Go Back   Aelyria > Community > News

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old January 1, 2011, 11:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rattttt

Nimh has disabled reputation

Aelyrian Chronicle Newsletter, January Edition

January 2011, 1st Edition
Serale, Aelyrians, and welcome to the very first Aelyrian Chronicle newsletter (name subject to change)! This newsletter started out as a strictly Worldforge-focused publication, sent out only to Game Masters to let them know what articles have been published recently so that they might better augment their own cities, if the material was relevant. A couple of months ago I started to wonder why I wasn't showing this to the whole community, especially since so many of you self or peer-moderate--you're as fully immersed in the game as any staff members and deserve to be kept as up-to-date as the staff.

With that in mind, I started thinking, with all these changes that have been flying about recently (and there have been quite a number of them), that maybe we need something more than just a Worldforge Newsletter to keep folks up-to-date on the happenings of the community. This publication goes well beyond the Worldforge and explores site-wide announcements, while featuring favorite cities, threads and even characters of our players and staff members.

As I was putting the newsletter together, I developed a theme: community participation and interaction. I am desperately hoping that all of you will get involved with the monthly creation of this publication, throwing ideas at it for Featured Character, Threads and Worldforge Reads as the months go by. I've spent the last couple of weeks pestering people for quick quotes, favorite threads and Worldforge articles and getting our featured sections to send me over some Q&A's that may see some evolution as time goes on.

Who knows what more will be added to the newsletter as it continues to be published (as I intend this to continue in the same vein as the WF newsletter), but I do hope that any content suggestions, ideas and thoughts for what you would like to see in the newsletter will be shared with me as they come to you.

[top]Community Announcements

Newsletter Contest - Win a Companionship: The new newsletter is looking for artwork and a name! Those whose artwork or name is selected will win a 3-month companionship, courtesy of Nimh. Please see the announcement for details!

Ancient Aelyrians Now Available For Play: One of the oldest races in the game and previously unavailable to most players, Ancient Aelyrians have opened up to be played by Companions.

The Plane of Imagination: A new forum was created for Aelyrians to write out alternative stories for the land of Aelyria. With no connection to the stories told in the game itself, this forum allows for absolute freeform in detailing out stories within the Aelyrian background.

Skills and Trades Primer Updates: The Skills and Trades Primers were recently updated to reflect on-going policy as well as changes to the system. The Skills Primer was again updated later that week to reflect that counting posts is no longer required to obtain new levels and experience points.

Championship Guide Revamped: The release of the Championship and Deity-Granted Abilities Guide revealed a new system for tracking gods-favored (or unfavored!) characters through the use of Brands.

Guide to Business Introduced: Business plans were eliminated with the release of the new Business Guide.

Worldforge Forums Condensed: The four forums that we were previously using (Skills, Florafauna, People & Knowledge) for world development have been condensed down into one forum simply titled 'Worldforge'.

Be a Mod: Forums recruiting staff members
Be a GM: Interested in becoming a Game Master? Browse this list of cities for an available opening.
Creative Producers: One or two positions are available on the Creative Team
AGM in Arconis: Help GM Amalthea out in the recovering, formerly artsy town of Arconis
AGM in New Coldmoon/Chelseanna: Help GD Maddyn out in either of these two cities
Matchmaker: Characters and moderators have advertised specific (or not-so-specific) wants and needs throughout the game. Are you a match?
Fighting, Wine and Gambling: Attend a gladiatorial event in Vortex!
GM Looking for Freelance Work: GM Aglet of Frigid River is looking for work!
Maid of Misrule Seeks Miscreants: Quenthal is looking for fun in the city of Vortex
Clan Oni Looking for Scum and Villainy: Hannya is looking for deviants to join Clan Oni in Zinn'Sunn
New Player in Old Prime, Looking for Work: A character looking to make some money to get on his feet

[top]The Game

Heart of the World
A companions adventure

Something Must Be
Done

Nimavel faces off with Imperia's
kingpin

Trouble at the Docks
Dante's warehouse is broken
into - justice is sought

Something Wicked This
Way Comes

A strange adventure in Jaedaxia
involving Archduke Tristan
marrying...a fish?

Come One, Come All!
A gladiatorial event hosted by
Ceva Nil'riia in Har'oloth

Footprints in the Sand
Iseult's quest for new glassware
takes some strange turns

Miniature Disasters &
Minor Catastrophes

Aydyn's Druidism lessons with
the strangest...people

We're Off to See the
Zombies

A slew of adventurers set off
to do battle against Archadoon's
undead
Featured City
Vortex
Moderated by GD Kalinda and GM Wraith
"Vortex is a melting pot of unique personalities and diverse quests. The players who have been around a while are always happy to meet new pcs." -- Ceva Nil'riia
Necromantic dark city mired in controversy (recent controversy in the Herald: Creed Nardaquilli's On the state of the city of Vortex and Thane Amber Brightwing's response, Vortex Refutes All Accusations). The Vysstichi elf city of Har'oloth lurks beneath the city's surface, a dark and dangerous place for those unprepared to deal with its cruelty.

A brief Q&A with resident GD Kalinda:
Why do you think Vortex is so successful?
Vortex is the only city in Aelyria where training in necromancy is easily available and one of the few that cater to evil PCs. There’s Herozzal, but Herozzal is a traditional vysstichi city and thus naturally limited to a select few players. And Malice has been dead for a while. Har’oloth, the vysstichi city under Vortex, accepts humans and Esh’lahier as well due to its unique history – it was founded by both Vysstichi and Esh‘lahier. Even though Vortex is a dark city, it is not so dangerous that good PCs can’t survive. As long as you stay on the surface and don’t go out after dark it’s relatively safe.
You've been in Vortex for a long while--it seems like forever--what do you enjoy most about the city?
I think Har’oloth is what interests me the most, the constant conflicts between the three noble houses.
Are there any hints you'd like to drop players about possible future plots?
Ceva is currently arranging a big arena combat. There’s bound to be a lot of conflict with the royal government and the CoF due to Creed’s accusations, and there’s probably going to be some kind of war between the three houses of Har’oloth in the near future.
What locations do you think best personify Vortex?
The White Night’s Drink – The entrance to Vortex‘ necromancy school is hidden in this tavern.
The Temple of Jalat – Most people in Vortex worship Jalat. This is where they go to pray.
House Kitrye’veresi – House Kitrye’veresi is the most powerful noble house in Har’oloth and most likely the only vysstichi noble house in Aelyria where a man is in a position of power.
Featured Character
Alexis Sapienta
Frequents Aelyria Prime

"He's always consistent and definitely one of the best politic-type PC there is out there. The most defining quality about him, however, is his drive for continuity, and to do that, he researches heavily into formerly RP'd threads and shares them with thread participants. He's never one to not help/assist, and as a PC for Roscarnis, I can frankly tell you that he's helped on the content of my post on more than one occasion." -- Roscarnis de Lylles

Alexis Sapientia, born to a noble family in Carmelyn, is First Minister, Minister of War and concurrent Lord High Admiral, and in both ministerial capacities is a member of the Court and the Council of the Crown. Alexis started out as a Midshipman in the Imperial Navy, rising through the ranks by taking posts in such places as Jaedaxia and Port Alyxandrya before finally assuming his current roles in Aelyria Prime, accompanied by his wife Liselle Vampyler, a well-known politician in her own right. He was recently raised into the ranks of the peerage with the rank of Duke by the will of Prince-Regent Milo I. Alexis has received the Medal of Justice for his acts of goodwill on behalf of Narim and her people following its burning in XIII.
What was the original concept for your character?
Alexis came about originally as a Calvinesque fun-loving gentle soul who acts tough and capable, but in truth, hides his overpowering vulnerabilities beneath a veneer of contemptuous indifference - and fails woefully at it at times. A spoiled brat, in truth, his youthful zest for living life spontaneously and doing whatever comes to mind made writing about his brighteningly adventures a very interesting exercise.
How has your character changed from how you initially envisioned him?
Looking back, the dynamism of his personal evolution has fascinated me. He's grown, emotionally and interpersonally, and there is now a deeper gravitas to him, a certain seriousness with the way he approaches and views things. Perhaps it comes with age, as well as with his greater responsibilities, but there is a darker cynicism in play, as well as an agnosticism and fatalism - but there is still that flicker of youthful idealism present within him.
What are some of your favorite threads that you've been involved in?
Classic:
[Autumnus Fest]Disturbing the Debris (mod/open)
http://www.aelyria.com/forums/diana/...te-motito.html
{Conclavis Chanliya} The wedding of Liselle Vampyler & Alexis Sapientia
[The Sovereign's Suites] "Flight..."
What keeps your interest going in your character?
The continuing story of what remains to be told - the long and rich history of Aelyria, coupled with the eternal mystery of the future and intertwining relationships, their causes, and effects - all viewed from the life and times of Alexis Sapientia make for an interesting chronicle of our age. History is abstract when viewed from a disinterested, third-person perspective, but when seen through the eyes of one who lives through interesting times, indeed, one can see how names, places, events, and dates come remarkably alive.
If you would like to suggest an individual for "Featured Character" or threads for "Featured Threads", please Private Message Nimh or post your suggestion in the Help Desk.

[top]The Worldforge

A German Influence
in Paxia...?

Should Paxia have a German
flavor?

Jorel, God of Chaos
A profile of the dark god

Maj, Arch Archon
A profile of the Aetherial Army's
commander

Kalendryas, Planetar
of Time

Brainstorming and ideas for the
Time-Keeper

Dragons
Rewrite of a magical race

New Players Guide
A helpful write-up for getting
started
Approved Articles
The following articles have been approved by the Creative Team to be placed in the Lore and/or Wiki sections of our site. Past approvals may be located in previous editions of the Worldforge Newsletter.

Holidays
A list of holidays observed throughout Aelyria
By Adelaide Umbra, Nimh and the various contributors of Aelyria who have fleshed out local holidays
Section: Culture

Ancient Aelyrians
A winged race, old and powerful
By Kaelon
Section: Companion Races

Ancient Aelyrian Magic
Basics of Ancient Aelyrian spellcasting
By Jacob
Section: Arcana
Featured Write-Ups
These articles were chosen for one or more reasons, ranging from the interest garnered by the community as a whole to the flavor that the article may bring to the game world. Whatever the reason, they are highly recommended articles for your reading (and commenting) pleasure.

Shape-Shifting
The dracon ability to blend in with the rest of society
By Tekasek (to be picked up by Magnolia di Ambra)

The Crawler
A poisonous chameleon-esque snake that makes its home in Arium
By Creed Naraquilli

Church of Faith
A profile of one of the game's largest and most important factions
By Trinity

The Embrodicae
The Planetar of Love's handmaidens
By Esmé de l'Avarrée-Xind'ell
If you would like to suggest Worldforge articles (threads located either in the main Worldforge, Guides or Realmcrafting), please Private Message Nimh or post your suggestion in the Help Desk.

[top]Past Issues

Here are links to all back issues of the Worldforge Newsletter and the current Aelyrian Chronicle community newsletter.
Worldforge Newsletters: August - November of 2010, with a list of Worldforge approvals dating back to August 2009.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2011, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Former Staff

Sonya is an upstanding Citizen

Beautiful! Reminds me of the old newspapers we used to get in mail long ago

Just a note: the Player guide you've mentioned has a new draft so you might want to update the link to this link.
Sonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2011, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Former Staff

Oogie boogie is a famous HeroOogie boogie is a famous HeroOogie boogie is a famous Hero
Let me just say, this is awesome in so many levels! ... three, to be precise!

It is an awesome idea. Often I feel I'm never up to date with all that is happening in Aelyria (still referred to it as an Empire months after it was a Kingdom, to cite a particularly egregious example... ). Part of it is that there are many things happening at once, and staying on top of them all is close to impossible. Just keeping an eye on community announcements and the WF (particularly when it wasn't a single forum) is daunting. Keeping track of all world-changing threads is impossible, never mind all those "irrelevant" but quirky and fun to read threads. Getting something like this with condensed information about: community news, WF articles, IC news, important/fun/interesting threads, plus a city and PC profile.... WOW! Makes me feel like I can be a part or at least be informed of all that is happening in Aelyria, not just restricted to two cities in which I mod or have a PC... So, mayor thanks and praise to Nimh for this and I hope it keeps appearing month with month.

It is an awesome issue. Loved the blurb about vortex, loved the news (particularly WF unification and the end to that... *ehem* P.I.T.A. that was the post counting rule. I also noticed that epic progression went away, but then again, I don't recall anyone getting 3xp out of a thread ever...), loved the AA and gods writeups (thought I haven't really read them all, just skimmed through a few). And the rest... I haven't followed all links yet.

And finally, it is awesome that my adventure is featured! With Tristan and the fish! I remembered loving writing the post with the reveal (no, no spoilers, go read it if you have time and want a good laugh) and literally laughing with evil glee as I posted it. What can I say, I like being naughty, after all... I'm the oogieeeee bogieeeee maaan!

Also, question, is there a way of subscribing to this newsletter? (either getting each new issue as an "update to subscribed thread" or by mail?)

And also, question #2, how did you collect all this info, Nimh? Do you go around all forums reading everything that happens? or do you expect players/mod to send you info for the next editions?
Oogie boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2011, 11:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rattttt

Sonya - Once I get back to my other comp (it's, ahem, currently occupied by the Sims >.>), I'll update the link

Oogie! My ego! It swoons!

But seriously...

Subscribing:
If people are interested, I could gather together names and send out a PM to accounts with a link to the newsletter. Certainly plausible--I've been doing something of the sort with GMs with the former WF newsletter!

How did I get all the info:
I'll 'fess up: I can be pretty lazy. All of the "Featured Threads" and "Worldforge Reader Recs" are directly grabbed from our fellow community members. I spend a great deal of time on chat and what wasn't posted in the "What are your favorite threads from December?" (found in the General forum) I grabbed by harassing people in chat to get off their butts and tell me what threads they've been enjoying! Because I'd made them do that, I added one of my own as well

Worldforge Features were selected by myself, although I had meant to ask my CPs for suggestions and forgot. Oopsie!

That said...I totally and completely want players to send me recommendations! That's my whole aim here: If there are threads and characters you'd love to see featured, throw me the links/names and I'll totally run with it. I want your feedback, your involvement, your interest! I don't know everything that's going on within the game itself, so I totally rely on other people in the game to point out things that are grabbing their interest. That includes characters that I may not know or get a chance to interact with myself.

So, yes, please--do my work for me and send me threads and names
Old January 2, 2011, 03:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Veleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious Superhero

Lauren this is great!!!!

I love the Q&A with the featured city and player character. This is great way to showcase parts of Aelyria that may not get as much exposure as before. Excellently formatted as always and truly informative!

Sign me up for a subscription to the newsletter, I would love to receive this on a regular basis!

Tyler/Vel

SoF

RL Update (November 15th, 2018) - On an indefinite hiatus, as 10 month old kid/working full time is taking up all free time.

Veleraen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2011, 04:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Legend

Iori McKenzie is a glorious SuperheroIori McKenzie is a glorious SuperheroIori McKenzie is a glorious SuperheroIori McKenzie is a glorious SuperheroIori McKenzie is a glorious SuperheroIori McKenzie is a glorious SuperheroIori McKenzie is a glorious SuperheroIori McKenzie is a glorious SuperheroIori McKenzie is a glorious SuperheroIori McKenzie is a glorious Superhero

This is really really great! ^ Vel, I love the Q&A part and I want to complain it is too short!! :< /me wants longer interviews!

Also, I don't see a problem with the name. It's nice, catchy, direct, and accurate?
Old January 2, 2011, 06:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Steel
Kaar is a glorious SuperheroKaar is a glorious SuperheroKaar is a glorious SuperheroKaar is a glorious SuperheroKaar is a glorious SuperheroKaar is a glorious Superhero

I too would love to get this every month.
Old January 2, 2011, 06:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Famous

Kakita Miyuki is a famous HeroKakita Miyuki is a famous Hero

Same, I would love to get this every month.
Old January 2, 2011, 10:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rattttt

I will happily take your names down and cobble together a PM-friendly version

Iori! What sort of questions would you be interested in seeing answered by GMs or PCs? Anything you yourself would think you'd have a blast answering? Just to get an idea of where to bounce off of so my questions don't bore you guys
Old January 2, 2011, 10:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Former Staff

Duvel is a benevolent Adventurer

Maybe a question or two on the player behind the character?
Duvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2011, 10:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Floating Skull of Ebil

Shalafi is a glorious SuperheroShalafi is a glorious SuperheroShalafi is a glorious SuperheroShalafi is a glorious SuperheroShalafi is a glorious SuperheroShalafi is a glorious SuperheroShalafi is a glorious SuperheroShalafi is a glorious SuperheroShalafi is a glorious SuperheroShalafi is a glorious SuperheroShalafi is a glorious Superhero

Nice job. Great way to summarize all the goings on. Look forward to future editions.
Shalafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2011, 11:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Former Staff

Oogie boogie is a famous HeroOogie boogie is a famous HeroOogie boogie is a famous Hero
As for questions about the player... keep in mind that a few people may not wish to answer those, although others would be happy to do so... maybe point out any such questions as clearly optional and handle them with care?

I would ask more about the PC itself, things like: What is [PC's name] currently doing? What do you regard as [PC's name] greatest achievement/biggest failure? What are [PC's name] political/religious/whatever-applies views? etc

pd. Also, please do subscribe me to this if you can!
Oogie boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2011, 11:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Rattttt

Good suggestions, Oogie, thank you!

I'm sort of on the fence with the person behind the character myself. I can see where people would be interested in the information, but I'm also well aware that some folk simply aren't big on talking about themselves (and some people share TOO much--also problematic haha). We'll see how that could be handled
Old January 2, 2011, 02:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Mythic

Malkaer Andares is a glorious SuperheroMalkaer Andares is a glorious SuperheroMalkaer Andares is a glorious Superhero
Nice read! Alexis is an excellent first victim for an interview.

Regent of Aelyria - Correspondence - CIR - SoF

“Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation.”
- H. Kissinger
Malkaer Andares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2011, 06:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Urban Redneck

Steve is a glorious SuperheroSteve is a glorious SuperheroSteve is a glorious SuperheroSteve is a glorious Superhero

An excellent edition and an excellent title.

I would like to see the Featured Character continued.

I would also like to see interviews of Aelyria Management, from Juan on down.

Thanks for doing this.

Paxia - where both loquaciousness and succinctness are acceptable

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. (an ancient Yeti Proverb)
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: