Go Back   Aelyria > The Archives > Aelyria Archive > Carmelyn > Jaedaxia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2006, 02:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Former Staff

Heartbreaker is a glorious SuperheroHeartbreaker is a glorious SuperheroHeartbreaker is a glorious SuperheroHeartbreaker is a glorious SuperheroHeartbreaker is a glorious SuperheroHeartbreaker is a glorious Superhero

Le Socrates de Ambergois Institut pour la Recherche (Research Institute-Revised)

On the north end of the campus of Le Socrates de Ambergois University was Le Socrates de Ambergois Institut pour la Recherche, the Carmelyn province’s premier establishment of research. Between it and the collegio was a barren lawn, frosted over with a thin layer of ice surrounding a single narrow, flagstone pathway that wound its way up to the front gate of the massive structure. Meeting the path at its end were a arced, rectangular double doors made of solid oak, studded with rusting iron bolts, and polished to a shine in the flat light of the day. Twin brass knockers adorned each door at chest height for a normal Baijani human, one in the shape of a fae holding a baroque handle, the other a gnome holding a similar handle. A sturdy slam with either would cause a shower of snow to fall upon whoever stood before it. Looking up the front wall of the building the stone wall loomed up six stories, the tower at the front and center of the structure, opposite another tower across the lower roof of the two story wings and quarters of the research institute. Battlements lined the edge of every roof, each topped with fresh and untouched snow. Glass windows dotted the walls at sporadic positions, scattered almost Neanderthal-ically about the flat wall, although in truth arranged strategically to allow maximum –or minimum- light into their corresponding rooms. Jutting out in various places were rectangular balconies, their ornately carved parapets glistening with snow and frost.

As one passed through the double doors that opened without resistance one would lay eyes upon the entrance hall of Le Socrates de Ambergois Institut pour la Recherche. It was in the shape of a narrow but tall rectangle, its base measuring only fifteen feet across from the door to the opposite wall and fifty feet long, while its ceiling was shared with the that of the top floor of the tower, a crystal stained glass rectangle. Polished and finely crafted mahogany rails went along the perimeter of the rectangle on three sides where it was cut out of the floors above. Occasionally someone would peek over the rail and glanced down at the occupants of the entrance hall.

Most of the floor of the hall was of gray flagstones, except for a red and yellow carpeted area around the thick oak desk tucked away in an unobtrusive corner, where there sat a chipper young gentleman directing people this way and that throughout the building. Colored light that flowed through the stained glass above shone down upon the desk, dying the yellowed parchments on it with light to create multi-colored mosaics of sun rays. The clerk appeared eager to help any that approached him.

Amidst rich hangings, banners, and flags that adorned the walls of the hall all throughout the research institute was a sign, directly across from the door. It seemed to be a directory, with a messily scrawled map beneath it. The sign indicated that the ‘Medicine Wing’ was through the door on the left, the ‘Technology Wing’ was through the door to the left, the ‘Alchemy and Chemistry Tower’ was in the back tower, which could only be accessed by going through either of the aforementioned wings. Then it went on to direct people to the ‘Science Wing’ which composed all of the back half of the building except for the tower, the ‘Administrative Offices’ in the tower one was already in, accessed by the staircase that indented the wall ten feet from the sign. All remaining corridors and wings were used as storage rooms or left vacant for the time being.

The office of the Dean was hardly easily found, hidden somewhat away at the back of the Research Institute. It was down a series of corridors, with a wooden door at the end which opened into a large office. A tall Jaedaxienne beauty sitting behind a desk which seemed to guard a door led further in. She was Michelle Ferriault. Her job was the assistant and secretary to the Dean and as such, she was the one who greeted any visitors to the office with a cheerful, "Bonjour, can I 'elp you?" The office itself was mostly filled with bookshelves, stocked with books on a wide variety of subjects, from medicine to alchemy to astronomy to planar theory. The dean's chair was a comfortable leather one, the tall back reaching up and over the Dean's head whenever she sat down. A pair of wooden chairs, cushioned for comfort, allowed guests a place to sit.

A desk sat in the middle of the lobby with a young human male filing through paperwork. Upon approaching him, his head lifts and graced the individual or individuals with a smile.

"Welcome to the Le Socrates de Ambergois Institut pour la Recherche. May I help you with something?"

Secrets :
Non-Player Characters:

Staff:

Front Desk: (Varies) Young students and scholars man the front desk of the academy, greeting those who enter and ensuring that those seeking training are assisted through the application process. Tuition is also collected here.

Assistant/Secretary to the Dean
- Michelle Ferriault

Professors:
Director of Technology - Aleksander Vakman (NPC)

Director of Medicine - Chinatsu Makoto (NPC)

Director of Alchemy - Jean Bonchaun (NPC)

Dean & Director of Research - Paula Faire (NPC)

Moderation: Self, peer, A/GM.

Employment Available:

- clerk: 50 crowns/cycle
- janitor: 45 crowns/cycle
- Experiment Volunteer: varies (one-time payment, if you survive*)
- Teacher's Assistant: 70 crowns/cycle (required at least level 1 in the skill associated)
- Part-Time Professor: 80 crowns/cycle (required at least level 2 in the related skill)
- Resident Professor: 95 crowns/cycle + Living stipend of 50 crowns/cycle (required 'experienced' level 2 or level 3 in related skill)

Training Available:

- Herbalism (Trade, Lore)
- Healing (Trade)
- Alchemy (Trade)
- Gadgeteering (Trade)

( OOC: Original Text by GM Wynd...Modifications by GM Heartbreaker and GM Crimson )

Last edited by Indefinite; June 19, 2014 at 12:13 AM.
Heartbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2007, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Citizen

Laerbn Sanctuarian is an upstanding Citizen
Timestamp: Imperos, Brightening 1, Morning, Era 1, Era XIII PF First Era of Regency of Milo L'Eveinne.

Slipping on the slick flagstone, Laerbn cursed under her breath and threw out her arms to steady herself. Glancing around to be sure no one was staring, she brushed off the snow where her knee had hit the ground and grimaced at the bruise already starting to form. Curse my clumsiness, she thought. The last thing I need as I'm trying to find a job is to appear clumsy, especially in this job.

Carefully progressing alone the path, she took the time to survey the battlements and glass windows. Definetly imposing, she thought. This place is sure to keep as many people away as it seems to trap inside. Placing her foot squarely upon the last step in front of the massive double doors, she took a moment to study the knockers on the door. Brass, as expected for a building of this large of grandeur, nevertheless enhanced the images they were crafted into.

Grasping one firmly in her hand, Laerbn was surprised to find that the door was unlocked, and that it was even open an inch. Tilting her head and peering inside, she jumped back in surprise when a face appeared right inside the door opposite her own. "Very sorry, Miss," the elderly robed gentleman said. "Here, let me help you up," he offered, and grasping one of Laerbn's arms, pulled her out of the snow she had fallen in.

Using her hands to brush off the snow crushed to her back from the fall, she shivered as some, unsurprisingly, managed to find it's way down the back of her tunic. The gentleman raised his arm to help brush off the snow, perhaps in a pure gesture of goodwill, but stopped after Laerbn froze. Taking a slight step back, she nodded to him, and stepped through the door. "Sorry again, Miss," the man called.

Brushing the hair back from her eyes, she took in the interiour of the building. Cold hard stone, everywhere, from the floor to the walls. Excepting one sole corner, laid with plush carpet, occupied by a large oak desk, which was in turn occupied by a friendly looking clerk. Making her way over to the clerk, Laerbn was painfully aware of the lack of cover. Open to scrutiny from anyone above her that chose to lean on the railing, her hand found itself brushing back hair behind her ears more than once, as well as stooping to rub her knee where it had hit the flagstone outside.

"How can I help you?" the man behind the desk said. Dressed in typical clerk gear, wearing a smile as the job required, she nevertheless found herself glad to be around someone who's motives were clear. "Yes, I'd like to apply for a position within the Institution" she said, rubbing her hands up and down her arms to attempt to warm them up. "Just step over there to that desk and that man will help you through the rest of the process," the man said, pointing to a desk located in the middle of the lobby. Nodding her head, she stepped away and began traversing the lobby.

Why must it be located in the middle of the lobby. It's so open, Laerbn thought, glancing up to see if anyone watched from the railings. She froze as her eyes caught someone else's, someone casually leaning against the railing, surveying the lobby. The man tilted his head, perhaps in wonderment that someone was staring back, and when he made no move to break eye contact, Laerbn turned away and continued walking to the desk, if perhaps a bit more briskly. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all, she thought, her hand reaching up to her ear.

Stepping behind the two other people waiting in line to talk to whoever was behind the desk, she listened to their whispers and the slight rustle of paper. Comforting noises, if only because they reminded her so much of her time spent with her parents. Shifting from foot to foot, she waited as the line slowly progressed, until the man and woman in front of her had both completed her business. Taking the final step towards a new life, at least for her, it wouldn't have been normal if she hadn't slipped.

Thrusting one arm in front of herself, she nevertheless caught herself on the edge of the desk, so perhaps it wasn't a total disaster.

OOC: Laerbn, I went ahead and edited the last part of your post so I could reply. =-)

Last edited by Heartbreaker; May 6, 2007 at 06:39 PM.
Laerbn Sanctuarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Former Staff

Heartbreaker is a glorious SuperheroHeartbreaker is a glorious SuperheroHeartbreaker is a glorious SuperheroHeartbreaker is a glorious SuperheroHeartbreaker is a glorious SuperheroHeartbreaker is a glorious Superhero

The clerk behind the desk leaned forward as the woman caught herself, hoping to assist in anyway he could.

"Are you alright, mademoiselle? Can I assist you? Perhaps some water or tea?"

Eager to help he was, but then again, after waiting for a response regarding her health, he rushed forward to the next set of inquiries.

"Welcome to Le Socrates de Ambergois Institut pour la Recherche! Ze finest research institute in ze Empire. Iím sure you didnít come to listen to me prattle all brightening long. How may we be of assistance to you?"
Old April 10, 2008, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Notable

Treant is a benevolent Adventurer
Late Juncitor, in the Season of Autumn, Era II of the Celestine Mandate, Era XIV Post Fractum.

Treant climbed the stairs to reach the ornate building he was in awe of the time put into the buildings decor. "wow des guys must be good."he though. The gnome wanted to make this city his home and it had a lot to offer him, as a thief and a gnome.

Treant was speechless walking through the doors into the hall. There was nothing to say nothing at all. Actions spoke louder then words and the actions of those past were remarkable.

Treant walked up to the desk just looking around somewhat ignoring the elf at the desk. "Ah yes serle ma'daam"the gnome said trying to put on his best jaedaxian accent. "I want to start studing gageteering and I see that dis building is la creme de la creme in studies of da technological area. I have heard that yer might have a book I can use to study and tools to start my studies.....it is called the Mechanical Lore." treant said talking with his hands

"I wish to use your workrooms to experiement and learn. Perhaps you would be able to allow me to use the facilities and perhaps a tool kit to allow me to further the education in this fine insitution. I would be willing to give back my first invention to the school?" treant said hoping he would be allowed to use the facilities.

OOC: I would like to set this up as a self mod thread since Gadgeteerings first 2 levels are all self taught anyway. If you permitt would you set me a thread up with a stamp of approval to begin this?

C.I.R. [PWN!]
S.o.F.

Last edited by Treant; April 11, 2008 at 09:26 AM.
Treant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2008, 12:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Former Staff

OOC: Self mod approved...will post mod plan to appropriate area tomorrow. Please use npc to oversee your research and I will follow the thread. =-)

Good Luck!
Old May 10, 2008, 08:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Citizen

Alexander Massing is a benevolent Adventurer
During the Tenth Candlemark of Solaria,
First Brightening of the First Cycle of Kalendryas,
In the Season of Winter,
Era I of the Celestine Mandate, Era XV Post Fractum

Alexander was silently cursing himself, even as he had tried to follow the kind woman's instructions precisely he still managed to get lost several times on the way over and took nearly a Candlemark and half longer than he'd planned for, as he reached the entrance to the Socrates de Ambergois Institut pour la Reserche. He took a moment to marvel at the structure and its external architecture, before a cold breeze quickly reminded him what was more important and sent him hurrying inside.

Once through the doors, he took another moment to marvel at the internal architecture, the decorativeness of it mixed with the simple usefullness of it, and detail, everywhere he looked there was detail and care in anything he could see. One thing of note caught his eyes quite readily, the noticeboard, specifically the posting about research staff. And as he finally noticed the young man at the table, he dusted a bit of snow off of his shoulders and approached as steadily as he could, cutting directly to the point of his presence as soon as he felt he had come near enough to the table, not a hard feat considering that there wasn't much of a distance to cover, and asked, "That posting on the noticeboard, the one about research staff, to whom do I speak about applying for a job?"
Alexander Massing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 10:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hoarder of Treasure

Crimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious Superhero

The young, round faced Jaedaxian smiled as Alexander Massing approached him. He was dressed in proper attire, one that hinted at his education and possible rank in the Institute. Upon Alexander's query, however, he simply nodded and said, "well, you can apply right here actually." With that, he flipped through a few drawers behind the counter before finally surfacing with a fairly long piece of parchment with a large heading indicating that it was indeed the application. "There are some inkpots and quills over there", he indicated to a row of tables and chairs behind the counter. "Just let me know when you're done", he smiled.

The application was in Jaedaxienne with small Charismean and Common subtitles under each field. It read:
Quote:
Nom (Full Name):

Birth Brightening:

Current Address:

Family History:

Criminal History:

Known Illnesses:

Education:

Additional skills:

Have you had any experience with the following (Oui / Non):

Poisonous Plants:
Large, aggressive animals:
Poisonous, large, aggressive plants and / or animals:
Alchemy:
Chemistry:
Anatomy:
Physiology:
Astrology:
Archealogy:
Crypticology:
History:
Ancient History:

Others Not Listed:

OFFICIAL BUSINESS ONLY:

Fin.
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 05:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Citizen

"Ahh, thankyou." Alexander smiled back has he took the form and headed over to the tables which the man had pointed out, carefully, and as quitely as he could, taking a seat. Even though he had some wiriting tools in his satchel, he didn't feel like wasting them right now when materials were readily provided and so set to work filing out the application.

Quote:
Nom (Full Name): Alexander Massing

Birth Brightening: Twentieth Brightening of Aperitus

Current Address: None, only recently arrived in Jaedaxia

Family History: Father, Francis Massing, and Mother, Leona Massing, had lived in Jaedaxia prior to the revolution; are currently missing.

Criminal History: None

Known Illnesses: None

Education: Schola

Additional skills: Basic Knowledge of Alchemy

Have you had any experience with the following (Oui / Non):

Poisonous Plants: Non
Large, aggressive animals: Non
Poisonous, large, aggressive plants and / or animals: Non
Alchemy: Oui
Chemistry: Oui, through Alchemy
Anatomy: Non
Physiology: Non
Astrology: Non
Archealogy: Non
Crypticology: Non
History: Non
Ancient History: Non

Others Not Listed: None

OFFICIAL BUSINESS ONLY:

Fin.
As Alexander finally finished, he realized how weak an application it must seem. He had no prior research experience anywhere, not even personal works. He lacked much of any experience with a wide variety of topics, beyond what little Grammatica and Schola had taught of them. And on top of that, he had no idea what to make of the bottom piece of it stating 'Official Business Only.' But he also would not lie, if he was going to work here then he would probably be expected to meet the standards of what his application covered, he reasoned as he stood up and headed back to the man.

With outstretched hand, he made to hand the application to the man, but at the last minute also thought to try to make some minor case if it may make a difference and spouted off, "I realize that it isn't much of an application, especially for as reknowned a research institute as this one, but I am a quick study and it is only as an Assistant afterall." He stood patiently, hoping for some kind of response as he set the application down on the table.
Old May 13, 2008, 05:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hoarder of Treasure

Crimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious Superhero

The clerk looked up when Alexander arrived and recieved the application. "Not to worry", he said brightly, "the Researchers here are in need of assistants more than they like to admit." He chuckled before hurriedly sprinkled some sand on Alex's application to let the ink dry faster. "But ... you don't have a current address? How do we reach you, monsieur?" At this, the clerk sounded a tad worried. They sent out letters after all, confirming the application process and those letters usually came with an acceptance or rejection notice.

Secrets :
OoC: just get a room at the inn or something. Either that, or you can volunteer to return and recieve the letter by hand

Old May 13, 2008, 06:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Citizen

"Ahh... well..." Alexander began, trying run through even the most passing rumor or muddled words he could recall from the few people he'd run into when he had managed to get himself lost on the way here, though the only thing which came to mind was La Petite Couronne. He had remembered an older gentleman suggesting that he stay there if his time in Jaedaxia was going to be long, but not long enough to actually purchase a home... something about it being less expensive than the other inns in the city. But pushing those thoughts aside for a moment, he continued, "Well, finding myself some measure of employment has been my goal thus far, even as I only arrived earlier, a mere Candlemark or so before dawn... I really don't know much of the city yet, though I had heard mention of an inn called La Petite Couronne which I may be able to obtain a room in, otherwise I will return here promptly and will have to work out some other plan, if that is alright."

Alexander was almost ready to turn and leave, but a brief flaring of thoughts in his mind made him ask one last thing before doing so, "How long might I need to wait before hearing of the outcome? More than one cycle?"
Old May 13, 2008, 09:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hoarder of Treasure

"Oh, not long", the clerk said assuringly, "maybe two brightenings, three at most." He smiled. "Well, if you can come and pick it up, all the better non?" Chuckling slightly, the round-faced man flicked the remaining dust from the now-dried application before sliding it easily into a nearby drawer. "I'll see you then, hmm? I'm sure that one of the researchers will take you on as an aid. Or, at least, an intern of sorts. I saw that you have experience in alchemy? Fancy stuff, that. Almost magic, my friends say." Shrugging, the clerk chuckled again before he made himself available for any more of Alex's queries. If the transaction was indeed done, Alex need only to return three brightening later to recieve his application's result.

Three brightenings later, should Alexander return, the same clerk would be waiting for him behind the counter of the Institute main structure. "Oh, bonjour", he said cheerily, "just recieved your letter too! From the alchemy section none the less! Here!" Taking a few moments to dig along a pile of letters beside him, the clerk finally emerged with a brown, sealed envelop with Alexander's full name written in bold script.

It read:
Quote:
Alexander Massing,

In regards to your most recent application for Le Socrates de Ambergois Institut pour la Recherche we are pleased to announce that you have been accepted by Monsieur Crousse de Frost as an assistant and prospective intern.

Your orientation will begin one cycle from the date above. Please dress professionally when reporting to your duties here in the Institute at all times.

Additionally, your wages start at 40 crowns per cycle. After one month or fifty brightenings, your supervisor will either offer you a more permanent role here with us at the Institute or give you a two cycle notice.

If you have any questions, please address your letters or concerns to our Head Researcher ....

Sincerely,
Director of Admissions

Secrets :
OOC: I left the names out so you and AGM Pirate can figure out the NPCs together *refer to HB's post. Again, thanks for helping out bud!

Last edited by Crimson; May 20, 2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old May 15, 2008, 03:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Citizen

Well, I'm quite sure that many alchemist would balk at such a comparisson. Alexander thought to himself as he politely nodded to the man and headed out of the Institut, back into the light snowfall.

Three Brightenings later, the 4th Brightening of Kalendryas, Alexander did, in fact, return promptly and early to see if anything had been decided yet. Elated at the news from the clerk he said a quick "Thankyou." with only the slightest nod of acknowledgement while he stepped a few feet away to open his letter, reading it twice, and then a third time, to ensure that he hadn't misread any part of it; he really had gotten a job with the research staff!

A river of thoughts flashed through his mind like a torrent, what to do, to say, to think, to feel, this was quite possibly one of the greatest moments of his life so far and he was at a complete loss. He wanted to celebrate... but he didn't really know anyone, just that Emilie at the bakery, that nice she-elf clerk from the Adventuring store and just one or two other people who he'd met only in passing, so any true celebration was out of the question, but he definitely had to do something. Finally, a fourth rereading had him notice the salary and made him turn back to the clerk to ask, "The posting on the notice board said something about full-time interns receiving room and board... do you know what that would entail?"

Secrets :

OOC: Thanks, hopefully he and I can make some headway on that this week, even though it seems that we're in pretty different time zones.
And no problem, like I said before, world building is one of my favorite hobbies.

Last edited by Alexander Massing; May 20, 2008 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Grrr... spelling mistake...
Old May 20, 2008, 09:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Hoarder of Treasure

"Yes, full time interns recieve free room and board", the clerk replied with a curt nod, "but that is a separate application process and you would need a sponsor, someone who would take you as their apprentice or intern." He smiled. "Don't worry though, I think that Mr. Frost would be willing to accept you ... if you don't cross him." He chuckled then shook his head, "kidding. But honestly, the Institute wouldn't mind having a few extra hands running around. Scientists are a picky sort anyhow."

"Otherwise, just ask Mr. Frost when you see him. Your appointment is on the morrow, the 5th, is that all right? He is in the Alchemy Wing." With that, the young clerk drew up a new piece of parchment and scribbed a few notes, including directions, and the time and date of Alexander's premiere meeting with Monsieur Frost. "You can't miss it. It has a distinct smell ..."
Old May 20, 2008, 09:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Citizen

"Ah, thankyou, again, sir." Alexander nodded slightly as he accepted the parchment, "And yes, that time is very much all right... though hopefully that smell isn't any worse than sulfur." With a slight smile, even though even Alexander knew that the humor would probably be lost on anyone not at least somewhat aware of Alchemy and its chemicals, he turned around as he tucked the parchment under his cloak, and into his satchel, and headed back out into the snow and cold of the Jaedaxian winter. He wasn't sure what to expect, but he knew that he would certainly come as prepared as he could, in mind and body.
Old June 20, 2008, 03:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Hoarder of Treasure

Continued here:

http://www.aelyria.com/forums/le-qua...od-please.html