Old June 16, 2017, 12:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

[Countryside] Absis 69 [Niven, Dante]

Era XXIV Post Fractum

Absis United had a research facility in western Vesta, near the edge of the border between the Hierocracy and the United Directorate to the west, in the rolling hills that were the very end of the Great Mountains. It was nestled comfortably within one of these towering hills, a facility housed within a large cave network that had been partially natural to begin with, and partially dug out. A good deal of the facility was underground, consisting of the main ground level and four subsequent underground levels. The staff of researchers that had been posted there had recently gone quiet, their usual status reports missing, and so a team of adventurers had been sent in to investigate.

Niven and Dante! They had the rendezvous point that had been assigned to them for their meet up, a distinctive granite hill southeast of Chanliya Fortress, from which point onward they were supposed to advance to the facility on foot. Except, well, they were probably always together to begin with, so maybe such a point wasn't needed.
Old June 18, 2017, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Eternal

Wealth Tier: Steel
Dante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious Superhero

It felt like forever since Dante had stepped out of the coach and started toward the compound in question with Niven. He was used to going long distances on his feet... on a ship. It isn't to say he wasn't in great shape, but he wasn't used to putting this much wear on his shoes in a single brightening. That said he wasn't about to get on one of those. He eyed Niven's horse warily. He hadn't ridden one ever before, but he wasn't really eager to try either. It seemed weird to let something else do your walking for you.

The dracon in human seeming had his armor on, he had all his daggers, including the concealed ones; his crossbows, auto, hand, and regular; and his matare. He definitely looked like he was ready for combat. The only annoying part? He wanted to be in his dracon form. All things considered, a dracon was meant for one thing, combat. Given the nature of the mission and the overall reaction to dracons since the eclipse it wasn't prudent for him to do so. Just one more thing about the establishment, including the church of faith, that bothered him.

Because of his mistrust, he counseled with Niven to avoid the 'rendevous' point, in case this was some set up. It was nice to have a horse to carry provisions though. At least that freed him up to defend against any attackers rather than lugging around their supplies like a pack mule. "We should be there soon I think," Dante said quietly to Niven.

Last edited by Dante Asunder; June 30, 2017 at 02:19 AM.
Dante Asunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Niven is a famous HeroNiven is a famous HeroNiven is a famous Hero

Niven was appreciative that Dante had insisted that they brig Trigg with them when they agreed to investigate for Absis United. While the coach had brought them most of the way, having the horse carry their supplies now instead of having to pack them on their own backs was helpful. Especially with the hot suns beating down on them.

The elf had chosen to wear her green trousers, white chemise, and brown leather vest and boots for this excursion, instead of the customary dresses she wore. The extra fabric of a shift and then dress would have made her that much warmer, but would have made riding astride that much more of a challenge. She was also grateful she’d had the foresight to grab a leather tie for her hair, so it was up off her neck. Her bow was slung over her shoulder along with her quiver of arrows, and her jewelled dagger was fastened to her hip in it’s usual spot. She didn’t have armour like Dante as her skills lent more to fighting from a distance, though Dante and life experience had taught her enough that she could hold her own when it came to hand to hand combat as well.

The Silrosian rode at a slow walk alone as Dante had refused to ride. She caught his wary glance at Trigg and couldn’t keep the smile off her lips. It amused her, his aversion to riding. It had many benefits, not the least of which was giving her a better vantage point of their destination.

She nodded as Dante surmised their arrival at their destination would be soon. As she shielded her eyes from the suns, she could see the hills that the facility was supposedly nestled in. “Do you want me to ride ahead and scout the area? Check for any signs of life or anything amiss?” She regarded him for a moment before speaking again. “Are you sure you don’t want to ride? Trigg can easily handle both of us as I weigh very little and it would allow you a break from walking. It would be better for both of us to be at the peak of our strength if we come across anything requiring us to use our weapons.”

CIR | SoF

Thread Count: 9 + 3
Niven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

The directions they had been given to the facility, while based around starting at the rendezvous point, could theoretically still be extrapolated if Dante and Niven decided to give the place a wide berth. It had mostly been designed for pairs that weren't always traveling together, after all - or at least, that's what somebody might have told the dracon if he had asked. Maybe if really was a trap? Who knew!

Either way, they had a decision to make. Or rather, Dante had some answers to come up with, since Niven was asking all the questions.
Old June 30, 2017, 02:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Eternal

Dante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious Superhero

Dante pretended not to notice Niven's smile. He knew it was at his expense and in all fairness not entirely unwarranted, but he couldn't help it. The idea of riding the horse made a chill run up his spin. "I'm fine. You've nothing to worry about," he gave her a reassuring smile. "I feel like it is better for me not to be impeded by having to dismount."

He didn't lie. Everything Dante said was true. It may not have been the whole reason, but it was still true. He had his crossbow out and was scanning the horizon in every direction at once. "Scouting might not be a bad idea, but remember, up on horseback, if there is someone watching you'll be easier to spot."

Dante crouched low and moved toward the nearest hill that was in the direction of the facility. Before he reached the crest of the hill, he lay on his stomach and slowly army crawled to the top before looking out over the top and seeing what he could see. "I'll try to cover you from here, if you want?"

Old July 1, 2017, 02:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Niven forced herself to refrain from rolling her eyes at his comment. In reality it took no more than a few seconds to dismount from a horse, but Dante seemed determined to not to have anything to do with horses. His reasons made very little sense to her and she wished at some point that he would just get over whatever they were.

The elf scanned the horizon around her as Dante responded to her scouting idea. Her eyes saw nothing to cause alarm, so she didn’t feel concerned about the idea. Granted, that didn’t mean there was nothing out there. She stopped at the bottom of the hill and allowed Dante to crawl up the hill and take a position.

Nodding, she dug her heels into Trigg’s flank and moved to urge the beast forward. She rounded the hill and rode off towards the direction the facility was supposed to be in. Keeping her hands on the reigns instead of around her bow, Niven knew that if there was anyone around, she’d look simply as a traveller going along her merry way. This may be attractive to bandits, but she did have her dagger and it wasn’t hard to grab her bow if she needed it, and she had Dante covering her if she needed his assistance.

CIR | SoF

Old July 1, 2017, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Foreboden!

No bandits, no traps, no nothing.

The directions were rather clear and straightforward and before long Niven had reached the general area that the facility was supposed to be in, with Dante keeping an eye out from afar or trailing along behind her - at some point he needed to catch back up to her.

The facility was located in one of the sloping hills that were the very end of the Great Mountain chain, inserted in such a way that unless you approached it from a certain angle, the entrance couldn't be seen at all. Disguised by the surrounding tall grass and hilly terrain, Niven needed to find a set of landmarks that Absis United had provided in order to know how exactly to approach, and in doing so noticed a little sliver in what had appeared to just be a solid wall of earth. An optical illusion of sorts, one that revealed a passage that led into a cave. The facility lay further within, outlining exactly how to traverse the cave network to get there.

Although maybe that was where the trap was. Either way, Niven had managed to find the way in.
Old July 7, 2017, 06:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

As she trotted forward towards where they had been directed, Niven’s eyes scanned the area. There was nothing and no one. The elf looked almost disappointed. She turned in her saddle to look behind her at Dante and shrugged.

She did, however, notice the markers that had been indicated to them that would reveal the entrance. This peaked her interest, as the entrance wasn’t immediately visible, and she slid off Trigg’s back. Grabbing the reins, she led the horse closer. The sliver in the wall became apparent and she smiled. Dropping the reins, she ran back out into Dante’s field of vision and if he hadn’t already started towards her, she waved him over and waited for him to join her. “This way,” she said, leading him towards the entrance to the cave and positioning him just right.

“I found the way in,” she boasted, triumphantly, gesturing to the opening in the wall. “Trigg won’t fit though, so I’ll find a spot to tie him up and we can stash our gear maybe just inside the cave here? Then we can proceed on foot."

CIR | SoF

Old July 9, 2017, 01:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Finding a place for the horse was simple enough. Hopefully he wouldn't get into any trouble out here.

Anyway! Now that the place itself had been found, progress was made in leaps and bounds. With any luck Dante would decide to join Niven in continuing to progress deeper inside of the cave. Absis United had provided very thorough instructions when it came to how to get to their facility. Without them, it was easy to see how they might have gotten lost in this labyrinthine cave network.

After taking the who knew how many-th turn down another fork, they finally reached their destination. Light. Two long torches had been planted firmly in the stone of the ground up ahead, and behind them was a large, iron door - somewhat circular with spokes coming out of it. It looked pretty heavy, and firmly closed, too. Good thing Absis United had provided directions for this, too! The natural rock of the tunnel gave way to more artificial 'brick' walls closer to the door. These were supposed to be tapped in a certain order.

Yes, just tap this one brick eight times, this other brick twice, and this final brick once.
Old July 13, 2017, 12:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

As she twisted and turned through the corridors leading to the facility itself, Niven was never more grateful for the clear and explicit instructions they had been given. She didn't doubt for a single moment that if she'd been left to her own devices she'd have gotten lost. Glancing behind her, she wasn't sure without instructions if she could even get back out. This parchment was worth more than a few crowns to her as it could quite realistically be the difference between life and death within the labyrinth of caves and passageways.

She couldn't help the relief that flooded her body as she caught the first glimpse of the torchlight. As it got brighter, and the door came into view, her confidence grew. They were finally where they needed to be. But there was no telling what they would find behind the door.

The door itself looked intimidating. They certainly knew what they were doing when it came to fortification. Forgetting the instructions for a moment, Niven ran her hand over the cold steel of the door, looking for a latch or way to open it. Finding nothing, she frowned. "Hmmm," she said, as she backed away and considered the door from a distance, scanning it with her eyes. Seeing nothing, she looked back at the instructions. Maybe there was something in there.

Well, of course, there was. Niven rolled her eyes at herself. "Perhaps we'll try reading first next time, hm?" She murmured, quietly chastising herself. She scanned the words and then looked up at the brick wall. "Clever."

Moving forward, she unslung her bow in one graceful movement. She located the first indicated brick and proceeded to tap it and the others with her weapon, checking back when she needed to. Once the sequence was complete, the elf stood back, her eyes locked on the door and waited for what would happen next.

CIR | SoF

Old July 15, 2017, 05:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Eternal

oocI'm sorry it's taken so long to post. Thanks for keeping me included.

Dante covered Niven until she reached the cliff face, carefully moving forward in spurts as necessary to keep up with her. He could tell that his dislike of riding bothered her, but perhaps some brightening she'd get over it. He'd been almost ran down enough times by one and seen too many people's injuries go from slight to severe simply by adding a 5 ft fall from horseback and adding an 800 lb animal into a already tense situation. No thank you. Nope. No chance.

At her wave he simply jogged the remaining distance, smiling at her as he finally caught up somewhat winded, "S..ee... No... problem... {gasp} Com... pletely... fine... {gasp}. {Gasp} Now..." he started before his breathing returned to normal "...Let's see about this secret entrance."

Dante nodded at her suggestion and stowed most of his camping gear with hers and Trigg. All the weapons, ammo, and at least a cycle's provisions stayed with the dracon. Just in case. "After you my lady," he bowed then following her with his auto crossbow equipped and ready to fire. As they walked he tried to remember the twists and turns from the instructions that he'd been given. He then tried to commit to memory the reverse order of the turns so they could escape if the paper was lost and the need arose.

Once the duo reached the brick wall Dante moved to the brick wall, waiting for Niven to join him there. He didn't remember the exact sequence, but he remembered there was one and she had the paper so certainly she knew what to do. Dante looked back, seeing her studying the paper intently, about to speak when she headed up to the wall and tapped on the pattern. The dracon looked at her in surpise. "You hadn't read it yet?" he queried with his head tilted to the side. The dracon extended a hand to her, "May I?"

No offense to his beautiful companion, but he wanted to read ahead in case there were traps or something. Dante definitely didn't want to lose Niven to some booby trap. After reading ahead, he readied himself, returned the paper, and with auto crowwbow aimed forward, stepped slowly through the opening.

Last edited by Dante Asunder; July 15, 2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old July 15, 2017, 01:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Click click click click click click click click, boop boop, poke!

Whooooooooosh thunk. There was a grating, grinding sound as the door slowly began to creak open, a hissing sound emanating from behind it as both Niven and Dante were hit by a wave of warm, humid air. Oh! Niven thought it smelled rather nice, although Dante wouldn't notice anything at all. What was the smell...? Well, whatever it was, it was nice.

The room behind the door seemed to be full of all sorts of complicated looking mechanisms, but as far as either of them could tell they were only involved in getting the door open. Besides that there wasn't much, what looked like a wooden table, a few chairs around it, other bits and bobs that neither of them could really tell the function of. It seemed like at some point there might have been guards or security lounging around here, but for now? It was abandoned.

There was but a single wooden door leading out of this room.
Old July 16, 2017, 10:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

The question stung. “Not all of it, no,” she retorted, her tone hard and her face and neck getting hot. “I’ll admit I was distracted by other things, like making sure we had everything we needed and that everyone back home had everything they needed while we were gone.” Her eyes narrowed and her mouth formed a line, her expression one of annoyance and aggression for a moment before she looked away from him. She did not appreciate the insinuation that she was now ill prepared to handle the task ahead as she hadn’t studied the paper intently. The elf knew all too well that sometimes things get missed when you study something and assume you have a better handle on it then you truly did. She’d rather feel fresh and read as they went to ensure that the instructions were followed as they were given, not as they were simply interpreted through a fallible memory.

When he asked for the paper, she handed it to him in a sharp movement, still not looking at him. Did he think that because this was the first time since her return that they’d been out together on an assignment that she was unable to handle herself? He’d not had an issue with working with her before, why now? Did he think her fragile and unable to perform at her best? This had never been a thing before the wedding. Why did everything change now? Pushing the swirling thoughts away, Niven focused on the task before her and stepped back from the doorway as the machinery made its sounds of working.

As the door swung open and the warm air hit her, Niven’s eyebrows raised. She wasn’t sure what exactly she’d been expecting, but it certainly wasn’t the pleasant smell that filled her nostrils. “Hmm!” she said, her tone one of interest.

She focused on her sense of sight next and peered into the room. Wheels and cogs and other mechanical paraphernalia filled the room. It seemed overly complicated. The elf glanced back at the brick wall. It was quite a trick to have mere tapping coax the machinery to life. What kind of a place was this?

Dante stepped through first and she followed, but there was no need for weapons. At least, not yet. The room wasn’t large, but there was another door. Where it lead and what was being it was impossible to tell as there were no sounds coming from the other side. Moving in front of Dante, Niven placed her hand on the pull. She looked at Dante, and nodded to his weapon before jerking her head towards the door, silently sending him the message that she would open the door and he would stay armed as protection from anything that they might find behind the door.

“Ready?” she mouthed. Whatever her issues were with him, they could be settled at a different time. For now, they had a job to do and, if she needed to, she would show him she could hold her own. If he nodded to the affirmative, she'd open the door.

CIR | SoF

Last edited by Niven; July 22, 2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old July 22, 2017, 02:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Foreboden!

#adventurercoupleproblems

Well, whether it was Dante who had changed, or Niven who had changed, or perhaps the both of them who had changed, for better or worse, they were together now. Hopefully they wouldn't tear each other apart before things even got started.

Door open? Door closed? Well, there was only one thing to do with a closed door, and naturally that was to open it.

One big hallway. There were two rooms to the left, and one to the right. Beyond that, though, they heard a barely audible muttering. It seemed to be originating from something that was hanging off of the wall, a thin tube that came out of it that widened up and ended in a large hole. There seemed to be a voice coming through it! Although they couldn't really clearly hear what the person was muttering about. Definitely male, though.
Old July 30, 2017, 11:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
Eternal

Dante mentally winced. "Idiot!" he thought to himself. When Niven turned away Dante grabbed her wrist and pulled her back to him in an intimate embrace. "Hey," his voice was soft, just above a whisper, "I'm sorry. This is your thing and you're doing a great job."

Holding her close, unless she of course decided to fight her way out of it or start screaming at him or something, he pulled her in until their lips where a hair's breadth apart. "You're still the boss. I'm just the back up right?" The opportunity was there, he hoped she'd kiss him and not, you know, knee him in the crotch or something, but when she wanted to be let go after that he'd comply.

He'd still read over the paper if she handed it over. Memories might be fallible, but one had no chance of remembering something they'd never even looked at. Without another word, once the reading was done he handed it back to Niven graciously and allowed her to continue in the lead.

Dante followed her cue and headed through the wall first. It wasn't a large room, so Dante didn't bother with the crossbow just yet. Instead he was ready to draw his daggers at a moment's notice, which hopefully wouldn't be necessary. He didn't notice anything about the air, other than that it was humid, but he circled the room slowly, examining everything before readying the auto-crossbow at Niven's request. He waited patiently for her to open the door, finger loose on the trigger.

The dracon moved up to the closest of the three doors. Catching Niven's eye he pointed to his ear, then toward the metal tube - horn looking thing, then looked confused and shook his head. Hopefully she caught his question, "I don't understand what they're saying. Do you?"

Covering her from the doorway he had moved to, Dante waited for Niven's signal. He really didn't mean to 'question' her ability. That certainly wasn't what was in his head. She was smart and capable and he knew it. She didn't 'need' him for this. Basically she was allowing him to tag along to keep her company because fortunately for him she seemed to enjoy his company, and perhaps having an extra set of eyes and hands was useful occasionally.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: