...and would likewise willingly be bound."

"Master Massani," Sapientia said, with a direct gaze, "...might you educate us on your Illuminated Savants?" It was a genuine question, as the tone indicated.

"What is it that you do? Who leads you?"

Sapientia then looked around the table.

"In the recent attacks, does anyone recall how we managed to subdue the ones that arrived?"

Old August 26, 2013, 09:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Legend

Lightem agreed with the Governor.

"Unfortunately, I'm afraid that is true. However, if they will not fight with us, will they fight with the Xet? And, if they accept fight with us, what will we do? Hunt them? While we are at war?"

Lightem listened the next question. A smart question, from Alexis.

"My role here is simple: Protect the ones like me, the mages. Once I entered in Aslangrad, in the Kremlin with no fear, to rescue one of mines. In the Kremlin, I was not afraid to say I was a mage. However... I saw how they handle the mages issues. They hunt us, they kill us, they "purify" us. No, I don't agree with that.

I am a Vagaran. I was exiled from my tribe because of my will for knowledge. Here I am now. With knowledge, a good job, and a war in hands. Your Excellency, I shall help this Guild protecting the mages that are hunted by others, and spread our word as well. Who lead us? Ourselves. Each mage has a different view of the world. Of life. Personally, I don't have nothing against Necromancers. They can try to kill me. A Mystic can try to kill me. A druid, a sorcerer. My goal here is simple. Lead us to the victory.

Currently, I am traveling in order to find others like me, who can guide our mages in the war. Currently, I found two Adept sorcerers, one Adept Elementalist, one Adept thaumaturgist. I thought in tactics of war, using the mages. In Nexus Prime, we are 600 mages. If I can bring others from the outside... That's what I will do. Not only I, but the Guild itself. One of my plans is expand us to Prime. But everything with the right time.

In resume, I search for others, I give them protection, I lead them to the war if necessary."

Lightem finished his speech, answering the question of the Governor of Arium... Now he waited to hear the other's replies...