Go Back   Aelyria > Games > Aelyria > Centripax > Centripaxian Heartlands > Midpoint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2002, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neo
Retired

Neo is an upstanding Citizen
Orb Midpoint Falconry and Owl Mews (Owl, Hawk and Falcon Training Center)

Set within the far, quiet, north-western area of Midpoint is the Midpoint owl and Falconry Mews. Lush green lawns spread out before one on suitable acreages that make up the land area for this place of birdtraining.

A low, stone house hugs the edge of the fields and around it at are bird-mews made of varnished logs that seem to sprawl out from a large single barn-like structure. The windows are covered with iron sheets and the large wooden doors are surprisingly left wide open. A narrow, cobbled path that winds it's way to wards the small complex of buildings begs you to stroll nearer for a better look and as you do, one can hear the soft caws, chirppings and hoots of the numerous birds kept there. The Mew in question is a large barn-like edifice made of varnished logs and perches and large oak trees form a pillow behind the whole compound.

Upon reaching the barn, you can see numerous perches within and on them sit all sorts of owls, falcons and hawks that give you curious, beady stares as you walk by. On further inspection, one can see an aged dwarf quietly sweeping areas of the concrete floor. The hard floor in question slants gradually towards one corner of the barn and one that is familiar with buildings will know that this speaks of excellent drainage. One side of the barn is covered in straw and the other half of it is clean, spotless concrete. Apparently, the birds are so well-trained that they don't even put droppings around this concrete area and the area in straw is slightly elevated for cleaning purposes.

On the far wall are shelves and cupboards that hold neatly stacked Falconry equipment...small bells, leather gloves, jesses and hoods; artificial perches, and numerous scales grace these shelves. Countless other equipment, doubtlessly used for tethering the birds are also placed here and beside the shelves are large sacks of bird-feed.

The whole effect of the barns is that of a very well-kept and highly ventilated area that doubles as a perfect home to protect the birds from all the elements. One would have expected the place to have a stench of bird-poo but ironically, the place has a faint smell of perfumed fragrance. The aged-looking dwarf cleaning up sees you arrive and smiles a greeting...he can see you wondering where the sweet smell is coming from and his grin widens...

"...Treated Pine-wood...that sweet smell you're experiencing? It comes from treated pinewood that we get specially from the Vers forests. I shred it down into simple wood-shavings and use it here in the barn..."

He extends a surprisingly clean, well-manicured hand and adds...

"Serale and welcome to Midpoint Owl and Falconry Mews. My name is Loperst and I run this small establishment that caters to the "Sport of Kings and Queens". I presume you are here to train your bird or purchase one? My home is that little stone house you see over there just to the side and we may discuss your needs for my services either here or in the confines of my humble home over a cool, or if you prefer, hot drink..."

He gives a keen smile that make his sharp, intelligent eyes glitter and he awaits your response...

Last edited by Neo; December 20, 2002 at 09:21 PM.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2002, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Adventurer

Faurink Maya is an upstanding Citizen
Faurink wanders in, carrying her male Redtail Hawk whom she had just recently named Tobias. She looks around, carefully handling his cage, and also his equipment which she had recently gotten, both of her arms where full. Hmm, this must be the right place, she thinks quietly to herself. She smells the treated pine wood that the dwarf was talking about, and then slowly turns to him, after having seen all of the other birds, and noticing the other equipment. "Serale sir, i am here with my male Redtail Hawk. His name is Tobias, and i am looking for some training to learn how to handle him. We could talk here if you don't mind," she says as she replies to him. Tobias who is sitting in the cage turns his head towards the dwarf and looks at him, also shifting his body weight in the cage a little. She smiles, both of her arms still full, having one with the cage, the other having the shoulder perch, right hand glove, hood, weeks worth of food, and the tethering line. The smell that has invaded her nostrils is very nice. It does smell fairly nice in here, she thinks to herself once more waiting the dwarf's reply...
Old December 30, 2002, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Neo
Retired

"Well, of course I can help you young lady...and I thank you most kindly for your remarks on the lovely pine-scent here. The scent helps the birds to relax and not feel too caged-in all the time because it reminds them of the open woods. I will be more than happy to train your new avian friend. Tobias is his name, you said? Hmmm..."

Loperst walks over to the cage and puts one of his fingers through the railings...then utters a low, strange coo. Tobias flutters to his extended digit and starts nibbling on it. Loperst stokes his beak and then removes his hand after a few seconds, saying...

"Tobias says to tell you he's hungry....and that he's bored."

Then he smiles and adds....

"I was just joking. He's undoubtedly a handsome looking hawk. And I see that you have began to bond with him already...that is good, for it will make his training that much easier. The terms of the service aren't that difficult...all I request when the training is done is a small donation of whatever amount your heart tells you to give me. The donation goes towards the upkeep of this little establishment and it is the true honorable way to charge people who learn to train their birds in this skill that is beloved of the nobiles"

Loperst walks over to the far wall and picks out various equipment; leather jesses, scales, a leather hood, bird clips and some other stuff. He places all of them into a small bag and says to Faurink Maya...

"I didn't quite catch your name, young lady. But that is really insignificant...I'm sure you will tell me later on as time goes by. many people that I have trainined in this art never tell me their names and you won't be the first exception. Would you like to start your training now"?
Old January 7, 2003, 06:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Adventurer

Hirose Ryuu is an upstanding Citizen
Having been told of this place from the clerk at Liana's Animal Shop, Hirose tightens the grip upon the cage that his female redtail hawk, Scarlet, is within. Upon opening the door, the smell slams into him, causing him to snif around for a moment before continuing foreward. "Very nice aroma, I must say.." Hirose says to the dwarf. "Serale, too." Grinning, he raises the cage with the hawk within. "I was wondering if I could obtain training on how to handle her..her name is Scarlet, and I am Hirose Ryuu."

"To live takes courage."
Hirose Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2003, 10:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Neo
Retired

Loperst smiles at the new visitor and replies...

"Serale, Hirose Ryuu! Welcome to my humble abode of avian training...and much appreciation for your comments on the pine aroma. The scent is a little development of mine because I beliueve that it is crucial to help the birds relax and not feel too caged-in all the time. It falsely reminds them of the open woods, you see. I will be more than happy to train your new avian friend. Scalet you said her name was? Very thoughtful name..."

Loperst carefully moves towards the cage and puts one of his fingers through the railings...then utters a low, strange coo. Scarlet doesn't immediately answer him and he tries to coo again. This time, scarlet glares at him for one long second before caustiously nibbling on the old dwarf's digit. Loperst stokes her beak and then removes his hand after a few seconds, saying...

"She's a shy one but holds much potential. I had to explain to her that I wasn't taking her to the dance to allay her fears..."

He laughs gently at his own little joke and adds....

"She will do very well here...shyness is actually an acute sense of being aware of the environment...and she is beautiful. The terms of the service aren't that difficult...all I request when the training is done is a small donation of whatever amount your heart tells you to give me. The donation goes towards the upkeep of this humble establishment and it is the true honorable way to charge people who learn to train their birds in this skill that is beloved of the nobiles. The military establishment of the city also patronize my skills and they also use my birds to deliver urgent messages...I understand that the officers now want to make it mandatory for the Alyssan Elite knights to be able to use them. An effective means of communication for the forces, in my opinion. But enough of that..."

Loperst walks over to the far wall and picks out various equipment; leather jesses, scales, a leather hood, bird clips and some other stuff. He places all of them into a small bag and says to Hirose...

"Shall we begin her training now? If so, feel free to follow me into the open fields..."
Old January 21, 2003, 03:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Famous

Duskin Treehide is an upstanding Citizen
Duskin walked in, the head of a peregrin falcon was bobbing above his shoulder where it was perched. Duskin was surprised to be ge greeted by such a kind dwarf, who had surprisingly clean hands.

"Nice to meet you Loperst," he said, shaking the dwarfs hand. "I was hoping to get teal here," he said, pointing to the falcon on his shoulder, "some training. Might this be possible?" he asked with a hopeful grin.
Duskin Treehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2003, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Neo
Retired

((OOC: Welcome to Midpoint Duskin Treehide...urmmm...is your falcon male or female? you gotta gimme something to work with...and I'm not sure I caught your name during the introductions...))

"Well, of course it will be possible...and I thank you most kindly for coming here to use my services. I will be more than happy to train your new avian friend. Teal is his name, you said? Hmmm..."

The old dwarf glanced at Teal and nodded...

"Undoubtedly a handsome looking hawk. And I see that you have began to bond with it already...that is good, for it will make it's training that much easier. The terms of the service aren't that difficult...all I request when the training is done is a small donation of whatever amount your heart tells you to give me. The donation goes towards the upkeep of this little establishment and it is the true honorable way to charge people who learn to train their birds in this skill that is beloved of the nobiles"

Loperst walks over to the far wall and picks out various equipment; leather jesses, scales, a leather hood, bird clips and some other stuff. He places all of them into a small bag and says to Duskin Treehide...

"I didn't quite catch your name, young man. But that is really insignificant...I'm sure you will tell me later on as time goes by. many people that I have trainined in this art never tell me their names and you won't be the first exception. Would you like to start your training now?"

Last edited by Neo; January 24, 2003 at 01:24 PM.
Old January 24, 2003, 04:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Famous

Duskin Treehide is an upstanding Citizen
OOC: Sorry! He's a he

IC:

"I do apologize Loperst. It seems you have told me your name so I should do the same. My name is Duskin Treehide, and I would be delighted to start training as soon as possible," he said with a smile, before going out to start his training.
Duskin Treehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2003, 12:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Neo
Retired

*TTT*