Old April 1, 2018, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Everything is walnuts

Wealth Tier: Steel
Talindra Koranthil is a glorious SuperheroTalindra Koranthil is a glorious SuperheroTalindra Koranthil is a glorious Superhero
Camp NanoWriMo Project

Serale and Vedui, everyone!

This thread was made so that we could provide each other with writing prompts to help get through this camp alive.

So! Feel free to post prompts (from your character or ooc) and let’s get this done! We’ve got this \o/

"Never Forget..."

CIR | SoF | Posting Status
Talindra Koranthil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2018, 10:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Shields are Yummy

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Hoskuld Coal-beard is a benevolent AdventurerHoskuld Coal-beard is a benevolent Adventurer
So are you thinking of something like this?

Poker Face

Write a scene in which your character is frantically bluffing his/her butt off, either pretending to be knowledgeable of something about which they are ignorant, or to have some situation firmly in hand that they really don't.
Hoskuld Coal-beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2018, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Everything is walnuts

Talindra Koranthil is a glorious SuperheroTalindra Koranthil is a glorious SuperheroTalindra Koranthil is a glorious Superhero
Not in Moonstone Anymore, Toto

Your character wakes up somewhere they’ve never been before and have no clue how they got there.

Although there was a mighty bad storm the night prior...

"Never Forget..."

CIR | SoF | Posting Status

Last edited by Talindra Koranthil; April 3, 2018 at 08:48 AM.
Talindra Koranthil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2018, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sass Trash

Liahal is a glorious SuperheroLiahal is a glorious SuperheroLiahal is a glorious SuperheroLiahal is a glorious SuperheroLiahal is a glorious SuperheroLiahal is a glorious Superhero

Prompts for Days

Here are more:

Over time, she came to the realization she was no longer made of substance, but something more like shadow.

Suddenly, the hanged man starts to speak.

Two goblins sit in a forest arguing over what to do with six slivers of gold they found by the river.

The old man stares hard at him, seeming to see into his soul. “I will tell you your future,” he says. “But first, you must tell me mine…”

People are spontaneously combusting.

Soldiers take souvenirs from their fallen enemies, which proves to be their downfall.

The flowers from this garden are the most precious commodities in the realm… for a very good reason.

At this auction, people are bidding a lot more than money.

This muse inspires artists, writers, and musicians to great work, but when she leaves them, they become so despondent they sometimes die.

A worker learns that the tower they are building will serve a much different purpose than what they were all told.

Lightning strikes a person and leaves mysterious words or a map burned onto her or his skin.

An unlikely POV.

Jun 21, 2017: 20:56 RosieKyrillos: you ALWAYS get the power

Last edited by Liahal; April 1, 2018 at 01:53 PM.
Liahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2018, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Shields are Yummy

Hoskuld Coal-beard is a benevolent AdventurerHoskuld Coal-beard is a benevolent Adventurer
Egg Meridian

Write about an episode from your childhood in the style of one of the authors/books you listed as favorites in your profile.

(Since I mentioned Cormac McCarthy and Thomas Ligotti, mine should be interesting)
Old April 3, 2018, 08:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Shields are Yummy

Since somebody asked...

One of my writings from one of my own prompts:

Little Tommy Ligotti is complaining about his parents asking him to clean his room.
This is what I have so far:

I have found myself, in all the years of my life-few though they admittedly are- confronted, or rather *beset*, by the most preposterous of demands. These preposterous demands seem calculated less to extract some sort of advantage from me to benefit any other known party than to insult me for the perverse amusement of some inchoate, unpersonified interest. The treasures levied, the offices exacted, the observances required by these preposterous demands seem less like offerings to placate named deities, and more like senseless, nihilistic renunciations, as if the faith desired proved itself in the very uselessness of the sacrifices, rather than in the details of their content. And the pointlessness of these demands, along with the undefined nature and dubious existence of their beneficiaries, are only the most conspicuous features of their preposterous makeup. There are others I could name, and indeed, those features are the only things connected with the source of these preposterous demands that I *could* name.

These bizarre exactions are numerous, for as I said I am *beset* by them. But there is one in particular that stands out in its outrageousness, its enormity lending it a degree of monstrous individuality among the otherwise deranged and disordered horde of ridiculous stipulations that afflict my existence. I am referring, of course, to the preposterous demand that I clean my room.

It might seem that the fact that this demand stems from a cleary-defined and identified set of agents, namely my parents, would undermine any suggestion that they emanate from some howling void of inanity, but this is not the case. On the contrary, the very fact that the void has taken the guise of something as vulgar and banal as mom and dad to clothe its preposterous demands merely calls that much more attention to its horrific emptiness. The nameless demander could not show its own face, perhaps does not even have a face to show, yet it appropriates the guise of my parents, throwing its voice like some demonic ventriloquist into an imposture of their mundane familial authority. The effect is as if Satan himself has possessed a person, only to have that person write down a perfectly normal-looking shopping list of items nobody really wants.

My parents do not in any way that I can tell benefit from my room’s being clean. They never use it, never show it to guests; indeed, the only time they set foot in it at all is to recite the inevitable preposterous demand. Complying with that demand, arranging my congeries of puppets into some pretense of order, removing extraneous items of clothing from the floor, making my bed, and so forth, does not seem to provoke any sort of satisfaction in the agents speaking the demand, nor in the howling void throwing its voice into them. Defiance and non-compliance seems to provoke little more than the slightest of annoyance and the pettiest of punishments, along with the simple repetition of the demand. “How many times have I asked you to clean your room?” my mother often asks me. And the tone of befuddlement suggests to me that she genuinely does not know. The void speaking through her apparently does not keep count.
Old April 6, 2018, 08:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Califragilistic

Calanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious Superhero

1. This was a world where the vilest creatures came to roost. Even her mother, always so brave, wouldn't dare utter its name. This was a world where the snow fell black

2.Mirrors are doors to another dimension and you can just walk right through. Well you could, if the beings known as 'Reflections' weren't hired to keep you out.

3. Its dangerous out there, with the lost and the wild.

4."I'm leaving"
"Where will you go? There's nowhere else"
"Oh but there is"
"Dont tell me you believe the stories"

5. He stared down at his blood covered hands in horror. " What did you do?" The woman smirked. "Oh I didn't do anything. This was all you."

6."I don't keep secrets". The lie slid fluidly from my tongue.
charybdis >> grim :And crying.
Hoskuld & Walt :...and it was a weird time.
CIR
Secrets

Last edited by Calanon; April 7, 2018 at 04:19 AM.
Calanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2018, 06:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Niven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious Superhero

Scene with nekked man on a couch.

Warm rays of sunshine streamed through the windows of the studio where a nude man posed on a fainting couch for an artist. One of the windows was open and as a light breeze wafted through the man gave a shiver.

“It’s cold in here, can I close the window please?” he requested. A petite woman peeked out from behind a large canvas perched on a wooden easel, her eyes peering at the male model over thick black rimmed glasses. There was a paintbrush in her mouth and paint on her nose, forehead and cheeks. Her milk chocolate coloured hair was all twisted up in a knot at the crown of her head, the handle of an old paintbrush holding it in place. She gave the model a once over and then sighed. “Fine,” she said after taking the paintbrush out of her mouth. “Just stay put.”

Walking across the room to the window, her paint-splattered smock flaring as she moved swiftly to her goal. Quickly she pulled the window shut with a bang, before walking quickly back to her easel.

“Thank you,” the man said a grateful look on his face.

Once again, he struck the pose he’d been hired for. His hand once more came to cradle his head, his other arm resting on his hip while the rest of his muscular body was stretched out across the length of the couch. He gave a sexy smoulder.

“Hold it riiiiiiiiiight……..there,” the artist said, giving him a thumbs up.

CIR | SoF

Thread Count: 12 + 5
Niven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2018, 07:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Shields are Yummy

Just had this random funny idea for the old fortuneteller one:

Hoskuld scowled at the old man, examining his ears to make sure they weren’t pointed. Usually it was elves that caused him this much aggravation. Without opening his mouth he emitted what sounded like the angry groan of a rusty hoist being worked for the first time in eras.

”Alright, Mister” he responded, glaring at the fortuneteller through the gloom that lay across the table ”I shall tell ye your fortune. I sense a presence nearby, poised in the darkness, something powerful although small. It means you harm, aiming to strike unseen at the first sign of weakness or folly.”

There was a brief commotion under the table, followed by a sharp cry from the old man as the dwarf’s toe found his shin.

”There, it is fulfilled,” Hoskuld declared crossly. ”Now tell me my fortune or give me my swords back, ya faker!”

Last edited by Hoskuld Coal-beard; April 7, 2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old April 10, 2018, 08:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Shields are Yummy

And another totally random prompt that just occurred to me while I was having a conversation with Vree:

Imagine a character who has a pet rock. Narrate an event in the protagonist's life from the pet rock's point of view.
Old April 22, 2018, 01:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Aelyria's Nutcracker

Moss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious Superhero

A bit late in the piece, but I just stumbled across this website. If you're looking inspiration for descriptions, you punch in your subject and it gives you some samples. I wish I'd known about this tool years ago! I'm excited to see how I can use it to improve my descriptive writing.

https://www.descriptionari.com/

Posting Status: I've been very busy of late! Working hard to (slowly) catch up. [13.08.2018]
Moss Oktra'rek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2018, 09:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Sass Trash

Liahal is a glorious SuperheroLiahal is a glorious SuperheroLiahal is a glorious SuperheroLiahal is a glorious SuperheroLiahal is a glorious SuperheroLiahal is a glorious Superhero

I finally finished something. \o/

I did this prompt:

Two goblins sit in a forest arguing over what to do with six slivers of gold they found by the river.

It wasn’t that Feren was a disagreeable place. The trees were tall and the trunks were as wide as any forest in the third kingdom. Rays of light still streaked between the leaves, casting obscure, pointed shadows. The songbirds certainly did not find it to be a disagreeable place, and they flitted from branch to branch, chirping in sharp, quick trills. It was a forest like any other, really.

”They wear ‘em over their ears, to keep them giggwins out.” Grawp said with unabashed certainty. Grawp was taller than his brother because his ears pointed higher and the tuft of wiry hair that sprouted from his head stood straight up. That made him nearly half a finger taller. He knew this because he measured with his own half finger.

”They don’t wear ‘em on their ears, Grawp.” Wukos scoffed. Even through his mocking, Wukos looked tired. Grawp would only notice this because Wukos' large ears drooped and the skin on his face looked paler than normal. It was less of an avocado meat green and more of a, gobling wretch green.

Not Grawp though, Grawp’s coloring remained fleshy and ripe. A greenish green. A goblin green. ”If not their ears then what are they for?” The taller goblin kicked the dirt underneath him defiantly. He didn’t like to be corrected, especially not by his shorter twin brother. The sudden outburst caused the mole skulls at his belt to thwack together, making a ghostly sound when added to the rest of the melody of the forest. A skeletal wind chime.

”They wear ‘em on their feet.”

But before Grawp could snort a reply, a glimmer of something caught his eye from the river bank. ”Wukos!” He alerted his brother, then shoved Wukos out of the way and scrambled to the edge of the river. Bony hands rummaged through the dirt, until finally he held it to his face.

Gold.

Grawp held it proudly between his thumb and his first finger. The dirt had masked some of the shimmer, but there it was. He bit it just in case, and he was pleased to find that the metal refused to give. It was real. A real life, authentic fingerling of gold. He measured it against his half finger, wiggling the nub. The finger had been whole in his gobling years, but now it was just a nub, cut short at the very first knuckle. The sliver in the hand opposite was nearly twice as long as his half finger. That made it nearly a full finger’s length long.

He didn’t need to boast of his good fortune to Wukos, because his brother had already caught up to him. When Grawp turned to look at him, Wukos was holding his very own sliver. Wukos’ eyes were round and filled with wonder, and Grawp considered for a moment if he wore the very same face when he looked at his own fingerling of gold. ”It’s real.” Grawp confirmed. His voice was a full octave higher from enthusiasm, and he cleared his throat suddenly, embarrassed. ”I checked.” He said, his voice forced deeper.

But it was as if his brother did not hear him, Wukos still staring at the sliver, frozen with a bewilderment that Grawp had not ever seen from his brother. Grawp’s dark eyes flicked to the gold in Wukos’ fingers. ”I’ll trade you for it.” He announced quickly. His free hand drifted to his belt loop and he unfastened the mole skulls, jerking them upward to Wukos’ frozen face. The skulls dangled inches away from Wukos’ nose and they clacked together, making that same eerie and empty sound. They creaked and protested against each other, as if even in death the bones knew they should not be hollow.

Wukos snorted through his mouth. ”A gold fingerling for some dead heads!?” He cracked his palm against his knee, erupting into raucous, obnoxious laughter. ”That’s riper than using socks for giggwins!” He batted the outstretched skulls out of his way, chuckling and hooting as he straddled past his brother toward the river bank. Whatever spell the gold had put on him had faded, and Grawp was left with the Wukos he knew as his brother again.

Grawp fixed his face straight, but just as soon as Wukos was out of view his expression soured. He cleaned and polished those skulls with his own hand. And he had trapped the vermin with his own snares. Grawp could feel his cheeks growing hot with humiliation, and he tensed his jaw to will it away.

”I’ll tell you what, dear brother.” Wukos’ voice danced, inflection suddenly bouncing with delight.

Grawp did not turn to face his brother, but his ears twitched backwards, listening. He could hear the dusty paddings of his brother’s leather boots coming closer, until Wukos sauntered back into view, thumbs hanging out of his belt loops. He looked smug and stupid.

”I’ll trade you my last three griffin feathers, for your fingerling.” He pulled three fraying crimson feathers from his satchel. ”You can wear them with your heads.” His head bobbed rudely toward the skulls, and Grawp pulled the tiny skulls closer to his body, feeling oddly protective over them.

”I don’t want your feathers.” Grawp snapped. Josar had said they weren’t even real griffin feathers, and that Wukos only plucked them from a wild turkey. The more moronic clan members may have fallen for that trick, but not Grawp, son of Grimble the Grueling.

Grawp’s eyes narrowed into slits, sizing his brother up. ”Well, how’s about we put the fingerlings together, and then we is twice as rich.” Two fingerlings were better than one, and doubling their resources would double their profits, right?

Wukos’ mouth lifted lightly as this, but Grawp couldn’t tell if he liked the idea or was patronizing him. ”Alright dear brother, and what’ll we spend it for?” He appeared interested enough to stop pacing, but his thumbs were still looped through his belt. He just stood there now, waiting.

”We…” Grawp started. Truth be told, he didn’t really know how much two fingerlings of gold would get them. Better opt for something safe, something Wukos could not refuse. ”Say we buy two sheep, then a cooking pot. Potatoes, carrots. We'll fix lamb stew for supper.” Wukos loved lamb stew, Grawp knew this for certain.

”Are you dim, brother?” Wukos’ voice bounced again. ”We coulda buy a whole herd for two fingerlings this size!” His brother spared the hoots and hollers this time around, but Grawp could feel his brother’s mockery even from so many paces away. ”Let’s say we purchase some mining irons, huh? You know the axe and the shovel and the hammer. Then we head down to Pinellas Mine and we whack and we hammer and we knock those walls right down. Listen to the humans scream.”

”How ‘bout new leathers? Mine could use tending to at the very least.” Grawp hedged toward something more... proactive.

”We don’t ‘ave enough for new leathers Grawp! Do you even know how gold works?”

Grawp’s face twisted. ”But we has enough for a herd of sheep? Do you know how gold works?” Grawp had fastened his skulls firmly to his belt by now. He took a threatening step toward his brother, chest as broadly puffed as a wooing pigeon. Enough was enough. He’d just leave his short brother behind and have his own lamb stew. Alone.

It wasn’t until now that Grawp realized the songbirds had stopped singing. The forest of Feren was quieter now, much quieter. The forest only got this still when there was a predator lurking about, and Grawp suddenly felt a tightness in his chest. He was listening for the warble of the blackjay, of the shrew trills of the grit robin. But there were no sounds coming from the trees. A lonely, wheezing wind picked up and carried a distant something with it… A distant stamping of hide against the decay of the forest floor.

”Didya hear that?” Grawp asked.

”Hear what? I dun’t hear nothing.”

It was quiet again for a breath’s length, but then the sound picked up again. It was a sort of thumping that snapped twigs and shook tree leaves. It started far off, but Grawp breathed in again and the thumping followed, sounding a little louder this time. A little closer.

Wukos shoved Grawp hard in the shoulder. ”What’s the matter with you brother?!” He was looking at Grawp like the goblin had lost his beans, as aghast as his expression had become. His brother held his eyes open so wide that Grawp could see the whites around them.

”I thought I —“

There was a thunderous sound from within the treeline. Heavy, pounding steps stomped closer to the rivers edge, making the earth quake beneath the goblin brothers' feet. Two sets of goblin ears fanned open to pick up the sound, to make sense of it.

Grawp was suddenly shroud in shadow, as a towering, solid structure blocked the suns view. Grawp’s chin lifted to it. A wall of crudely crafted hides and furs rose up for what seemed like an eternity, each piece patchworked together worse than the last. The beast towered above the two goblin brothers, and nearly 11 feet of rank hides ended in a rubbery, brutish head. Grawp blinked once, and the ogre met his eye. It snarled, and a thick string of saliva dropped squarely in the middle of Grawp’s head. It was warm like hot syrup, and it flattened the tuft of hair, running lazily down the side of Grawp’s cheek.

The ogre rose a meaty arm, as wide as a ham. The streaks of morning light still crept through the treeline, giving the ogre and the mallet he held an angelic, shimmering halo. Before Grawp could react the mallet came down like a hammer striking an anvil, and the wood struck Wukos’ temple, effectively cracking the goblin’s skull like an egg.

Grawp gasped, choked. Unsure if he needed to wretch or run. His brother’s expression was frozen, just as glassy eyed and full of intense terror as he had been before the ogre struck him. Blood leaked from Wukos' temple, effectively mixing with something clear, and thicker. Grawp fought his brother’s gaze but felt the icy hold of horror. His feet begged him to leave, but he could not flee from his brother, not when he was looking at him. Not when Wukos was staring at him with those dark, dreadful eyes.

Grawp’s fingers curled more tightly around the gold sliver in his hand, but the ogre was quicker than the goblin, and Grawp was stunned as the mallet came down again, this time cracking against his own temple. There was a ringing in his ears, a brief pressure in his head. And then, there was not. It felt as though his head had melted into liquid, and the contents of it poured out to the ground just as easily as wine into a glass.

And then it went dark for Grawp.

Bagut grunted. He wiped his mallet against the dirt, before dropping it to his side. He snatched the first goblin by his ankle and shook it. A satchel fell, and three crispy feathers fell with it. Bagut picked those up, fastening one behind each ear, and the third down his shirt. He shook goblin one again. A thimble fell. A bone shiv. Unrolled tobacco papers. Bagut would rummage through it all, sifting through the dirt and picking this thing and that. He dropped goblin one.

Goblin two was grabbed by the ankle too. Bagut shook it. Out fell glass beads and clay beads. They glittered in the sunlight. Something hollow and melodic shook from a leather belt, and Bagut would pluck the belt from goblin two. A handful of mole skulls clinked and clapped. Bagut grinned, and the ogre groaned with delight. This sound was good sound. He would pull the belt over his neck, and drop goblin two.

Kneeling, Bagut sifted through the dirt. He would pick up the glass beads. He would pick up the red, and brown, and green clay beads, but he would leave the blue. There was a reflection that caught the light, and he would pick up the shiny. It was hard like metal, but it did not make noise. It could not be strung from twine, and it could not hold smoking leaves in it. He would throw it in the river, and he would stomp away.

Old June 16, 2018, 01:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Sass Trash

We're doing another Camp Nanowrimo for July! Let me know if you want to join and I will add you to our cabin.

Old June 16, 2018, 08:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Aelyria's Nutcracker

Moss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious Superhero

Holy moly...it was pretty effective last time...I'm keen.

Posting Status: I've been very busy of late! Working hard to (slowly) catch up. [13.08.2018]
Moss Oktra'rek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018, 08:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
We’re all mad here

Brix'taielle Hialu is a benevolent Adventurer

Go make a project and gimme your username.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: