Old May 31, 2014, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Vermilion Skies

Jacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious Superhero

Arrow Rules Refresh: Skill Changes

Serale!

In preparation for Aelyria's 25th Anniversary Edition changes, we are going to begin implementing some system changes that will ease the active community towards the final systems we will be using in the future. This announcement is a beginning to this transition, and you will see more like it in the coming weeks and months as we prepare to bring you revamped systems and new tools to assist in your role-playing adventures.

The two changes to the Skills Primer (and related rulesets) are as follows:
  • Starting Packages are now expanded to allow your starting Level 1 skill to be in the Magic category. To a new player, this means any single immediately accessible skill is available to be chosen as their starting skill.
  • Level-up threads for Levels 1 and 2 are no longer required. If you have the requisite experience, you may in fact claim the appropriate level in that skill.
These changes are designed to ease the experience of starting a new character, both for entirely new players as well as experienced players starting fresh characters. They begin our transition to a Skills System that, by design, will ultimately leverage ingenuity and new forum technology to create an experience that removes bookkeeping burdens and gives you more time to write for your characters rather than tripping over technicalities.

Frequently Asked Questions

If I auto-level up a mage's Arcana, what about Impartation of new spells?
Figure it out in a way that makes sense for your character to have learned the new spells. We're not particularly picky. An evil wizard casting a spell instead Imparted his spellbook to you. You just woke up and knew the spells. You read it in a book somewhere. Whatever works.

What you're saying about the upcoming changes is mighty fancy-sounding, but what are some specifics?
Check my blog momentarily, there's a sneak peek I'm writing up for it right after I hit Submit here.

Can I re-jig my Starting Package to match this?
Sure, if you've made less than 10 in-character posts with the character you're welcome to do so.

I hate you, you're ruining my childhood.
I know. We have to think of the next generation, though.

This news posting will remain open for your commentary and questions.

Changes are effective... right now.

Last edited by Jacob; May 31, 2014 at 02:16 PM.
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2014, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Vermilion Skies

Jacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious Superhero

That blog post I mentioned is here. Comment on what I say there in there, if you would, while we keep the comments about this here.
Old June 1, 2014, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Demon of Heaven

Charybdis has disabled reputation

As a note: any moderator can stamp threads for experience, including roaming moderators, for locales without an assigned Game Master. Please reach out to the moderating staff first for experience approval, not the Help Desk.

Thank you!
Old June 2, 2014, 10:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Adventurer

Zoraria is a benevolent Adventurer
Just to clarify for myself, if you have 0 xp in something and want to get level one you would need to do a thread (adventure FTW) in which you learn the information (off screen) but have to use it enough to gain 2xp then you would get level one?
Old June 3, 2014, 02:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Vermilion Skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoraria View Post
Just to clarify for myself, if you have 0 xp in something and want to get level one you would need to do a thread (adventure FTW) in which you learn the information (off screen) but have to use it enough to gain 2xp then you would get level one?
Right.

OR if a moderator awards you "Generic" Experience (which is in their ability to do), you can allocate it towards the skill and "learn" offscreen that way without dealing with chicken-egg conundrums about training up a skill to level 1, if that bugs you.
Old June 3, 2014, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Adventurer

Zoraria is a benevolent Adventurer
Thanks for confirming this for me Jacob!
Old June 5, 2014, 05:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Notable

Wealth Tier: Steel
Blacken is a malevolent Minion
So... If I have a character that is still basic level, and has not trained yet, can he still acquire the new skills without having to train?
Blacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2014, 05:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Famous

Silvia D'Olive is an upstanding Citizen

if you have less than 10 posts, for what I understood.

Quote:
Can I re-jig my Starting Package to match this?
Sure, if you've made less than 10 in-character posts with the character you're welcome to do so.
Old June 5, 2014, 08:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Notable

Wealth Tier: Steel
Blacken is a malevolent Minion
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Oh, well. Nevermind.
Blacken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anniversary, rules, skills

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: