Go Back   Aelyria > Games > Telath > The Aelyrian Empire > Hierocracy of Vesta

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old June 7, 2017, 01:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Eternal

Wealth Tier: Steel
Dante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious Superhero

The time has come to talk of food and things! [Private Niven; Indefinite]

TS: Late Spring Era XXIV Post Fractum

Sacrum. Capital of the Church of Faith, once home to the Diantar dracon Dante Asunder. It was not so welcoming any more. The dracons had been ran out and the other dark races were looked down on if not outright purged. At one time Dante had had a successful restaurant and branch of his fishing business here. He'd had a large home and a small apartment, but that was before.

A cool, pleasant breeze swept through the large city as Dante made his way through the familiar streets. He was wearing a human seeming and had the imperial visa of one Richard Trumkil as his papers. The human's hair blew in the breeze, almost as if the breeze was pointing people's attention to his eyes, which were easily read as 'Don't touch me'. His garb was that of a simple sailor, which was a role he could easily play.

At a whim he looked around for Niven. This wasn't a brightening he wanted to be alone. Presumably finding her, he directed them toward the Aetherian Restaurant, or at least, where it used to be. "You alright?" he queried?

Dante Asunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Niven is a famous HeroNiven is a famous HeroNiven is a famous Hero

It unnerved Niven to be back in the city now known as Sacrum. When she had last been here the city had been known as Diana. Very little of the physical city had changed, but the attitude shift was incredible. As she walked beside her fiancé, matching his brisk pace, she thought back to their last brightening here.

She had mixed feelings about that brightening. It brought to her a mix of joy and sadness. It had come to pass that the Church of Faith had taken a completely different stance on it’s acceptance of dracons and their family had needed to vacate their beautiful home here. Many tears had been shed as they all had packed only what they had needed and left in the wee hours of the darkening. The memory brought with it a melancholy feeling.

Then a smile touched her rosebud lips as she remembered the happy part of that brightening. Her right hand unconsciously moved to touch the signet ring that graced the ring finger of her left hand. It had been there since Dante had decided that he couldn’t wait any longer to ask her to marry him after she had vehemently insisted that she wouldn’t leave for her own protection from whatever was coming after the Church of Faith’s announcement at his suggestion. In her minds eye she watched the scene over again as if she was a third party observer. It was at this point she bumped into another pedestrian on the street because she wasn’t paying attention.

I’m fine,” she replied to Dante’s question, coming back to reality. She flashed him a reassuring smile, which quickly turned sympathetic. “How are you doing?

The Silrosian knew this couldn’t be easy for him. His had been devoted to the church for much of his life and the church had suddenly turned it’s back on him. It was unfair. He’d had such a presence in what had once been the city named after his patron deity. Now he couldn’t even be here in his true form for fear of a racist response.

It was time, though, to see what had happened to all they’d had. It was long enough that they would not be suspected for looking into his old holdings. Niven held no hope for the branch of his shipping business or for what had once been a beautiful and thriving restaurant, but it was entirely possible that she was wrong and things may turn out to be less bleak than she expected.

CIR | SoF

Thread Count: 9 + 3
Niven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2017, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

What did people do when working at a business when the owner of the place just sort of went quiet? Well, it depended on the business, the people, and the city they were working in, naturally. All sorts of things could happen, from a hostile takeover of the business to everybody just leaving and the building being sold to somebody else to an orc war party coming in and murdering and raping and pillaging and burning everything to the ground.

Just saying, some cities were a lot worse than others.

In the case of Sacrum Dante's business had been in that strange place between "there's better places for us to be" and "we're all too busy to actually bothered with this closed building." So while Dante and Niven were to find that the restaurant had been shuttered and closed, its employees having found plenty of other opportunities either within the capital city of Vesta itself or the myriad other locations in the Empire, that the building had yet to be claimed by the city or sold off to somebody else. A bit strange, perhaps, it was located in the better part of town after all, but these days the administrators of Vesta had plenty more to worry about, and property development didn't necessarily rank particularly high, it seemed.

That or Dante had gotten lucky and the paperwork had been misfiled - bureaucracy and all.
Old June 11, 2017, 04:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Eternal

Dante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious SuperheroDante Asunder is a glorious Superhero

Dante gave Niven a smirk. Her strength was one of the reasons he loved her so much. "I'm nervous," his smile barely clinging to his face. "I put a lot of work into this place and it breaks my heart to think what may have become of it." There were many good times in the restaurant and it was a shining testament to his faith in the power of mercy. Sure it was Diana at one time, but Dante felt it important to stay true to the teachings he felt she embodied.

Dante shook his head, to clear the memories of the past. With a wink he nodded to Niven, "All we can do is see what there is."

Eventually they arrived at the restaurant, "Aetherian Dining". Dante stopped, shock on his face. "It's still standing," he whispered. He smiled at her. "Well, at least there's that?" He reached for Niven's hand hoping she'd take it. "Should we look inside?"

Old June 11, 2017, 01:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Reaching out to take his hand, the elf gave it a soft squeeze before letting go to make way for a peddler and his cart of wares to pass between them. She nodded as he expressed is apprehension once she had moved She felt the same. “Exactly," she replied. “We’ll see what’s left and start from there.

When the arrived at the restaurant, Niven couldn’t keep her own surprise from her face. The doors and windows were boarded up, but it still stood and, from the outside at least, it looked in relatively good condition. “Yes,” Niven breathed, her amazement taking over most of her senses. Dante took her hand and she shot him a distracted smile. She moved forward to touch one of the boarded windows, almost as if to pro “Someone in Aetheria is smiling on us, for sure! I was certain that this would be gone.

Dante suggested they see inside and Niven nodded. She looked around for a way to get in. “Perhaps we should try to get in through the back entrance. I can only imagine how it will look if we start tearing things open right here before we have a reason for doing so aside from, ‘We used to run the restaurant here’. I foresee that bringing nothing but trouble and we don’t want to call attention to ourselves.”

She moved to go around the structure, pulling Dante with her if he let her to look to see if there was another way in. She hoped that they would have little trouble getting inside and, with how well things looked on the outside, that things on the inside were just as well.

CIR | SoF

Old June 13, 2017, 11:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

The doors were all locked and the windows boarded up. So, well, it wasn't quite as simple as just walking into the place or anything. Did Dante still have the keys? Heck, maybe they'd changed the locks or something.

On the plus side, if it was this well secured, there probably wasn't anybody squatting inside. Hopefully.
Old June 17, 2017, 01:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Eternal

Dante smiled at Niven, the excitement obvious on his face. There was a twinkle in his eye, like a child who didn't have to go to schola for the rest of the summer. He took a deep breath and walked around the side of the building with Niven, as casually as he could muster. Niven was correct, as usual. It wouldn't b prudent for them to try to get in through the front. Drawing attention to themselves was unwise in a city so prejudice.

Having headed around back, Dante checked his keys at the back gate. Assuming they worked he would carefully and quietly open the lock. Then, with the patience born of someone who practices stealth, sneak open the gate so as to not alert anyone inside, if, in fact there was such a person.

Once the gate was open, Dante would squeeze Niven's hand and give her a reassuring smile, before heading into the back courtyard where the barrels of food stuffs were unloaded to stock the restaurant. They even had fresh fish thanks to the elementalist Dante had had on staff back then.

The dracon couldn't help but smile at all the happy memories of the good people that used to work for him here. He hoped they were all doing well.

Old June 19, 2017, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

oocuhhhhhh..... ok.

The elf practically vibrated as Dante tried his keys. “Please work, please work, please work!” she silently prayed as he tried his keys in the lock.

Niven followed Dante through the open gate and looked around. She assumed this was where the food deliveries were made. She released his hands and tried the back door to the restaurant to see if it was open. If it was, she would push it open and peer inside, hoping to find no one, man or beast, squatting inside.

CIR | SoF

Old June 20, 2017, 01:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Either they had expected him to come back at some point, or nobody had really cared to put in the effort. Either way, Dante's keys managed to work just fine. The back gate opened up, allowing the both of them into the courtyard. It was abandoned and empty now, of course, but for as long as the restaurant had been in operation it had been well looked after. A bit of sweeping up, it looked like, and the place would be good as new.

The back door needed a key as well, locked as it was. No squatters inside, though! Just a bit of dust. Everything was actually surprisingly neat, if totally empty. The furniture was more or less still there, but the equipment, the supplies, the utensils, all of that seemed to have been cleared out.

Empty, cleaned out. But the building was still there, and while it might take some investment and cleaning to get it running again, it seemed in well enough shape.
Old June 29, 2017, 01:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Eternal

Dante looked around the yard, probably looking a little silly in his paranoia; but hey, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you. After he reached the building and hadn't been attacked, accosted, or even seen anyone at all, Dante stopped sneaking and just looked around confused. He looked at Niven and shrugged. This certainly wasn't what he expected.

The dracon checked the key to the back door. He was amazed so far that his keys were still functioning. He looked inside. Just about everything looked intact except the flat wear, furnishings and supplies. It was astounding.

Ideas started charging through his brain. This was doable. They could get this started again. Would it be worth it? Was Niven willing to have Dante visiting Sacrum every cycle? He looked at his beloved, "This is surprising no? Everything seems..." he turned his head looking back and forth at everything "...great." Looking back at Niven he queried, "What do you think?"

Old July 1, 2017, 06:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

As Niven gazed over the space once Dante had let her in, she was surprised to find everything in as good shape as it was. Everything was covered in a thick layer of dust and smelled a little musty, but a good cleaning and airing out would take care of both issues. She walked into the kitchen area, noting that everything that could be easily removed had been, but that was a relatively inexpensive fix.

She nodded slowly at Dante’s assessment. “Yes.” she murmured, still in disbelief that there was so much still here and all in decent shape. The elf turned to look at the dracon in human form at his question.

“I think,”
she said, choosing her words carefully, “That we have been blessed once again.” She spread her hands, gesturing to the space. “I would never have dared to hope for this, yet here it is.” A smile spread across her lips. “I think that if this is something we want to take on again, it’s doable. It won’t be easy, though. We’ll likely need to find someplace to stay in the city as I’m not sure of the state of our house here, but I think if we worked together and we found the right people, I think it’s completely possible to make this place successful again!.”

The elf puckered her lips and tapped them with her index finger as she thought while looking around the space. "We may have to change the name and not let any of the staff know who we truly are, unless we can manage to rehire people you used to have employed here…” She walked the space and considered it from every angle. The space seemed larger than when she'd last been here as there had been more tables and it had been full of people. She smiled as she remembered with fondness her meals with Dante and the family. Technically, she and Dante had had their first date in this restaurant. This fact alone made her want to do whatever she could to help get the place up and running.

"It would help to have a greenhouse garden in back…”
she said, the wheels turning in her brain as she made plans and formed ideas. ”We could find a druid who would be willing to be here full time and make sure there is a steady supply of vegetables to keep our costs down….” She moved back into the kitchen area. “…If we got the fishing business back up and running here, we could take care of our own fish and other sea foods….”

She paused and then frowned. She turned on her heel and faced Dante. “This is going to cost a lot though. I don’t immediately see how we can pull this off.” A sigh of disappointment escaped her body.

CIR | SoF

Old July 3, 2017, 12:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Eternal

Dante smiled at Niven. She sounded nearly as excited as he was, maybe more so. He walked around with her looking at the status of the place and its assets. Dante grinned, "I agree." He walked around a little more, nodding; "That sounds probable. I think you're right. We wouldn't want to stay in the same place and advertise our presence again. I wouldn't feel safe with Nelly, Meeko, or any of the triplets here anyway."

Niven's assessment was of course accurate, as usual. "You're correct. I would trust most that I worked with before, but why put them in that... situation? Better to recruit all new staff under a new identity." He continued walking about, looking at various things, doing a more thorough inspection now that it seemed unlikely that anyone was here to accost them.

"A green house? That's a fantastic idea. It's worked at our home, although we'll need to increase it's capacity a bit, perhaps, buy a separate property and build an exceptionally large green house? I doubt anything we could build on these grounds would be sufficient to provide for our guests." He was starting to like this idea.

Dante reminisced about Niven and his first official date here. She had worn a dark purple dress, with her hair done up all fancy. Niven had taken his breath away that darkening, just as she'd continued to do every time he'd seen her since then. He looked at his love as she looked about and he sighed, enjoying how lovely she was.

When she started discussing money though, that really got the gears in his head turning. "My dear we could get a loan from the bank," he started walking toward her both hands out stretched in front of him to take hers if she'd let him, "It's what I had to do to start this place the first time."

Old July 5, 2017, 04:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

“No, none of them would be safe here if we returned to the house,” Niven agreed. "If that is still in a decent state, and it is still in our possession, we should probably sell it. Purchase something less ostentatious, and use the remaining to sink into here.” She was now antsy to get to the site of their house. “We could even get an apartment just large enough for the two of us and leave the children with Kala. I’d hate to uproot them over and over again when they are safe and happy where they are in Demios. We wouldn’t be here always..."

She beamed as he took to the idea of the greenhouse. It felt good to be able to contribute. Niven had felt uncomfortable for a while that Dante shouldered the entire burden of the family income and businesses by himself. It bothered her that she didn’t feel useful or supportive. She appreciated that he’d done it all without her before, but she didn’t want that to be the case any longer. They were a team in all things. She helped at home, but she wanted to help here too. And she was pleased that she finally felt like he was letting her.

The idea of the loan had Niven twisting her mouth and chewing on the inside of her cheek. She wasn’t in love with the idea of being beholden to someone or to an institution, bit she supposed with the task they had at hand it was a necessary evil. He let her take her hands, and her eyes moved from starting off into nothing to staring into his blue eyes. “Alright,” she said, finally, after mulling over it. “But I think we should go and see about the house. If there is a chance that if that is still in our possession that we could make the loan amount smaller, i would like to be able to take it. Unless, of course, you don't think that's a good idea? "

The elf thought for a few moments before continuing. "That might, though, put everything on hold. We don't know yet if the house is still in our possession, or how long it would take to sell. Perhaps the better course of action would be to get the loan first and then use whatever we get from the sale minus the purchase of new living quarters, as we will need them while we fix and start up the restaurant, to pay off the loan...." She was talking as fast as she was thinking, which was coming off mildly comical. She had, however, visibly perked up at the idea that once again this all was an actual possibility.

Niven smiled again and then wrapped her arms around Dante's waist, laying her head on his chest, and hugged him close. "This is going to be so amazing!" She gushed, her excitement palpable. She pulled back so she could look at him again. "Should we go to the bank now, or....?"

CIR | SoF

Last edited by Niven; July 15, 2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old July 5, 2017, 08:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Now would be good. But later was fine too.
Old July 15, 2017, 05:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
Eternal

Dante nodded as Niven voiced her concerns regarding the house and uprooting the children, "You're right. They're older now anyway. They don't need us as much anymore and this will give us some alone time too, which I feel we'll sorely need given the situation."

He scratched his chin as she vocalized her concern regarding the house, the loan and pretty much everything in between. "No I think looking at the house is a necessity, but I'm not sure how to go about selling it. Will the city just confiscate it? Will I be arrested for coming forward to take possession? I'm not sure how chaotic things have been in Saecrum since the Eclipse, but someone seems to be looking out for us whether it be Carmelya or someone else and I don't think we should squander this opportunity."

Dante smiled at Niven, then got a serious expression; "I think that if we think the restaurant will be successful again then we should go forward with it, regardless of the house. If we sell the house, great! More capital. If not, no big deal. We weren't planning on it anyway."

The dracon hugged her tight as he felt her excitement matching his own, "Yes. I think we should go to the bank, by way of the house. What have we to lose?"

Unless she had a good reason to the contrary, Dante would escort her from the premises, locking the place up behind him. He would then walk with her toward their old home, while chatting with her about fond memories he had of them together in the city and how pretty she looked that first date and other such things.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: