Old August 9, 2011, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Vermilion Skies

Jacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious Superhero

Scroll [Tech] Chat Service Update

Hi folks,

This message is a heads up to the community to let them know I've performed some mad science on our Chat application and it's changed markedly. For regular users, this means don't panic, it's supposed to look like that... and for those having difficulty using Chat in the past, I heartily recommend giving the new Chat a try and providing some feedback.

From a technical note, rather than requiring Java, the new application is Flash-based and is thus more generally compatible for users. If you were having problems with the Java-based chat, the new Flash-based application should run much, much smoother.

Known Issues:
  • Confirmed: Dropdown navbar menus (like "Quick Links" and such) have their menus appear BEHIND the chat window and are thus inaccessible.
  • Unconfirmed: Firefox users may not be passing some startup parameters and may need to manually specify their user name. If you see this behavior, please report it in this thread.
Any feedback you have on the new chat application, feel free to provide in this thread. Keep in mind that certain things are outside our scope to affect, and other things may just come down to being practical (I can change the color scheme, for example, but I also know that no color scheme will make everybody happy).

Thanks!
--Jacob
Old August 10, 2011, 05:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Vermilion Skies

Jacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious Superhero

Server-side support for some of the more exotic names our characters have has been added. The apostrophe, however, will continue to be omitted but should not impact your capability to connect.
Old August 10, 2011, 06:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mythic

Wealth Tier: Sterling
S'Lon is a benevolent AdventurerS'Lon is a benevolent Adventurer

I can't get into this new chat from work, which is perhaps not surprising, but I do get an error message stating that you need to set a flash policy daemon at irc.muforge.com (port 8002)
Old August 10, 2011, 09:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Citizen

Kklyxssa is an upstanding Citizen

FYI, I just connected using Firefox and had no problems whatsoever. Really liking the upgrade, thanks Jacob!
Let its strength submerge your soul.

Eunesian | CIR | Threads:Every two to three days. Currently available for another peer-mod thread! 1/2
Old August 10, 2011, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Vermilion Skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by S'Lon View Post
I can't get into this new chat from work, which is perhaps not surprising, but I do get an error message stating that you need to set a flash policy daemon at irc.muforge.com (port 8002)
Yeah, that would be indicative of your IT's port blocking at work... policy daemon's alive and well, but no direct client of any flavor'll connect you as long as that's going on, since you can't even get to the part where you connect to the server if it isn't passing the policy daemon port (which is a Flash thing and rather routine for Flash code written in version 10).

It's a good reminder that I need to get together instructions for alternative connection methods still. While no direct clients can get around that, mibbit.com is pretty good at running around all of this because the mibbit client channels all this fun stuff via common ports and operates as a middleman, something waaaaay too computationally expensive for any client we can provide here on a consistent basis.

Thanks for the heads up!
--Jacob
Old August 12, 2011, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Former Staff

Ladon is a benevolent AdventurerLadon is a benevolent Adventurer
Hi

Just a heads up. Had issues with chat in that if I pressed back space I was thrown off chat and back to my home page. It got really annoying last night

Using XP, safari. Not sure what can be done. May look to upgrade through to Win7 in the coming days to see if that cures it
Old August 12, 2011, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Adventurer

Dulisa Polk is an upstanding Citizen

Oh! This explains it all! I was not able to get into the Java chat, but now I have no problems with the Flash chat. (Well, except for the bit about not knowing what anyone is talking about. ) Thanks for fixing it!
Old August 17, 2011, 06:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Vermilion Skies

Server has gone offline unexpectedly, in case people are having issues connecting. Will post an update once the situation has changed.

GO POST! =)
Old August 17, 2011, 06:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Saurid Shaman

Pescado Branch is a glorious SuperheroPescado Branch is a glorious SuperheroPescado Branch is a glorious SuperheroPescado Branch is a glorious SuperheroPescado Branch is a glorious SuperheroPescado Branch is a glorious SuperheroPescado Branch is a glorious Superhero

I yawned, and it broke *cries*
"Remember Us"
Avatar thanks to it's respective artist.
Old August 17, 2011, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Momo Hinamori

Sarah is a glorious SuperheroSarah is a glorious SuperheroSarah is a glorious SuperheroSarah is a glorious SuperheroSarah is a glorious Superhero

So you are telling me I actually have to do real work today, and not be distracted by chat... but... but... I was doing so well at achieving zero productivity!

Old August 17, 2011, 06:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Former Staff

Tercet is a benevolent AdventurerTercet is a benevolent Adventurer

I often suspect that Jacob hits the kill button on the server once in a while, completely out of the blue, and tells us it's unexpected downtime just to see if it causes actual posting to rise.
Old August 17, 2011, 06:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Veleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious Superhero

We're a damned science experiment! :P

SoF

RL Update (March 19th, 2018) - On an indefinite hiatus, as 2 month old kid/working full time is taking up all free time.

Old August 17, 2011, 06:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Former Staff

Khaine is a benevolent Adventurer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tercet View Post
I often suspect that Jacob hits the kill button on the server once in a while, completely out of the blue, and tells us it's unexpected downtime just to see if it causes actual posting to rise.
This, so much this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
GO POST! =)
Pfft, I'm totally just gonna go play Minecraft instead, you do realise this?
Old August 17, 2011, 07:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
We're all mad here...

illusion is an upstanding Citizen
D: I've been wondering why this has happened for the past hour or so! (While at the same time doing research for some posts, but yeah) Ah well, no distractions for me now! ^.^
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: