Go Back   Aelyria > Community > News

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old May 19, 2016, 12:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rattttt

Nimh has disabled reputation

As for the second half: I can see bones being fine; I'll give you a cookie if you can successfully inscribe a rune on a strand of hair; corpses...eh...I'd be okay with people trying to discover the results of that IC.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2016, 01:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Hero

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Porta Vadei is a glorious SuperheroPorta Vadei is a glorious SuperheroPorta Vadei is a glorious SuperheroPorta Vadei is a glorious SuperheroPorta Vadei is a glorious SuperheroPorta Vadei is a glorious Superhero

Duly noted!

A broader question about different magics and their categories -- the ikos writeup says it is a material and spectral magic, but in the Magic Primer, ikos is a spellcraft and spectral magic, not material. Is that a typo in the writeup?

And in a similar vein, does the fact ikos draws power from "otherworldly places or beings" as a spectral magic mean ikonomancers can interact with other planes in some sense? That could open a lot of interesting avenues for RP!
Porta Vadei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2016, 01:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Vermilion Skies

Jacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious Superhero

That would be a typo, yes.

Explicit other planes is more of an Astral thing. Spectral is dealing with an invisible world of spirits and memories that's always around us, which is where "otherworldly" could be used as the descriptor. =)
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2016, 01:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
Hero

Porta Vadei is a glorious SuperheroPorta Vadei is a glorious SuperheroPorta Vadei is a glorious SuperheroPorta Vadei is a glorious SuperheroPorta Vadei is a glorious SuperheroPorta Vadei is a glorious Superhero

Ah okay, that makes sense! And so ikonomancy has a similar flavor to the other spectral magics -- Necro, Mysticism and Adjuration...

Are ikonomancers also treated similarly to these types of mages, who've been outlawed/carry a stigma in some respects? Or not so much?
Old May 19, 2016, 01:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rattttt

I imagine anyone wandering around with runes tattoo'd on their body gets looked at funny.

They're not 'mainstream' sort of things and have always been viewed as a bit odd...so I would say most would hold that opinion.
Old May 19, 2016, 01:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
Vermilion Skies

Jacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious Superhero

I don't think Ikos as an art has been prevalent enough in the Empire for the mage community to have really formed an opinion on it. It's an esoteric enough practice that you don't see the "problem" of folks spontaneously unbinding to it like you would with the less approved arcane arts or even Spellbreaking.

Aelyria's magical community is very arcana-centric, partly by their own design and partly because of the circumstances of the Empire in the greater scheme of how things are in Telath & Aerysia. Now with Aelyria getting actual exposure to the wider world, where other arts like Ikos and Spellbreaking have traditions and deep investments in research, this has an opportunity to shift a bit as we bump into some more of those kinds of folks.
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2016, 08:14 PM   #22 (permalink)
Hero

Okay cool! And I have a broader questions about runes being used in magic in general.

So mages of different spheres and magics sometimes use runes in their own routines, whether it's arcana users making amplification circles, spellcasters harvesting essences into seeds, etc. But these runes serve a specific purpose for the mage's process, and they're unique for each PC -- they're personal and they serve as a mechanism, from what I've gathered.

Runes have also been seen on living beings like monsters, on buildings, on tools/weapons, etc, and they've had effects that seem to work differently than the types of temporary runes an ikonomancer uses. They're permanent, some of them are pretty ancient, and they have effects that seem unrelated to the characteristic-altering effects of ikos.

Meanwhile, an ikonomancer's entire schtick is runes, so runes are actually used for their effect, not just mechanism. So with that in mind:
  • Are ikos runes different from all those other runes existing around mages and items and monsters? Or are they the same?
  • Would an ikonomancer feasibly use 2 different kinds of runes -- for mechanism vs. for effect?
  • Would an ikonomancer see and interact with the ancient runes on monsters and buildings in a different way than others would? For example, if a group of adventurers walks up to a cave with runes written all over the outside that create a "keep out" kind of spell, would the ikonomancer who's undergone conscription and actually specializes in runes interact with them differently or see something differently than the other adventurers would?
Hopefully that makes sense, but let me know if it doesn't. :P

Last edited by Porta Vadei; May 19, 2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old May 19, 2016, 09:07 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rattttt

This is where you're going to start getting me to tell you to "go play and find out" versus providing an answer in great detail for every single question.
Old May 19, 2016, 09:09 PM   #24 (permalink)
Hero

Haha, okie dokie!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: