Old June 4, 2009, 11:00 AM   #46 (permalink)
Champion

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Annael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious Superhero

Quote:
Why not give them your log in and save time by letting them do your other posts for you too.
Yeah allright, grow up. What can your character do again? oh yeah, die of exposure cos he's cold blooded, you don't want any help? what you complaining here for then? Also, did all the magi in the land suddenly disappear? Guess what? My chars is a first level duid and he had to learn THAT just to do something useful. Having some sensible NPC activity is just common sense!

Quote:
In fact, most of the player races face little or no trouble in the weather but some delays and some food shortages that are more city to city related than character related
Tell that to Silrosia, but anyway. What about desert cities? They are going to be completely naffed without the supply trains coming in. 7 months is long enough for entire civilisations to die.

Quote:
Being inconvenienced is understandable, but given your character has the means to travel with little more than some padded clothing and a few days extra rations
LOL! Every time I step out my door I have to think I might die! This is in Sil, true, but others are recieving this attitude to.

Quote:
So the management should be forced to come up with RP ideas to circumvent the season?
Honestly? YES! In this circumstance I believe they should be doing something to make up for the horrific 7 month squish. This plot over a long proper period would be different, but I understand that would defeat the point of it in the first place. But with SO much time passing in such a ahort period, to play out a thread whereby you enable yourself to travel, most of your playing time has passed before you can assume you CAN travel on to where you want!
"These are my spoken words."
CS ~~~ SOF
I'm currently looking for Rangering or Healing XP if there's a chance it can be granted.

Last edited by Annael Gundisalvus; June 4, 2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old June 4, 2009, 11:42 AM   #47 (permalink)
Demon of Heaven

Charybdis has disabled reputation

I guess I am not entirely sure where all the angst is coming from, as far as the Longest Winter plot goes. >.< Then again, I tend to be rather insular as a player anyway, relegating myself to only particular areas, and thus find restrictions on travel time to mean very little in the way of restrictions on my RP opportunities.

As far as “resolving the season” issues goes, I can say that, as a GM that is attempting to do just that, I’m finding more frustration from PCs not joining or being proactive about the thread plots going on than I am with the season itself. Essentially, in my view as a moderator, I found the Longest Winter as a marvelous plot device that really spurred my creativity to make epic story lines for my PCs. I created them. And then very few joined them.

I am not a fan of OOC motivating IC actions, and I can say that I really do not think that this Longest Winter plotline fell into that category – it really served as solely an IC device and was not simply the Management Team “handing down” what they wanted and stuffing it through the throats of GMC and PCs alike. It was indeed meant as (and has served as, as far as I can tell) an IC device through and through. That said, I am not fond of the idea of “clearing up the Winter” simply because, OOC-wise, people do not like it.

There are ways to circumvent/solve the issues brought up by the plot. PCs just need to be inventive and proactive in finding them. I, as a mod, also need to be inventive and proactive in creating opportunities to do just that. I guess I am wondering what exactly irks you about this plot, what you think is broken, and how you think it ought to be fixed? For as both player and moderator, I like this plot a lot, because it’s opened gateways into epicness, of which I am always a fan.
Old June 4, 2009, 11:46 AM   #48 (permalink)
Notable

T`ssa-Ka'lsss is an upstanding Citizen

My complaint was more in regards to this being sprung on the populace with little forewarning to prepare for what was principally an OOC reason to line up the seasons, which in effect locked many PC's into a set FT, making it difficult.

Many of yours seem to be IC reasons that are completely character related and should be played out as such by those characters through interaction. Why should the arch-magi help? Did Milo order it? Are they all just good natured people? The mods set scenes and dictate results. The players move the story. Perhaps if you know of ways to get around, your PC should bring it up to the thane. Not post an OOC complaint that you are stuck in doors cause you don't own a thicker coat.

As for travel treads.. I know a GREAT many people who just "appear" under the premiss that not all travel is eventful and I seriously doubt that any who take the time to plan their travel before hand, taking into account the weather, would be forced to worry so much about the trip. Most mods are concerned with their cities, not always with how PC's got there.

As for the handing over your PW.. that was out of line and I appologize.

Semper Fidelis
Old June 4, 2009, 11:55 AM   #49 (permalink)
Rattttt

Nimh has disabled reputation

Quote:
As far as “resolving the season” issues goes, I can say that, as a GM that is attempting to do just that, I’m finding more frustration from PCs not joining or being proactive about the thread plots going on than I am with the season itself.
Totally. Like whoa. All of the above. What is with that? I have so many open threads in my city (okay...like 3 plot-related) and yet I have only 3 people doing anything in 2 out of 3 of those threads. I know Ieffreon have more PCs than that and if I hear any of them complaining about having nothing to do, I will beat them with a stick!

(Although I will admit that, as a PC with Iseult, I'm not doing anything and probably won't be doing anything because nothing that is being presented plot-wise is relevant to my PC's personality and I won't force it.)
Old June 4, 2009, 12:10 PM   #50 (permalink)
Champion

Annael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious Superhero

Quote:
I created them. And then very few joined them.
This is the exact experience I had, which is what lead to to wonder if other's were no playing cos of the time compression/season or something. So perhaps this could be corrected?

Quote:
I am not a fan of OOC motivating IC actions, and I can say that I really do not think that this Longest Winter plotline fell into that category
I disagree here. Think that is fairly clear already though. There is not IC reason to suddenly compress 7 months and have the season shift. (Please not it's the combination of season and time compression that causes an issue for me, not nececerily the cold season alone)

Quote:
what exactly irks you about this plot, what you think is broken, and how you think it ought to be fixed?
It's not the plot, it's the time they expect us to deal with it in. It's just bonkers. In 4 months ifa GM runs only 3 Season plots, to be involved in all of them AND do anything else requires allot more then most can accomodate. So most chars seem to go into stasus over this period.

I wish I could follow a gateway into greatness, just there's no one to play with at the moment.

Quote:
My complaint was more in regards to this being sprung on the populace with little forewarning to prepare for what was principally an OOC reason to line up the seasons
Then we share this in common. This is one of my main concerns also, no that it's cold. Just it's all too much at once and of course, to do it with no notice just says to me they should also give the incovinienced PCs a 'way out' of some kind rather then simply leaving them stranded. Like your PC.

Quote:
As for the handing over your PW.. that was out of line and I appologize.
Ok, cheers. Takes allot to say that and most would not bother.

My issue is not with my char has nothing to do, but like I already said, this is all just not handled vary fairly. No?
CS ~~~ SOF
I'm currently looking for Rangering or Healing XP if there's a chance it can be granted.
Old June 4, 2009, 12:11 PM   #51 (permalink)
Champion

Quote:
Totally. Like whoa. All of the above. What is with that? I have so many open threads in my city (okay...like 3 plot-related) and yet I have only 3 people doing anything in 2 out of 3 of those threads. I know Ieffreon have more PCs than that and if I hear any of them complaining about having nothing to do, I will beat them with a stick!
Hehe, this is my point. There must be somethign wonge with this whole situation if people would rather not post then deal with this unwlcome(?) OOC fuled change.
CS ~~~ SOF
Old June 4, 2009, 12:19 PM   #52 (permalink)
Notable

Personally i think some of it has to do with confusion on the issue.

If most PC's don't understand OOC what is going on, how it effects each city, and how it'd effect them then they aren't likely to post.

Given that even some mods seem to not know those answers.. and that not many have given a brief "Alright kids.. this is how life is in (insert city)" it leaves a lot up to the PC.. and we all know PC's are idiots who are quick to expect the worse (heaven knows why when mods always talk of maiming).

So you end up with a lot of people who are taking the "sit and wait" approach, or the "Well.. I have been meaning to.." one.

Which leaves a lot of dead mod plots. I know I would have loved to get in on Chary's big plot myself.

Semper Fidelis
Old June 4, 2009, 12:35 PM   #53 (permalink)
Champion

Quote:
If most PC's don't understand OOC what is going on, how it effects each city, and how it'd effect them then they aren't likely to post.
I think this could be true a bit, as for instance, once this is over how will PCs that have or have not bothered to post really know where they stand?

Having said this. I know in Sil, Fox has made every effort to pretty clearly outline the situation... It just so happens that Sil's particular situation sucks the big one and people are not posting anyway. Though, Sil might not be a good example, cos it has a low player population cos it was closed off so close to it opening and so it could simply be that the 5 people there are bussy. :-p I accept this, but it's not a problem restricted to Sil it would seem.
CS ~~~ SOF
Old June 4, 2009, 12:37 PM   #54 (permalink)
Notable

For me it is simple.. long periods of assumed unecissary internal monologue dotted with numerous bouts of procrastination and the occasional potty break..

Semper Fidelis
Old June 4, 2009, 01:09 PM   #55 (permalink)
Retired

Dimnersti is a benevolent Adventurer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annael Gundisalvus View Post
Hehe, this is my point. There must be somethign wonge with this whole situation if people would rather not post then deal with this unwlcome(?) OOC fuled change.
that isn't a problem unique to this, getting pc's into plots is always a problem, many tend to be rather insular, they deal with their plots and hteir character story, so getting them involved in outside story lines is a constant struggle.

heck the same is true of gm's a lot of times, they deal with thier city story lines and their city development, getting them involved in larger scale stuff can be tricky. though hte resposne to longes winter has been fairly promising mod wise.
Old June 4, 2009, 03:06 PM   #56 (permalink)
Hoarder of Treasure

Crimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious SuperheroCrimson is a glorious Superhero

For all your suggestions, Annael, the GMs + GDs have already discussed in full We have something cooked up. You just have to be there when it happens.

There are plenty of plots around. I'm going to guess that your city has plots that could use your PC's help. That's the theme of this Longest Winter. Let's focus on the In Character, not the OOC
Old June 4, 2009, 05:09 PM   #57 (permalink)
Champion

Quote:
You just have to be there when it happens.
Hope I can be. If I'm not self-modded to death first. :-p

Yeah, there are plots, you're right, but no PC's posting in them. :-p This is the... *looses hope* Ok, I know this is not gonna change. I'll just continue writing my own stories to myself. While everyone else creates second, third and fourth PC's, waits it out or becomes the next Tony Blair.

Eventually the finally will come and the snow will melt and we'll all be one happy, defrosted, wildlife free family again.

Quote:
For all your suggestions, Annael, the GMs + GDs have already discussed in full
For the record. I don't have any problem with the GMs and GDs. They are all lovely fantastic people trying desperately to make best of a crappy situtation and posting like crazy to give what little of the experience the PCs are looking for out of the game. If the PCs cannot tell their own stories, these people are tryign to let them become part of the Management's one as best they can.

Night night, see ya tomorrow Tarleth!
CS ~~~ SOF
Old June 4, 2009, 05:57 PM   #58 (permalink)
Former Staff

Antares is an upstanding Citizen
I think you are not factoring in the fact that this is, looking at the history of the game, a very quiet period of the year for the most part. It will pick up over the course of summer, when people come back from vacations and so forth.

As with most things, due to exams and schools shutting for summer time will be limited for most people. Parents have kids to look after, students are studying, people go on hollidays... people spend more time outside in general, this all adds up to a decrease in activity.
Old June 4, 2009, 10:57 PM   #59 (permalink)
Luminary

Kenkuroi Mithania is a glorious SuperheroKenkuroi Mithania is a glorious SuperheroKenkuroi Mithania is a glorious SuperheroKenkuroi Mithania is a glorious Superhero

Sorry to sound negative, but honestly I don't see the need to raise an issue out of something that's happening temporary. Its like crying over a traffic jam caused by a road block thanks to whatever 'maintenance' work being applied. After a few hours stuck in the jam, it will be all over. In a month or two, this will be all over also.

And yes, reading through this thread, I'm beginning to see you're getting blurred between the issue of this "extended winter plotline and people not-posting-fast-enough/disappearing halfway through" thingy..... The former is temporary by the way, the latter is permanent!

I experienced this the moment I started playing Aelyria way back in 02. We kept spamming TTT in our threads for mod attention, and yes too, I won't deny I've been one of the many guilty for walking out of threads and leaving it stalling. It has always been the bane of adventure threads, plotlines and the now obsolete travel threads and its not an issue that IMO is worth discussing anymore. Its just one of those imperfections of Aelyria that we have to accept, as reality hurts, like the fact we have other stuff to do specially in real life that takes precedence over posting in a forum, and there is no such thing as a perfect game.

And No! Extended winter plotline is the cause for people not being able to post is totally irrelevant! This is just purely coincidence. Coincident that now is the period where people are busy with exams etc etc as mentioned. Coincident that previous season you had a whale of a time speed-posting compared to this season. That, my friend, is actually rare. Probably, it was because Syl just reopened thus there was a sudden rush of activity in a bid to set the city up. Now, I would say the pace is 'back to normal'. As I said, posting at least every 2-3 days is very fast already!

Retired 09/01/12 :<
Old June 5, 2009, 03:32 AM   #60 (permalink)
Champion

Quote:
Sorry to sound negative, but honestly I don't see the need to raise an issue out of something that's happening temporary.
I do not call 3 months of inconsiderate interruption to play a temporary thing. That is longer then the subscription I bought and quite frankly, I see no reason to pay for a service where the player experience is treated in this fashion. People not playing is fine, they have lives and I don't expect them to do anything they don't want to do.

For all them people posting once of even twice a week. Over this period, they are expected to have the 15-20 posts, maybe across 3 or 4 threads (tops I would say from looking at the current pattern) over the 3 month RL period, represent their characters actions for a 7 month period?

Meh, whatever.
CS ~~~ SOF
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: