Go Back   Aelyria > Community > News

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old April 1, 2011, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rattttt

Nimh has disabled reputation

Aelyrian Chronicle, April Edition

April 2011, 4th Edition
By now some of you have probably heard that I'm leaving the game. It's been a really fun ride these last few months (okay…how long has it been? a little more than a year and a half? scratch few months!), but as many of you also know, life has really been hard a little hard on me lately and I've just been incredibly slow getting to anything site related. It's taking it's toll on me--I'm tired, I'm worn out. I need a break. A nice long break.

I hope you all have enjoyed this newsletter. I wouldn't say that it's the last one that will ever be produced, but that's not really up to me any more--someone else will be taking the helm from here on out. Who? No idea! As for the Worldforge, I've constructed a really stellar team who is happy to keep on top of articles and rip everything you jot down to shreds. I'm sure you won't have any trouble, but I like to think that you guys need me…so let's pretend that it'll gather dust and mold after I leave.

And I'm really losing steam on this joke here. Geez, happy April Fool's day, guys. Like any of you actually believed that, right? Right.

Anyway--happy newsletter day! As a general announcement, the newsletter may undergo a little bit of an evolution next month, particularly in the limping along Worldforge section. Expect to see something a little different there! As for the rest of the site, there's been a real bump in activity lately. It's been really great getting to know some of the newer people to the site. You always bring in an interesting and fresh perception of the site that is wonderful to see. I can't wait to see what you bring to the table.

Happy reading!
Nimh
Community Announcements
Aslangrad Unveiled As a Playable City: The ancient city of Aslangrad has quite suddenly reappeared in present-brightening Arium!

Fintagel Reveals Itself to Aelyria: A small fae village in the kingdom of Fae'rel has made itself accessible to the people of Aelyria!

Seasonal Experience Discontinued: Seasonal experience will no longer be an option for players, effective for the next chronosynch (summer). The Skills Primer has been updated accordingly.

Pretend Its Like Chat: Chat was reopened to the masses.
Server: irc.muforge.com (or irc.aelyria.com)
Port: 6667
Chat Room: #aelyria

If you find that chat is blocked at your university or office, using mibbit.com can usually circumvent that.
Be a Mod: Forums recruiting staff members
Be a GM: Interested in becoming a Game Master? Browse this list of cities for an available opening.
Creative Producers: One or two positions are available on the Creative Team
AGM for Arconis: AGM for the awesome that is Amalthea
AGM for Demios: AGM in strange climates with Bahamut!
AGM for Imperia: AGM wickedness with Rhyax
Matchmaker: Characters and moderators have advertised specific (or not-so-specific) wants and needs throughout the game. Are you a match?
Looking for Novice Healing Mod - Ellie needs a peer-mod (or just a mod)!
Looking for Trouble / Traveling Companion - New player Patali is looking for some fun!
In Search of a Past: Kailin is looking to build up her past
Magic, Friends & a Life: Koda Octav wants it all!
Tribal Barbarian Vagaran Friends & Family: Alden is looking to go a little tribal with some folks.
Husband Hunting: Mixie would like a man to torment
Husband Seeking: Breeze needs a man
Where Do I Start?: New player Basta is looking to hang with some fellow Air'riela
Gargoyle of Questionable Heritage: Beja's looking for some action
Shieldmaiden Looking for Scimitar Training: New player Cali could use some moderation!
The Game

Image by Vaurien

Real Emotion
A great cyclone on Demios

Tea with the Duchess
A fantastical afternoon

Trying to Make Amends
Can fences be mended?

In Your Choice Doth
Lie Your Talent

A little friendly sparring

Inaugural Meeting of the
New City Council

The state of Paxian politics

The Face of Winter
Two reunited lovers in necromantic
ruins

Pretty Lights
An elf wielding thaumaturgic light

Mothers Hide Your
Children

Xet, cabbits and a sprinkling of
characters

Dirge of Cerberus
Who will die? The monster or the
PCs? Stay tuned!

Three down..only Jorel
knows how many more

A giant and a Kemite

Chaos in the Heart
Honor on the Mind

Jorel's servant is given a task
Featured City
Natura, Centripax
Moderated by GM Striker
"I've only been back in Natura since the beginning of the year, (after being away from Aelyria for several years) so I'm not familiar with recent history and developments, but it is the perfect place for my PC. There are opportunities for whatever musical adventures I might want to try, and with Druids and Rangers and Monks and Esmé Xind'ell and her relatives moving in, anyway, there's lots of other groups to give the place a lot of variety for learning, adventuring, character development and interacting. Striker has been encouraging and supportive, and his imaginative and descriptive posts inspire me to consider different avenues of development for my PC. " -- Honets

Honets also submitted a poem/song that his character would have written, if asked the question, and it made me smile - I couldn't pass up the opportunity to post it. So here it is!
In Natura, where Striker reigns, the PCs love to play.
There's Monks and Druids, Rangers, too, and Elves and Dwarves and Fae.
A mix of quirky NPCs with epic histories
A growing clan of Xindell elves, a plague of pregnancies!
What better place to grow and learn, to visit or to stay?
Let Striker's posts inspire your own. He's good, I have to say!
-- Honets
The homelands of Druids, Rangers and Healers, a town of Elf-Kin, worshippers of Carmelya and place of pure, blessed lands and whispering, enchanted forests where the sentient trees are rumoured to take a walk in the evenings…

A brief Q&A with resident GM Striker:
How would you describe your city?
Natura is a small city nestled within the magical forests of Centripax and is a home to elves, dwarves, halflings, humans, and fae-folk. Its humble population fosters a tight-knit community in which day-to-day interactions with neighbors, acquaintances, and friends alike are common occurrences. A magical spring known as the Tears of Carmelya encloses the borderless, forest-city in protective magic and wards the realm from most forms of evil. Because of the longstanding effects of the ancient spring, Naturans tend to be carefree and more concerned about merrymaking and living life to the fullest rather than worrying about guarding their possessions or locking their doors at night.
What do you think makes your city so successful?
If truth be told, from an OOC standpoint, I believe Natura’s “success” is in large part due to the detailed notes and thorough NPC descriptions that its previous moderators left behind for people like me to expand upon. At least from my experience, such guides made it easier for me to moderate. From a gaming perspective, I think Natura has become “successful” because it caters to a particular niche of PCs who are not interested in developing their characters through, for example, epic battles or arbitrary violence. The city is replete with music lovers, aspiring bards, and characters interested in settling in Natura on long term bases. Natura also challenges PCs to invest in intimate and meaningful relationships with the people in the city and to become an integral part of it. Natura is not a city where PCs become mere faces in the crowd; on the contrary, it is a place where PCs have the opportunities to join the community and develop their reputations in it.
What do you find to be the most enjoyable aspect of your city?
That’s easy. Natura’s PCs. They are a wonderful group of writers who have forced me to explore areas of role-play that I’ve seldom traveled. For example, many of them are very knowledgeable about singing songs, playing instruments, and writing poetry – three subjects that I know absolutely nothing about! Their PCs’ interests in pursuing such fields of study have challenged me to broaden my horizons and research said topics in order for me to moderate them more effectively. As Honets will likely attest from my moderation of his thread, To Fetch a Stick, I still have a long way to go before I can call myself a poet.
So far, what are some of your all time favorite plots that you've moderated in your city?
To Fetch a Stick – The Master Bard, Honets Greysinger, battles against another bard in a singing contest. (Honets’ player destroyed my lack of poetry-writing talent.)
A return to roots – An old, battle-hardened soldier returns to Natura to find that the city he once called home is now plagued by demons.
The Cether and the Trelorean – In order to build a temple to honor the Planetar of Love, a widowed Quel’anthasan elf must leap several unusual hurdles, including a licentious dwarven stonemason who wants nothing more than to find his way into her bed.
Which NPC (alive or dead) have you enjoyed writing for the most? Provide links for evidence of the fun!
I have enjoyed writing the most for Ais Flourbottom, Natura’s most famous Halfling and the city’s aedile. I think he personifies what Natura is all about. He is always friendly, always helpful, and always protective of his friends. I spent a lot of time developing him mainly because I tired of the typical, nondescript aediles that resemble machines more than warm-blooded NPCs.

The Aedile’s Officer
The Cether and the Trelorean
Battle of the Bards: Music and Mayhem
Are there any hints you'd like to drop players about possible future plots?
The Silver Stars (Natura’s paladin faction), the Silver Wolves (Natura’s ranger faction), the Silver Benedictine (Natura’s monk faction), and the Silver Treble (Natura’s bard faction) will be taking more active roles within the coming months. I plan on revamping the aforementioned factions and integrating them more into the city’s major plotlines. More specifically, I intend on making the perks of the factions contingent upon long-term commitment to the factions themselves. For instance, the Paladins of Natura will have soon have the benefit of forging magical armor in addition to their Soulfire swords, the handsome reward for what will soon become a rigorous process of gaining admission into the Order.
What locations do you think best personify your city?
Temple of the Blessed Hands
The Pickled Porcupine Inn and Tavern
Featured Character
Rafael LeBeau
Wandering Play Boy

"Rafael, to sum it all up, is Aelyria's favorite spoiled drunk. From his sarcastic and slightly masochistic inner dialogue to the pseudo-charming facade he manages to maintain when he tries, Rafael is a fascinating character to read not because of what he has accomplished or skills he has mastered but because of the depth of his character. Good and bad aside, Rafael is the melancholic of semi-nobles and a grabbing read because of it." -- Magnolia di Ambra
What was the original concept for your character?
When I started Rafael I wanted three basic things: a self-propelling motivation that would always keep him moving but not too focused, to allow room for him to grow and change as a character, and for him to be just absolutely needlessly defiant and self-concerned. The fear of dullness and boredom kept him searching for anything and lets him do random stuff with no real reason, starting him at the dawn of his adulthood and during a troubled-period in his life (read: drowning him in alcohol) forced evolution, and filling his mouth with a few silver spoons while setting that mouth on a rather attractive face gave him reason to feel he could defy and judge anything.

Literally everything else about Rafa has grown from these three roots.
How has your character changed from how you initially envisioned them?
I honestly thought he was going to turn out as more of a ‘bad good-guy’ who, after a couple hundred posts of mischief, would get a cathartic eye-opening experience and somewhat change his ways for the better; but as he grew and I eased him off the booze it just didn’t seem natural to find all these suppressed emotions hiding in his underbrain. So I did what any sensible writer would do and injected him with 30cc’s of sociopath and let him run amok.
What is your character's biggest motivating factor and why?
As I said the fear of monotony is his one constant motivator. It’s why he antagonizes, womanizes, fraternizes and tantalizes. It also makes it extremely easy to just throw him into any thread without having to come up with a reason for being there. Where most people may have to ask ‘would my PC do this?’ I simply have to make sure Rafa would be entertained, which isn’t too challenging a task for a character with the attention-span of a child.
Do you have any major plans for your character? Or do you prefer to take things as they come?
I like to take things as they come, though I will admit I plan on delving a bit deeper into Rafael’s mental-issues. Crazy is generally just more fun, and watching him try to rationalize the crazy is even better. I’d also like to throw something completely unexpected at Rafa sometime in the kind-of-nearish future; like giving him an illegitimate daughter or killing him or something
What are your favorite threads that you've been involved in?
In no particular order the threads I have enjoyed most that don't seem too young to mention here are:
[Masque] Of Sinners and Saints, Cats and Mice [Rafael]
The Calf vs. The Swine [Crimson or his henchmen]
The Show Must Go On! [Open Adventure]
What NPC have you had the most fun interacting with? Why?
Mistress Tanpori, a she-pirate dominatrix who showed her love through force and theats. She was Ragman’s brainchild (big surprise) and she helped guide Rafael through the black markets of Neos Megalis. I’m not sure, but I think it was writing ‘scared of but attracted to’ that made the entire situation so enjoyable.

Generally any ‘help,’ like a noble family’s staff or his driver, all tend to lead to amusing interactions as Rafa's just a complete jerkshoppe unless they're attractive females. I’m still waiting for some butler to snap and try to kill him, but alas our NPC’s have gone soft.
What moderators or PCs do you think have had the biggest impact on your character's growth? Why?
Ragman helped me start and refine Rafa, and he telling me that he was a ‘fan-boy’ helped me get over the disdain I have for my own writing during the shaky start of my return to Aelyria. He’s also very understanding when it comes to long unexpected absences, and he gave Rafa a cousin. Hi Ellai!

Riconus, though he’s never had a complete thread with Rafa, gave the little devil a family, a fortune and a Palace. If it weren’t for his ties to the Xind’ells I doubt I could be so frivolous with Rafael, so for getting me involved in the first place Ric gets a commemorative plate.
What keeps your interest going in your character?
You guys! Rafa’s fun and sometimes interesting and all, but the possibilities for threads with some of the amazing PC’s out there and at the very least knowing I can read some amazing stories is what has drawn me back to Aelyria on numerous occasions since 2003. I really wish I had more time to chat with the community as I don’t really know most of you, but just know that you’re all pretty awesome.
If you would like to suggest an individual for "Featured Character" or threads for "Featured Threads", please Private Message Nimh or post your suggestion in the Help Desk.
The Worldforge

Golem-Crafting
An ancient craft

Geomancy
A mysterious and magical craft

Ke'trala
Ancestors of the elves

Blood Shamanism
A tribal craft

Realmcrafting

Hon'elegg
Development of a Vysstichi city

Little Medonia
Discussion on an Arconis district
Approved Articles
The following articles have been approved by the Creative Team to be placed in the Lore and/or Wiki sections of our site. Past approvals may be located in previous editions of the Worldforge Newsletter.

Feral Shamanism (Rewrite)
One with the animals, both alive and dead
By S'Lon, credit to Gossamer
Section: Trades

Wigmaking
Hats of Hair
By Beja Wudh
Section: Trades
Featured Write-Ups
These articles were chosen for one or more reasons, ranging from the interest garnered by the community as a whole to the flavor that the article may bring to the game world. Whatever the reason, they are highly recommended articles for your reading (and commenting) pleasure.

Maj, Arch Archon
Keeper of the Exercitum
By Tonguez

Spirits
Non-living entities that occur naturally
By Vanderlou
If you would like to suggest Worldforge articles (threads located either in the main Worldforge, Guides or Realmcrafting), please Private Message Nimh or post your suggestion in the Help Desk.
Past Issues
Here are links to all back issues of the Worldforge Newsletter and the current Aelyrian Chronicle community newsletter.

Aelyrian Chronicle: March 2011, 3rd Edition
Aelyrian Chronicle: February 2011, 2nd Edition
Aelyrian Chronicle: January 2011, 1st Edition
Worldforge Newsletters: The last WF newsletter issue August - November 2010, with a list of past approvals dating from August 2009 to April 2010.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2011, 12:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Veleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious Superhero

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain....

SoF

RL Update (November 15th, 2018) - On an indefinite hiatus, as 10 month old kid/working full time is taking up all free time.

Last edited by Veleraen; April 1, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
Veleraen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2011, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rattttt

Happy April Fool's? (read closer, dude)

But I appreciate your comment
Old April 1, 2011, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ever Innocent!

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Embel Almstad is a benevolent Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veleraen View Post
I had no idea you were leaving Lauren I will miss you terribly!

I hope that life gives you a reprieve sometime in the future and lets you come back to us. The site will miss you!

-Tyler
You just got hoot hoowned!

SoF
Posting Status: Full speed ahead!

The child wielded her stick much like she believed a swordsman would have. Slowly creeping from her was the battered serpentine body of a green snake. Suddenly the girl remembered something her mother had told her, 'They're just as scared of you, as you are of them.' She never wished she could take back something so much in her life.
Embel Almstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2011, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mythic

Veleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious Superhero

Wow I totally feel like a dumbass...I totally read the top part and not all the way down LOL

*sigh*

Well....time to edit....

>..>

SoF

RL Update (November 15th, 2018) - On an indefinite hiatus, as 10 month old kid/working full time is taking up all free time.

Old April 1, 2011, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mythic

Malkaer Andares is a glorious SuperheroMalkaer Andares is a glorious SuperheroMalkaer Andares is a glorious Superhero
LMAO!

You're evil Nimh...

Regent of Aelyria - Correspondence - CIR - SoF

“Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation.”
- H. Kissinger
Malkaer Andares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2011, 12:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rattttt

I am. I know. I didn't think I'd actually get anyone with that one, but..hey..I win!

<3 Tyler
Old April 1, 2011, 12:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mythic

I exist, solely to prove that even the impossible, is possible.

SoF

Old April 1, 2011, 01:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wow. So mod. Much nice.

Krait is a glorious SuperheroKrait is a glorious SuperheroKrait is a glorious SuperheroKrait is a glorious SuperheroKrait is a glorious SuperheroKrait is a glorious Superhero

April fool!!!!

<3 ~

(lol@Tyler )
Krait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2011, 01:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Hero

Hsin is an upstanding Citizen

Poor Tyler, he only meant well. Ah well, at least it gives us a chance to make owl puns. :3

Awesome issue as always. Thanks for putting this together Nimh!
Hsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2011, 09:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tyrant of Eternity

Kaelon is a glorious SuperheroKaelon is a glorious SuperheroKaelon is a glorious SuperheroKaelon is a glorious SuperheroKaelon is a glorious SuperheroKaelon is a glorious SuperheroKaelon is a glorious Superhero

I have to confess and admit -- out of all of the April Fools Jokes I have read, this was the only one that I fell for this year. Nicely done, Nimh. You nearly gave me a second supraventricular tachycardia!
Old April 4, 2011, 11:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Former Staff

Ragman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious Superhero

Hahahhahaha. I popped a bottle of champagne for nothing, Lauren, dammit :<

Also, congratulations to Rafael for being the featured character and Natura for being the featured City. Well deserved!

P.S. Rafa, way to suck up. Seriously.
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2011, 07:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Adventurer

Nessime Silversong is a famous HeroNessime Silversong is a famous Hero
Nice job Nimh! Also yay for Striker and Rafa, very well deserved recognition there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: