Old June 4, 2009, 05:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Former Staff

Caerydd is a benevolent AdventurerCaerydd is a benevolent Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, ok, and here in lies my point. All this disturbance has been caused to do this. Why? What benefit to the PCs get from this? Unable to play for 3 months? That does not sound like a benefit to me.
I've been able to play? I guess I don't post as regularly as you either, I never tend to have more than 3 threads on the go at once per character as a player. And again, it depends what you mean by being unable to play.

We chose to go with a winter, rather than stupefying heat, and it may well turn out to be the wrong choice in the long run, but travelling in the scorching heat and travelling in ice snow are both equally risk-ridden in their own ways. For us, with the Time Bomb events in Silrosia, it made more sense at the time that the result would be a drop in temperature. You don't agree, and I doubt anything I say will change your mind, but that's not going to make this empire wide event suddenly vanish.

And fair enough you don't care that the seasons don't line up, and and as a veteran and experienced player I am happy with the calender as it is. But as a leader the decision to do this wasn't about personal preferences. It came up in Leadership discussions with Kaelon that holidays not matching up was an issue, and also that marketing wise it made sense to Kaelon and his advisors to make the calender easier to comprehend to new players. You may not agree that it is necessary, or agree with the reasonings behind it, but that's how it is. We are doing our best to return to normal programming as soon as possible, and I hope that many GMs and mods are taking advantage of the opportunities that the snow does offer. 3 months of discomfort for some long term marketing and understandability benefits, alongside the opportunity to allow GMs to do something massively themed but individual.
Old June 4, 2009, 05:53 AM   #17 (permalink)
Champion

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Annael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious Superhero

Quote:
The forthcoming seasons are expected to be 'working as intended' once this is over, I hope.
Yeah, I hope to. My concern is the attitude though. I hope this will be the last time or what's the chance of getting your characters into their own stories and lives.
"These are my spoken words."
CS ~~~ SOF
I'm currently looking for Rangering or Healing XP if there's a chance it can be granted.
Old June 4, 2009, 05:57 AM   #18 (permalink)
Former Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caerydd
After these three months, the game will return to 'regular programming' of Chronosynchs every three months, and will hopefully never be disturbed again.
Just to quote myself on that This has been a LOT of behind the scenes work, and once everything is in place I definitely don't want to put the players and moderators through this again. This was never an ideal situation, but we're doing the best we can with it, and I have huge gratitude for the moderators who have picked these ideas up and run with them.
Old June 4, 2009, 06:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
Champion

Annael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious SuperheroAnnael Gundisalvus is a glorious Superhero

Quote:
I've been able to play?
LOL! I'm not gonna be a pain and shout "So it's ok cos it does not effect the Leaders?" hehe, but please not there are PC, even in this very thread, that are having issues of this nature.

Quote:
I doubt anything I say will change your mind, but that's not going to make this empire wide event suddenly vanish.
Yeah, thanks for outlining that for me. I though for a moment I could change the world. :-p Anyway, should I just fall silent? Perhaps we should just let the people running the site and the world 'Manage' the life out of Aelyria till there are no PCs left to play in it? Yeah, that sounds like the best plan. :-p OR perhaps a little notice or even discussion could have been made about such vast changes. Like:

"Hi there! Do es anyone care that the seasons are out. Lets do a simple and black and white vote. Should we disrupted every bodies PC stories and play to align the time? This will involve... xyz. What do you think. Yes or No?"

That not make sence.

Quote:
3 months of discomfort for some long term marketing and understandability benefits, alongside the opportunity to allow GMs to do something massively themed but individual.
Ok, fine. I am silenced. This has all been passed down to make money. Understand. I only started playing a little while ago and the seasons did not confuse me half as much as anything else, but hay.

Just sets the scene for the events to come really dosn't it?
CS ~~~ SOF
I'm currently looking for Rangering or Healing XP if there's a chance it can be granted.

Last edited by Annael Gundisalvus; June 4, 2009 at 06:22 AM.
Old June 4, 2009, 06:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
Adventurer

Ayel'ryn is an upstanding Citizen
Okay, I think it is clear that you are not really enjoying the winter being extended, which is fair enough. Not everyone agrees with every change, there are always pro's and cons.

Some of the more regular posters are more affected than others, also due to the exams period activity always drops to a certain level. The two combined are possibly what irks you, and I am not going to tell you that you have to do one thing or another, but posting threads like this is not going to help you, if anything they will aggrivate you more than you were, as you hear opinions that either enforce your train of thought or hear ideas that oppose yours. In the end it is a thread that is centered around a negative thought about certain things in an open environment.

If you have concerns about the way descisions affect your character or the enjoyment of the game I would suggest addressing the leaders and GD's directly through a helpdesk ticket.

Narrator (Old Sayuri): At the temple, there is a poem called "Loss" carved into the stone. It has three words, but the poet has scratched them out. You cannot read Loss, only feel it.

CiR
Old June 4, 2009, 06:51 AM   #21 (permalink)
Former Staff

I didn't mean to sound snarky, but just as you are having problems, there are some people who are not. 'Your mileage may vary', as with any plot or attempt. I've had a lot of good and encouraging comments from players and moderators alike since we implemented this, so you may not be happy, but other people (not limited to me) have had good experiences. You can never make everybody happy, unfortunately, as much as I wish I could.

Yes, this is aimed at (in the long run) retaining both new paying and new non-paying characters.

I am sorry that your playing has been inconvenienced, but once the decision was handed down that the calender had to be both easier to understand and easier to market, we had to proceed as best we could, and I am extremely proud of the way many moderators have stepped up to the plate to provide interesting and varied plots for their players, and the atmospherics they have created in their cities.

As we near the half way mark, we are going to be conducting a review of the Longest Winter plot in the GMC to see how GMs want to proceed with their local plots, and it might be possible to alleviate some of your problems with roleplaying then.
Old June 4, 2009, 07:00 AM   #22 (permalink)
Former Staff

Just a quick note, anyone else who is having similar 'not having fun' moments to Annael, please let us know. It seems like a number of factors have combined to make this not work as well for everyone. As I've had very positive feedback, hearing from those of you who are not so happy with the situation will be helpful for us as we move forward towards the second half.
Old June 4, 2009, 07:21 AM   #23 (permalink)
Champion

Quote:
Some of the more regular posters are more affected than others, also due to the exams period activity always drops to a certain level. The two combined are possibly what irks you, and I am not going to tell you that you have to do one thing or another, but posting threads like this is not going to help you, if anything they will aggrivate you more than you were, as you hear opinions that either enforce your train of thought or hear ideas that oppose yours. In the end it is a thread that is centered around a negative thought about certain things in an open environment.
Point taken. I just felt that if nothing is aired, then how can things change. If I'm alone, that that's ok, but if not, then how else will the leaders and other players effect a solution if not to speak.

Quote:
If you have concerns about the way descisions affect your character or the enjoyment of the game I would suggest addressing the leaders and GD's directly through a help desk ticket.
I can say I have offered help vis this medium before only to find little in the way of genuine engagement. What is not open is not discussed.

Quote:
As we near the half way mark, we are going to be conducting a review of the Longest Winter plot in the GMC to see how GMs want to proceed with their local plots, and it might be possible to alleviate some of your problems with roleplaying then.
Just like to say... Thanks. I did not open this to rant in. only felt there was an odd quiet about the whole thing.

Quote:
Just a quick note, anyone else who is having similar 'not having fun' moments to Annael, please let us know. It seems like a number of factors have combined to make this not work as well for everyone. As I've had very positive feedback, hearing from those of you who are not so happy with the situation will be helpful for us as we move forward towards the second half.
I have a suspicion that people that are happy might say so (cos there's not fear of being shot down), but people that are unhappy might simply keep quite or just sit it out and not play.

Thanks for not shooting me down.
CS ~~~ SOF
Old June 4, 2009, 07:24 AM   #24 (permalink)

Glasstress

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Iseult Fluersdotter is a glorious SuperheroIseult Fluersdotter is a glorious SuperheroIseult Fluersdotter is a glorious SuperheroIseult Fluersdotter is a glorious SuperheroIseult Fluersdotter is a glorious SuperheroIseult Fluersdotter is a glorious SuperheroIseult Fluersdotter is a glorious Superhero

I don't know. With this PC, I am quite stagnant and sort of holing up for the winter. When everything your PC does is taken away for the longest winter and she's not the sort to go out and "solve" the problem (and doesn't have the skills to do so either), you sort of set yourself into a situation where you are bored and annoyed and just eager to have the season over with. I've settled into self-modding two threads to keep Iseult active, but I am otherwise just waiting for the winter to be over so I can -do- things again.

On the other hand, my other PC has plenty she can do. It's a toss up. On one hand I am in the same boat as Annael, on the other my alternate Aydyn is a Druid and has plenty to keep herself occupied over the Longest Winter due to a variety of things: kitten births and child birth (all set to happen regardless) and the fact that she's a Druid and can help people.

So I don't know. I guess your enjoyment of the Longest Winter depends on your PC. If your PC is entirely trade skill dependent, the routes and mines get closed off, the city gets closed up, and their attitude tends to be very not social and very disinclined to help solve things for the greater good (my PC tends to her own issues first and foremost, screw the rest of you who are having problems!!), you're going to be in a rut. My other PC does not have this problem. (And, unfortunately, Iseult just happens to be my favorite, so I'm like ERGH.)

I am sure there are ways to solve it. But August is only a little more than 1.5 months away, too, and that's not very long to wait for things to clear off, either.
Old June 4, 2009, 07:45 AM   #25 (permalink)
Former Staff

That's a really interesting perspective, Iseult. I always saw Longest Winter as an opportunity for tradesmen and politicians to really show their mettle, in order to survive, they have to find a way, yanno? But not every businessman has the same approach or personality towards such problems, and as moderators and managers we cannot predict how the characters themselves will react, so we can't know if they will rise to the challenge until it is there.
Old June 4, 2009, 07:53 AM   #26 (permalink)
Champion

Quote:
I always saw Longest Winter as an opportunity for tradesmen and politicians to really show their mettle
Agree with politics maybe, but there's not a tradesman or shop still open in Sil right now. :-p Also, not every PC can be the leading political driving force for their city. Though for them that do have a PC of that kin, it could provide an opportunity if they are able to post enough to do 4 months of politicking in 1.5 months.
CS ~~~ SOF
Old June 4, 2009, 08:05 AM   #27 (permalink)
Former Staff

Well, with the limits to travel there wouldn't be so much politicking possible beyond the local level. Silrosia has been particularly hard hit because of it's unique circumstances, though, it's situation is fairly unique.
Old June 4, 2009, 08:20 AM   #28 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Steel
Mixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious Superhero

I think that any time you put a limit on player action (like traveling) it's going to inconvenience some people. My only issue is that I'm currently the only PC in my city and due to real life issues the GM is not able to post regularly, so I'm really hurting in terms of playing opportunity. I don't want to make a big fuss, but it's really cut me down from my preferred level of 2-3 posts a day with this character to more like once every 3 or 4 days.

My alt's long term plans require traveling, and again conditions in the city she's in make it difficult to get all the threads I like to keep me busy. If it could warm up enough so that there was still snow on the ground but I could travel I'd be good to go, but unlike Iseult I am not patient and do not relish being forced to slow post until August.

Edit: I really don't get the "lining up playing time with real time" thing at all. There aren't the same number of months or days in the year/era, are you going to go with partial months in fluid time in the future? Duvel said it was to get the years/eras to line up, but why do we care about that? What is the benefit of this? I'm not complaining, I just am completely puzzled.

Last edited by Mixie Shadowmuffin; June 4, 2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old June 4, 2009, 09:14 AM   #29 (permalink)
Former Staff

It's partially lining up in-game holidays and in-game seasons with their real life counterparts rather than the actual months or days (the new calender will still feature 50 days to a month, for example.) The benefits will mainly be to retaining new players in the long term (once the change has been made, obviously), and making a bigger deal out of the game holidays in the future.
Old June 4, 2009, 09:23 AM   #30 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Steel
Mixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious Superhero

I'm not sure how lining up seasons retains characters, but I really don't want to make a big deal out of it. I'm sure you guys know what you're doing, I'm just easily confused.

I did want to add though that not allowing characters to travel is probably quite brutal on the new GMs who are opening in cities that didn't used to have moderation, and therefore probably didn't have many or any characters in them. I think that's why I'm the only one in my city.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: