Old August 27, 2018, 10:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Steel
Alphonsus is a benevolent Adventurer

The young lady elf looked confused for a moment before the dawn of understanding lit her confused mind. "No, no. I am not robbing you or anything. I am tasked to ensure you have enough gold and no weapons before I am signal our ride over. You are not a constable or spy or anything along that line right? Just another islander who got locked out of their home right?"

She moved the light closer to reveal it was spellbreaker made. A simple light globe, not a weapon of any sort. "Mind if I see if you brought along any money. I don't see any weapons, so I think we should be safe on that account."

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Posting Status: Injured Hand. Slow post
Medonia's Detective, Telath's Bard
Alphonsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2018, 06:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Ashandra Gha'Nalis is a glorious SuperheroAshandra Gha'Nalis is a glorious SuperheroAshandra Gha'Nalis is a glorious Superhero
OOC: I have another thread in the works for Ashandra to sell the majority of her properties. There are over ten of them, but there is absolutely no way she won't be able to get at least 100 gold from selling all of them. Hell, just one of them should net her more than 100 gold, especially the one in Aelyria Prime! So even though Ashandra's wealth tier is only Sterling, she should have the 100 gold by the time this thread comes around.

Ashandra blinked in surprise. That certainly was not what she had been expecting. "Oh!" She exclaimed, an embarrassed blush coming over her pale features.

Ashandra quickly pulled out the gold that she had managed to scrounge together. She had recently sold the vast majority of her properties in order to afford any bribes - or even legitimate costs - that she might incur in her attempt to return to Ieffreon. The loss of those places had not hurt as much as she had expected; though they held many memories, it was beyond time that she let go of them, in order to move toward a future that she wanted.

"If'n ye would like t' search me more thoroughly, y'll find that I am unarmed. I wish for nothin' more than to return home." Ashandra ssured the other woman.

Ashandra Gha'Nalis
And I will reiterate: I want no salads
prepared by Ashandra. ~ GM Trouble

Ashandra Gha'Nalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2018, 09:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
Mythic

oocNot to worry. I think by Sterling wealth, you should have 100 crowns

There was a sigh of relief after she saw Ashandra pouch. There was a goodly amount of coins within and there wasn't any visible weapons. She smiled and with her light globe, she made some patterns by covering and uncovering her hands. Three quick flashes of light came from the Dhow and it sailed over.

"Serale! Come on, step right on." An urgent whisper came from the cloak figure on the ship. It was the voice of Captain Appleton.

Once Ashandra and the other elf had boarded, Captain Appleton beckoned them to sit down, leaning against the sides. "Sorry for the subterfuge, but I have no time to vet you through, like the other passengers I have. Wait here for ten minutes and you can walk around freely." The captain went to the wheel and set sail, waving at the habour guards as the ship exited the habour.

Ten minutes later, if Ashandra decided to go exploring, she would find the captain manning the wheel at the back. There wasn't much on this ship, except for a small cargo hold below which contained a few beds and four chairs and a table, all nailed down. There were also a few crates of food and a few barrels of water stacked neatly at the back of the hold. If Ashandra was into ship building, she would find that the cargo hold was only half the size of the norm for a ship this size... likely this was built to prevent carrying too many cargo so it could move faster.

There were a few more crates tied along the topside of the ship, giving the idea that this was a cargo ship. If she were to check these crates out, she would find them to be empty.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old September 1, 2018, 08:58 AM   #19 (permalink)
Mythic

Ashandra Gha'Nalis is a glorious SuperheroAshandra Gha'Nalis is a glorious SuperheroAshandra Gha'Nalis is a glorious Superhero
Ashandra had only been on the open water a handful of times in her life. Raised on the distant mountain tops of her Rhaghrnd homeland, her first sight of the ocean had only come when she had originally arrived in Ieffreon at the beginning of her vision quest - and that had only been a handful of years ago, now.

As such, Ashandra was not particularly comfortable on a ship, but she could not deny that the sight of the open water was both beautiful and terrifying - at least to her eyes. Did all individuals feel this same sense of depth, of fear, of too much when they looked out over the water, no end in sight?

Probably not. They were accustomed to it; even the most landlocked of Aelyrian citizens had seen it more time sin their life than she could possibly fathom.

Still, Ashandra couldn't deny herself the opportunity to see the open water like this, and so she eventually brought herself out onto the deck after perhaps half a candlemark. She took note of the empty barrels as possible hiding spots, should they come under scrutiny from officials - they were entering what were considered foreign waters, after all, without the permission of the proper authorities. Would they be attacked on sight? Imprisoned? Returned to whence they came under guard? None of these possibilities were particularly appealing.

So Ashandra contented herself with staring out over the water - well away from the edge, of course. She was already unsteady on her feet, and she had no interest in falling over the edge and into the water. Though she could swim - having learned in Ieffreon several years ago - she had absolutely no interest in testing that ability, especially when she had rarely found a use for it, after her lessons had been completed.

Ashandra Gha'Nalis

Old September 1, 2018, 02:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
Mythic

Staring out into the dark open seas, she had no idea how much time had passed, but she did notice the ship was slowly down. Captain Appleton whistled to signal everyone to join up at the wheel.

When Ashandra approached, she noticed four other elves and a cether had joined her.

"A little cover story is in order. Listen well and keep to it. I want to enter and leave the islands on this ship and not swimming. Get me!" The captain informed in a no nonsense manner. "Right, we will be using your name listed in the visa, so there's no need to remember another false name."

He pointed to the the four foot cether first. The cether had fair complexion and dark hair, and he could easily pass as a human child. "Tyler. You have worked as a fisherman before and so you are hired to point out where all the good fishing spots are. If we are questioned, you will be apologetic and be as convincing as possible that you have no idea where you are, since you are just pointing at where the fishes would be."

Next he pointed at the 6 foot, very muscular Medonian elf. Ashandra noticed this elf had very small elven ears. "R'avi, as said, you will be handling the sail and riggings. Lucky for your sailing knowledge that I even deem to take you in. Remember, don't talk and act as a dumb sailor. Your lying ability is really abysmal at best."

To the next elf in line, was the one who had spoken to Ashandra earlier. "Corvet. I hope you are as good a cook as you have proclaimed. When asked, you just said you were hired as a cook. You might be tested if anyone board our ship, so make sure you satisfy their stomach."

Then onwards to the other male elf, an Esh'lahier just like Ashandra. He's can only be described as petite with a small hand. "Doorian? Durian? Dar-rian? How do you pronounce your name again. Don't answer, that's rhetoric. It's best no one knows as you will be playing as the mute bard. I heard your fluting ability and that's why you are hired by the remaining two ladies here on this fishing expedition."

Finally to the last two. Ashandra and a half esh’lahier/half thėlyri. "Ahhh... the two ladies who paid fully. Lady Morwena and Lady, erm, what's your name again?" After Ashandra provided her name, he continued. "Lady Morwena here has an old injury that caused her gills to be non-functional during a swim and she had been afraid of swimming after that, sad, but it gives a good reason here. So, you two have met each other a few months ago and became fast friends. Lady Morwena had confided you of her fear and you have decided to show her one of your favourite activity, fishing, hoping it will overcome her fears. I hope you really do know how to fish, as all our lives literally depends on it."

He pointed to the back where there was a few fishing poles, two hand nets, a big can containing worms. "Any questions?"

All of them shook their heads, confirming their understanding.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old September 2, 2018, 08:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
Mythic

Ashandra was happy enough to give her name - she could think of no reason to lie at this junction, after all.

"Well, this should be interestin', considerin' I've never fished in m' life ..." Ashandra commented, shrugging her shoulders. And it was true - though she had learned how to swim in Ieffreon, thanks to a helpful tutor, she had never found a reason to learn how to fish. Hopefully it wouldn't be too hard though, right?

Turning to the small cether, Ashandra made her way over to to stand next to him. "Mayhap y' can give me a couple o' quick pointers so I'n no' quite so obvious?" Ashandra suggested with a slight wince. There was no reason to go in to this venture completely blind, after all.

Ashandra Gha'Nalis

Old September 2, 2018, 01:20 PM   #22 (permalink)
Mythic

To ensure the parts went smoothly, Tyler agreed to teach both Ashandra and Morwena how to fish. "Don't worry too much. I am hired to set all your lines after all. You will just need to learn to attach those worms to the hook and how to throw the lines. Here, watch." He took one of the slimy worms and knotted it around a iron hook. Then he took hold of the line, spun it a few times and threw it out into the sea. "From here on, it's just holding the rod tightly and pulling the line back. I don't expect us to catch any fish... But to ensure our bluff is thorough, Captain Appleton had purchase a few local fish and place them in the barrel over there. We will just say you caught them."

Captain Appleton looked into the darkening skies and the distant lights for a while and sighed. "We won't be heading anywhere now, so it's a good time for everyone to have a rest. I will stay up here for a few candlemarks. Sleep well and put on your game faces in the brightening. We will attempt to slip through in the brightening... since no self respecting noble elves would want to fish in the dark, yes?"

R'avi threw the anchor over as requested and then followed everyone down to the cargo hold to rest.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old September 6, 2018, 12:42 PM   #23 (permalink)
Mythic

Ashandra listened attentively as Tyler outlined how to fish, intrigued in spite of herself. It was an interesting way to catch one's dinner, to be sure ... but it was something that one who wished to make their home on Ieffreon permanently should know, she supposed.

Still, it didn't take long to get a firm grasp on how to work an already prepared fishing line, and Ashandra soon found herself ushered down below by the obviously flustered Captain Appleton.

Once down below, Ashandra quickly selected a bed as close to Lady Morwena as possible. The point of this was not to speak to the other woman so much, as it was to glean the smaller parts of her personality. As a close friend, after all, Ashandra would know all of her small quirks - did she talk in her sleep? Breathe more loudly than her peers? Snore? It was the small points that would give them away, and Ashandra had no intention of being caught up in those.

No, she was getting to Ieffreon ... no matter what it took.

OOC: I think the best part of this captain is the fact that his name is the same as the town I live in ... Appleton.

Ashandra Gha'Nalis

Old September 12, 2018, 08:35 AM   #24 (permalink)
Mythic

oocReally? That's unexpected and going to be so fun.

Lady Morwena was actually known as Mor Wren, and she was the daughter of a bird rearer. In her sleep, she snored, snorted, drooled and tossed around the bed she was on frequently. A very unladylike behaviour, but luckily, there were no rules stating highborns should sleep all prim and proper. All Captain Appleton cared about was her ladylike behaviour when she was awake.

The darkening went on as it should and everyone felt asleep to the rocking motion of the ship and the peaceful sounds of the waves. Dawn came soon enough and Lady Morwena was the first to exit the cargo hold. A full minute later, there was a piercing scream. Ashandra recognized that voice to be her 'best friend.'

If she rushed out, she saw a very wet Lady Morwena rushing back in.

"Keep inside, except for my rigger! A storm has suddenly brewed up. We will be delayed a little perhaps, but nothing to worry about. She's a good ship!" Captain Appleton yelled in.

During the storm, the boys, R'avi and Doorian were kept busy with by the captain. The other two girls, Corvet and Mor were huddling in one corner, trying to keep whatever they had the previous brightening in. The storm lasted until late evening, and it had pulled them quite off course.

Ashandra could talk to anyone or help out wherever was needed, as long as she did not go up top. It seemed Captain Appleton didn't like women to be on the deck during the storm.

S O F | Nature Musicorum

Last edited by Alphonsus; September 12, 2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old September 22, 2018, 09:21 AM   #25 (permalink)
Mythic

Ashandra spared a glance at Mor, blinking in surprise. She had rushed toward the surface of the ship the moment she heard the other woman's scream, convinced that something terrible must have happened. The last thing she needed was for her own cover story to be blown completely out of the water - no pun intended, of course.

Grabbing a blanket from a nearby bed - Ashandra wasn't picky which bed she reached for, whether it was her own or somebody else's - she quickly wrapped it around the shivering Mor, leading her to sit down on a bed.

"Wha' 'appened?" It wasn't that Ashandra didn't trust their captain - it was only that he had seemed quite upset over a simple storm. Shouldn't a man of the sea be accustomed to these sorts of things? She didn't like how they weren't allowed up top; what, exactly, was the man trying to hide?

Ashandra Gha'Nalis

Old September 25, 2018, 12:00 PM   #26 (permalink)
Mythic

The two girls weren't all that talkative due to the seasickness they were having. Somewhere during noon time, R'avi dropped by, pushing a barrel of rainwater. If Ashandra offered to help, he allowed her to push the barrel to where the rest of the water barrel stood. "Don't mind the captain. He's superstitious. An old nautical superstition held that women on ships or boats were very bad luck. "

Calm returned back to the ship and everyone was served grilled fish. It wasn't all that fantastic, but it was delicious enough. Everyone would have a small piece of the fish paired with some boiled vegetable and a boiled potato.

After dinner, R'avi and Doorian were quite exhausted from battling the waves and promptly curled up on their beds and went to sleep. The captain announced that they had been blown quite off course, but it was nothing to worry about. He dropped anchor and asked everyone else to rest. Nothing should bother them after the storm.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old September 25, 2018, 08:23 PM   #27 (permalink)
Mythic

Ashandra shrugged. She supposed that it made a peculiar sort of sense, even if she didn't particularly agree with it.

Still, she allowed herself to be herded in whatever direction the captain pushed her; eating the dinner he had provided, sleeping in the cot that he had assigned to her.

If he meant her harm, she had her necromancy to turn to in her own defense. And if he didn't ... well, she would find herself in Ieffreon, or back on familiar shores soon enough.

Ashandra Gha'Nalis

Old October 6, 2018, 04:30 AM   #28 (permalink)
Mythic

oocLet's keep this moving

The darkening continued without much of an incident.

It was the candlemark of bewitching, the darkest period before the suns arose when the ear piercing scream of Mor came from above the hold. When Ashandra woke up, she saw Corvet, Doorian and R'avi had just been awoken by the scream.

If she were to head up, she would see the captain slumped on a table. There were droplets of blood on the floor. Mor was pointing at the captain or more accurately, the neck of the captain. There were two tiny punctured marks on the his neck.

Corvet, Doorian and R'avi looked at the marks with fear. Everyone knew what that meant... They were in the middle of nowhere, there was no escape from the beast of the darkening.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old October 16, 2018, 12:18 PM   #29 (permalink)
Mythic

Well, that was rather dramatic.

Ashandra surveyed the chaos on deck with a detached air. She was concerned, of course, that there was apparently a beast on board with a taste for human flesh, but ...

Well, perhaps not flesh, per say. No actual flesh seemed to have been consumed, only blood.

Ashandra was tempted to call upon her own powers in necromancy, to raise up the corpse before her, to gain some answers from the dead in the ways that only a necromancer could. She knew, however, that her companions would react with only more fear and hysteria. Letting others know that you were a necromancer was always a calculated risk, and Ashandra had no illusions that those before her would react with anything except violence to the idea.

But still, she couldn't allow those before her to descend into total anarchy and chaos. They could just as easily die from their own hysteria as they could from some unknown assailant.

"Mayhap we could jus' calm down an' try'n figure out jus' wha' 'appened here?" Ashandra commented, raising her voice to be ehard over any mutterings or muted conversations from her fellow shipmates.

Ashandra Gha'Nalis

Old October 22, 2018, 12:04 PM   #30 (permalink)
Mythic

The group calmed down upon Ashandra's words, but they didn't look comfortable at all. Suddenly, the captain's body felt from his seat, groaning a little on impact. The elves looked at the 'corpse' and there was a collective sigh of relieve. It seem that the captain was still alive, though still unconsious despite the hard fall.

"He's alive! That is a good news, right?" Mor turned to Ashandra and questioned urgently as the two guys helped the captain back to his seat.

"Hmmm... Is it my imagination or is someone missing since last darkening?" Mor asked.

S O F | Nature Musicorum

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: