Old June 3, 2009, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Champion

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Annael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious Superhero

Winters cold all on your own...

Hi all. Right, might find myself in a boat without a paddle soon, but here we go.

I was just wondering if I was the only one no liking this whole long winter thing?

I mean, it's gone really quite, to the point that almost no one is posting where I am right now and I don't know if i's just the time of year or if it's course everyone has just decided to sit this entire thing out till the 15th?

Well, I'm not gonna say to much just yet, but suffice is to say, I don't like it and wondered what everyone else thought.
"These are my spoken words."
CS ~~~ SOF
I'm currently looking for Rangering or Healing XP if there's a chance it can be granted.
Old June 3, 2009, 07:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Luminary

Wealth Tier: Bronze
Rafael LeBeau is a glorious SuperheroRafael LeBeau is a glorious SuperheroRafael LeBeau is a glorious SuperheroRafael LeBeau is a glorious SuperheroRafael LeBeau is a glorious Superhero

it's been quite a while since i was active, but i'm pretty sure just before summer is always a busy time for everyone. finals, vacations, graduations, etc...
Old June 3, 2009, 10:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired

Dimnersti is a benevolent Adventurer
its a bit of a mixture I'd think, it tends to be a busy time RL for many a lot of shifting about and the like. But its also with the limited travel ic, the pc population is likely going to bunch up in a few areas.

well and it following two rapid fire one month seasons, a few probly find themselves in a similar boat as me, have simply fallen behind and cant be bothered to deal with the winter until we wrap up important grandfathered threads.
Old June 3, 2009, 11:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Steel
Mixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious Superhero

I imagine it is partly that a lot of players are college students and finals week is upon many of them. The fact that we can't travel has driven down my posting rate quite a bit though, I usually keep my threads up by having them in different cities and I can't do that this season. I'm the only actual player in the city I'm in right now, so it's been kind of dead.
Old June 4, 2009, 01:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Notable

T`ssa-Ka'lsss is an upstanding Citizen

given my PC race.. it soxxorz. I might be forced to awaken a secondary just to post more than self modded training.

Semper Fidelis
Old June 4, 2009, 01:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Luminary

Kenkuroi Mithania is a glorious SuperheroKenkuroi Mithania is a glorious SuperheroKenkuroi Mithania is a glorious SuperheroKenkuroi Mithania is a glorious Superhero

Oh well Annael I think its because you're an insane, daily poster that's why you're feeling it 'slow'

While most of us aren't capable of that kind of activity. I would classify those being able to squeeze in posting twice a week as 'very active' already.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 'inactivity' thing. I don't think it has anything to do with this extended winter at all. You will be bound to experience this in any season. And most epic adventure threads (and the more PCs involved the slower it gets) almost always do not finish on time. They always get GFed and completed seasons later, the fastest at least a season behind.

Retired 09/01/12 :<
Old June 4, 2009, 02:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hoarder of Treasure

Crimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious Superhero

I think it's an excellent time to finish up GF'd plots and do some good ol' fashion politicking in your home cities.

Plus, it's never been a better time to start an alt!
Old June 4, 2009, 03:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Champion

Annael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious Superhero

Quote:
Oh well Annael I think its because you're an insane, daily poster that's why you're feeling it 'slow'
Hehe, yeah, a fair point, but I know I post quite allot. But even that aside, I had these thoughts.

Quote:
Plus, it's never been a better time to start an alt!
No offence, but I don't want to start an alt. I only just started this one.

Ok, with all this said, my point was less about any dislike I had of the inactivity and more about what people thought of the 4 months in 1.5 months and this ridiculous snow? What do people think of this? It is this that I am unhappy with and the way in which it was hoisted upon us.

Quote:
given my PC race.. it soxxorz. I might be forced to awaken a secondary just to post more than self modded training.
Yeah, this seems little unfair to your PC.

Quote:
The fact that we can't travel has driven down my posting rate quite a bit though, I usually keep my threads up by having them in different cities and I can't do that this season. I'm the only actual player in the city I'm in right now, so it's been kind of dead.
These are more sort of the issues I'm talking about. I mean, this is not helping the PCs in any way.
CS ~~~ SOF
I'm currently looking for Rangering or Healing XP if there's a chance it can be granted.
Old June 4, 2009, 03:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Hero

Teyala is a famous HeroTeyala is a famous Hero

Eh, I dunno how I feel about it. It hasn't been all that bad for me, but I've always been a big fan of enormous catastrophes. It is sad if it's cutting down on peoples ability to RP though, that's not a good thing. I've seen a lot of plots stem from the winter though, so I'll have to wait to see how they pan out before I can say one way or the other. It's possible that some of these plots will be legendarily epic.

That said, I'm definately not sitting the Winter out. My squirrely people were surviving winters years before you smoothskins came around and mowed down all our trees :P. Lament your lack of a thick fur coat! Lament it!

Of course while I say that...the two Cities I hang out at are only like...1.5 brightenings away from one another or something, so it's not like I'm doing a massive amount of travel.

Avatar Copyrighted by Me, Boo Yah! | If you need a mod, feel free to PM me and we'll see what we can work out. :)
Old June 4, 2009, 04:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Champion

Quote:
Of course while I say that...the two Cities I hang out at are only like...1.5 brightenings away from one another or something, so it's not like I'm doing a massive amount of travel.
Well, in some places, we are told that travelling down the road might get you killed! And some PC skill development had been made almost impossible because of this.

Quote:
It's possible that some of these plots will be legendarily epic.
This would be nice, though with the lul, these are not gonna get resolved for a very long time (I'm talking if ever), which is normal in Aelyria I'm told. So I make this comment as an observation rather then a complaint. ;-)
CS ~~~ SOF
Old June 4, 2009, 04:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Former Staff

Caerydd is a benevolent AdventurerCaerydd is a benevolent Adventurer

Quote:
4 months in 1.5 months
It is important to remember that this is happening because of a remit handed down to the Leaders that the game calender holidays and months be made to match up with the holidays and months of the northern hemisphere in the real world. As Aelyrian months/seasons are completely out of sync with the real world, this made it necessary to either speed time up for a short period, or cut it from the game completely.

Well, it was 4 months in 1.5 months and 3 months in 1.5 months; or 7 months in 3 months. We chopped it down the middle so that people wouldn't get too bound up with FT. Also, the lack of travel should even out with the speed of time going by in game. For one of my PCs, she is spending the months holed up and not doing very much, passing the time with learning a combat skill and hoarding some non-perishable food. I have enough threads for a 1.5 RL month period, and an explanation as to why her activities are not so great as they usually are over such a 4 IC month period.

Lastly, the alternative was that we entirely remove a large chunk of time from the game completely, which we felt was not fair on players. To make up for time moving 'faster', the Winter Plot was implemented to balance out the amount of fluid time, and to give GMs a theme that was game wide, but something they could completely put their own spin on at a local level, without reliance on top level moderating. That said, GMs should be balancing the extra risks and efforts PCs are going to to survive the cold with appropriate rewards.

After these three months, the game will return to 'regular programming' of Chronosynchs every three months, and will hopefully never be disturbed again.

Silrosia is in an awkward situation because of it's recent history with the Veil lifting, and only recently been reopened. And yes, the timing with real life absences has not been great, but it is very hard to make any transition happen perfectly.

However the difficulties that some players have experienced are being noticed, and with the next Chronosynch fast approaching, we are looking into what we can do to make travel easier.

Last edited by Caerydd; June 4, 2009 at 04:23 AM.
Old June 4, 2009, 04:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Champion

Also, has anyone considered the effect this is going to have had on the animals of Tarleth? Hibernating creatures are all going to have woken up and died or died in their sleep, migrating creatures are going to have found themselves with nowhere to migrate too, etc.
CS ~~~ SOF
Old June 4, 2009, 04:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Former Staff

Caerydd is a benevolent AdventurerCaerydd is a benevolent Adventurer

It has been considered. While we are looking to provide obstacles to the players in particular (in the form of challenges to overcome), the state of local wildlife is something that that GMs, AGMs and players should definitely be looking into as a potential source for plots and repercussions.
Old June 4, 2009, 04:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Champion

Quote:
It is important to remember that this is happening because of a remit handed down to the Leaders that the game calender holidays and months be made to match up with the holidays and months of the northern hemisphere in the real world.
Yeah, ok, and here in lies my point. All this disturbance has been caused to do this. Why? What benefit to the PCs get from this? Unable to play for 3 months? That does not sound like a benefit to me.

Who realy cares if it's winter in Aelyria (A fictional world) while it's summer in one part of the real world? Not me!

Quote:
Lastly, the alternative was that we entirely remove a large chunk of time from the game completely,
Rubbish, quite frankly. Why not just have an unseasonal warming to have summer/spring/autumn or whatever come when it should rather then cripple so many PCs with an unmanageable winter?

Does that not make sense?
CS ~~~ SOF
Old June 4, 2009, 04:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Luminary

Kenkuroi Mithania is a glorious SuperheroKenkuroi Mithania is a glorious SuperheroKenkuroi Mithania is a glorious SuperheroKenkuroi Mithania is a glorious Superhero

Yeah, its been a while a major event/catastrophe effecting the whole empire/kingdom and not just a province or city happened (unless you would classify Milo's ascension to the Crown as a 'catastrophe' )

The problem isn't the snow IMO, its the four months of FT squeezed into 1 RL month. I recalled adressing this issue in Syl's OOC thread, and dear Fox gave us the explanation of the 'whys' and stuff. The calender is being re-alligned supposedly, and this is just a temporary issue. The forthcoming seasons are expected to be 'working as intended' once this is over, I hope.

Retired 09/01/12 :<
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: