Old June 4, 2009, 09:29 AM   #31 (permalink)
Former Staff

Caerydd is a benevolent AdventurerCaerydd is a benevolent Adventurer

Okay, the whole travel thing

1) The further away from Silrosia you are, the more mild the weather
2) It is difficult and dangerous to travel, but not impossible. No one is going to pounce on anyone for fudging it a bit. You might not be able to hop back and forth, but travelling to other locations within reason is possible in an entire 4 month period - it is likely to be more expensive and take a lot longer for the most part. If your own GM is away, the GM of your destination city might be able to help you with working out reasonable travel times.

And yes, I do agree there have been some unfortunate coincidences in regards to timing, some GMs have fared better than others when it comes to opening up new/closed locales.
Old June 4, 2009, 09:41 AM   #32 (permalink)

Glasstress

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Iseult Fluersdotter is a glorious SuperheroIseult Fluersdotter is a glorious SuperheroIseult Fluersdotter is a glorious SuperheroIseult Fluersdotter is a glorious SuperheroIseult Fluersdotter is a glorious SuperheroIseult Fluersdotter is a glorious SuperheroIseult Fluersdotter is a glorious Superhero

It's harder to travel when cities are closing up their gates, not letting people in or out hahah

Unfortunately, people seem to have taken the plot in the vein that the weather started to be super bad early on in the season (I've seen the panic start in mid-Immanis in Carmelyn...and I don't know why - it seems premature). Not close to Sil, no, but hard hit by snow and thus their gates are closing so that no one can get into the city from the countryside. Limiting? Yes, but I can understand why they closed up gates, too.

But a random comment about this being an opportunity for business-minded folk and politicians. I totally agree on the politicians part and obviously politicians are taking advantage of that, their activity increased. I don't agree so much with the business, though. Trying to survive does not good business make when your business is more decorative than useful - Especially when your supplies come from mines that have closed down and from coastal cities nowhere near your own city. (And especially when your city closes their gates.)

Anyway. That's just my two cents and points on what's going on and why some people feel holed up and stuck.

PS - I am not complaining (at all) about the decisions that have been made for my city (I adore my Amal-bug!). Just pointing out some reasoning and what not behind some of the feelings of those who may not be all gung-ho at the moment.

Last edited by Iseult Fluersdotter; June 4, 2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old June 4, 2009, 09:52 AM   #33 (permalink)
Former Staff

*nods* all great points. Thank you Iseult!
Old June 4, 2009, 09:58 AM   #34 (permalink)
Notable

T`ssa-Ka'lsss is an upstanding Citizen

I think it is a plot to wipe out my species.

I mean, many are going to waken from hibernation far to early and no matter how you wrap a Saurid in furs, the inability to produce and regulate body heat is gonna mean a lot of frozen or starved lizards. This is going to seriously put a dent in the species.

As for the enjoyment factor, as I've said before, I hate winter months as they in effect become large blocks of wasted time (my own fault, I chose the species though far before the cold blooded thing became a disadvantage), especially increasingly gripping ones that produce fairly freak storms and temperatures.

All of which means I get to spend the next few seasons trying to locate a way to artificially create a portable method of creating warmth.... After the cold dissipitates

Semper Fidelis
Old June 4, 2009, 10:30 AM   #35 (permalink)
Champion

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Annael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious Superhero

Quote:
The benefits will mainly be to retaining new players in the long term
With little regard to the existing players or player experience, I will not likely be convinced that this was not just some decision made out of administration, which only means it will just happen again.

So, that aside. What can we do to fix this? Can this thread become one of solutions? We can still effect a change before the coming seasonal switch over. Perhaps even give someone that was not already a politician or survival expert something to do?
"These are my spoken words."
CS ~~~ SOF
I'm currently looking for Rangering or Healing XP if there's a chance it can be granted.
Old June 4, 2009, 10:32 AM   #36 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Steel
Mixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious Superhero

T'ssa, there are a few warmer places. I think that Eunisia is only in the 40's, and Demios has locally controlled weather. I'm not sure what's up with Candaceburg and their blessed weather, I haven't looked. Of course, I'm not sure how you would travel to one of those places.

As to the traveling thing, the one GM I've talked to about it seemed to think I would probably be in big trouble if I tried it. I could shop around, but it seems a little cheatish to just keep looking for a moderator that is less strict. Maybe I'll give it one more try though.
Old June 4, 2009, 10:38 AM   #37 (permalink)
Champion

Annael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious Superhero

Quote:
T'ssa, there are a few warmer places. I think that Eunisia is only in the 40's, and Demios has locally controlled weather.
Many of these places have closed their gates (as I understand it) to prevent the migration of all of Tarleth (which makes sense in practical terms) and so this is not a solution.
CS ~~~ SOF
I'm currently looking for Rangering or Healing XP if there's a chance it can be granted.
Old June 4, 2009, 10:43 AM   #38 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Steel
Mixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious Superhero

It's hard for an island to close their gates. If you have a boat, you should be able to get there unless their navies are shooting down boaters or something.
Old June 4, 2009, 10:46 AM   #39 (permalink)
Retired

Dimnersti is a benevolent Adventurer
well the whole goal of it and the like, honestly I ignore, a lot of decisions havn't made sense to me over the years, but hey, you try what you can.

That aside, it is a great time for travel threads, the poor neglected travel thread. and there are some good roleplay opurtunities that come along with it.

heh, the only things that realy bother me would be the timing, since as stated before the two rapid fire seasons left a lot of people behind, and now with this compressed amount of time and allready being fair behind, my pc is going to end up practicly an era behind on ft. I got more done while I was dead. It makes for extremely akward and dismotivating posting. then there is the logistics, oh god I hate the logistics being put into play by many in response to this, so inconsistent and utalizing sooo many assumptions.. heh though I know that one is silly, arn't many who realy care about those minor background and cultural details.
Old June 4, 2009, 10:46 AM   #40 (permalink)
Rattttt

Nimh has disabled reputation

What Mixie said.

I think the ratio of cities with closed gates to those with open gates is vastly uneven. I think the closed gates cities are in the minority (I am Iseult--I didn't mean to say all the gates were closing).

Ieffreon's gates are open. The only problem with Eunesia is the weather--lots of sea storms, hurricanes, very dangerous to deal with, that sort of thing. Booking passage would be pricey, but not impossible. And you can always be daring and take a boat out by yourself >.> You vs. the hurricane? Rawr?
Old June 4, 2009, 10:47 AM   #41 (permalink)
Former Staff

Quote:
That aside, it is a great time for travel threads, the poor neglected travel thread. and there are some good roleplay opurtunities that come along with it.
That is a fantastic suggestion, actually. There used to be so many of those.
Old June 4, 2009, 10:49 AM   #42 (permalink)
Notable

Well, personally while it soxxorz for T`ssa, my issue is that it seemed to be sprung on the PC's with little or no forewarning I know of.

This seems a bit bad simply because it was a purely OOC decision that has a mass effect on all characters as opposed to many plots that while empire wide, tend to by pass the every day citizen, giving some of us the option to sail under the radar, or just completely ignore it (as I do with EVERY political shift that gets made) because it has no baring on a character of my standing in the Empire.

Even some of the larger more encompassing plots can be passed through with little notice.

This however sort of forces the entire populace through a single hole and while some of these people have small bodies.. some of us are not so lucky and get stuck. So a little forewarning on some things that aren't really "plot" related, but will cause a ripple (or tsunami as it were) would occasionally be nice so we know somewhat how to brace our FT for it (in my case, hibernating while starting up a secondary) so we aren't put into the uncomfortable position of not being able to play in the hopes that some future player is less inconvenienced by what many of us have been used to for years.

Semper Fidelis
Old June 4, 2009, 10:52 AM   #43 (permalink)
Former Staff

Well, the month compressed is OOC, but the actual weather does have an IC reason shadowy movements behind it as well. Players in Lauryl and Arakmat are encountering related NPCs and sub plots.
Old June 4, 2009, 11:29 AM   #44 (permalink)
Champion

OK.

My suggestions of what should be going on to help players continue include stuff like...

Why have the big chiefs in the main cities not setup portals between major places for trade and passage?

Why can we not at least some reprieve from the winter? Seems every time we get any reprieve it just falls back in on our heads and more people die.

Surly there are a bunch of NPC archmage magi of some kind that can provide some kind of relief from the weather?

There has to be other ideas people have, since this is clearly not something the 'Management' are willing to let pass without this horrid winter continuing. So! How to we make this good again?
CS ~~~ SOF

Last edited by Annael Gundisalvus; June 4, 2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old June 4, 2009, 11:43 AM   #45 (permalink)
Notable

So the management should be forced to come up with RP ideas to circumvent the season?

Why not give them your log in and save time by letting them do your other posts for you too.

I agree that the longest winter is an inconvenience.. but what actuality do you have for limited posting but a lack of ideas or limited means?

In fact, most of the player races face little or no trouble in the weather but some delays and some food shortages that are more city to city related than character related in a lot of cases. The exception being all TWO of us Saurids and lets face it, the inconvenience of two PCs who are long haulers in the game is little or no matter in the grand scheme.

Being inconvenienced is understandable, but given your character has the means to travel with little more than some padded clothing and a few days extra rations, I don't see the big deal for you, or the vast majority of the player base. And Pesc is well holed up in his politics I believe, and I am a moderately slow poster so I can use the time to finally finish training threads that are 2+ years old.

Semper Fidelis
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: