Old August 9, 2015, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Adventurer

Kebra Negast is an upstanding Citizen

suggestion re navigating provincial borders

Fesian good effendi

I am impressed with the reordering of the Empire and the many new provinces that have arisen but am getting a little confused about which province lies next to another and where certain cities lie. For instance Nexus Prime appears on the Moonstone map (Bay of Kyathis) whereas Ziel Aerca appears on both the Lauryl and Centripax maps.

So does it matter then if I start a Ziel Aerca thread in the Centripax forum?
is there a way to cross link such threads back to the correct forum?

and can a small navigation key be added to the province headers indicating what the adjacent provinces are (maybe just hover over tags on the maps?)
Old August 9, 2015, 04:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Aim To Misbehave...

Maddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious Superhero

...sorry, I'm a little tired. I might not be understanding where you're coming from, so rambling inc!

Why would someone make a thread in Ziel Aerca rather than Centripax when the location is well within the white dotted borders of the Principality of Moonstone? With all core cities also listed in the briefing next to the map... which doesn't include Ziel Aerca.

Sooo... yeah, it rather does matter if you're making threads in entirely different regions. The old map had exactly the same issue because our Provinces aren't neat squares/rectangles. It would be like under the old Provinces, making a thread in Centripax but saying you're writing in New Coldmoon because of how the maps are arranged, in spite of it belonging in Enamoria and being on the other side of the visual border markers.

Cross-linking would result in so many redirects that why would we end up having separate Provinces at all o.0 You'd have to cross-link with 4+ Provinces if you were writing in Centripax (if not more...). That is just going to make absolute junk out of the forums I'm afraid when we're trying to reduce the baggage that's accumulated after a decade plus.

Umm, so yeah. I can't see that ever happening. Is this a visual clarity issue that is something we could adjust, such as making the white lines that segment the Province cleared or a different colour? If the maps aren't working, then they're not working - but short of cropping the 'dead' space outside the Province as a .png file, which is ugly, and makes it also harder for people to see what's adjacent to their region of RP for travel/trade/etc.

Nav key might be more viable. We're in the process though of doing the core/huge map (we, as in, not me, because I'm useless), but would it be worthwhile including a link in each province that directs to the big map for quick referencing?

Cheers, Maddyn
Maddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015, 06:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Adventurer

Thank you for the reply Maddyn
I think the Nav key would be great and yes to big map link too since I've had to reference the existing big map a few times this week to work out where I am
Oh the Map doesn't have Provincial Names on it either, adding these would be helpful too.

I can see the issue with the crosslinks and redirects so if that can't be done with a convenient tag scrap the idea entirely. I think back with the old city based system the issue didn't really apply, you just posted per city, its only now with location tagging in provincial forums that actually 'knowing' geography has become a thing.

The issue for me originally came up due to Imperia and the Bay of Kyathis. The Moonstone forum map doesn't show Imperia but it does show Nexus Prime.
That forced me to hunt out where Imperia had gone to (the wiki Map for Moonstone does include it) and then also check on which province Nexus was part of as I was intending to take a boat trip from Nexus to Imperia and didn't see the logic of writing two separate posts in different forums for the start and end of the trip, I eventually just tagged the thread as [Bay of Kyathis]

Anyway I'm also in a thread exploring Mystique (Lauryl) and on that page noticed that someone else had posted a Ziel Aerca tagged thread which is why I asked if that was 'allowed' or needs to be addressed.

Perhaps colour coding the provinces would be useful for that reason too

anyway just some thoughts
Old August 9, 2015, 07:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rattttt

Nimh has disabled reputation

I can look into Jacob adding a header at the top of the Telath group of sub-forums that includes an empire wide map and a province run down. Not sure if this is possible but I will ask. I can also add a link to the bigger map in the subform headers but I need to look into this without making it look like a silly and random addition.

The maps have borders, outlining where the provinces end and where they start. Adding in the province names might be useful but mostly just ends up as more name clutter on the map. You do realize that the images of the maps in each province include areas that extend beyond the borders. Can you not visualize the white borders line on the maps????? Is it really that hard to understand that the areas within the white borders belong to that province and the lands outside of those borders belong to neighboring provinces?? I'm afraid to ask what the problem here is...

Imperia is not presently rolled out with much of anything because the Arakmat province info is not as yet rolled out - there's reason for that IC. It's still undertaking peace talks with the Lamians. Imperia is in the Arakmat province. This is why it isn't anywhere. As Charybdis previously mentioned to you, posting in Moonstone for the time being is permissible.

Also, no, the wiki map for Moonstone does NOT include Imperia -> not even sure why you think that?? Moonstone's borders extend CLOSE to Imperia but do not engulf it. If you mean "it shows up on the picture" -> again, I'm having a hard time understanding why you are failing to read borders on the map. Were you never taught how to read boundaries on maps??? I'm sorry if that seems like a rude question but i'm genuinely puzzled by your lack of comprehension.

Quote:
Anyway I'm also in a thread exploring Mystique (Lauryl) and on that page noticed that someone else had posted a Ziel Aerca tagged thread which is why I asked if that was 'allowed' or needs to be addressed.
The thread in question relates back to ZA but takes place in Lauryl.

Also, no one is color coding anything. As someone who hates flagrant use of color, that is just...nope. Uh uh.

After a conversation with others, we have determined we have no idea what the problem here is. It appears to be a failure about reading the map on your end, not really a failure on our end.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015, 12:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Adventurer

lol fair enough, it could be just me

I admit my main confusion was in finding which locations fit across Maeve, Moonstone and Lauryl since the map doesnt indicate provincial names. New provinces so I probably just need to get use to how they relate to each other, on reflection I do think provincial names on the map would help to alleviate all my issues.

and just for my clarity, in a trip from Nexus, across Kyathis Bay to Imperia, I can choose which province to post in based on where I'l spend most of the thread?

that helps much thank you
Kebra Negast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015, 12:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rattttt

Nimh has disabled reputation

Whichever province works for you? You can post in whatever province the thread takes place in - if it spans a few provinces, just go ahead and pick the one that makes the most sense to you
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: