Go Back   Aelyria > The Archives > Aelyria Archive > Lauryl > Lauryllian Gracelands

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 1, 2011, 09:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Hero

Wealth Tier: Steel
Quilantes Zil'aven is a glorious SuperheroQuilantes Zil'aven is a glorious SuperheroQuilantes Zil'aven is a glorious SuperheroQuilantes Zil'aven is a glorious Superhero

[Lylles Palace] Not By The Hairs On Their Chinny-Chin-Chin! [Diana, Niven & Dante]

Early Winter of Era XVIII, PF

The biting chill of early winter didn't faze the Vyss'laheir as he rose with the dawn. Clambering from his bedroll, Quill quickly dressed and splashed his face with water from the nearby stream before making his way through the treeline and out onto the roads leading into the Lylles Palace once more.
This was the third brightening he had been camped outside the gates of the Palace, as the guards were proving more stubborn than most. Admittedly, they were an improvement on the violent threats from Eth'gantor in the west, but these men seemed determined to deny the elf passage, regardless of how he phrased his pleas. He had kept an upbeat personality and mentally supressed any impatience or anger he might've felt. Guards usually didn't respond well to threats.

As he walked, he glanced up at the windows of the Lylles Palace and wondered if anyone had noticed the relatively chatty-yet-obstinant elf who had been waiting outside their gates by now. He doubted it, as nobody had deigned to descend from the glittering spires or majectic double-doors, but it was all part of his optimistic attitude. As he approached the gates, he smiled and inclined his head politely to the guards who had just come on duty. He had found that dawn was usually the best time to approach them, as they were usually well-fed and rested at this point, and thus less likely to give the elf the time of the brightening.

"Good morning, Lester!" he said cheerfully to the guard as he trotted up to the gates. Guard duty was usually a dull and uneventful task out here in the Lauryllian Gracelands, so Quill had the advantage of keeping the men entertained in return for his infrequent requests for entry.
"Morning, Master Quill" the guard replied, leaning back against the walls of the gatetower and folding his arms with a smirk.
"Don't suppose you'd allow me an audience with the Lylles family this brightening?" he asked, interlacing his fingers above his head and stretching to loosen the muscles for the day. The other guardsman sighed and sat down on a stool, taking out a small pot of polish and removing one of his gauntlets.
"Fraid not, you know the rules. None-"
"-may enter the Palace without explicit invitation from the Lylles family" Quill finished wearily, "but how may one approach the Lylles with business if the Lylles do not know you are coming?"
"Write them a letter, o' course" the other guard said with an air of impatience. He wasn't quite as tolerant of the elf's frequent interruptions of what he saw as a peaceful billet.
"I gave you a note yesterbrightening!" Quill retorted, reaching into his satchel and offering Lester an apple before biting into one of his own.
"Well, then they haven't read it yet, or they simply have dismissed it" the guard shot back, putting down his pot of armor polish and glaring at Quill.
"If you're planning on hanging around here like a dog looking for scraps, we'll call you if we get a reply, hmm?"

Lester winked at Quill, but gestured with a nod of his chin that perhaps now wasn't the time to be bugging them. With a sigh, Quill turned and trotted a short distance back up the road before settling on a nearby tree stump and entered Clara.

A moment later, a bright flash erupted in the air high above the road, then another; each giving off a small crack like a whip. In moments, the guards had rushed over and Grumpy nudged Quill roughly where he sat with eyes closed on the log.
"Oi! What in the blue blazes do you think you're doing?!"
Quill blinked up at them innocently, as an orb of white light floated out of his palm to circle the man's head before hovering by the elf's shoulder.
"Why, I'm merely practicing my arcana, guardsman" he replied innocently, "I need to make sure my skills are up to scratch when the Lylles family call on me to demonstrate my abilities?"
Grumpy gave an angry huff, before storming off back to the gates, followed by a laughing Lester. Quill gave a self-satisfied smile, before slipping back into Clara and began to carefully inspect the weaves of his Orb of Light, practicing for the brightening when he would need to know how to create spells from scratch.

"...You Rank, Gray-Skinned Codpiece! You sniveling, tear-streaked, coattail-grasping, orc-face!
You lumpish, cabbit-brained, daydream bully! You straw-limbed, gutless, sparkle-finger-wavin' Straylor!
-igrainne
(Silly girl, she's just jealous that he's getting more action than her)

Last edited by Quilantes Zil'aven; December 2, 2011 at 03:46 AM.
Quilantes Zil'aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2011, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Notable

Diana de Lylles is an upstanding Citizen

Grumpy's name, to be more precise, was Grant, but it wasn't like Quil was going to care about that sort of detail. As they resumed their position at the gates -- the very closed, very not-opening gates -- Quil would no doubt have missed the fact that he was being watched. Many of the house staff had taken some interest in him, mainly because of the stories that were being passed through to them by the guards. The owners of the house, too, had noticed. Diana and her father had spent a bit of time the day before, standing in one of the upper drawing rooms and watching Quil argue futilely with the guards. The maids and butlers peeked around curtains to check on the little tableau below with interest. There were a couple of lotteries going about below-stairs discussing whether Quil would even get in, and if he did, when - and how. There were a few coins to be gained in his misery yet.

The note? Oh yes, they'd received it, and discussed it. And yet the gates remained closed. They were not heartless, of course, but his request was... suspicious. There had been plenty of random requests over the years, but what did this one want with them? The note had not been very specific, merely a frantic scribbling that requested audience for... what? Well, at least he was entertaining. There had been others that had come trying to gain entrance and failed. Some had unwisely tried to pick a fight, or sneak in over the wall -- he hadn't tried that yet, thankfully -- and the punishment for such things was... well, interesting in the manner of the curse. There had been bitter letters, too, sent by those turned away.

But the rule was there for a reason. No entry unless you had a letter of invitation or if one of the Lylles themselves walked you in the front door. It really did help with some of the peskier things in life, such as illness or assassination. It did tend to make things lonely sometimes. Those who truly needed assistance were helped in times of need - a few lost travelers had found the great palace and been tended to by the guards. Those who came with real need were sent home, but ambassadors and clerks were quick to follow to tend to things, such as had happened in Frigid River. The Lylles were not completely heartless -- they'd sent Lester out with a tray with hot cider and a nice comfortable meal last night, taking pity on him in the cold -- yet the doors remained closed and would stay that way for the foreseeable future.
Diana de Lylles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2011, 01:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Eternal

Dante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious Superhero

It was cold... too cold for Dante. He was frozen to the degree of frozenness that was nearly intolerable. He had Chariras on his lap in the carriage with Nelly between he and Niven, to keep her warm, and Nikki on Niven's lap. The other four Asunder children were on the other side of the carriage huddling together like squirrels in a den. The whole family had been outfitted with warm winter clothes for the trip across Lauryl, but that didn't make it all that enjoyable. Dante normally would have had issues with his child on his lap the whole trip, but there was no way he was giving up his little biothermal heater, no way.

Dante was still in a tizzy at the fact that Diana de Lylles had invited him and his whole family to stay with her. He fingered the letter in his pocket as the carriage bumped along, disturbing the little figure of Chariras who nuzzled deeper into his father. The dracon looked at Niven and smiled at her before turning his gaze to out the window.

Soon he saw their destination, and was quite impressed by the place. Everything seemed serene, regal and peaceful until a series of colorful explosions filled the sky. The horses suddenly whinied and reared jostling the carriage and startling pretty much everyone in it. There were gasps from the younger children, Chariras even started to whimper. Maya and Jar, the two oldest on the other side and therefore allowed the window seat quickly shot their heads out the windows to see what was going on, only to have their faces sprayed by kicked up snow from the carriage wheels and horse hooves.

"Ackthp," came Jar's response. "What the Fepppt?" came Maya's. All of the other children were to startled and scared to fake surprise at Maya's bad language and Dante was busy trying to settle the animals down in his own way. He channeled his vis to gather the ara about him before channeling said mixture to the plane of life and acquiring the essence there. He then channeled the conglomeration into himself as mana and cast 'Calm' on the horses pulling the carriage. Almost miraculously they came to a halt. The family wasn't the worse for wear, but they were still a little jumpy. Dante passed Chariras over to Maya as Niven had two girls to contend with and told everyone to get out of the carriage in case the horses decided to take off again.

Upon opening the carriage Dante noticed two things, first that they were there. Second that the guards seemed to be interested in a young man sitting cross legged on a stump. He seemed familiar, although Dante wasn't feeling nostaligic. Truth be told familiarity for him was bad. If the church was looking for him, and they knew about his friendship with Diana then their trip might have been compromised. Not to mention the little light show might have got them all killed had the driver lost control and the horses not calmed and the carriage had flipped over.

The dracon in the Eshlahier seeming glared at the youth on the stump and went into clara. Ready to start countering if the mage should appear hostile. "Is it a sound practice to create such an ostentatious display so close to the road? Someone might have been hurt, and by someone I mean one of *my* family."

Dante wasn't sure what the guards would do, but he was sure that once they read his formal invitation they'd be on his side, at least he hoped so. The Asunder children had dutifully filed out of the carriage and Maya, Jar and Kel were all standing protectively between the smaller children and the mage. Maya had her dagger out, Jar his shortsword, and Kel his lute (not that that's really a weapon per se, but its what he had). In fact all but Chariras were armed and seemed like their father had been giving them lessons. Regardless they didn't seem to be advancing on said mage, they were letting their father deal with him for the time being.

Last edited by Dante Asunder; December 6, 2011 at 02:28 PM.
Dante Asunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2011, 02:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Niven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious Superhero

As the family rode towards the home of Diana de Lylles, Niven tried to remember why she and Dante had decided that this was a better idea then staying in Demios for the winter. Demios was warm. The Laurylian Gracelands were not. Niven watched the 4 eldest Asunder children huddle together to keep warm. Juno decided to curl up at their feet. Each of them were attempting to use each other for warmth. Niven smiled a sympathetic smile as she hugged Nikki close. Nelly was nestled in between her and Chariras who was using his father for warmth. But by the looks of things, he was doing the same from their youngest. Niven caught Dante's eye and smiled back before she kissed Nikki's auburn hair and watched the scenery go by out the window on the opposite side of the carriage. A thick white blanket of snow covered everything here. Niven shivered slightly, just thinking about the coldness of the snow. She was certain she would never be so happy to get to a destination as she would be to get to this one.

Suddenly there was loud explosions of colour and Niven jumped at the first sound, hugging both Nelly and Nikki close to her as the noise gave them frights as well. Chariras whimpered and Niven glanced at her youngest son as he nestled closer into his father.

Jar and Maya stuck their heads out the windows, only to get pelted with snow. Maya cussed and Niven shot the oldest Asunder girl a look. "MJ!" she said in a warning tone. She looked at Dante who seemed to be using arcana to help their situation. Niven never ceased to be grateful for her fiance's many talents. When they stopped Niven released the breath she didn't know she'd been holding. Dante handed Chariras to Maya and exited the carriage, ordering everyone else to do the same. The blond elf nodded. She encouraged the older ones and Juno to exit first. Then she stood and handed Nikki to Jar and helped Nelly get out. Niven jumped out last.

By the time she was out, all but Chariras had a weapon of some kind in their hands. Niven sighed. She knew they wanted to help, but there were guards to help Dante if he needed it. Rounding up the children, Niven kept them to the side of the carriage, still within view of Dante, the guards and the man responsible for their eventful arrival. "Put your weapons away. We need to stay together and out of the way," she said to the children. "Your father will handle this and then we will be warm inside soon." Niven hugged the little girls to her and tried to listen to the conversation going on a few feet away.

CIR | SoF

Thread Count: 12 + 5
Niven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2011, 08:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hero

Quilantes Zil'aven is a glorious SuperheroQuilantes Zil'aven is a glorious SuperheroQuilantes Zil'aven is a glorious SuperheroQuilantes Zil'aven is a glorious Superhero

Quill had been unable to hear the distant, surprised whinny of horses over the tail end of his conversation with the guards. As the two men returned to their posts, Quill had barely begun teasing apart the weaves of his Globe of Light before the crunching of snow beneath the man's approaching feet drew his attention upwards. Despite himself, eyes narrowed slightly as he quickly identified the (apparent) race of the speaker. Still, the Esh'laheir's concerns were legitimate and not to be tossed aside as the boy was tempted to do. After all, he was not to know that the carriage was approaching through the light snowfall when he cast his spell, nor did he have any way of knowing. As these people were likely guests of the very family he was trying to gain an audience with, however, the boy bit his tongue and instead smiled politely at the elf, rising to his feet and offering Dante a bow of apology.

"My deepest apologies go out to you, brother elf, if I have in any way slighted or - Ioannes forbid - harmed either yourself of your family." he spoke, the fluid, musical notes of Esh'lahein flowing from his tongue like the fast-moving streams of meltwater in a Lauryllian spring. "You have my word that such was not intended, nor shall it happen again. My name is Quill, child of the Andares, and if there is any way I may repay you for my unthinking acts, you only need to ask. If I may be so bold as to ask, what family do you hail from? Perhaps I have heard of them?" he asked curiously, surprised that an Esh, of all folk, would not be welcoming the weather of their homeland. There were several other cues that threw Quill off, such as a distinct lack of accent to the elf's voice, as well as the absence of Esh'lahein blood in the children gathered protectively by the cart. However, it was not through any attempts at catching Dante out, but through eagerness at the chance to converse with a fellow Esh that had spurred the choice to talk to Dante entirely in Esh'lahein. Quill blinked up at Dante politely, awaiting the Esh'laheir's response as he stood comfortably in the cold. The subtle needling was intended to determine whether the Esh was a native or a 'foreigner', so as to better judge the man's adherence to the Old (read; overtly xenophobic and arrogant) Way of the Eth'gantorian Esh'laheir instead of the more liberal views of the Imperial Esh'laheir - such as the Andares of Medonia. Quill was hardly to know, of course, that he wasn't speaking to an Esh'laheir at all.

Of course, the fact that Esh'laheir don't usually own a pair of snowy-white wings was also a bit of a tip-off that this Esh'laheir was no more a pureborn than Quill himself was.

"Can I offer your family my cloak, perhaps? The lady looks rather cold" he asked innocently, as he began to shrug out of his fur-lined, black cloak. Jostled free, however, was a medallion worn around his neck that may or may not stir faint memories in the Dracon's mind. A dreamcatcher, woven and tied off with small white feathers, hung from the neck by a thin silver chain.

"...You Rank, Gray-Skinned Codpiece! You sniveling, tear-streaked, coattail-grasping, orc-face!
You lumpish, cabbit-brained, daydream bully! You straw-limbed, gutless, sparkle-finger-wavin' Straylor!
-igrainne

Last edited by Quilantes Zil'aven; December 6, 2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old December 6, 2011, 09:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Notable

As the carriage came near, the guards noticed before Quil did, particularly the ones up on the walltops. There was a nearly imperceptible shift in behavior as the carriage came to a frothing stop -- the guards snapped more to attention, the boredly amused expressions on their faces mellowing to a sharper, attentive gaze. They retreated fully to the wall, stationing themselves on either side as they watched the carriage doors open and... well, a lot of children pour out. Silent, they watched as the strange pair of elves addressed the one they had begun to consider the resident upstart. Did they know each other? It didn't seem immediately clear, mostly because Quil was speaking to Dante in a language that the two human guards did not understand.

That tended to make guards a wee bit nervous, understandably so. Already a message had come down from the walltop to the big house, but the rule was clear. No way in unless you had a letter. No one, least of all Diana, knew exactly how Dante meant to come, if he was to come at all, and thus they were unaware of the identities of those that stood in the snow at their very gates.
Old December 6, 2011, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Eternal

Dante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious Superhero

The children looked at Niven confused, even hurt for a moment, before sliding their weapons into their various hiding places. Chariras headed for Niven raising his little human arms to the sky in an attempt at her attention. Nelly, the little green draconess, seemed unusually defiant or it could be that she simply didn't have a way to put her 'weapons' away. She kept her claws at the ready in the K'tesh stance her father had taught her. Even her lips curled a bit in a snarl. Any other situation and it might have been cute.

Nikki slipped her dagger away and moved to stand by Jar. Her pale human skin and red hair the contrast to his Vysstichi complexion. He was a strong lad, somewhere in his fifties, which for a Vysstichi was about 15, and had a hawk like expression as he looked back and forth between the guards at the palace and the magic using elf. The only thing readable on his expression was irritation. Of course that may have been from the moist nature of the front of his clothes received from said snow spray.

Maya had stepped up to Jar's side, and although the dagger had disappeared it had appeared initially like lightning and could do so again. She stood with her arms folded, looking almost amused at the Eshlahier with her flawless beauty of a vysstichi face. Kel, the other Vysstichi with the lute, was the more handsome of the two boys, but he was also the smaller. He didn't put his lute away, mostly because it was too large. He did change his grip on it though so it looked less threatening.

Dante in the mean time looked like the picturesque view of confusion. He kept his eyes on the Eshlahier before him and backed up to Niven, passing her the letter by which they were summoned. He then moved back toward the elf, carefully, getting distance between himself and his family before speaking again. "Sorry friend. Never learned Eshi. I'll have to..." he paused mid sentence as his eyes narrowed at the dream catcher on the man's chest. "You look familiar. What did you say your name was again?"

Last edited by Dante Asunder; December 6, 2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old December 6, 2011, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Niven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious Superhero

Niven was grateful for the children's co-operation, though she knew none of them were happy about it. She didn't care. She understood their reasoning, but they now needed to understand hers. She knew Dante would try to resolve this as peacefully as possible. The weapons could stay tucked away until absolutely needed.

Chariras reached for her and Niven picked him up. This caused the chilly air to enter under her cloak, but her son's comfort was secondary to her needs at this moment. She kissed his blond head and watched.

The man started speaking to Dante in a language Niven couldn't understand, but she did recognize it as a form of Elvish. She bit her lip to keep from laughing. Poor Dante. At lest it was reassuring to know that his seeming was pretty convincing.

Dante backed up to her and slipped her the letter discreetly. Niven took it, her hand brushing his, letting him know she understood. She hid the letter under her cloak, between herself and Chariras. This was an important document and needed to be kept safe. This whole trip would have been for naught without it.

CIR | SoF

Old December 6, 2011, 10:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hero

Quill's brow furrowed slightly in suspicion. Never learnt Eshi? This person standing before him may have the blood of an Esh'laheir, but he was no true shadow elf if he hadn't even learnt his native language.
"I apologise for the assumption" he said in fluent Common, although with the slight elongation of vowels and stress on the rise and fall in pitch that was distinctive of the shadow dialect.
"M'lord, I simply stated that any harm done to either yourself or your family was entirely by accident and I sincerely apologise for my irresponsibility."

As Dante's eyes fell on his dreamcatcher, Quill's crimson eyes widened almost imperceptibly in alarm. His family's assassins had found him in Mystique barely two months past, could this man be a part of such a troupe? His answer came from the rather amusing attempts at self-defence from the children, which were being hushed away by the elven lady watching over them. No, assassins wouldn't burden themselves with children unless it was for a disguise, and even then, the children wouldn't be taught to bear arms at the slightest mention of trouble. Someone he had met before then..? Slowly, slender fingers reached up to finger the dreamcatcher around his neck before slipping it beneath his shirt once more.
"My name is Quilantes, child of the Esh'lahein Andares and the Vysstichi Zil'aven. Your face is unfamiliar, sir...have we met?" he asked, hands clasped loosely behind his back, out of sight as unshaped Thaumaturgical mana coalesced into the palms of his hands. One suspicious answer, one false move and this man would be contending with a Blinding Flash to the face as Quill's calf muscles bunched in a fight-or-flight syndrome. He was trying to keep his breathing even, although his heart was hammering in his chest and his gaze flickered from the man standing before him to the family by the cart. The boy was nervous about something, that much would be perceptible to Dante's trained eye.

~~~~~

Yrael, unlike her Lauryllian master, was as cold as the newcomers. She too was a resident of the Fire Isles, and found the winters this far inland to be thoroughly unpleasant. Doing several laps of the palace walls on snowy wings, the alicat finally spied an window cracked ajar and swooped in to land on the adjacent balcony with a flutter of wings. Sapphire eyes gauged the gap in the window, as a white rump raised itself slightly, tail lashing in preparation to pounce. A leap, a brief scrabble of her back paws, and Yrael was indoors. With that, she trotted off down the corridor in search of an open fireplace, some lunch and maybe even a hand willing to scratch her behind the ears.
Mrowl?

-igrainne
Old December 7, 2011, 10:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Notable

The house proper was not aware yet of the arrival of Dante's party. The guards on the walltop had passed on a message to those guards inside the grounds, but only as a precautionary measure should something go astray. There was no real cause for concern yet, though the lot before them seemed to be quite the motley array of races. There were children, and assassins never brought children. The guards were not aware of the letter Diana had sent, so had no reason at all to expect Dante to present himself at this time. Their intention was to wait until the conversation between Dante and their comic relief was over before asking what purpose he had for his visit.

And so Diana played her violin, the notes rising and falling as she tiptoed through the scales, running through some of the exercises left to her by her last tutor. If she had been aware of Yrael's presence, she would have set the whole house into a tizzy trying to find out where the creature had come from and why. Instead, Yrael found the corridor empty, leading to a graceful spiral staircase that would deposit her on the ground floor. From there, it was a mere matter of following her nose to the kitchen. That is, until the head butler saw her.

"Here now, what's this?" The man, half human and half elvish and old enough for his eras, bent to pick up Yrael. "Now who might you belong to, I wonder..."
Old December 7, 2011, 10:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Hero

Yrael, having lived with Quill for over an era now, had taken on some of her master's traits. Namely, a certain skittishness and disinclination for being mancathandled. The scent of food drew her attention, enough so that she was unaware when the butler snuck up on her and started to reach down. Staring up at the two-legger with the quintessential Startled Cat Stare, Yrael hunched in on herself as the fur on her back stood on end. Quick as a flash, she darted through the man's legs and sprinted silently for the kitchen. Her master had never seen the purpose in making her wear a bell or a collar of any sort, so the alicat was like a bolt of white lightning as she darted into the kitchens, grabbed the nearest and most succulent-smelling item from the nearest table, before leaping out of a nearby doorway and darting back towards the butler. Several yards before where the man was standing, Yrael sprang into the air and spread snowy-white wings, as she attempted to sail over the butler's head and fly off down the narrow corridors...quite possibly with a trail of irate serving staff following in her wake.

-igrainne
Old December 7, 2011, 11:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Eternal

Dante's eyes widened in surprise as the youth said his name again. He knew this man. He was the team lead on the infiltration mission into Archadoon ages ago. The one that never really got underway one the politicians got involved. Dante was about to greet the man, when he realized two things. First was that the only face Dante had that Quill would know was his true seeming and two that the boy was using arcana.

"Let it go friend. I'll accept the apology for the accidental startling of the team, but I'm not in the mood to be trifled with," with that a shining armor appeared about him as he used his vis to gather the ara around him and then pull the essence from the plane of life to create mana then cast the spell arcane shield, only with an adept amount of vis. A matare then appeared from out of nowhere, the traditional long polearm weapons of the dracons. It might be familiar to the half-Eshi, but then again maybe not.

Dante noticed that his family was still by the carriage. Still looking at thaum through narrowed Eshlahier eyes he used the call to communicate to the one member of the family he could. Nelly the little green draconess looked confused for a moment, before she relaxed slightly and turned up to Niven. "Mummy? Daddy says that we should take the letter to the gate guards. They should let us inside with it."

The rest of the children looked toward their mom, turning back to eye the mage and keep the whole situation in their perception. The children were waiting to follow Niven's lead although the older two seemed eager to stay outside and see the fight, assuming one occurred.

"Perhaps we have sir. You are Quill the thaumaturge? You seem to have come a long way from your research assisting brightenings. Now you sit on stumps outside respectable palaces practicing your craft for the amusement of guardsmen? Researcher turned entertainer?" He looked the boy over for a second, "So did my smack to your face straighten you up at all? You a leader now?"

Old December 8, 2011, 02:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

It was fair to say Niven started to get a little nervous when Dante's armour and mantare appeared. Her heart sank. 'So much for peaceful resolution,' she thought. The elf shifted Chariras' weight onto her other hip and ushered the children closer behind the carriage. Nelly seemed to be confused for a moment, but then her expression changed and she looked at the elf and relayed Dante's instructions. If Niven'd had a free hand she would have smacked her head with it.

Shooing the kids back towards the guards, Niven fetched the letter from within her cloak and slipped it to the guard. "We received this. I've been made aware that this should permit the children to enter. Please get them in quickly." Niven handed Chariras off to Maya. She kissed the boys head once he was safely in his sister's arms. As soon as the children and Juno were safely inside, Niven headed for the carriage and retrieved her bow and quiver of arrows. Slinging the quiver over her head, Niven knocked an arrow, and hid behind the carriage, where she would be just out of sight to the Eshlahier who she now didn't trust in the slightest. What struck the elf, though, was that Dante seemed to know his adversary, yet still he armed himself. Dante should still be able to see her. The elf woman was prepared to assist in the only way she knew how.

CIR | SoF

Old December 8, 2011, 07:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Hero

Quill's eyes widened as the Arcane Armor flashed into place, as a polearm was summoned instantaneously to the man's side. In fact, it was only the faint glimmer of recognition for the rather unique weapon that stayed Quill's hand and kept him standing in his place.
"I only know one thaumaturge in Aelyria who's staff doubled as a blade...Master Dragon, Sir" he said, the breath whooshing out of his lungs in a relieved sigh as a warm smile split the boy's youthful face. To the dracon-turned-esh, the boy didn't seem to have aged a brightening since he last saw him. Releasing the mana with a dismissive flicker of thought, Quill rested his open palms against his thighs as he bowed low in greeting.
"I had only read about the fabled Moraden shapeshifting abilities in books, and I must say that you pull off a very impressive disguise...even if your wings are a bit out-of-the-ordinary" he said wryly, his posture now relaxed as he glanced over at the waifish elven female standing, bow in hand, beside the carriage with a worried look.
"I believe your companion is still on edge, Master Dragon" he pointed out, giving her a reassuring smile and a duck of his head in greeting.

"Much has happened in my life since Archadoon, some more fortuitous than others and would take more than a casual conversation to relay" Quill admitted, shifting his weight to his other foot, conscious that he was keeping the (cold-blooded?) creature in the cold, "but suffice to say that certain events have driven me from Mystique in search of employment. I came to the Lylles Palace in the hopes that the noble family could use my services as a healer, but after three brightenings I am still awaiting an audience. I'm confident that fortune favours the patient, however, and the Lylles haven't seen stubbornness until they see a real Eshy digging his heels in!" Quill said with an easy grin and an optimistic air. The boy had clearly changed from the shrinking wallflower Dante had met all those moons ago, and while Quill would still never boast that he was a born leader, he was no longer afraid to assert his opinions when the situation demanded.

"Master Dragon, I'd say that slap was one of the best things to have happened to me in a long time" he finished sincerely, before taking a step back and nodding to the gates.
"Please, don't let me detain you. Clearly Lauryllian weather isn't agreeing with you! Oh, and if you happen to be speaking to the Lylles, perhaps you could mention our work together at the gates of the undead city. All I need is an opportunity to showcase my abilities; I assure you that my skill has grown since we last met!"

-igrainne
Old December 8, 2011, 08:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
Notable

The more friendly-looking guard stepped forward as Niven hurried toward him. Taking the letter from her, he read it quickly then turned it over and seemed to read the back even though it seemed blank to them. He handed it back to her, then told his companion to open the gates. Stepping forward himself, he reached up to take the horse's reins, intending to lead the horse and carriage inside since she had asked so nicely. The gruff male shouted something up the wall, and inside a minute, there was a rumbling groan as chains and wheels began to turn, compelling the massive gates to open, allowing all a peek at the resplendent grounds inside.

There were people there, too - curious guards waiting to secure the grounds, stable boys rushing in once they'd been notified that there was a horse and carriage to care for. All the people here were friendly, curious, and mindful of the children. They did not have a lot of children here, at least visitors. Those that did live here were children of the staff, and thus were commonplace. This was unique, and gained the attention of many, even as Dante and Niven stood in the snow, facing Quil. Someone ran to the main house to let them know that they had guests.

Speaking of the big house - weighed down as she was by the deliciously warm pot pie she had in her claws, no doubt Yrael's flight was an amusing one as she just missed the top of the disgruntled butler's head. Just then, an outraged cook appeared at the door with a rolling pin. The good part was, she had food. The bad part was, she was being chased. A quick trip back to the window she'd used, perhaps. Or... here was an opportunity! A boy came rushing through the great front doors, calling for the head butler. He stopped, blinking in surprise as he saw the... um, interesting sight of Yrael and her pie sailing toward him with a couple of angry people in tow. "... Maybe I'll come back later?" The door was open behind him, just enough to admit one thieving alicat.