Old April 30, 2015, 10:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Citizen

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Elliot Thorne is an upstanding Citizen
A Simple Morning Visit (Adyn)

Late Spring Era XXII

This spring day in Jaedaxia was as calming as many days in the bustling port town. It was early morning at the Merchant's Row of Jaedaxia, so the area was much less busy then usual. The remnants of flowers, mainly petals, laid across the city as spring came to an end. However, one could still smell the subtle fragrances that sprawled across the city so strongly before.

Elliot sat at a table outside of the bakery La Boulangerie. The tables, available to all the public, was in a perfect position to smell the sweet fragrance of recently baked bread, and the shop itself was already open.

Silently, Elliot read a book at the table he had chosen, but he did not look so immersed in the item, as he was more interested in the passing individuals in the crowd. His eyes occasionally darted around the area to observe each person, as if he was waiting for somebody. Elliot waited patiently, confident that the person he called for would arrive soon enough.

Last edited by Elliot Thorne; May 1, 2015 at 01:14 AM.
Elliot Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2015, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Wealth Tier: Steel
Adynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious Superhero

One of the most irritating things about Elliot was that he was a morning person. Although Elliot had no inkling of Adyn's more sordid career choices, such paths in his life had accommodated him to a more nocturnal schedule. To Elliot, it might have appeared that the rogue was simply lazy, staying up late into the darkening and sleeping into the afternoons.

As it was, Adyn had awoken to the rapping knock of a wench at the door, notifying him that a message had arrived on his brother's behalf. The rogue rubbed at the rough mess of hair on his head, then grumbled as he scratched at the stubble that had appeared along his jawline. He peered at the note through bleary eyes, grumbling even more when he realized who it was from.

He was still grumbling as he walked through the streets, squinting against the light of the morning suns. By the time he arrived, appearing disheveled and hungover, he had forgotten all of the choice and angry words he had wanted to share with Elliot. Instead, defeated, he seated himself down in front of his younger brother, noticing with disbelief that the younger man appeared unfazed even in the slightest.

"I hate you," He muttered groggily. Despite the apparent conviction of his words, however, Elliot would be well aware of Adyn's morning moods and that his crankiness would pass with time.

Last edited by Adynirach; April 30, 2015 at 12:18 PM.
Adynirach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2015, 02:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Citizen

As Adyn approached, Elliot greeted him politely and casually. Adyn looked as if he just walked out of the gutter, but Elliot was partially surprised he even decided to show up. Elliot put away his book in his nearby bag and smiled at Adyn, pretending not to hear his rather rude words. He knew Adyn wasn't in the best of moods presently, and it was the least he could do for meeting with him.

In truth, Adyn was starting to grow on Elliot. Even with all of Adyn's crude, unrefined, and rather shady qualities, he felt an overwhelming feeling of safety with the man. It almost felt like being with Aria again. Well, if Aria was more... brutish I suppose. Still, Adyn showed his love in a much different way, a much more entertaining way some would describe it, and Elliot was glad to be a part of his life regardless of his qualities. Besides, that's what made Adyn, Adyn in many ways.

Ellito continued to smile sweetly towards Adyn. "Thanks for coming out to help me," Elliot reached out his hand to brush Adyn's hair down from it's rough appearence, "I owe you one."
Old May 1, 2015, 10:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Adynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious Superhero

"Hey," Adyn began to bat at Elliot's hand as it invaded his personal space, roughing up his manly facade. "Paws off!"

His batting got less and less enthusiastic, though, when he realized his stomach had begun to growl at the smell of freshly baked goods wafting through the late spring air. He groaned, realizing that despite his hungover feeling, he hadn't even gotten drunk that night. Maybe all the early morning light had given him a headache.

He was about to set his head down on the table when his slow-churning brain began to realize something. He shot back up, casting Elliot a very suspicious glare.

"Wait," he said, ".... help with what, again?"
Old May 1, 2015, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Citizen

Elliot chuckled at Adyn's response to his touching. He didn't mind the swatting at all, and his reaction was quite amusing to watch. Not to mention it ended quite quickly when he heard his stomach growl so loudly. Elliot couldn't help but chuckle once more.

Realizing that he had never told Adyn why he had called him here, he grabbed his bag and fished through it's contents until he found his sketchbook and drawing utensils. He held them up for Adyn to see before setting them down on the table.

As Elliot showed him the items he brought he spoke saying, "I wanted to do a portrait of you, it'll be fun. Besides, I need the practice." After setting everything down he continued speaking, "but maybe you want something to eat before that. My treat."
Old May 1, 2015, 12:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Adyn's expression became blank as Elliot began fishing through his bag, even though his suspicion didn't want to waver. What was he up to, anyway? Adyn had learned about Elliot's fascination with history and his dabbling with alchemical things, so he was worried the younger man would produce some weird concoction and tell the poor rogue to drink it. Instead, he presented a book and some writing tools. How in Telath was Adyn going to help with his boring studies?

Then Elliot mentioned drawing. Oh. "A portrait." Adyn said flatly. "You know I can't stand still for more than a few minutes. Can't you draw random passers-by or something?" Adyn couldn't help but wonder how awkward it would be to sit there while someone drew him in his disheveled state.

But ugh. He was offering him food. His stomach grumbled again. "Fine," he finally said, and without further hesitation ordered some of the chicken and leak pie with coffee. He could really do for something strongly caffeinated, and he had adopted a particular love for the bitter black, roasted substance.

"So," he said between chews, washing it down with the coffee, "what do you do that for, anyway? The drawing, I mean. Aria didn't teach you, did she?" He seemed to recall that Aria was more of a musician than a visual artist, although he had seen Lynessa paint every now and then. "Can you draw things from imagination? Or do you have to... see it first?"

The last question was one he was curious about for a particular type of his own personal work. Was it possible that Elliot could plan out traps for spellbreaking in ways Adyn couldn't? An interesting thought, although less promising in practice, given that Elliot might not be so open to the fact that Adyn was a spellbreaker. But oh well, he'd cross that bridge ... and so on.
Old May 1, 2015, 03:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Citizen

Elliot grinned when his proposition of food convinced Adyn to agree. "It only take a few minutes any who, and people come and go to quickly to draw," Elliot remarked as he started laying out his tools. Elliot ordered himself some sweet bread and rosemary tea, something simple to not distract him, but still delicious in it's own way. Elliot took a bite and a sip before beginning his rough sketch.

Elliot began by drawing the basic shape of his head. It looked as if the portrait would only contain the area above his shoulders. He drew fluidly and patiently, but the art still seemed rather rough and disproportionate. Elliot began adding details to the face, but seemed to erase the same thing over three times before being satisfied. It seemed like the work of a true amateur.

As Adyn questioned Elliot's new found hobby, it almost seemed as if he snorted at Adyn's remark of Aria drawing. "Aria couldn't draw to save her life," Elliot said in a snide manner, "but she did give me the idea. She used to say that I have the hands of an artist," Elliot rolled his eyes as the memory crossed his mind, "whatever that meant. As for why I decided to try it out, I though it would be nice to have some visual representations of my research."

Elliot continued drawing as Adyn continued the conversation. Elliot stopped drawing for a moment to collect his thoughts on Adyn's final question. "I suppose it depends," Elliot tapped his pencil against table as he spoke, "if I'm drawing something real I strive for accuracy. So it helps if I've seen the item and know a little bit about it before I draw it, that includes people. However, if I just wanted to draw something I pictured in my head, I guess that wouldn't be to hard to do. The skies the limit there. Does that make sense?" Elliot stared questionably at Adyn, unsure if he was makign any sense.

Last edited by Elliot Thorne; May 1, 2015 at 07:53 PM.
Elliot Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2015, 09:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Oh, a few minutes. That didn't seem so bad. Adyn could smell the rosemary tea as it was brought out, finding yet another way in which Elliot was similar to their sister. The fragrant teas had been some of her favorite. It was pretty odd, how through Elliot the rogue seemed to be propelled into his past more and more on a daily basis. Aria had certainly left her mark on the young man.

He snorted at Elliot's recollection of Aria's words. "Sounds like her," he remarked thoughtfully. She always did have her head in the clouds, telling people about all these features they might not have known were good things to begin with. Aria was known for having influenced people to chase dreams they didn't even know they had.

"What's the benefit of all the research, anyway? Ancient stuff... that was for people who are dead and gone. What's it matter to you now?"

Adyn sat there awkwardly, not sure whether he needed to be still or not. His eyes wandered as they traced the people moving in and out through the streets. So many of them had coin pouches dangling from their belts. You'd think they would have learned by now, but coin purses were petty pickings these days. Jewelry shops were nice, but then every now and again you came across the odd kook who tried to feed you to man-eating bugs. Maybe they didn't have those types in Jae.

"Hmm. Sure, I get it." Adyn pondered Elliot's response and figured he'd approach him at another time about drawing out blueprints. Adyn was no gadgeteer but having something to take to one wouldn't hurt. It was worth consideration for another time.

Last edited by Adynirach; May 1, 2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old May 1, 2015, 11:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Citizen

Elliot continued his drawing after his explanation was concluded. Adyn seemed to turn his attention towards the crowd. Elliot was unsure of what Adyn could possibly be thinking of. So much had happened over the years, anything and everything could have happened in that short amount of time. Elliot was sure Adyn could tell some tales of his more sordid career, but perhaps bringing that up would be less polite then he would like to be. Instead Elliot simply contemplated on his question of his career path.

"Well, I guess the reasoning for all this research in the past can be miles different for each person. I remember an old teacher I had years ago at about eleven ordinations telling me, " Elliot suddenly mocked the voice of a much more elderly man saying, "the past is a mere reflection of the future. Humans are doomed to repeat the same mistakes over and over, but those that understand such things can use it to their advantage." Elliot swatted his hand to the side as if knocking the idea aside. "Gibberish."

"An era later I had a different teacher who explained it in a different manner," Elliot again adopted the voice of an elderly man, but this voice seemed much happier then the last saying, "we can learn so much from the mistakes of the past, and if we take the time to gain such knowledge, then we can avoid making those mistakes once again." Elliot smiled as he trailed off from the quote, obviously holding this remark much higher then the last.

Elliot chuckled to himself before speaking again. "I even had one professor say to me," Elliot once more adopted another voice but this one seemed much younger then the last two, instead seeming much more paranoid saying, "the people of the past were as crazy as some of the people we have walking around these days. Who knows when one of their creations will come out of the ground to murder us! But with enough research, we can destroy the past before it destroys us." Elliot laughed as he trailed off from his remark, obviously finding it more comical then anything.

"To me though, it's different." Elliot's voice became much more serious now, as if he was speaking of his own personal morals. "I couldn't imagine just being forgotten. To so much good and then be swept away by time to become dust." Elliot looked up to Adyn with a rather sad look in his eyes. "That ancient stuff that was left by those who are dead and gone... that's their legacy. All the good that was done by those people, I couldn't just simply forget that. For those ancients who really did leave something that can help our civilizations now... the best way to remember them is to use what they have left us. So it matters to me because I not only want to find something useful, but I don't want to forget those that preceded us."

Elliot grew silent and simply continued his sketch.
Old May 2, 2015, 11:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Adyn continued chewing as he listened to Elliot's impressions, actually sort of agreeing with the first one. He gave a bit of an approving nod until Elliot dismissed the notion and called it gibberish. Adyn stopped nodding and pretended to have never done so.

The second expression sounded the same to Adyn, although it seemed optimistic to think that learning from history would keep everyone from repeating things. He had seen some real idiots in his time, and nothing would have kept them from doing anything, whether they had seen the disastrous consequences first hand or not. But he kept that to himself, noting Elliot's fondness of the expression and his optimistic attitude.

"Well," he said in response to the third, "I mean, you never know. People make some weird things. I hear orcs actually had some excellent war machines before Orckon was destroyed. What do you think would happen if someone discovered that kind of thing?"

He set his fork down and grew silent as Elliot expressed his concern for being forgotten. Adyn had never considered that much before. He had simply accepted his place in the grand scheme of things, a minor fleck that would live and die and pass on through the ripples of time. Would anyone care about his legacy? He couldn't imagine why.

Still, he could understand what Elliot was talking about. He gave a shrug, but it was one of acceptance rather than dismissal, as though he was handing the argument to the younger man. "Sure, I guess."

Adyn sat in silence as Elliot continued his sketching, never being the best at conversation - especially when sober.

Eventually, though, he cracked among the silence. He was used to silence, but only when he was sitting alone. "So, uhhhh... This lady in Aelyria Prime taught me some acrobatics, and as payment she said I had to bring people to her exhibit so she could draw them and ask them personal questions or something. You should let me bring you because... I don't have anyone else to take."

Last edited by Adynirach; May 2, 2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old May 5, 2015, 08:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Citizen

Elliot didn't seem to notice Adyn's nod as he continued his drawing. He took only a few short moments to take a drink and bite from his food as the drawing began to near a more completed state. However, the more delicate touches were yet to be applied.

"I suppose your right," Elliot said in response to Adyn's argument, "but if someone was to discover a war machine like that, it wouldn't be the past that was threatening us, but the person using it. I guess that's the only reason I found it to be comical."

As the silence continued Adyn finally brought up an interesting proposal. It wasn't the kindest way he had ever been asked to an event, but for Adyn it was quite generous. However, it was also worded quite strangely. To be brought to an exhibit to be drawn and questioned. Strange indeed. It was a chance to learn nonetheless though.

Elliot shrugged in response, "sounds like fun, I guess I'll take you up on that offer."
Old May 5, 2015, 08:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Model Citizen

"Oh. Actually, that... makes sense." Adyn could see Elliot's point now. It was the wielder of the weapon, not the weapon itself. But then again, the creators of the weapon were sort of in the wrong too, weren't they? Ugh, too much deep thought. It was way too early for this.

He was relieved when Elliot accepted his offer to see Hay'aan. He had promised the woman he would bring her some people to draw and he hadn't actually produced any people yet. Now he just needed... uh... actually, he couldn't remember how many more he had agreed to bring. He supposed he could always ask when he saw her again.

"Yeah, name's Hay'aan. Gypsy lady." He shrugged. "Met her when she did this somersault over a kid eating an ice cream cone, then saved a baby in a carriage from smashing into a bakery. It was actually pretty funny."

He tried to steal a peak at what Elliot had produced so far. "Maybe she could take a look at your stuff, give you some pointers," he suggested.
Old May 6, 2015, 07:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Citizen

Elliot only looked up for a moment when Adyn described the situation in which he met Hay'aan. A slight look of disbelief on his face. It didn't seem likely that Adyn would lie about something so trivial, but he didn't how something that sounded as if it came from a children's book could have actually happened. Elliot simply continued to finish up his drawing. Whatever way he met the woman didn't matter, at least not to him, and if he was trying to cover something up it meant he shouldn't pry. However, if he was telling the truth, then Hay'aan might be more frighting then he first imagined.

"A gypsy you say," Elliot continued, "I've seen them every now and then but have never spoken to one before. What should I expect?"

Elliot held his sketchbook away from Adyn as he tried to peek at the work. It was almost complete, only a few more minor touches to it. "Sit still," Elliot quickly said in response in hopes he would direct his prying eyes elsewhere. "I would be grateful for advice but I don't know if I should present any of my work. Honestly I'm rather shy about it, I wouldn't say any of it is very good."
Old May 6, 2015, 07:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Adyn considered his last meeting with Hay'aan when Elliot asked what to expect. He appeared genuinely perplexed.

"I don't think there's anything particularly... different. I mean, not culturally or anything, besides the way she dressed. She had an accent. But otherwise... pretty standard person, I'd say."

He frowned when Elliot told him to sit still, not used to anyone telling him what to do. Still, he sat back again, trying to understand what it was like to be shy about something. Embarrassed about shoddy work, perhaps, but wasn't that different with creative stuff? Adyn had no clue; creativity was not his strong suit.

"Well isn't that why you ask for tips?" he said then, in response to Elliot's poor opinion of his own work. Whatever the case, Adyn was okay with whatever Elliot decided to do. It was his hobby after all.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Citizen

Elliot stared blankly at Adyn as he described Hay'aan. What did 'standard person' mean? What's a standard person? Was Adyn just trying to be vague, or was this just a really vague person? So many questions arose from that statement then it was probably meant to, but maybe this was really how Adyn saw people. It was perplexing. Wait... was Elliot a 'standard person'?

"Um, what does that mean?" Elliot smiled and scratched his head, trying to show a little less irritation then he was actually feeling. "I meant, you know, is she a good person. Is she kind? Rude? Should I be prepared for more danger then usual?"

Elliot finally finished the drawing. The drawing was more crude then anything. Adyn's drawn face showed work of promise for a beginner, but still had many follies. The eyes were disproportionate of each other, and the hair simply looked like drawn strings. There may have been other things wrong with the piece of art, but maybe Adyn would catch it before Elliot even saw. He laid the sketchbook on the table to Adyn to observe if he chose to, but Elliot wasn't urging him.

Elliot shrugged. "I'm just starting out, and I'm in no rush to become amazing at it. I guess the idea of showing a better artist my work just intimidates me though." Elliot never felt intimidated about any of his previous work involving research and studies, but art was too subjective for him. It wasn't something he could ever be sure of.