Old March 9, 2016, 08:44 PM   #226 (permalink)
Sass Trash

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Liahal is a glorious SuperheroLiahal is a glorious SuperheroLiahal is a glorious SuperheroLiahal is a glorious SuperheroLiahal is a glorious SuperheroLiahal is a glorious Superhero

Am I the only one having withdrawals from chat? #theshakes

Jun 21, 2017: 20:56 RosieKyrillos: you ALWAYS get the power

Old March 9, 2016, 09:09 PM   #227 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

Sounds like we need another thread where we pretend it's like chat.
Old March 10, 2016, 02:48 PM   #228 (permalink)
Vermilion Skies

Jacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious Superhero

Sorry about that, it should all be back online now. Please report any issues that crop up, as the back-end server running the service bumped up two major linux versions.
Old September 13, 2017, 03:03 PM   #229 (permalink)
Vermilion Skies

Jacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious Superhero

Arrow Chat Service Discontinuance

And here's an announcement long in the running that probably won't come as a terrible surprise to most.

The official Aelyria Chat IRC is being discontinued and will close on September 18, 2017.

IRC was already a rather antique protocol to use for a chat system when I volunteered the use of a server for it back in 2009, but stable, comprehensive, robust chat applications with the same feature sets and more were by-and-large non-existent at the time. I had the free CPU cycles on a server to run it without spending a single cent of Companionship money to make it happen, so run it we did.

I no longer have the spare CPU cycles on a server to throw at maintaining an IRC server, and keeping it running as kernel updates and myriad other changes in tech have happened in an era of applications such as Discord and Twitch just isn't worth it anymore. Everybody has their preferred services and clients and they shouldn't be shackled to needing an IRC client or to use a web client that could theoretically become non-functional with your next browser upgrade.

There will be no officially mandated central chat going forward. Individuals are welcome to set up their own communities on applications like Discord. Keep in mind that setting up and joining these communities is something of your own volition and that what goes on in them, as independent entities, are not bound by any rules of this site. You are expected to police your own behavior under your own terms. Our rules and enforcement are for things that we provide and maintain, and we are not providing or maintaining a chat service after the discontinuation of the current one.

The biggest potential impact in my view is the lack of a realtime service for new player Q&A. I am hoping people will continue to be active in the Welcome and Questions forums to render this a moot concern.

Thank you to everybody who has used Aelyria Chat in the past eight years. =)
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: