Go Back   Aelyria > Community > Support > Feedback

View Poll Results: So, what do you think of the Longest Winter plot?
Love it, hope it keeps going into next season! 1 4.17%
Another season will give the plot's threads more time to carry out 2 8.33%
Meh, it doesn't affect me one way or the other 6 25.00%
It was a good idea, but we should have moved on this season 8 33.33%
Hate it, it's bad enough I have to deal with winter & recession IRL 7 29.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old June 15, 2009, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Legend

Riconus Xind'ell is a famous HeroRiconus Xind'ell is a famous HeroRiconus Xind'ell is a famous Hero

Longest winter getting out of hand?

Hey everyone,

I just thought I'd ask, out of pure curiousity, what everyone thinks of this whole Longest Winter plot. As one might imagine from the thread title, I'm personally not it's biggest fan; although I think the idea was very creative at first, it's now been extended to another season... therefore, another season of zero-profit business, and creating new threads around the plot, the majority of which likely won't be finished before a new season begins, essentially making the effort a waste. It kinda makes me want to just stop playing for a bit (my PC can't move around anyways, plus there's no point in trying to make my business profitable while under a few feet of snow), and wait until the next season when I can finally interact freely.

I mean, I thought the Canadian winters were too bloody long lol. Does anyone happen to agree with this? Is there anyone that sees it from a different perspective? If so, let me know, I'd love to hear anyone else's opinion on the matter
Old June 15, 2009, 03:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rattttt

Nimh has disabled reputation

There was already a thread about this *nods* It's buried in the Feedback forum somewheres.

The new longest winter is less intensive, thankfully. You can travel. There's no heavy snows. It's just cold.

I am also not its biggest fan, but you know...do your thing. Travel. Go have fun. Whatever!
Old June 15, 2009, 03:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Notable

T`ssa-Ka'lsss is an upstanding Citizen

I think we've already covered this in someone elses thread of the same line of thinking.

Its a bit of a squeeze but in the end it'll pan out when the seasons line up better that way most people will actually have an idea of what time of year it is when posting. Gods know in the previous years I never knew if there was sunshine, snow, or if we were in spring or fall. It got kind of confusing especially with trying to match up the IC calendar to the OOC calendar to determine what time of year it should be.

So if a few months of inconvienience will straighten it out, it wouldn't be the first time it has happened, probably won't be the last time some large game altering change is made.

We'll live and seriously, there are still a hundred different things one can do in the winter. If my giant gecko can do it, I am sure you can

Semper Fidelis
Old June 15, 2009, 04:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Steel
Mixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious Superhero

I think it's cool in theory, but the practical effect for me was that I spent the season doing little but self-modding, which always seems like dating your ventriloquist dummy. If we get to travel this season then I'm happy.
Old June 15, 2009, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Ashandra Gha'Nalis is a famous HeroAshandra Gha'Nalis is a famous HeroAshandra Gha'Nalis is a famous Hero
*Nods in agreement with Mixie*

Also, am I the only person noticing the lack of a Quick Reply? *searches for it in vain*

Ashandra Gha'Nalis
And I will reiterate: I want no salads
prepared by Ashandra. ~ GM Trouble

Old June 15, 2009, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mythic

Mixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious Superhero

I've got one. Can I lone it to you?
Old June 15, 2009, 05:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hero

Dzrg is a benevolent Adventurer

Why the longest winter? Why not the longest spring? True that a good role player can make the best of a bad situation, but quite a few role role players are not that good. Has anyone noticed a posting upsurge?

Some GMs have six feet of snow and impassable roads. Other GMs have simply have cold weather. This a bit like the pox, some cities were hit hard, other cities were almost unaffected.

Riconus has a good point about the affect on businesses. There is not only the immediate affect but when the spring does come, some players will be wondering what the grandfathered extended winter threads will do to them when they are finally finished.

There could have been a more user friendly way to adjust the seasons. However, Aelyria has coped with worse than this and managed quite well.
Old June 15, 2009, 06:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Notable

Guillaume LeBeau is an upstanding Citizen
In my humble opinion, there's never a bad situation. There's never a moment where RP is being restricted. There's only bad roleplaying. Most PC's are always sitting around waiting and wanting mod direction to steer them, but the truth is, as your PC, YOU should go out to create YOUR own fun, instead of waiting around for others.

Be proactive!

At least, that's my opinion.

Last edited by Guillaume LeBeau; June 15, 2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old June 15, 2009, 06:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hero

Eri'Lariel Gil'dae is a glorious SuperheroEri'Lariel Gil'dae is a glorious SuperheroEri'Lariel Gil'dae is a glorious Superhero
You know, I don't mind so much about the winter plot. What I wish is that they would just stick to the announced dates. The new Chronosynch wasn't supposed to begin until tomorrow, according to Caerydd's announcement.
Old June 15, 2009, 10:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
civis aelyrianus sum

Alexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious Superhero

Ring Third Sun

I'm wondering what effect this would have on ordinations, if ever. If you recall, when the 3rd rock from Telath disappeared, it messed up aging, but now...

Ducor Navarch Alexis Sapientia, Imperial Navy (Ret.)
[CIR] [Glory of the Conqueror] [SOF]
6/21/2015 - Weekend posting.

"So few have ever accepted the leadership of this land, and survived it." ~ Governor Elanara Al'lende

Old June 16, 2009, 02:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Former Staff

Caerydd is a benevolent AdventurerCaerydd is a benevolent Adventurer

Ordination still equals 1 age. More about the calendar IC is coming

Lastly, Eri'lariel, the Chronosynch was supposed to change on the 15th, and according to my clock it changed last night around 9 or 10ish, on the 15th, and it is currently the 16th here. Given our international nature, you can expect chronosynchs to be up to 12 hours either side of the chronosynch 'date'.
Old June 16, 2009, 09:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Hero

Eri'Lariel Gil'dae is a glorious SuperheroEri'Lariel Gil'dae is a glorious SuperheroEri'Lariel Gil'dae is a glorious Superhero
I guess that makes sense, Caerydd, but then, do we get a "grace period" for those of us who are in backwards countries? Or do we need to just plan to end them a "day" early here?
Old June 16, 2009, 10:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Former Staff

I don't think anyone should be too overwrought about a thread coming an hour or so after the chronosynch, but if you're worried about a thread you were planning to post I'd poke your local GM
Old June 16, 2009, 10:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
Former Staff

Anyways, you should find that it is easier to travel now, the main inconvenience is 3 months of fluid time compressed into one and a half, but this will be the last time we will be doing this (if I can help it.)

Roll on August
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: