Go Back   Aelyria > Games > Telath > The Aelyrian Empire > Hierocracy of Vesta

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old April 19, 2018, 04:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

[Countryside] This magic is tragic, just to see me smile

They came in the night.

Uh, probably. Nobody was still entirely sure what was going on. The unfortunate issue was that there were no eyewitnesses to the incidents - those involved seemed to have simply been taken. To where, only the gods knew, but their fates were unlikely brutal and unhappy. Because of all the blood, see. Nobody lost that much blood and was happy about it.

Somebody was raiding the southern countryside of the Hierocracy. They left burning farmsteads in their wake, pillaging and looting. Patrols had been increased, and that had helped mollify the raids, but not stopped them. Every morning there seemed to be more smoke on the horizon, another farmstead sacked. Invariably, any available food seemed to have been stolen. At times, raw materials were plundered as well, alongside supplies and weapons. Livestock were occasionally led away (based on the footprints) or slaughtered and harvested on the spot. Most of the owners were never found - but there were a few grisly scenes suggesting that some had been eaten. These weren't just simple bandits.

It was aggravating. It was despicable. It needed to be stopped. More resources needed to be devoted to the issue. And, so, to add on to additional patrols in the area, an initial investigative team was cobbled together. They had a lead on the last raid that would hopefully let them figure out who or what was responsible. Either nip it in the bud or report back the findings, depending on the scale of things.

Old April 19, 2018, 06:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Notable

Isabelle Sophie is unknown and forgotten

Once again, Isabelle found herself lost. She was thinking of finding where the northern mers were staying, but she found herself in the middle of a river. She was sure northern mers did not stay in rivers. As it was her motto, if she was lost, she should ask. She turned fin to two legs, dressed up as a land walker would and began walking to the nearest town.

Her traveling took her to a group of gathered people. People means news. Isabelle hurried forward.

"Serale, what is going on around here?" Isabelle asked the person near the back of the group.
Old April 19, 2018, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Steel
Links Kha'Serith is a glorious SuperheroLinks Kha'Serith is a glorious SuperheroLinks Kha'Serith is a glorious SuperheroLinks Kha'Serith is a glorious SuperheroLinks Kha'Serith is a glorious SuperheroLinks Kha'Serith is a glorious Superhero

The Knights of Libertas had heard about the raids. While technically it wasn't up to them to deal with it, since it was another city and another province, they could see the dire results such raids were having. The details in the carnage reports were sickening. They would rather not have such types of raids occurring across Northumbria. They sent someone to help investigate.

Hence, Links Kha'Serith was there. He looked over the carnage and aftermath of the most recent (known) raid. Things did not look good. This was not the work of normal bandits. This was the work of some lower criminal, of monsters.

Who were these monsters? The dracon snarled and steeled his nose against the rising stench. There was only one way to find out. Get down in the dirt and start digging.

Old April 30, 2018, 01:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

Isabelle

Isabelle approached and asked her question, and the situation was more or less explained to her. There had been strange raids in the southern countryside, and an investigative team was being assembled to look into it. If they could figure out what the cause was and get rid of it? That was good. If it looked like it was something too big for them to handle? Then getting out and reporting what the problem was would be the priority.

It looked like a lot of the people here were part of the Church of Faith. That made sense, since they were headquartered in the province. They didn't seem to have any problems with mer, and she was free to join, so long as she put on a bit more clothing. If she was just lost, though, they could always provide directions.

Links

Whose idea was this? Sending a members of the Knights of Libertas, based out of Northumbria, to investigate something in Vesta? A dracon, no less, into a stronghold of the Church of Faith?

Provincial forces had been tasked with the cleanup. In most other places, that would likely be local militia or provincial paramilitary groups. In Vesta, well, all of those were more or less controlled by the Church. So, as Links decided to go and investigate, he'd notice plenty of soldiers, very obviously wearing the heraldry of the Church of Faith, dragging out bodies, digging graves, and otherwise cleaning up the site.

After all, an investigation had already been conducted, and a lead had been found. A team was gathering outside of Sacrum. There wasn't any point in just leaving all this stuff here to rot. It was unhealthy.

Old April 30, 2018, 03:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Notable

More clothing. Isabelle could do that, specially when strange troubles were afoot. It might sound strange for a mer, especially one with Isabelle backgrounds to investigate strange trouble or maybe not! Although part of a criminal organisation, she was raised secluded from many things and that increased her curious it's by quite a bit.

She donned on something she believed to be more appropriate, wore a light blue cotton cloak over herself.

"I am willing the help. I am quite useful with my crossbow, learning how to use my trident and I can sort of see magic of all kinds." She reported to the person in charge.
Old April 30, 2018, 08:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mythic

Links Kha'Serith is a glorious SuperheroLinks Kha'Serith is a glorious SuperheroLinks Kha'Serith is a glorious SuperheroLinks Kha'Serith is a glorious SuperheroLinks Kha'Serith is a glorious SuperheroLinks Kha'Serith is a glorious Superhero

The dracon didn't flinch. He meet the eyes of the soldiers with his own steely glint. He understood the tensions his presence would cause. Sacrum and friends made their opinion about the Diana-saved-race very well known. However, they were in trouble experiencing these strange, horrible raids. Which would be stronger and hold sway? Their zealous bias against the scaly types? Or their desire to protect and preserve their precious little sandbox?

Links figured that the Church of Faith would look away this time for the sake of its province. They couldn't very well go about lynching dracons if their headquarters were mired in turmoil. He would be safe from their religious zeal... for now.

That wasn't to say he wasn't on edge. Outwardly, Links gave the soldiers a hard, determined, unperturbed look. Inwardly, he was almost terrified. There were a large swath of soldiers on every side. If they turned on him he would not survive. At least not easily. But the knight didn't want to push his luck.

Links made his way to Sacrum and the meeting place. The sooner this team did its job the sooner the dracon could leave.

Old May 1, 2018, 08:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Citizen

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Alekto is an upstanding Citizen
oocIf it's not too late.

Alekto was returning home to Arkdün from a season in Moonstone. He missed home, and most of all he missed his daughter. He'd planned on avoiding Sacrum despite it laying right in his path, but the late, things seemed less safe than usual. Instead, he stuck to the main roads, coming much closer to the city of the Curch of Faith. His scales tingled with tension with each soldier he passed. He even wished to transform into his old human appearance, but his promise to himself somehow remained in tact.

To his relief, he saw another Dracon. He had no idea who this Dracon was, but he ventured to guess, two was always better than one in hostile territory. At least they could watch each other's backs no matter what their business was in the area. He heard a nearby Mer get a few answers to the situation of the country side, but he wasn't sure this Dracon was here for the same reasons. Rather than involve himself voluntarily with the situation, he introduced himself to his scaled counterpart.

"Serale Dracon. I am Alekto, would you mind if I joined you as a traveling companion through this area?" He found it somewhat odd the ease in which he stood among the soldiers, but Alekto took hart in his steadiness. Even if it would take Alekto out of his way, he'd do what he could to stick by this stalwart Dracon till he was free of the damnable Church and their heretics against scales.
Old May 2, 2018, 12:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Isabelle

Isabelle was placed with a group of others who were more or less adventurers, and not officially affiliated with the Church. It seemed that they were about ready to head out, and soon enough they'd be on their way. An explanation was provided while they were walking.

In essence, the official investigation suggested that whatever was responsible was striking out from the Khardran Mountains to the south. Now, it had always been known that there were threats lurking in those mountains, which had never really been subjugated by the Empire. Greenskins abounded, and they were just the threats present on the mountains themselves - who knew what might be lurking beneath them? These raids didn't seem like typical greenskin ones, though, and based on word from the west, it was possible that this was rodenti activity.

One way or another, they'd need to look into it. They worked on gathering information from those present - had Isabelle ever interacted with rodenti at all? Was she familiar with what they were?

Links/Alekto

This was getting ridiculous. Now there were two of them!

That being said, Links found himself underestimating the Church. At the very least, they didn't shoot him on sight, but now that Alekto had come as well, a squad of five approached them.

"You are not welcome here," was all the squad leader had to say. They were local militia, wearing hard leathers and wielding spears. They seemed nervous, but not quite afraid - especially considering the fact that much of the activity in the area had halted, and the multitude of soldiers present on site were all keeping an eye on what was happening.

Old May 2, 2018, 01:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mythic

The knight rolled his lips and twitched his nose in annoyance. His eyes met the squad leader's gaze. It wasn't a hard gaze, but rather one which asked, "Do you really have to do this?" His heavy tail slowly swayed behind him, the tip lightly dragging through the dirt. The tension quickly built.

Links reached out to the dracon beside him through the Call. Alekto, he said was his name. Keep calm, scale brother. We'll be fine. Don't give them a reason to strike. The tension in the air was ready to snap. Links steeled his nerves and kept his breath steady. He had to play this smart, otherwise bad stuff would happen.

Links finally blinked and looked toward Alekto. "Not welcome here? Did you know about this Alekto? I guess weren't not welcome here. My mistake." He turned his gaze back towards the militia. "No offense, but I heard that there was some problems around here lately. Something to do with farms being raided? It's only rumors, but my brother and I here decided to come by and see if we could help. But if we're not welcome here, then we'll leave. We get it. You don't want to send two dracons to die. You'd rather shoulder all the risk yourselves. How very brave and noble. Anyway, come on Alekto. Let's not take up anymore of these brave men's time."

The dracon slightly bowed his head to the squad leader and started to back away. Either the man would take the bait, or Links would have to find another way to join the investigation party. As long as he and Alekto didn't die, that was the important thing.

Old May 2, 2018, 10:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Citizen

He understood the prejudice here. He even accepted there was little to nothing to be done in such a situation, but he avoid Sacrum for this very reason. His blood began to boil despite the norm of this situation. He did his best to still himself. The Call of his fellow Dracon, and his steady words soothed his curdling thoughts. In fact, it was rather exhilarating experiencing the Call for the first time. The distraction was enough to calm his blood. Rational was the better choice in this situation... especially considering his ability to truly contribute to a fight.

He watched his fellow Dracon work the solders in an attempt to allow the two of them to stay. His fellow apparently had a reason for being here, and had Alekto known the situation, he might have ventured to volunteer; though, Sacrum deserved whatever it got. All he really wanted was to ensure his own safe travel through the area, and the smoke and murmurs of the people stirred him to follow this rather unpleasant path. He simply nodded at his fellow Dracon's words, imitating his bow.

The entirety of the passing moments may have reviled his excitement and pacification as his wings responded in kind to his emotions, ticking slightly up then a subtle flare before relaxing into their usual lazed position. He felt guilty for distracting the Dracon from his task and possibly refuting him of some form of reward, but they might still be able to skirt around the ridged form of the Church and do some investigating on their own. Then again, the people surrounding Sacrum were not friendly to their kind either.
Old May 3, 2018, 08:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Notable

Isabelle felt it was better to listen in. She had some recent experiences with mountains and goblins, but had no idea what rodentis were really made of. She knew it theoretically of course, but she never had an opportunity to meet one.

"Just watch out for any dangers." She said when asked for any comments
Old May 4, 2018, 03:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Links/Alekto

And so Links spoke his words and left. How awkward. But at least they didn't just shoot the pair of dracons in the back.

The only question now was what they planned on doing. The Church of Faith seemed to be rather heavily involved in the investigation, which made sense. This was Vesta, after all. Perhaps another area was more suited for the two of them to be able to work unimpeded.

Isabelle

With Isabelle not really having any experience in this sort of thing, she was shuffled about for a while before eventually being placed with the other mercenaries, adventurers, and others who had come along for this sort of thing. The squad she was assigned to was rather ancillary in function, mostly just another mishmash of combat types who could wield a weapon and be expected not to die too quickly.

She was free to mingle for a while with her squadmates. It seemed that there was a little bit of a theme going on here. There were two lutran, twins apparently, named Bal and Ral. There was another female mer who introduced herself as Ella, and their squad leader was a female sea elf by the name of Trix.

Sea pals, unite?

oocNext post shall be late night Sunday/early morning Monday, approximately three days from now

Last edited by Indefinite; May 4, 2018 at 03:06 AM.
Old May 5, 2018, 02:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Citizen

Alekto could feel the leering stair of the guards as the two dracon's departed their presence. Once they were well away from their prejudiced friends, he spoke. "I hope I didn't cause you any trouble. I was on my way to Arkdün, but I kept seeing pillars of smoke. I stuck to the main roads a little too long." Even now, he kept a watchful eye for any hostility. One never knew in this region. Some had a genuine hatred for their kind while others a dislike mingled with indifference.

"I'm willing to help with whatever you are here for since I've gotten you kicked out." He still wasn't sure what the dracon actually knew of the situation regarding raids and burning farms, but the brief mention of raids peaked his interest. If raids were happening, the looted goods could be stockpiled somewhere. Dipping into such goods was a tantalizing opportunity; though, watching the soft skins spill their own blood in efforts to prevent such things was just as rewarding.
Old May 5, 2018, 04:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Mythic

Links looked upwards at the tall blue dracon. He chuckled and shook his head. "Don't worry about all that, scale brother. There was going to be trouble with them regardless. If two of us is too many for their liking, a single dracon wouldn't have been welcomed."

The knight looked over the tall lean dracon. He looked young. Younger than Links anyway, but in terms of dracon lifespan, they would roughly be the same age. The massive halberd across his back was intimidating, but could Alekto use it? Links' experienced eye told him no. He wouldn't kill himself with it, but the blade was still a new thing in his hands. It wasn't a part of him yet. That was good enough for the purple dracon though. A scale brother was still a dangerous dracon, even without any training. They were creatures of nightmares. The softskin hatred towards them was justly founded, albeit outdated.

"We'll just have to find another way to investigate these raids. With the Church tied up with investigating each occurrence, they shouldn't have much time to harass two dracons. As long as we don't draw attention to ourselves..." Links looked up and down Alekto's tall stature. "... any more that usual, we should be fine."

But where to go? They couldn't go sniffing around the raided farm houses. They would be spotted. They needed to find another way to hear the news and get the inside scoop. "Come on. We'll head to the nearest tavern. We can pick up the latest rumors there. Maybe we'll get a lead on who is behind these raids."

Old May 5, 2018, 11:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Notable

"Serale Bal, Ral, Ella and Trix. It feels like we are going to be the sea party. It should be fun. I wonder if whatever is attacking has access to boats or whatever they call their floating things. They are always so offended when I call their boat as boats. What is the difference? Ship, boat, cruiser." Isabelle said with a grin.

She thought about asking for tools. Drills, pliers, hammers, etc. If they were going after boats, they might at well attempt to sink them first. It would give this group a lot of advantage.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: