Old July 12, 2011, 12:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Fire & Ice

Wealth Tier: Adamantite
Tiyribi Andares is a glorious SuperheroTiyribi Andares is a glorious SuperheroTiyribi Andares is a glorious SuperheroTiyribi Andares is a glorious SuperheroTiyribi Andares is a glorious SuperheroTiyribi Andares is a glorious SuperheroTiyribi Andares is a glorious SuperheroTiyribi Andares is a glorious SuperheroTiyribi Andares is a glorious SuperheroTiyribi Andares is a glorious SuperheroTiyribi Andares is a glorious Superhero

Though the letter was dressed and sealed with the heraldry of the Administrate of Centripax, it didn't come by official courier. From all appearances, it was a very common communique and nothing of terrible import.

Sometimes, appearances weren't entirely deceiving.

The script was light and willowy and barely more than a few threads and thin lines on the page in many places. Yet the parchment was pristine; it had never been wrinkled or stained beyond the necessary lines created by folding it into a rectangular shape. The addresses were written in Common but the body of the letter was scripted in Esh'lahien and, from the few misplaced lines and dots, seemed to be somewhat hastily written without having taken the time to make corrections.

15 Ulyris, Era XVIII Post-Fractum
In the Regency of the Triumvirate Council.

To: His Exalted Excellency, the Lord Malkaer Andares, Regent of the Kingdom of Aelyria
From: Her Excellency, the Lady Tiyribi Andares, Royal Governor of the Administrate of Centripax

Brother,

Forgive me for being amiss in my duty and not writing you sooner. Life and its responsibilities have taken their toll. I pray that this missive finds you well and in good health, particularly considering the great upheavals and changes that have happened in the last few months.

Things are as well as they will ever be here. The dwarfen nobles do, and probably always will, resent me, but I've done and will continue to do what I can to soothe relations. All in Centripax seem particularly concerned about the Prince's abdication and what that may or may not do to the state of the realm. The memory of Empress Audrey and Julos the Mad is still too keen in their minds. They know well that, if conflict break out again, they will be among the first embroiled in it.

I do what I can to assure them that the government's authority will remain unwavering and steady, no matter the changes in head. Do I lie to them? I worry, Malkaer, that this may be too much. Is the establishment of the council lawful? Does it have the support of the old nobles and new creations alike to grant it actual authority, or is it just ruler in name only? And what of the Ancients? Will they not see this as an usurpation of their rightful powers? Or Diana and the Rite of the Aethercrown?

My apologies for putting such fears to word and pen, but I am greatly concerned about your well-being should this new ruling establishment not settle with the populace and consequences be exacted. I do not doubt your strength nor your ability to lead the Kingdom. I only wonder if those you intend to protect see the same qualities or will, instead, hate you for daring to try.

Be well.

Has your time in Aelyria Prime allowed you to learn anything new about the circumstances surrounding Archalen's demise? His death still haunts me.

My prayers are with you, brother. May Ioannes grant you favor in what you are intending to do.

Lady Tiyribi Andares
Royal Governor of the Administrate of Centripax

- CIR - Letters - SOF -
Old August 3, 2011, 06:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Adventurer

Cirandol Xind'ell is a benevolent Adventurer

22 Ioannes Era XVIII

Clad in the Dark Blue & Light Blue tabard of the Sapphire Guard, a messenger approached the front doors of the Lord Chancellor's door. He carried a single missive sealed in red wax, and surrendered it to whomever could deliver it to Malkaer Andares as quickly as possible.

The Earldom of House Xind'ell

2 Ioannes Era XVIII
Cirandol Xind'ell, Earl of Portshire
Palais d'Améthiste, Mavloix Arrondissement
Jaedaxia, Carmelyn Province

M'lord,

My name is Cirandol Xind'ell, 2nd Earl of Portshire and eldest brother to a man you once knew as Riconus Xind'ell. While I was not present at Palais d'Améthiste at the time of his passing to receive your condolences, allow me to finally convey my sincerest thanks for your kind words.

In fact, it is because of my brother that I write to you. While I loved Riconus, I always knew him to be a boy who attempted to portray intelligence far greater than his actual own. No greater evidence of this is needed than to observe his partnership with men like Geoffrey de Lylles... my family personal advisor, Xavier, informs me the banker has been arrested for corruption but knows not of the his fate. I only hope you would see to his execution and thereby remove House Xind'ell's shame of his association.

On account of de Lylles' actions, it's my understanding that House Xind'ell's principal account in Frigid River has been frozen, a certainly reasonable precaution. However, I wish to meet with you in the hopes that we may resolve this dilemna outright, and am prepared to make the concessions necessary to prove to you and the Regent's Council that House Xind'ell remains a family of loyal warriors, not bent criminals.

I imagine you oversee a monumentally busy schedule, which is why I wish only a few moments of your time to discuss and diffuse this situation. Should you reply to my request for an audience at your earliest convenience, I would be tremendously grateful.

... And just on a final note, my Regent... I understand Esme de l'Avaree, wife to my late brother, petitioned for the same audience and has not be seen since. We fear she has offended you in some way, and in all likelihood, sought your lock to be removed from the account in an attempt to dry the family of wealth, as her quick departure from Jaedaxia would indicate. Please let me reinforce with the utmost conviction that Esme de l'Avaree does not represent the Earldom of Xind'ell, and certainly does not master the House. As my brother's successor, I alone represent the title bestowed to the Xind'ell name and will account for any of the actions committed in the past.

Yours,

Cirandol Valmaxian Xind'ell

Old August 30, 2011, 11:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Steel
Alexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious Superhero

Ring Guess who's coming to dinner.

Ioannes 49, Summer, Era XVIII after the Aetherfracture
Anno Regni Triumviri Rei Publicae Constituendae Primo

A Cencoris of the 1st Empress' Own Legion personally hand-delivered the following missive to its addressee after midbrightening.

His Most Imperial Excellency Malkaer Andares
Imperial Chancellory
Aelyria Prime

Secrets :

C R Q A

Ministry of War,
49th Ioannes, Summer, Era XVIII after the Aetherfracture

Unto His Most Imperial Excellency Malkaer Andares
does His Exalted Excellency and Imperial Grace
The Duke Sapientia, Consul of Aelyria
Minister of War and Lord High Admiral
bid fair greetings from Aelyria Prime.

Most Imperial Excellency,

Perhaps it may please Your Most Imperial Excellency to deign to pracenda at the Ministry of War this darkening, in order to discuss great matters of state concerning this Aelyrian realm.

I extend to you my felicitations of the highest esteem.

In honor bound,

Sapientia.
Consul of Aelyria
Minister of War and Lord High Admiral.

Ducor Navarch Alexis Sapientia, Imperial Navy (Ret.)
[CIR] [Glory of the Conqueror] [SOF]
6/21/2015 - Weekend posting.

"So few have ever accepted the leadership of this land, and survived it." ~ Governor Elanara Al'lende

Old September 29, 2011, 04:35 AM   #19 (permalink)
Mythic

Alexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious Superhero

Ring Apocalyptic Revelations.

Tempris 1, Autumn, Anno XVIII after the Aetherfracture

A Cencoris of the 1st Empress' Own Legion personally hand-delivered the following sealed missive to its addressee after midbrightening.

His Most Imperial Excellency Malkaer Andares
Imperial Chancellory
Aelyria Prime

Secrets :

C R Q A

Imperial Ministry of War,
1st Tempris, Autumn, Anno XVIII after the Aetherfracture

Unto His Most Imperial Excellency Malkaer Andares
does His Exalted Excellency and Imperial Grace
The Duke Sapientia, Co-Regent and Consul of Aelyria
Imperial Minister of War and Imperial Admiral
bid fair greetings from Aelyria Prime.

Most Imperial Excellency,

In light of these recent troubling events, I should like to convene a session of the Council of Regents on the morrow, the 2nd of Ulyris. No doubt we all have pressing business that may take up our time this brightening. Considering the state of disrepair of the arcane defenses of the Palace, might I recommend my offices at the Ministry of War for our discussions?

I extend to you my felicitations of the highest esteem.

In honor bound,

Sapientia.
Consul of Aelyria
Imperial Minister of War and Imperial Admiral.

"So few have ever accepted the leadership of this land, and survived it." ~ Governor Elanara Al'lende

Last edited by Alexis Sapientia; October 28, 2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Because Ulyris is so last season.
Old October 4, 2011, 05:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Famous

Alys is a famous HeroAlys is a famous Hero

A short letter without a seal, written on letterhead and with excellent penmanship, arrived during the first few cycles of Autumn, Era XVIII:

Office of the Imperial Proconsul of the Aelyrian Empire

To His Imperial Excellency Malkaer Andares,

Most Humble Greetings to Your Excellency. As the recently-appointed Aide to the Imperial Proconsul, I should very much like to get to know the views and requirements of all of the Imperial Regency vis-a-vis the Office of the Proconsul. If Your Lordship could find it convenient to meet informally with me at a time of your choosing, or alternatively direct me to a member of your staff who could help me understand your needs and wants, I would happily attend at any time. It is my most earnest hope to work once more to aide the proper functioning of the Imperial Government.

In the Service of the Empire,
s/ Alys, Lady du Aestas
Aide to the Imperial Proconsul
Old November 6, 2011, 11:21 AM   #21 (permalink)
Mythic

Ring Mortifying Malkaer.

Continued from here.

Tempris 2, Autumn, Anno XVIII after the Aetherfracture

Is was easy enough to cajole Palacrisis back into the carriage, which soon sped off to its next destination, the Imperial Chancellery. Already stewing in light of these recent revelations, he remained silent and unusually tense, his eyes flickering left and right through the carriage windows, expecting some sort of assassination attempt to take place then and there, and thereby completely eliminating the entire ad interim Imperial leadership during this period of yet-again Regency in this tumultuous land, supposedly blessed of the Gods, that was the Aelyrian Empire, the supposedly greatest nation on the largest continent on this Telath.

He closed his eyes momentarily and sighed. That was not entirely possible. He'd made provisions. He'd written them down, and given them to be executed in the event of his untimely death and disappearance. His memories then turned to his Liselle, and he all but hid his head in his hands, his conscience reproaching him as always, while Duty and Reason attempted to counter. In the end, his heart always won the argument.

On their arrival, Alexis barely waited for the Proconsul before marching up the steps, his pace quick, his pacing very determined, if the look on his face was anything to go by. Repeating the procedure as at the Ministry of Justice, this Conciliar Regent, Imperial Minister of War, and concurrent Imperial Admiral only paused at the anteroom outside the primary offices of the Imperial Chancellor and self-same Conciliar Regent.

His aide's name, was Endaramon-something, some alliterative and unpronounceable name that was a quirk of the Eshalahier culture, no doubt.

"Where is Regent Andares? We must speak to him at once regarding a situation of the greatest importance and urgency."

Old November 7, 2011, 10:54 AM   #22 (permalink)
Mythic

Palacrisis D Jones is a famous HeroPalacrisis D Jones is a famous Hero

A merry go round to the offices of state had not been on his agenda for that brightening but it had to done. Despite the fact that no one had a clue where one regent had disappeared too and possibly where another had picked up his coat tails and skedaddled south for the winter.Which apart from the beauracratic nightmare of trying to run a government when at least two of the main players were missing it did appear that the whole situation was just starting to play on the remaining regent’s nerves. Sitting quietly opposite Alexis, Pala could hardly fail to notice the ferrety looks his boss was giving the outside world. Alexis had shouted at the poor civil servant who had been left in the lurch by Duncan Scythe. As if the poor dwarf was personally responsible for the every candlemark of the lord regents life.

True in his area of responsibility his own nursemaid the redoubtable Pericles Dumbarton had tried that game on, burying him in reports until his desk groaned with the mishmash of Aelyrian official life. It was good to be in the know but what Pericles was doing was handcuffing him to a desk and arranging every facet of his life. It was an old ploy one which Clarisse had tried in his early brightening’s in Trysvale but he had learned and put his foot down firmly. Pericles was now under orders to give him only what he needed to see which was a double edged sword arrangement Pericles would give him what he needed to see but not necessarily what he wanted to see. But at least a semblance of order existed within the consulate and Palacrisis was ready to give up a little autonomy in favour of keeping his officials on side.

Yet no such arrangement had existed in the chaotic Ministry of Justice. The regent Scythe made his arrangements told no one and left to look into issues that interested him .The idea of letting his own staff know what he was up to and where he could be contacted was an anathema to the wildcatter! So everyone was in a mess simply because he refused to keep a diary!

But none of that was seemingly the reasons for the Regents jittery mood , his silence was unusual. Alexis could talk the hind leg off a donkey and had opinions about everything that he enjoyed sharing with whatever unfortunate was within earshot. He was remote, cloaking himself in a veneer of rage. It was so unlike him!

Pala leaned across

“Excuse me you seem to be a long way away. This business with Duncan and Malkear is bad enough but we need you to keep up appearances what is the matter? Can I help in any way? It is lonely at the top of the tree my friend but if it helps I have a good listening ear and a selectively poor memory.”

What ever was said or not said they still had a duty to perform and Alexis did not beat about the bush with the uncomfortable official who was tasked with the unenviable task of keeping track of the second regents movements.

Old November 10, 2011, 12:52 PM   #23 (permalink)
Former Staff

Tercet is a benevolent AdventurerTercet is a benevolent Adventurer

The young Esh'lahier who gate-kept for the Andares regent gave the frantic Sapientia the most helpless of looks in response. "I'm afraid seeing His Excellency immediately is quite impossible, Your Excellency; he left several months ago with no instructions as to how his affairs should be handled and no record of his destination or itinerary," came the eerily calm answer, as if it had been well-rehearsed for this very moment.
Old November 11, 2011, 07:05 AM   #24 (permalink)
Mythic

that’s torn it ! thought the silent Palacrisis we are up a creek without a paddle!

Milo in his wisdom had not foreseen a situation like this he had made provision for the loss of one regent but not two!

Quote:
In the event of death, resignation, or incapacitation for three consecutive months of a member of the Council of Regents, the remaining members shall, by unanimous consent, appoint a citizen of Aelyria to fill such permanent vacancy, or temporary vacancy in the case of incapacitation. That appointee shall take oath of office before the Council and thereafter exercise all powers and privileges granted to a member of the Council of Regents

Pala took a deep breath and then took Alexis to a quiet corner.

“Right you are in a hole and you do not need me to teach you to suck eggs. Malkear and Duncan have deserted the ship of state. Article 4 of the addendum to the Acts of Imperium covers one vacancy not two. You are the Council of Regents! You can argue that as there is no provision for this situation ….But you are the remaining member of the Council of Regents and as such you on your Jack Jones are the majority voter! it’s a mute legal distinction which balances on the letter “S” in the addendum members, member. Whatever you choose to do legal experts are going to have a field day debating your next decision but now is the time to make some form of decision that allows the governance of the empire to continue.”

“You pay me to offer advice so I will give you some options.”

“You could decide that the needs of the nation are tantamount and that continuance of good government transcends fine legal distinctions of whether one man can represent a majority. In that scenario you appoint two members to the Council of Regents and stand ready to face down a howl of quasi legal opinion from your enemies!”

“The second option is for you to say that the letter of the law and not the spirit must be preserved. You can argue that one man will never stand as a majority and as such the Council of Regents has failed. You would resign and then stand as Margrave and form a cabinet of all talents drawing from your friends and your enemies. That cabinet would vote on decisions and you would have the casting vote.”

“The third option must be articulated …..You resign from office put Motito as head of the military and go and find your wife. Forget the empire and it’s problems and do what you should have done when she left. Your position is close to being untenable at the moment whatever you choose to do. Occasionally a call to abandon ship is better than drowning under your enemies guns.”

The passion in both body and voice was increasing he leaned over the admiral his long beaky nose nearly touching the regents face.

“Whatever option you choose you there is only one priority and that is to restore the throne. The council of regents was at best a stop gap measure, you know this. I know this. You are minding the shop until a new incumbent of the throne emerges. It’s a raw truth but one we have to face up to! Frankly this fiasco with Duncan and Malkear only serves to emphasise that this Aelyria needs a strong hand at the tiller. I am sorry for speaking so plainly to you but this situation cannot continue any longer. Make a decision Alexis and do it quickly.”

“It does not really matter if it’s the wrong one I suspect that whatever you do will be seen as wrong by someone but this great nation needs some leadership and if it’s the leadership based upon compromised law then let it be. Circumstances dictate the decisions men made and if those circumstances cause you to stretch the spirit of the law to breaking point remember that you did so not for your own benefit but what you consider to be the good of the nation. That is honour and duty, my friend, honour and duty!”

Last edited by Palacrisis D Jones; November 11, 2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old November 11, 2011, 09:04 PM   #25 (permalink)
Mythic

Ring Circumstances, Decisions, Honor and Duty.

The shock on hearing that Duncan Sythe had been incommunicado for quite some time now did not faze Alexis. Sythe, after all, had this penchant of inscrutably wandering off for extended periods to engage in matters arcane or otherwise. That he had no left word was troubling, but not exactly the end of the world.

This recent news, on the other hand, of Malkaer Andares having - as Palacrisis had put it - similarly surreptitiously fled the ship of state struck Sapientia as the crudest form of irony and malice. Perhaps he had it coming. They had, after all, blindsided Malkaer with the news of abdication and his appointment to this Council of Regents. Andares had accepted, but almost grudgingly. Alexis had this sickly feeling telling him that Andares had sprung this surprise almost on purpose.

He'd never experienced a mutiny, nor barratry in his time in service. Now, the loose tiller of the ship of state was in his hands - where rocks and shoals were aplenty, at a part of the map where there indeed be monsters.

For a moment there, he thought he heard the Gods in aeternia chuckle with amusement at the schadenfraude. Sapientia had to close his eyes momentarily as he felt his heart beat faster and cold sweat break upon his forehead. He had to extend his right arm to steady himself against the wall and breathe deeply, as he felt his face go pale.

He'd anticipated this long before - again, breathing in relief that he'd had the foresight to include those provisions - but he'd never expected it, in the same manner a pious individual knew evil existed in this world, but did not quite expect to see Jorel face-to-face.

There had been times when his ego longed to possess absolute power over all of Aelyria - it truly was any politician's dream, as well as that of anyone who served under the standard and in uniform - to be, some brightening, the Commander-in-Chief, sole repository of Imperium.

Now that this was realized, Alexis Sapientia could only feel the deepest pit of fear and dread, recognizing that the Fate of the Aelyrian Empire was solely in his mortal hands. Mention of his missing wife and his pent-up frustration at not having a clue where she was was sufficient to bring him to near-tears. Alexis found his hands starting to shake of their own accord, his knees buckling. With deliberate, steady, steps, he made his way to the nearest chair, hiding his face in his hands for a moment, before running his fingers through his blonde-brown hair.

"Oh, my Gods..."

How on Telath had Milo faced this doom alone for all these eras? No wonder all the Emperors were deemed insane!

To the disinterested observer, it would have seemed that Sapientia had lost his mind, as he began to chuckle to himself, first quietly, and then in earnest. Only observation of his ceruleans would reveal that it was not ill humor but exasperation that was in his mind. His long study of the laws, traditions, customs, and Historia brought snippets of statutory clauses and provisions running through his mind. Most importantly the Instrument of Government, which he himself had written at his sovereign liege's command, one brightening in Melora earlier in this era.

It seemed as if the Telath had stopped spinning, as all in silence watched the last Conciliar Regent seemingly lose his mind. After a time, Sapientia looked up, and in a steady voice, issued his first command as sole bearer of Imperium - and indeed what a burden it was.

"Templeton. Take this down."

The wizened private secretary, who had unobtrusively accompanied their small party of uniformed folk as they wandered around the Forum, took vellum, quill, and black ink, usurped part of the table of the Secretary-General of the Imperial Chancellor, and began to write in accordance with his principal's command, while the other legionaries looked on as silent witnesses.

"At the Council of Regents at the Imperial Chancellery, Aelyria Prime. I, Alexis, Duke Sapientia, of the Council of Regents of Aelyria, Imperial Minister of War and Imperial Admiral, having been made known of the incapacity of His Most Imperial Excellency Duncan Sythe, Minister of Justice, of the Council of Regents, as well as of the incapacity of His Most Imperial Excellency Malkaer Andares, Imperial Chancellor, with both periods of incapacity by absence having exceeding three consecutive months, I do hereby proclaim, determine, certify and declare the existence of two temporary vacancies in the Council of Regents of this Aelyrian Empire. Date and seal. Sign witnesses."

Having finished writing, Alistair Templeton then beckoned all present to individually sign their names below, starting with Palacrisis, then with himself, the esh'lahier, and such other uniformed folk present. When this was done, Alexis stood up to take quill in ink, penning his name at the appropriate location, while his private secretary melted crimson wax with a nearby candle. The still-soft blood-red drops coagulated, and sentence permanently passed with the impression of metal, leaving an image of a winged primus lion sejant.

Alexis then looked up, and met eyes with one man, as Templeton continued to write.

"Palacrisis Jones, Baron Austerfield, Proconsul of Aelyria. In accordance with Article the Fourth of the Instrument of Government, Title XXI of the Articles of Imperium, as revised; I, in the name and by unanimous consent of the currently constituted Council of Regents, appoint you to fill a temporary vacancy in the Council of Regents, and charge you to exercise all powers and privileges of said office effective immediately."

Templeton continued scribbling, the sound of the quill the sole interruption to the growing tension in the room.

"Do you accept this grave responsibility?"

There was a fourth option, but Alexis Sapientia wasn't ready to share that just yet.

Old November 12, 2011, 12:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
Mythic

So the die was cast it rattled and spun across the playing surface of fate and landed on a number that was neither win nor loss. For some that number on the die would mean ruin for others victory and the spoils but for the man from Trysvale it simply meant that he faced a choice.

Pala was nothing if not a realist, he knew that he was not the best of men! He was not the brightest politician in the empire. He was occasionally paranoid when it came to apparent threats to the nation. He was fiercely loyal to his friends and to his nation. He was clever where cleverness made up for his lack of scholarship. His long beaky nose was an early warning system where B/S was on the agenda. He was not one to bend the knee to those fine folk whose bloodlines could be traced back to the beginnings of the annals of history. He was insatiably curious, tried to be open minded and judged people for what they could do not what they looked like.

Maybe not the best package to bring to the honour of leading the nation but it was what he had to offer. True he had operated in so many different areas of the nation in a bewildering number of roles all designed to give him the tools to at least make some half decent attempt at this latest honour.

Could he work with Alexis they were different, the Regent Sapientia from a long standing minor noble house, he had the education, the nobility of frame and figure a career in the military and all the other intrinsic basics that had driven him to this very role that was taxing him to the limit. Whereas the much older man had started at the bottom and dragged himself up the ladder rung by rung. This Palacrisis, a bastard, a nobody, married to a noblewoman whom he had not seen for three eras. Older than his ordinations by a cruel act of the gods, could such a poor excuse for a man actually have the temerity to accept what was the pinnacle of a career even if it was only for an as yet unknown period of time?

Once a new and proper empress or emperor was on the throne this honour would be resigned in front of the new incumbent. If such a personage desired him to serve in another capacity he would, If he was dismissed in face of a new guard he would go with his head held high and with the knowledge that what poor efforts he had employed were meant to be in the best interests of the nation.

There was one other thing …..He was needed now, certainly it was by the means of dead mens shoes. He was a second choice, not the natural successor of heroes and the great men and woman that had bestrode the nation for eons. Pala knew what he was a fair administrator, an astute judge of men and a bloody minded dogged plodder!Yet for all the honesty all the self criticism he could not help a frisson of pride as the words were spoken and noted down for posterity …….How could he refuse? It was not going to be forever. He was a safe pair of hands always ready to do the heavy lifting when called upon it might only be for a few months but …the regency, it would look good on a curriculum vita and might even be enough to coax his wife out of her hidey hole!

“Aye Regent, I do. It has always been an honour and a privilege to serve the nation and its diverse peoples, if I can offer something of value then I do so freely and in service to this great Aelyria of ours.”

The formalities had to be observed and he scratched a signature on the hastily prepared documents of state.

It was done he stood above men now by dint of oath and signature but that was far from his mind

“Right thank you Alexis for the honour but shall we get to business? We need to complete this ménage a trois. I have a couple of names but as you are the incumbent perhaps you might like to start. I have two names that might serve one controversial one not so!"

Last edited by Palacrisis D Jones; November 13, 2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old November 13, 2011, 01:26 AM   #27 (permalink)
Mythic

Ring Vacancy, appointment, acceptance. Fiat.

It was done. Part of it, at any rate. Palacrisis was correct, there was one more position that needed filling, not to mention various other vacancies scattered the length and breadth of the Aelyrian Empire, from the Council of the Crown to the furthest Governor's office in Mystique. Those could wait, those could keep.

For the meantime, the continuity of government had been maintained, though there were many that would (and could, and in fact had) claimed that the thread of legitimacy linking Emperor Valerian Constantius to this present-brightening Council of Regents was so long frayed as to be almost imperceptible. Alexis could always argue likewise, citing chapter and verse that made every action de jure, but the common people, easily swayed by words of others, did not often take too kindly to purely legal principles that were often too sophisticated for their ears.

Sapientia, recovering from his earlier shock and distress, could only take the Baron's right hand in his in a tight handshake.

"The Sacred Three bless you."

After this, he retreated once more to lean and sit upon the edge of the nearby desk belonging to the Secretary-General of the Imperial Chancellery, crossing his arms, and oblivious to the eshlahier's complaints, if any.

"Very well, this session of the Council of Regents continues. The only candidate I had in mind has been appointed. Who else shall we consider to fill this other temporary vacancy?"

It was a most eerie question. Who else were they to share the powers of Imperium with? Who else could prove an able steward of the Empire, until the Gods deigned the anointment of a new Sovereign of Aelyria?

Old November 13, 2011, 05:49 AM   #28 (permalink)
Mythic

The pawns had made the first move and the lines of play were open for the movements of powerful pieces.

“Very well let us begin the business of government! My choices for the final position lie between two men both well known to us, both men have shown intelligence one comes with a high reputation the other is more dubious, indeed we might even call him an enemy! But as this regency is only temporary and has but two aims … One to raise an individual to the throne of Aelyria and secondly to govern the nation as well as we can in the interim period. I am inclined to keep my friends closer and my enemies closer. So I will name my controversial choice Lord Roscarnis de Lylles….

Pala paused and raised a hand to attempt to stop the spluttering of indignation that must surely come from his co regent.

“Hear me out, to raise the candidate to the throne we must have unity of purpose. The nobility are flexing their muscles. They are angry about the fact that the Council of Regents has excluded them from the seat of power. The decision to withdraw the maiestas power from the consuls has been met with condemnation. We do not need or want any element within the society of Aelyria to be unnecessarily unhappy we need them focussed and willing for the Council of Regents to act for all sections of the nation.”

“He will have demands but we can go a long way to accede to them if we consider rescinding the question of maiestas on the appointment of provincial officials. I was never that enamoured on that policy! It appears to have been taken in haste and anger! So what I would like to do is retain the Office of Proconsul and ask the consuls as a matter of good practice to notify my office of any such appointment. With the proviso that the Council of Regents should rubber stamp any such appointment. It is a small step back in the greater scheme of things and only for a hopefully short space of time. Any new monarch will have their own ways of doing things and we will follow their orders.”

“As a side issue I am throwing an Empire Day bash on 9th Kalendryas and will announce in the Herald that consuls should put forward suitable candidates for honours, medals that sort of thing. It is well within their remit to do this and tips the hat at their remaining powers. If I could announce a lessening of their ban on appointments in the same article it would send a strong message that the Council of Regents acts on behalf of all Aelyria.

Roscarnis is brave and very bright he would represent the nobility in this council and might well go a long way to holding back the threat of civil war. The majority vote aspect of the Triumvirate would hold back any excess decisions Roscarnis might be wanting to make. His inclusion distasteful as it might be would send a clear message that the Council of Regents serves all Aelyria, It would also probably be better if this matter was handled by me as my first duty that way you would appear to be distanced from any policy u turn”

He shrugged meaningfully “Of course he is just as likely to refuse the offer, he was wounded by the dismissal his pride is likely to have taken a blow and the call of the nobility to line up against us might just be too strong!”

“Which brings me to my second candidate Moranor Andares. His reputation, intelligence and experience is without question. He has taken on Enamoria one of the more difficult provinces and by all accounts has made his position there his own. He would take his relatives place and lends a little continuance to Milo’s wishes on the matter of the Council of Regents. Moranor is a safe pair of hands and an elf I would stand by.”

Enough of talk, he had made his pitch the pieces, some dangerous, others highly effective were on the board all that was left was for the moves.

Old November 17, 2011, 09:30 AM   #29 (permalink)
Mythic

Ring Oaths.

The discourse was politely listened to, the Baron's words and wise counsel echoing through this anteroom of the Imperial Chancellery, heard but not listened to by the collective uniformed entourage who now stood quiet post, among them the aide of the missing Regent and Imperial Chancellor, and the other, a certain Sir Alistair Templeton.

He saw his liege almost apoplectically bluster in protest, but hold his tongue as the reasoning was provided.

"Absolutely not! Roscarnis de Lylles?! Why not acclaim a Xet as rightful Emperor of Aelyria right now? If you think for one moment that I've left my senses completely, I'll have you know..."

His liege the Duke Sapientia was then seen to calm down - though his eyes remained suspiciously narrowed - his head soon nodding as the name Moranor Andares was mentioned.

"I would go with Moranor Andares. He is, as you say, a well-respected individual who has the confidence of both experienced politicians and the people..."

A noisy clearing of the throat interrupted the proceedings. A rather piqued Sapientia turned his head to see his thin, wiry, and immaculately-attired private secretary bow before the two, a folio in his hands.

"Begging your Most Imperial Excellency's pardon, but the Baron Austerfield must swear the loyal oath before entering into office..."

He produced copies of the relevant decree for their perusal.

"If it please Your Most Imperial Excellencies, I have the oath right here."

Sapientia found himself nodding, the look on his face almost asking how he could have forgotten such a basic tenet. The answer was easy enough - he had a lot of things on his mind, both matters of state and more serious private tribulations.

The written copy was presented to Palacrisis to read and recite, and thereafter sign.

Once that was all done, a more contemplative Alexis would be seen thinking very deeply.

Old November 17, 2011, 12:30 PM   #30 (permalink)
Mythic

2nd Tempris ERA XVIII

The Oath

Sir Alistair Templeton aide to Regent Sapientia was known to Palacrisis but that knowledge came to him via the acerbic tones of his own man Pericles Dumbarton. It was apparent that the two senior bureaucrats did not exactly see eye to eye some old dispute when they were far more junior in grade had started their feud and it had carried on as they rose through the ranks. He did not really care it was a private thing between two aging men and had little significance. All that Palacrisis knew was that Templeton was just as good a senior civil servant as his own Dumbarton. He knew when to listen and when not too!

But the moment of truth was insisted upon, the forms had to be observed, words spoken in a dusty office were still as strong as if they were declaimed in open court before the throne of Aelyria. Maybe the showman in Pala might have preferred the later but even in this grey building full of grey people the words he had to speak held power and magic. Pala bowed his head to the aide as he was handed the oath and he quickly scanned the short paragraph before pulling himself erect and speaking in a quiet clear deep brown voice.

“As the Gods are my witnesses, I swear fealty, and pledge my eternal obedience and devotion, to the service and duty of my sole and rightful Sovereign Monarch, the Emperor or Empress Regnant of Aelyria, and his or her legitimate successors, my industry forever his or hers, my loyalty beyond question.”

“ And that I will, as I am bound by faith, duty, and sacred bloodpledge, defend in thought and action the Citizens of Aelyria, its Crown and its Dignity, preserve the Sacred Three, and ensure the institution of Lex, Ordo, and Iustitia, in the execution of my office and duties in the Council of Regents according to Title XXI of the Articles of Imperium, as revised.”

He slipped the paper inside his jacket pocket, this simple paper would stand framed above his head in the consulate as a constant reminder of the words and their solemn meaning.

It was done for better or for worse, signatures were signed, papers were blotted and history yawned as one man left and another signed on. He had reached the glass ceiling his long career was done. The throne was not for him it would take a far more talented person than poor old Pala. He was merely a caretaker but that was enough …..

He nodded to Alexis and Alistair and then bent low to whisper in Alexis ear
“It had to be said, I knew you would not bend on the matter, I am glad for Moranor or sorry for him I am not sure which. So let us break the news to him as soon as we can.”

Pala slipped into silence but any interested observer might have noticed an age old gesture, a tightly clenched fist shaken up and down in rapid succession.