Go Back   Aelyria > Games > Telath > The Aelyrian Empire > District of Maeve

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old January 9, 2019, 07:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Adventurer

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Argon Shatterskin is an upstanding Citizen
'[Riversong] Z'kron and the paradox of Riversong (private)

Timestamp: Late Melora of ERA XXVI

As winter began its slow and begrudging march toward Spring it kepts its teeth deep into the township of Riversong. The cold winds of the early morning bit deep into anyone foolish enough to be outdoors. Only those adequately prepared in the thickest furs and purpose designed winterwear had made their way away from the warmth of indoors, or at the least, by any outdoor fire or warmth source they could find. It was so cold that the roosters did not herald the mornings as they normally would and the usual sounds of tradesmen at their work were instead replaced by the sound of the chilling winds that bit into exposed flesh and skin.

Inside the township there was a traveller's inn that stood open. Many a traveller and merchant had found themselves in a long term stay at this inn, the largest in the city, and others had found or made arrangements for other accomodation wherever they could. The firm oak entrance way hung the sign. The commonly recognised image of a mug overfilling with broth and cutlery beneath that let anyone know, even if not aware of the common Aelyrian tongue, that they could find food and drink. From inside the sound of chatter could be heard. Although early in the morning, the lack of anything in particular to do for many the traveller and merchant provided the opportunity to play games, converse and otherwise hear and re-hear the latest gossip and tales; some of which had grown particularly far fetch with every retelling so as to ensure the audience remained entertained by the very same fable.

Inside the tavern it was warm with a fire warming a large pot that served traveller's broth. Those willing to pay more were able to get other meals but by and large as savings dwindled nearer the end of the winter many made do with what basic sustenance they could get as they waited out the winter winds and waited for the welcome of Spring's magical embrace that would once again let them move on and trade with the bigger cities. All tables and chairs were in use and inside the tavern the through of noise was loud enough to ensure most were near to shouting to be heard by their drinking buddy or companion. The games being played, of dice and cards, attracted a throng of enthusiasts and mildly bored onlookers who had little else to do than pay attention to the misfortune of others who thought the game was fair.

Evidence of a recent fight that had broken out showed at the side of the establishment showed smashed tables and chairs stacked as neatly as possible to avoid limiting the common space. The current publican of the establishment was ever vigilant and while polite and jovial, the fat but sturdy man was quick to remind anyone of his sharpshooting days in the army and would shot off his trophy he had one in a tourney in Aelyria Prime in days gone by that served as evidence of this. To illustrate the point he had left a crossbow bolt that had been driven straight through a hat to remain fixed to the wall near the entrance that stood 20 feet away.

Anyone who enquired on this he would say in a bellowing and proud voice:

"Had I the taste for blood that night, it would not only be the hat you would see there but the the skull of the outrageously drunk patron who had threatened my staff and manhandled the serving girls'"

Though years had passed since he had been in the Imperial army, his stature showed though he enjoyed a comfortable retirement he still had managed to maintain a lot of strength in his body with his poorly tailored light tan tunic stretched tight over the mass of fat and muscle beneath it.

As the morning rolled on it would remain for a candlemark or so more longer the only place generating a sizeable throng of noise to compete with the wind enticing anyone in town left or recent traveller to the warm embrace of hearth and fire beneath a sturdy thick oak wooden roof
Old January 9, 2019, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mythic

Z'kron is a benevolent AdventurerZ'kron is a benevolent Adventurer

He'd long ago lost track of the number of inns and taverns he'd passed through. He wasn't sure if he'd been to this one before. It was unclear if it mattered. Riversong was not a town the loomed large in his memories.

It had been a long time, in truth, since he even questioned why he was in one place or another. The vignettes that composed his life tended to occur whether planned or not, and it was easier to come up with explanations retroactively "Oh I was just visiting my great aunt Millicent" as anything else. Perhaps today would be the day he bumped into that great aunt, or his mysterious (and potentially non existent) spidery sister, or something else that would bring an aspect of his wanderings to a close. He quiet ly doubted whether even finding the ostensible aims of his search would affect his behaviour. More likely than not he would nod, make a series of witticisms, and then proceed anew on a fresher, even more unlikely quest.

So? Today he was in Riversong, a town he was certain was only a loose translation of the named original. Whatof it? He was staying out of the cold, a little. Sitting in the tavern corner. Suspicious of everything, as usual. The strange creeping edge to his mind, indicating that this was real, this was happening, had been worrying at him for several paragraphs now. Such reality was dangerous. But then, so was too much self awareness. He pressed the dangerous thoughts back down. Stayed in his lane. Kept to his role. Sipping ale. Staying quiet. Why? What's it to you, mysterious voice of the universe?

Returning to regular posting

Happy posting everyone! :)
Z'kron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2019, 02:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Adventurer

A nearby voice broke through the throng of the crowd.

"Serale!" said the voice of a tall, pale elf "Why are you so openly and brazenly out and about in a town like this?"

With the typical Medonian Elven style of speech, still thick with a superior attitude watered down by generations of elves forced side by side with humans.

"It was not that long ago that you would have been lynched 5 times before reaching the door of this establishment and don't think for a moment that the times have changed enough that it couldn't still happen. Surely you've noticed a few stares from those rough looking 'gentlemen' over there? Even if you hadn't presented yourself they would have started a fight with someone. You coming here just made it more likely they won't try that hard to find a pretext to start the fight."

The elf appeared somewhat nervous in conversation with his hands casually being rubbed in a very human way before being put back inside some pockets where evidence of th elf's fidgetiness continued.

"Nevermind that, however, given that you, a strange blue-hued dracon, have arrived here, it must finally be time for something unusual to happen." said the elf as he seemed somewhat mixed between excited and worried about the tidings he was predicting "I've lived long enough now to realise a few things about the workings of God..... When something or someone unusual shows up, this often precipitates an event."

The men, clearly of local stock, looking strong from the work, and bored from the lack of it, were coming toward the table. The grim smile of the leader left nothing to the imagination for the intent and the sidekicks each flanked him, with smiles that looked close to snarls and a wild look in their dark brown eyes.

"See?" said the elf "the start of something. It was a peaceful and uneventful day before you showed up. Now let us find our way to resolve this situation and discuss matters further. I've been waiting for someone like you to discuss my ideas"

The sound of odd excitement to the elf's voice sounded odd. If Z'kron cared to look, the timeless look of the elves had been countered, somewhat, by the typical mundane aging of humans. He was a grey haired, crooked eared, smooth skinned and slightly slim individual. His clothing, however, betrayed that he may have seen harsher times at least recently. Evidence of tears and rips that had not been sewn in clothing that was average at best were all there to see. That said, nothing in the 'elf's' demeanour indicated being concerned with his apperance in the slightest at this moment in tie.
Old January 10, 2019, 07:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mythic

"Been out and proud for years, sir. Not going back. Gotta be honest with myself, otherwise it won't hold as effectively as a allegory for sexuality in the future."

He scratched at the side of his chin.
"Don't know if being a non-cis lizard would make this a sadder morality tale or not. Will have to think on that one. Anyhow. Let us set that aside from the moment, and agree. Something unusual is likely to happen. And, being a wizard, I have arrived on time. That said, as an newcomer, I find myself forced to inquired. What type of thing of unusual nature are we expecting?"

He glanced about, checking for spiderlings. Then he saw the men.

"Ah. Those. See, I find it best to flee. Else, there be. A. Deadening."

And flee, with all the might of his lizardly legs, is what he did.

Old January 10, 2019, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Adventurer

The one thing the burly men weren't expecting was such a well functioning flight response. Z'kron had plenty of opportunity to evade the men given they had not approaches with any attempt to corner the dracon having expected a different style of confrontation.

One of the men managed to yell out a "Hey you!" just as the dracon managed to get through the door. Although the 'elf' was not quite as fleet footed he joined Z'kron shortly soon after.

"Say a few of those words you mentioned I haven't heard before. What is 'Non-Cis'?" The elf enquired "Does that have something to do with your agenda here in town?"

The 'elf' then turned to the road into town "Ahh look! There hasn't been any newcomers for weeks and its unusual for anyone to come into town at this time of year and look there we have a newcomer!"

It was at this time that a man pulling a single wagon sporting a blood smeared canvas covering something miserable at present came into town. It was also right about then that the 3 burly men came out of the tavern following after the duo

"Get back here we need to talk to you!" The leader yelled in a suspicious sounding voice.

Having reached the town the single remaining man started yelling. In the winds his voice remained weak but still could be made out

"Help! My caravan was attacked! I am the only survivor!" Said the man. He was covered in thick furs but looked otherwise fine. Although his eyes indicated trauma his body had not suffered. All that could really be seen of his skin was when the wind pushed back his hood to show his pale white skin and frosty blue eyes. They were so blue as to match Z'kron's own bluestone blue where it showed on his person.

"Now that sounds too much like providence to me Master Wizard" said the elf clearly waiting to see what the newcomer would do
Old January 11, 2019, 05:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mythic

"I don't know if it's my agenda or not! I think you're just born that way!" Yelled back the dracon with impeccable (to him) social consciousness born of being an early member of a society where body fluidity was a choice that had often been condemned as a demonic curse. Reciting whilst running was an art he'd utilised often over the years.

He puffed a little as he put some distancebetween him and he others. Correctly discussing the topic would take more time than his flight would allow. And besides, there was a story afoot. A story beat with very blue, bluestoney blue eyes.

First thing, of course, was to check if he was resonating. Bluestoney things did that around eachother. Bad things sometimes, like blow up. Second thing-

Yell towards the frosty blue eyed man
"Good thing there are three burly men and an elf here to help you!", dash around him and off the road, in hope that things would just resolve, that he would not detonate, and that he would not have to engage in fisticuffs with the locals.

Old January 11, 2019, 08:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Adventurer

Z'kron's deft evasion of the man and mystery blood cart took the man driving it by surprise. His reaction was clearly not the one he had expected. After the new series of events it was only the 'elf' that continued to follow Z'kron out off the road and into the snowdrift.

The burly men, having been given something of a different purpose to attend to, stopped immediately chasing the dracon and attended to the man instead leaving Z'kron and the elf to the flight into the snow.

Though Z'kron was able to outrun the elf, he was doing so while leaving an obvious set of tracks through the snowdrift. Furthermore the further from the road Z'kron made it the thicker the snow had become to the point that his pace was little more than walking as he would have to strain his body against the snow. The terrain required some form of remedy for faster travel and in the meantime he had given the 'elf' time enough to catch up to the dracon.

"If you are here, then that cart in town is of little importance" the 'elf' said "besides, did you get a look of that human? The features were very generic for a human. Nothing surprising and entirely fitting with a typical description of one. If that person were important there would be more to them than that."

Z'kron and the 'elf' found themselves with only the town in the background as a guide. The terrain and weather had combined to make the nearby surroundings devoid of useful landmarks. What direction they were travelling in as well as where they would be going would require Z'kron to use his knowledge and skills in geography or similar skillset that would allow him to figure out a direction and pace to set out with.
Old January 12, 2019, 02:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mythic

"Normally I would agree on the face thing, but I try not to get too metacognitive, you know? You can't assume the tone of he story from get go. I mean, sure, if a talking pig turns up its probably whimsical. But you need to take time to read these things. And besides, his eyes showed trauma his body hadn't suffered. That was something that could have been investigated."
He traipsed on a bit, leaving a trail in the snow.
"Anyhow, we're at Riversong. So there's probably a River nearby. The one that connects to Port Alyx, at least. We can navigate by.. honestly, doesn't matter yet. I can fly and ask for directions if need be. Its easier to see most things from the air. But what about you?"

He concentrated. Picking an arbitrary direction, whilst keeping an ear out for pursuers. South? Why not. South? Unless there was a reason to go elsewhere? He could just reach out his nature senses to clarify, if it got tricky. Give himself the homing senses of a pigeon. But until then-

"I'll walk for a bit before I take off. Strong winds help. If you wanted to discuss anything in particular."

Last edited by Z'kron; January 12, 2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old January 12, 2019, 07:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Adventurer

"Well I am not much of a traveller." Z'kron's companion confessed. I know of the river and generally what you would fund to the South. I know you Will find mountains north eventually and some plain and a forest but I cannot precisely navigate to any of them."

The companion seemed for a time to figure out what might be the important storyline here

"The last major event for Riversong related to requisition of resources by the I.perial army in the effort against the war against the Xet. We were largely untouched here. Although not much of a traveller I was in Daltina for a time before my proclamations made me unwelcome there. Am I supposed to offer you some direction and then from the the manor event happens? I will think on it some more if you wish to stay a moment longer"

The company's voice did very little to hide the disaplointment of being left behind. It was clear the woman had an interest in what events might occur around the old dracon.

As the sun began to rise higher in the sky while completely obscured by the clouds the snow and winds began to settle a bit. The faintest shadows could be seen in the background hinting at the terrain nearby.

In front of the Dracon was the outline of smooth terrain, with curves like waves on the high seas. To the left of Z'kron's view was more of the same except in the background more jagged sometimes sharp triangular ridges could be made out. Nearby the town it was more flat, possibly cultivated under the snow. To Z'kron's right it was more rolling ridges but this was the direction of the road. Where the River exactly was was hard to make out in the conditions. The chill to the air, however, bit into both the dracon and the elf giving a sense that standing still was not ideal. With Z'kron's knowledge and background it was also apparent that becoming a small creature in this weather would also be risky. Exposure would be a very uneventful way to die.
Old January 13, 2019, 05:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Mythic

Where was he going?
Aside from away from a fight, the druid had little idea.
Perhaps he would just fly following the road- it seemed a safe enough option. Roads were a bit less frightening than the wilds for most folk. In a few miles he could go back down to walking. Flying in the midst of snow got uncomfortable after a while, and he preferred to save his endurance.
Besides, if he stayed near the road, maybe he'd encounter the thing which causes heavy emotional trauma to that man. Possibly even get ambushed. He wasn't sure if that was a positive or a negative. Which perhaps raised questions about his mental state.
Quietly, he raised a daub of dried lithium mud to his mouth, and munched it.

Old January 13, 2019, 06:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Adventurer

Noting that the dracon appeared still in ponderance of his next action while he walked the companion took a moment to offer what his thoughts were.

"Well if we follow the road we should see the tracks of the man and wagon that was pulled into town and maybe find the origin of the incident before anyone else thinks to?" the elfman said unaware he might have said something that hadn't already occurred to the dracon "if you were to fly there is a good chance that anyone or anything that bushed the wagon won't be able to capture you. If I continue on foot, though....."

The realisation of the elfman's usefulness in the story did somewhat make him that much more paler as blood drained from his face.

"....that would make me the bait"

The elfman did not seem enthusiastic about the idea yet at the same time had not said anything further and instead seemed to be contemplating playing the part much as Z'kron had been contemplating flight.

The elfman, had one other thing to offer as he seemed to return to his previous demeanour "Perhaps its best we find the road and the tracks again first then assess from there what to do. I can't imagine anything can maintain flight up there in this cold for long and it would be terrible to find oneself in an unfit state if a calamity were to befall as it surely will under the circumstances."

The next thing the elf said appeared no longer to be addressing Z'kron at all "I can't believe I will finally see the evidence of what I have posited after all this time!"
Old January 13, 2019, 08:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
Mythic

"That's true. And I imagine using my magic powers to warm my wings would be cheating." He sighed, trudging besides the elf. "Alright, let's both be the bait. I'm used to mental trauma. Had this archmystic who basically set up camp in my head once. Interesting chap. Lady. Anyhow. What're your skills, abilities, survivable things? Prefer you not get bedeadened through all these."

The druid had been through a lot of these things before. He knew how to get to the point when he absolutely had to. This seemed one of the situations.

He grimaced, stretching his face against the cold. "And just confirming. You are neither working for my sister, working for me, working for a shadow version of me or acting as some type of fair or dark mirror of who or what I might become, no? Just, when I do find someone genre savvy or whimsical.. it's good to ask these things up front. Also, confirming who or what you were just talking to. Useful information."

Old January 13, 2019, 08:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Adventurer

"Well none can accuse you of not being brave" the person said with a faintest of smiles "Very well, into the jaws of death together it is then!"

The comment was without the strength of conviction of a person truly unhinged. It was more the comforting thing a person says when they aren't confident at all. The weak and feeble voice in which it was shouted indicated the latter in abundance.

"Well, I don't know your sister, but I'm sure she is a lovely person" the elfman started at the list of questions fired at him in quick order "I don't think I am a future you because I don't remember anything of my past having anything to do with being a blue-hued dracon. Its a rather colourful background and one I think would be hard to forget. I am not any of the rest but even if I were, I doubt I would have admitted to being so. I hope you have a good judge of character otherwise you're haplessly optimistic about the honesty of strangers. Admirable trait I might add"

The two continued to walk. It wasn't too hard to find the road being so close to town. It was evident, however, that enough snow had fallen and not enough traffic nor efforts to reduce the snow had made the path easy to see or to travel. For the most part the tracks left by the cart and person served as a useful guide for a league or two before the snow made the tracks faint to near impossible to see. With the suns rising and the winds abating visibility improved. Some of the farmsteads on the edge of town could be seen spotting the countryside. No particular activity appeared to come from them nor any fence lines appeared to prevent a person from travelling to a farmstead from the road.

Further up the road there was a fork that could begin to be seen. Any signposting that may have been there appeared not to be visible. In one direction it became more evident that a sparse treeline leading towards a heavier forest. In another it headed over some rolling hills where, despite the snow, jagged rocks still peaked out. Each direction presented their own challenges and the track left by the wagon had petered out before the fork.
Old January 13, 2019, 01:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Mythic

"Alright. Good to know. But in terms of survivability? If we're caught in an ambush? Do you have martial skills? Spellcasting? A knack for turning situations suddenly to advantage? A name?" The dracon pressed on absentmindedly.

There was a fair chance, he was aware, he was walking into a trap. It was also possible this elfy fellow was in on it. But merely knowing that wouldn't change his actions overmuch. He was, at this point, no more than a mildly interested bystander.

The druid wandered over to one of the trees curiously, wanting to identify whether it would be useful for any particular architectural projects. Density, tensile strength, those sorts of things. Maybe get a seed as a sample.

He glanced back at the fork. It certainly was a decision point. He looked back at the tree.
"I have no real incentive to go either way, so picking is arbitrary. In such a situation, why don't you take the lead?"

Old January 13, 2019, 06:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Adventurer

"Well I know a bit of unarmed combat and can hold my own." Said the companion to the dracon "I prefer not to fight and cause harm though. We are all victims of circumatance"

He elaborated further on his skills and knowledge even if it wasn't necessarily pertinent

"Well I was in the church of faith and spent a lot of my time dedicated to the pantheon of the Gods and venerated them throughout my days. That was until I made my way into the library and followed a series of books, passages and citations that lead me to seek knowledge in the forbidden lore section. It was there that I realised that though the Gods were real there really wasn't any reason to worship them. I started writing myself based on what I had read. Kept my work secret for long time while I worked. Turned out that I had been watched the whole time and my works were confiscated from me. I was banished from the Church and driven out of Daltina."

After he stopped reminiscing about past transgressions he thought to the problem at hand "My natural inclination is to the forest. The elven part of me is more comfortable with forest than plains. Since providence is a thing let's go that way"

The elfman seemed to be in good spirits to finally have an audience that wasn't interrupting him as he spoke.

Last edited by Argon Shatterskin; January 13, 2019 at 11:32 PM.
Argon Shatterskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: