Old January 21, 2017, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Legend

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Moranor Andares is a benevolent AdventurerMoranor Andares is a benevolent Adventurer

What's old is new

First let me say thank you so much for welcoming me back to the game. There have been a lot of changes but everyone's made me feel very welcome and helped me work out the new system; much appreciated! An old dog can learn new tricks.

The process has put me in mind of a couple of suggestions I'd like to make. The first is the return of an old function; The Herald. We used to have a forum for articles in The Herald which was a good way of communicating things across the Empire, whether factual or propaganda, and everyone could post to it. I know that we have the Rumour Mill, perhaps it could be part of that forum?

Another suggestion is something that I've seen in other games, where there's a subform for mail. That makes it easy to send communications across the Empire, and encourages people to do so. Again, something that could be in the same Rumour Mill forum, it if became the Written and Spoken Words forum or something similar.

A couple of things I've been thinking of recently, and which I thought might help the game depth. I am pleased to be back and always keen for anything that makes the game experience even more enjoyable.
Old January 21, 2017, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

IC-wise, the Herald's primary offices were destroyed when Medonia was sacked during the Xet Invasion, so there's an IC reason why there aren't any articles anymore - nobody's bothered to try and set it back up again, since printing presses are rare and expensive.

As for mail, I don't know that there's really a need for an entire forum for that sort of thing. Surely you could just send letters to the location thread that serves as "home" or wherever for the PC in question? Or an appropriate location thread for an NPC, if that's the case.
Old January 21, 2017, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Legend

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Moranor Andares is a benevolent AdventurerMoranor Andares is a benevolent Adventurer

That explains the lack of a Herald then! Handy to know, and another possible project in the future. Thanks.

The Mail subforum in this other game that I played was actually really handy. Given how much people travel around the Empire these days, it might be difficult to know where to send a person's mail, and they might not look for it in all the forums - this was the issue in the other game, which the subforum remedied.

It also meant that any response could be made by replying to the initial post, keeping the responses together. This was instead of having to hunt down the sender's location to post the reply, which would then be unattached from the original message. The system really streamlined things and made the mail a very functional part of the game.

Alternately, if the aim is to keep the number of subforums to a minimum, 'The Rumour Mill' could be changed to something like 'Written Words and Whispered Rumours' and then the one forum could accomodate rumours, mail, pamphlets, official proclamations and any potential future newspapers as well.

I think that this could add a lot to Aelyria.

Last edited by Moranor Andares; January 21, 2017 at 10:54 PM.
Moranor Andares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2017, 02:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Aim To Misbehave...

Maddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious Superhero

o.0

I can honestly say I've never really given this much thought given that none of my PC's have been prolific with writing IC. That said, I can certainly see how such a compilation would have merit in politics especially after seeing how Elle had to handle some Consul duties IC, and what the Imperial Forum largely consisted of when Milo and Alexis operated out of there.

Any forum modifications would have to wait until Jacob returned and made a decision, but this can certainly be flagged for his attention.

Random letters in locations at times was something I found mildly... intrusive, so I don't see the idea as a bad thing at all. But it would require an Admin around to make the call

Cheers, Maddyn
Maddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017, 08:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Vermilion Skies

Jacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious SuperheroJacob is a glorious Superhero

Oh suuuuuuuure, make me have to come up with what to do that'll work for this....

Here are the two needs that appear to need addressing here:
  1. Dissemination of IC news and opinion in a successor format to the old Herald.
  2. Protocol and possible centralization of IC character correspondence.
For the first: actually having non-Herald IC sources was something being left up to PCs to get off the ground, at which time I was going to look at if they were prolific enough to justify their own sub-forum "box". We wanted to see if folks were aiming to fill this niche without relying on proclamations on high to make it happen.

For the second: it has always sort of nagged me to see correspondence mushed into location threads because it's more difficult to hunt it down later when you do it like that and because correspondence chains can get messy when interthreaded with other chains. Ideally I'd want to have a subforum for correspondence and have a thread per correspondence chain. My one big concern doing it this way (other than the ever-present concern for having too many "boutique" sub-forums) is that people need a way to know they've got mail. If we were already on the newer forum platform I would readily set it up because newer forum softwares have tagging notifications to alert a player they're wanted in a thread, but that's a technical hurdle I don't have an elegant solution for; folks will have to make sure to leave a visitor message or PM to let folks know they have IC mail, for now.

What would folks like to see for both these things? Just slap down a couple sub-forums with basic ground rules? Is there something more needed that I'm not thinking of that would make this work better?

I have some more thoughts on the news thing, but let's see what everybody's needs are and then I'll lay out my concerns and hopes for it.

Thanks,
--Jacob
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: