Go Back   Aelyria > The Archives > Aelyria Archive > Carmelyn > Jaedaxia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 7, 2009, 04:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Eternal

Wealth Tier: Steel
Dante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious Superhero

Being born is like being kidnapped. And then sold into slavery. [Niven Please]

TS: 41st of (the second) Immanis Era XVI Post fractum...

Dante was back in Jaedaxia, the gift of the Empire, even though technically it was a kingdom now. This city in some ways had grown less and less hospitable to the dracon, although considering the fact that they disliked royals generally, they were primarily Borthenists or Caremelyn worshipers and weren't fond of Dianites, and they abhorred dracons it made a lot of sense. Dante was so used to being looked down on that when it occurred he hardly noticed it anymore and his business had paid the price because of it.

For whatever reason, and there were apparently many in spite of all the good he had tried to do, people felt that his business needed to be ransacked and trashed. He was fully expecting it to be the same this time. With a stern set to his jaw he headed toward his warehouse on the docks to check on things. He kept his eyes and ears open for any sign of hostility as apparently a Jaedaxian based group of cut throats named 'the thorns' were at least partially responsible for his current hardships in the city.

By some miracle the place hadn't burned to the ground. There was the regular anti dracon graffiti, but nothing else. He met the men happily and they responded in kind. With a nod and a smile he set about the days work and was assisting in the loading of the Suvia and the Francine for that brightenings fishing excursions...

Last edited by Dante Asunder; December 8, 2009 at 03:20 PM.
Dante Asunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2009, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Niven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious Superhero

oocI PMed Jirael with the link to the thread. Give him a couple of days or so to reply and if he doesn't, than we'll continue without him

As Niven's slender form weaved it's way through the busy streets of Jaedexia, she wrapped her warm wool cloak around her in attempt to keep the draft out. It always seemed so much colder when you were in a city on the water. The people bustled by her, their intent to get where they needed to go and get warm obvious on their faces. Niven could hardly believe it was winter again. The year had gone so fast...

She had been so lost in thought that Niven bumped into another pedestrian. Her hood fell off her head, exposing her blond hair and the cold air immediately nipped at her pointy ears. "I'm so sorry," She apologized to the man. He gave her a brief smile and continued on his way. Niven watched him walk away for a moment before covering her head again and continuing on her way to the docks.

Niven knew she was not expected at her destination. For that matter, she wasn't even sure if her friend would even be there. It was a long shot, she knew, for Dante had many ports for his fishing business and there was no guarantee he would be at this one. For all she knew, he might not even still be alive. The last time she'd seen him was roughly this time, last year, right before their disastrous attempt to capture the traitor Eyvind Redbeard.

Only having to ask for directions once, Niven found herself on the docks looking at a warehouse that was covered in some very obscene anti-dracon graffiti. 'Lovely,' Niven thought wryly to herself as she looked at the rude illustrations and words. 'He clearly has few friends left here.' Noting a group busy workers around some ships, Niven walked up to them and stopped one. "Serale. I am Niven, a friend of Dante's. Would you be able to tell me if he is here?"

CIR | SoF

Thread Count: 12 + 5
Niven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2009, 06:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Adventurer

Jirael'eri tel'noss Luschae is an upstanding Citizen
Travel had become something new for the small child, since meeting the large Dracon... So many things had happened between the time they had found them selves leaving to search out Eyvind Redbeard and now...

There were many questions that the boy felt needed to be answered, some of them were, some of them still needed to be sought out. Jirael could feel something familiar here, though he still didnt know what was waiting for him on the busy streets...

Those who knew him could tell... a change had occurred in the boy, the movements that he made, the confidence hidden in each movement that he made, the wisdom that his gaze held... still though he was very much a young child.

oocSorry if its a little meh, trying to figure out a good way to get back into the swing of things :)

Last edited by Jirael'eri tel'noss Luschae; December 12, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
Jirael'eri tel'noss Luschae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2009, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Eternal

Dante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious Superhero

The sailor's all looked at each other with concern on their faces. If Niven had the presence of mind to notice she would see that all the men were armed with knives at their belt on the small of their backs. The closest sailor checked the faces of the other men, a few of them gave him a nod causing him to turn back to Niven, "Zi Monsieur Asunder iz in zee office."

They all eyed Niven like they were expecting her to sprout horns and fangs and try to devour them. That was when Niven and Jirael felt a presence behind them, "Relax gentlemen. These two are who they say."

The dracon's hopefully familiar voice rung behind them, "Niven, Jirael, please come into the warehouse." The normally friendly tone in his voice was missing. It sounded cold, even angry. If the two turned around they would see Dante standing by the warehouse's open double doors. He was looking up and around checking windows and rooftops. Where the men had daggers hidden at their belts, Dante was fully armed. He had a short sword with a bejeweled hilt at his waist outside his priestly robes as well as two elven longknives at the front with who knew how many more concealed upon himself. He had his auto-crossbow out and was looking like he meant to use it.

Old December 14, 2009, 05:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Niven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious Superhero

The joy that flowed through Niven's body when she felt the presence and heard the voice of her friend left the second he spoke again. Her usually pale, porcelain skin flushed a rosy pink. She felt like she was 20 eras again and was just caught by her aunt nicking her kitchen knives so that she and her cousins could practice knife throwing.

Ducking her head only for a moment, Niven quickly regained her composure and she stepped slightly in front of Jirael as if to protect him from any wrath that their friend may dole out for their apparent transgression, her head lifted in firm defiance. She was confused as to why they were in this quandary, but she'd be damned if she was going to take it in any other way than like a man. Aware of her dagger on her hip, Niven knew it would be foolish to use it against the same being who'd taught her how to use it. And having left her bow back at the inn, she was virtually unarmed.

Giving Dante a curt nod, Niven walked past him into the warehouse, expecting Jirael to follow. Once inside she turned so that she was looking at him and folded her arms. Her usually soft features were contorted into a hard look, her full pink lips in a line, and her normally warm emerald eyes as cold as Dante's tone. She waited for what would happen next.

CIR | SoF

Last edited by Niven; December 14, 2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old December 14, 2009, 08:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Adventurer

As the men around them began to eye the pair, Jirael moved closer towards Niven, grabbing a hold of her wool cloak; hiding his face from the stares they gave off… His gestures were a reflection of the young boy that Dante had found in the wilderness…

The presence behind them, following the familiar voice of the Dracon was enough to get the boy to peek his head back up, his eyes filled partially with fright as well as curiosity as if the voice really belonged to the memories that it conjured up… there was a slight air of disbelief…

The way that Niven moved, in her body, the language that it spoke was enough for Jirael to pick up on… there was a slight thickening in the air, as if conflict might break out, though even so, there was also a sense of confusion to the whole situation as well…

The boy followed behind as Niven walked into the warehouse, holding firmly to her cloak… He was unsure as to what had happened between the two since last they were all together… Giving a strange look to his side, almost a inquisitive glance, he stared for a moment at nothing, before turning his attention to Dante.

The boy’s gaze was neither cold, nor warm… It was filled with caution, He felt that he knew Dante well, though as the environment around them could attest, things had certainly begun to change…
Old December 14, 2009, 10:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Eternal

Once the pair was inside the warehouse, Dante nodded to his men as he closed the double doors behind himself, leaving the three in isolation. With a sigh and visible relaxation Dante turned to face his long time friends. The warmth had returned to his eyes and his voice, "I'm so glad you two are alright!"

The dracon's voice was kept low and he was still somewhat standoffish in his posture, but their was definite friendliness in his tone, "I have been so worried!" The look in his eyes suggested he had left something unsaid, but only he and the gods knew what.

"Where have you two been? I thought you would have returned to Demios, then Diana with Kala and Meeko. What have you been up to? Have you been together this whole time?" The words came out in a gushing flow of words as if he was trying to absorb as much information about them as possible in the shortest amount of time. After the questions hit the air he waited patiently for answers even though his gaze continued to go to the windows of his establishment even though they were on the second floor.

Old December 19, 2009, 12:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Her green eyes narrowing in distrust of this sudden change in demenor, Niven relaxed only slightly. The greeting they received was far from what she'd expected and it was going to take her a moment to calm down. Inwardly talking herself down, Niven regained self control and adopted a more relaxed posture. Dante had been worried, and in truth, she had been worried about him. As he spoke, Niven could sense there was much he wasn't saying aloud and she wondered if the location was the reason, as his eyes seemed to keep darting around the room from window to window.

"We all made it to Demios but we separated. From what I gathered from Kala, you were somewhere else entirely with Carnasch in trouble and we had no idea when we were going to see any of you again. If she had plans to meet up with you, she didn't share the information, so we separated. She and Meeko went to Diana, I guess, and Jirael and I made our own way. Somewhere along the way, we got separated and we've only met up again in the last fortnight or so." Niven paused, allowing for Jirael to account for his whereabouts if he so wished.

"What I'd like to know is what happened to you! We got on the boat and left as per your orders, but Kala gave us very little information." Niven continued. "Something obviously went terribly wrong. What happened? Is Carnasch alright?" Niven asked, concern mixed with intense curiosity. She'd wondered all this past year what had all played out in their unsuccessful attempt to catch the traitor to the Empire.

CIR | SoF

Old December 21, 2009, 07:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Adventurer

Watching, as Niven adjusted her demeanor slightly, he listened as they spoke and when Niven paused, giving him a cue to speak up he piped in, his voice still as soft as it had been before... It took him a moment to find the words that he wanted to use, It was difficult really to say what it was that he was doing, at least, for men like Dante... "I was pointed towards some things that might help me figure what I am here for"...

It was a vague statement, and his body shifted a little uneasily as he spoke it, slow and steady as his speech had always been, but this time there was clearly more though to how to say what he was speaking...

"Most of this time though..." he added, "has been spent traveling." He gave a pointed look towards Niven as he continued "We met up recently again..."

He was curious as to what had happen since they all parted, Clearly things had not gone well for the Dracon in his absents.
Old December 21, 2009, 11:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Eternal

Dante nodded, "I see. You have been traveling?" Dante felt like the pair were evading his questions, but he felt enough trust for them to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. If the wanted to share what they had been doing with detail then they would. It was as simple as that.

Jirael's answer was a little more cryptic. "Why you are here?" Dante thought to himself. He hoped he would have time to speak to the boy privately about his cryptic answer. It was one that he had a strange feeling about.

"Alright I suppose I should expound on what happened to me. First let us go upstairs, the office has chairs to sit on." Dante headed upstairs, leading the way and holding the door open for the other two if they chose to follow. He didn't like keeping things from his friends or scaring or worrying them, but given the nature of his current standing in the city, closeness to him could be dangerous.

Once the other two were in his office he took a seat at his desk. "Well as to what happened in Taralon after we split up. I along with Carnasch and one other managed to convince some of the rebel guardsmen that we were interested in joining up with their troops."

He paused to give them a sincere look, "The guardsmen took us to Eyvind, or who we believed to be Eyvind. That was when all Aeternia broke loose."

A look of fear washed over his face. Dante had been in several dangerous situations, life altering, life ending even, times when he was afraid he would die, but the time they faced Eyvind he had been paralyzed by some arcana and he had been completely at the mercy of someone else. That wasn't one of the traits the being calling itself Eyvind possessed however.

"I'm not sure why, I think Carnasch went into clara, but suddenly 'Eyvind' attacked." Dante shuddered at the memory. His face showed pain, perhaps real, perhaps imagined, perhaps invented for all the two onlookers knew.

"The spells cast at him only made him stronger. I incapacitated the guardsman that was there and secured the doors cutting off backup while Carnasch and the other engaged Eyvind directly. That's when I sent the message to Kala to get you all out of Taralon. Our cover was blown and I didn't want any of you being attacked. It does my heart good to know she succeeded." He scratched his chin again as he had a quick moment of wonder regarding what they had been doing.

Dante swallowed nervously, "Eyvind then used his arcana to paralyze me. While in my vulnerable state he revealed his true nature to me. The man known as Redbeard I can only assume was long dead. Whatever leads the rebellion that calls itself Redbeard held a sword to my throat and tried to force the others to call off their... attacks. The next thing I knew I was teleported to Prime."

He looked at them for a long moment. Wondering if they could follow his story, he tried to give them a reassuring smile.

Old January 1, 2010, 11:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

oocSorry this took so long! Holidays and Anniversary kept me pretty busy

As the Dracon invited the pair into his office, Niven kept her demeanor the same, though it would be obvious to anyone who was familier with her that her hostile attitude had relaxed some and it was now just a front she was putting up. Dante was clearly on his guard as if someone was listening to their every word and she followed his lead. Once inside she sat in one of the chairs in front of a large desk.

The fear shown on Dante's face as he spoke told more than his words to Niven. Things had gone wrong, but she'd have never been able to guess that it had gone this bad. She hadn't known Dante as intimately as Jirael or Carnasch, but she knew him well enough to know that he was not easily intimidated. As he spoke the tension left Niven's small frame and she was filled with compassion. "How in the empire did you get teleported to Prime? Especially if you were paralyzed? Did Carnasch to that?". There seemed to be something missing from the story, something he was holding back. "What happened once you got to Prime? Was Carnasch able to heal you? Was he hurt? Did you escape, or did the "being" follow you?" The questions flowed quickly from the elfess's lips. She wanted to know every detail and was concerned for her friend's safety.

CIR | SoF

Old January 2, 2010, 10:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Adventurer

ooc lost my origional post, doh

The boy stood next to Niven as the two talked. The exact details of what happened to them both were interesting to him, having not actually been involved once the fighting began, though he knew some of what he was talking about, having seen the double in his visions... Though he wasn't sure as to if it would be wise to bring it up... he was not yet sure if either would be ready to learn about the things that happened to the boy while he was in taralon...

But things had changed, and he could tell just by the surroundings, and it was that more that seemed to interest him. He wondered though which was the thing that changed, this city, or Dante himself... clearly one of them was different, as could be told by looking at the current establishment.

To Dante's remark about his short little story he smiled, nodding slightly, adding "But there are a few more places that I know I have to travel to in my searches" there was a vuageness in his speech, again, he didn't know yet about what to say reguarding it, He gave a glance around the room, hiding the target of his true gaze in the sweep, his eyes locking only for an extra moment behind him, before moving on.... though what exactly he was looking for behind him was any one's guess...

For now, he waited patiently, letting Niven and Dante finish their conversation, letting that feel the two out, for how things had changed in their absence from eachother.
Old January 4, 2010, 06:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Eternal

The dracon's eyes narrowed at the young boy for a brief flash of a second, "What are you searching for, Jirael?" The boy was being strangely vague about everything and it was making Dante uncomfortable. The boys original appearance had been mysterious, his reappearance was proving no less so.

Dante looked at Niven, long and hard. Did he trust her enough to reveal his association with Straylor? Was it even a question of trust? He was sworn to secrecy regarding certain aspects of the mission and didn't know much he should reveal. Could he betray one person's trust to show trust in another?

"It was sorcery. It turns out that the one who met me in Taralon had a few imbuements, ready to get us out of there if things went south. It was lucky he did. I was counting on Kala teleporting us if needs be, but it proved unnecessary," He looked down for a moment.

"Eventually I recovered from the paralysis and healed myself. Carnasch, in a fit of rage, turned himself into a tree after he destroyed some furnishings. A little while later my associate and Carnasch's bear appeared. I hadn't even been aware Carnasch owned a bear. Anyway after some bizarre reactions to healing magic cast upon the creature it turned tiny as a kitten, but ravenous as a Kodiak. If Carnasch still has the creature I'm sure he has spent a fortune feeding it, and no the creature didn't follow us."

"Carnasch was fine physically although mentally he was... well... Carnasch. After that we went our separate ways for a while. In point of fact I haven't heard from him since. Have you?" Dante tilted his head to the side, curious as to what her response would be.

Old January 7, 2010, 10:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Jirael was being very mysterious with his answers to Dante, and it made Niven give him a questioning look. She'd understood that they had been very close before, Dante being like a parent to the boy and for Jirael not to be forthcoming seemed odd to her. She wondered why he was hiding his story from his mentor. Or was he just being cautious in his surroundings?

'The one?' Niven thought, her eyes narrowing only for a moment at Dante, once he'd started to explain. 'He's hiding something... or someone,' she thought. Dante's hesitation to openly share was a little insulting. After all, he'd trusted her on the hunt, why not now? 'There must be a good reason,' Niven told herself and resolved to not press further about it right at this moment. The elfess glanced at the boy beside her. He seemed a little unnerved at the tension that ebbed and flowed during this visit and it would most likely be best not to stir anything else up. There would be time later, perhaps at a different location that she might inquire further about this stranger. Or maybe Dante would eventually come to trust her again, as he once did and would tell her...

The news of Carnasch's safety relieved Niven and she smiled as Dante spoke of his temper. That was no secret. The news of Hrawk was a little more of an humorous surprise. She'd only met Carnasch's animal once and had been leery of it from the beginning. "The size of a kitten? That must have really made him happy," Niven said, leaning back in her chair, folding her arms, an amused smile playing on her lips. She straightened in her chair at the question of Carnasch's whereabouts.
"You mean that you don't know where he is? How is that possible? I haven't heard anything from him. Jirael?" Niven asked, looking at the boy. She turned back to Dante, "And what of Kala? Surely she found you again."

CIR | SoF

Last edited by Niven; May 17, 2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old January 9, 2010, 04:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Adventurer

Jirael took a moment to look at Dante before responding to his question, though to be honest, he wasn't quite sure of what he was looking for... He did notice that Dante's appearance had changed since the last time they met. “What happened to your hands?” he asked, noticing the markings, though he wasn't sure exactly what they were... He wasn't trying to evade the question, and taking a moment, he gave a short answer... “I've been looking for more information about my family.” For now, he seemed to leave it at that.

He listened to Dante as he recounted the things that happened at Taralon, and he was a little relieved that things did not play out quite how he had seen them, though he knew that the vision was twisted to reflect upon himself, which thinking about it made him realize that had been a first... causing him to make a strange face, squinting his eyes in thought.

Jirael turned his attention back towards Niven, looking up at her in regards to her question about Carnasch. Giving her a little bit of a puppy dog face he answered with a shake of his head, “No, I don't believe he really liked me...” while he wasn't sure of that, he knew that the strange human had kept quite a distance from the boy.