Go Back   Aelyria > Games > Telath > The Aelyrian Empire > District of Maeve

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old August 27, 2018, 03:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Companion

Wealth Tier: Bronze
Aldessia is unknown and forgotten
[PA] Moving into the Darker Side of the World [Open]

The wind on Port Alexyandrya gusted across the dusty streets, puffing low breaths of dust into its citizen’s faces as they moved across the bustling streets. For once, Aldessia was glad that the wind had created some form of a visual obstruction for most of the individuals loitering on the streets. It gave her more room to slink around corners without being noticed. She wiped her runny eyes from the dust, coughing slightly as she slipped round the corner, attempting to move towards the Gut. The ends of her bluish-purple hair knotted lightly as sweat coursed down her temples, the sweltering heat of the sun blazing across the sky beating down upon her small back, barely covered by the thin and flimsy one piece dress.

Aldessia grunted as she glided quickly past the narrow streets, the heated stones searing the flesh across her back as she glazed off it, her fingers latching firmly onto the knocker of the nearest tavern swiftly, slamming her fist down on it sharply, thrice, before slipping into its dark but cooling confines. Her bare feet padded lightly across the dusty floor, quiet and stealthy as she caught the darkened eyes of the bartender, and the little twist of displeasure curving round his face at the very sight of her.

“I’m just crossing.” Sweat burned in her eyes as she snapped lightly, careful to back swiftly into the corners of the dark tavern inconspicuously. “The heat’s killing me.” She grumbled, wiping her forehead with a dirty hand.

The bartender grunted lightly, tapping his fingers harshly against the glass table as he tilted his head, considering the young child relaxing in the corner almost lazily.

“Its not like you have any customers now.” Aldessia muttered, slinking up to the front of the bar and climbing up upon a stool.

“Off.” The bartender swiped a cloth at her face, grinning wolfishly as she yelped, leaping off the stool. “I’m having customers later. Don’t make it dusty.” He gruffly lifted a rickety wooden stool over the counter and towards her face. “What is it that you want, little elfling?” He eyed her warily. “You don’t come here that often without any requests.” He pushed a cup of water towards her.

“I want work.” The young girl brooded lightly, kicking her feet into the air lightly as she eyed the bartender with her golden eyes. “Dirty, unscrupulous work, not things that you’ve given me before, like a couple of fish in exchange for a drink and a dry piece of bread.”

The bartender scoffed.

“So—”

“I need the money.” She interrupted before he could even finish his sentence. “I need it.”

“A beggar does not need money.” The bartender scowled, scoffing deeply as he glanced down at her. “But if you want jobs beyond the usual, I can’t really give you any help there.” He cleared his throat uncomfortably, watching carefully as Aldessia clenched her teeth. “Besides, with what you currently have, there’s nothing much that you can currently do that would guarantee you a huge sum of money without any proper skills.”

“I have magic.” Aldessia lifted her chin stubbornly.

Ha!” The bartender scoffed. “That’s what you call magic?” He pointed at her, chortling through his mouth. “I’d expected you to be more exposed to the harsh realities of your position, considering the fact that you’re currently living in The Gut.” Aldessia fought down the urge to chuck the wooden cup at the man’s head, her rage simmering beneath her skin.

“I can improve.” Her chin jutted out stubbornly. “You just need to tell me the information of where I can get those kind of jobs.”

“You’d die without even completing any of those tasks.”

“As if that isn’t something that happens every other day.” Aldessia muttered softly, her golden eyes sliding slyly to the side just as the doors to the shady tavern creaked open.
Old August 28, 2018, 05:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Luminary

Cherjaine is a benevolent Adventurer

The gut, the illegal side of Port Alyx, a place where Cherjaine only visited for specific reasons. One such reason was to seek out not too legal alchemical stuff like wolf heart, poison ivy juice and even a pinch of gunpowder. No questions asked when she bought those things, but she had to waste quite a bit of her talent to ensure she was safe. She heard faerie wings were often sold at a high price.

This brightening, she had visited a tavern within the guts for a different reason. She had dropped practical jokes like casting illusions of flying cheese and recently, ogres, around town. The people in the reputable areas were more guilable. She wanted to challenge the gut.

She waited on the rafters for people to arrive only to see a young elf and the bartender arguing. She could choose to interfere at this point, but what for? Where was the fun in scaring two people.

Then there was a creaking sound. Someone or something was entering the tavern. That would be fun! She fluttered through the rafters quickly and gathered her magic and cast suggestion on the bartender. The suggestion was something a bartender would usually say, except for some change of words and phrasing. If all went well, it would go something like this. "Serale! Take your pants off and let me service you. Do come!"
Old August 28, 2018, 10:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Notable

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Ellie Snowborn is an upstanding Citizen
The young woman wiped the sweat from her brow with the back of her hand and dried on her dress. Her eyes looked around, darting from one side of the street to the other, looking for danger. She didn't like the Gut. But, she worked for Mr. Baldo and Mr. Baldo said to go to a tavern in the Gut. And, so she did. Because she wanted to keep her job. As boring a job as it was, standing in a shop all day with a customer or two if she were lucky.

Ellie was satisfied that this was the correct place, and so approached the door quickly, wanting to get off the street. To get out of the heat as much as away from danger standing out in the open in the Gut could pose. The last time she was here....Maybe if she had told Mr. Baldo about it, he wouldn't have set her to this particular task.

With a creak, the door opened and she stepped inside, pausing just long enough to allow her eyes to adjust to the dim light of the tavern. Looking around as she closed the door behind her, she noted who she assumed to be the bartender speaking to..a child? Maybe.

"Serale," she offered in a not entirely confident voice.
Old August 28, 2018, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Companion

Aldessia nearly cursed aloud as the doors creaked open and a shadow of a figure slipped into the dark confines of the tavern, a strange shiver of apprehension dancing down her back as her golden eyes darted around. Something else felt out of place here—well clearly it wasn’t the person that had made an effort to say hello—the young girl could see the other figure’s dark image as clear as day within the flickering lights of the tavern. Her golden eyes slid lazily from side to side as she stiffened her back, tipping her head back lightly as she brought the wooden cup of water to her lips, letting her eyes wander as the cool liquid slid down her throat.

Paranoia and suspicion were feelings that were nothing but familiar to her. Too long had the young halfling felt curious and apprehensive eyes dance across her face and body, judging and watching her every move, from the strands of her unique coloured hair to the tips of her very toes, and considering how discreet she was trying to be in attaining a job that clearly wasn’t fit for someone like herself…her golden eyes wandered momentarily to the rafters, feeling a flicker of movement up in the rafters. It ceased, after a moment, to nothingness, and a flicker of confusion danced through her pretty eyes.

Perhaps it was just her own paranoia foiling her just as it did at times. Her intuition wasn’t always right after all.

“You still haven’t answered my question.” She grumbled moodily to the bartender, who snorted at her and flapping his hand in a shooing motion at her.

“Stick to your fishing and scavenging, kid. Jobs that are unscrupulous and require magic aren’t for someone as innocent and naïve as you.” Aldessia scowled at his dig at her innocence.

“Well, if someone like me is considered innocent, then I guess there isn’t much of innocence in this world then.” She snarked, eyes hooded slightly as she stretched lithely.

“Rich kids are innocent.” The bartender snorted back at her. “At least until they have a taste of bullying others.”

“Correction.” Aldessia flopped her head onto the table, scowling as a memory of being chased for fun by kids clothed in rich silks, armed with belts and sticks flickered through her mind. “They’re innocent if their parents coddle them. I staunchly believe in that everyone is born wicked into this world. Unless they choose otherwise.”

“Hm.” The bartender grunted at her words. “Perhaps you should be considering asking shop owners if they’d take you in as a helper or something, then slowly work from there. There ain’t anyone hiring rats like you from unknown backgrounds to do their dirty work. You ain’t have the skills, nor the experience, so crush that pipe dream of yours, kid.”

“And there ain’t anyone that’s gonna hire someone like me to help out in their shops. Like you said, unknown backgrounds call for a cause of concern.” She sniffed delicately. “Would you hire me?”

“I would if you’re older.” The bartender smacked the back of her head at her snarky tone. “You’re a pretty kid, so it would work.”

“Ah-HEY, that hurt!” Aldessia ‘s hand shot to the back of her head as she grimaced, flinching slightly back from the slap. “And no, I ain’t gonna be a bartender.” Her cheeks flushed almost angrily at the thought. “I’m not staying here, and I’m gonna make it happen.” Her chin jutted out stubbornly as the bartender clicked his teeth in annoyance, finally turning to the lady that had entered the tavern not too long ago.
“Serale.” The rich baritone of his voice echoed through the tavern, warm and welcoming, his eyes shooting Aldessia a warning glare as she sniggered behind her hand. “Anything I could help you with?”
Old August 28, 2018, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Steel
Alphonsus is a benevolent Adventurer

OOCI will take on the role of all NPCs from here on... Chat a bit amongst yourself until the main event begins.

Cherjaine cast her spell on the unknowing bartender, but his wits was still with him. He was arguing with the young elf after all. The suggestion was well in his mind, however.

Before Ellie had a chance to speak with her needs or wants to the bartender, the door creaked opened again to reveal a middle-aged pale skin half elf. The bartender smiled when he saw the half elf, thinking it was time to get a proper customer. "Serale ser! Our apple brewed beer is the finest in all of town. Do take your weight off your foot, drop your pants and let me service you pleasurably." He didn't even know what he had just said, for in his mind, he was greeting in his usual fashion. Serale ser! Our apple brewed beer is the finest in all of town. Do take your weight off your foot, drop your things and let me serve you whatever you pleasure.

The half elf was stunned at what he heard and looked around the bar wondering if he had heard right. He looked at Cherjaine who was hovering just above Ellie, then to Ellie, then to Aldessia who he seemed to recognize and back at Ellie. "Did he just ask me to take my pants off?" He directed the question to Ellie, who seemed to be the oldest of the three.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Posting Status: Injured Hand. Slow post
Medonia's Detective, Telath's Bard
Alphonsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2018, 08:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Adynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious Superhero

The bartender's anticipation of future customers seemed to have fulfilled itself after all. One by one the strange patrons filtered in - the girl child, the fae, the somewhat timid woman amid one of the most dangerous slums known throughout the empire. It might have left for an entertaining sight had Adyn been of the mind to observe.

But Adyn wasn't of any mind at the moment. He had had business in the last few days, and as such had been forced into a relatively early pattern of waking, work, then respite.

The respite part had become woefully inadequate, considering the long-standing routines he was bludgeoning out of his system by rising as early as he was. But given the individuals he was working with, he had determined that he would rather suffer this particular way than by, say, blunt force trauma to the head... again. And so, he had been up from the wan hours of the night and had risen only candlemarks later.

It was for this reason that he stumbled out of the stairway just then, a lean figure with a muss of hair more a-kilter on one side, face shadowed with signs of what might soon become a beard. He rubbed briefly at his jaw as he muttered at something, resulting in a mix of what one could only describe as a jumble of slurs on sandpaper. He then ran a frustrated hand through his shock of hair, which oddly did it some justice, given its state.

He was holding the source of his apparent disbelief, a piece of parchment that he frowned at as he approached the bar. He seemed to pay little attention to the current rise in activity, placing himself on a stool near the wall as he waited for the bartender to acknowledge him.

At that moment, however, the newest arrival had just posed his question, and there was a moment before its meaning finally registered with the rogue.

The muttering stopped, an eyebrow quirked, and Adyn looked up from the paper toward the half-elf who had spoken.

Then Adyn blinked, shifted his gaze toward the bartender, and appeared nonplussed for all but half of a second until he asked "Is this that kind of establishment then?"

There was a flicker of amusement in his eyes before they brushed swiftly across the small crowd that had formed only moments before. "I never would have guessed," he mused aloud, from the sort of clientele I've seen around here lately." His gaze paused in particular upon the woman who seemed as if she had wandered in by accident, and then upon the girl whose mien nearly proclaimed that she owned the place.

And then, he turned back to his paper as if it were a copy of the Herald and he was waiting on his breakfast, making an off-hand request for some alcohol with an addition of something to ease a headache.

Perhaps it was a standard day in the Gut, to be asked to remove one's pants in public, or perhaps the man was lost enough in his deliberations to overlook the oddity. Regardless - there he was, attention come and gone, eyes planted once more on the paper that had been boggling his mind.

Albeit, far less inclined to be arguing with it, for now.

Last edited by Adynirach; August 28, 2018 at 08:26 PM.
Adynirach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2018, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Notable

Her lips parted, an inquiry forthcoming, when she heard the door creak once more behind her. Realizing she was standing in the way, she quickly took a few steps away and turned her gaze to the newcomer. A half-elf by the look him, and older than she. Thought, it was always a little hard to tell for sure with those with elvish blood. She nodded politely to the pale skinned man and turned back toward the barkeep as he greeted the new customer.

Her eyes widened a little and she simply stared at the bartender. Her mouth opened to say something, but, then closed just as quickly, her mind trying to determine if she heard what she heard or only thought she heard what she heard.

She heard the half-elf's query and looked at him with an equal amount of bewilderment. She glanced at him..then at the barkeep, then at the man who suddenly appeared in the stairway, then to the elf child, and finally back to the half-elf "Uh huh..." was all she could muster in reply.

She flinched a little at Adyns offhand comments, suddenly worried that he..or the rest of the tavern for that matter, would think she was...well, one of those kinds of women. Giving him a quick look, she spoke up "I'm not that kind of clientele, thank you!"
Old August 29, 2018, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Companion

Aldessia choked on her water upon hearing the bartender’s words, slapping her chest as she ducked under the table, coughing as she attempted to regain back her breath. Sweet musty air tinged with rum and wine rushed into her lungs as the water lodged in her windpipe broke free. She wiped her tearing eyes, shrinking back further into the corners for a moment as more people entered the tavern, tilting her head as she contemplated the pros and cons of responding to the elf’s bewildered question.

“He’s not usually like that.” She drawled lightly, her eyes flickering as they landed on the piece of paper that the man who had sidled up to sit at the bar, gesturing to the bartender for breakfast and some alcohol for his system. Her fingers twitched at the sight of the paper that he’d casted to his side almost carelessly.

Somehow, that piece of paper had drawn her undivided attention, no matter how much her senses alerted her of the possible danger of thieving under an immense amount of attention. Her golden eyes slid slyly over the older man’s dressing, noting his rather haggard but still..appropriate appearance. Compared to her own dirty and shaggy self, it was rather easy to conclude that he was quite well off, considering that he could afford a room in the shady tavern. Perhaps..there was something worth looking and asking about.

Her golden eyes sparked almost mischievously.

“Is that paper troubling you?” She rocked forward almost curiously, hoisting her legs up to cross each other as she leaned forward, an almost cheeky grin spreading across her face as she posited the question to the rather haggard and tired looking man. Her eyes danced lazily over the woman that had spoken, a lazy smirk flitting across her face at her words.

“And I’m far too young for being such a clientele.” She mused lightly. “Though its not common to see in the Gut.” She muttered the last sentence under her breath, goosebumps rising across her skin lightly at the thought of it.
Old August 30, 2018, 05:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Luminary

Cherjaine chuckled at the turn of event caused by her spell. It did not immediately work on Ellie when she entered, but on the second person. There was a learning point here about her trial spell of suggestion. Could it be that the bartender was too engrossed with speaking to the little elf that he shrugged off the effects or he was not interested in girls. It might also be because her had initially believed a guy would appear next and the suggestion spell took notice of her thinking and it only trigger when the bartender noticed a guy entering. She would have to test her spell further in the future.

Ellie. Someone she met at a bauble shop. She was surprised to see Ellie in this area. She was actually surprised to think about traveling to the Guts this brightening, but she felt bad pranking, or as she said, honing her magical ability, on people she called friends. She reasoned none of her friends visited the Guts.

She looked at the young elf child who was more interested in the newspaper. She would be too, an era back, but she had been operating her businesses in Port Alyx for some time.

She nodded toward the pale half elf who had noticed her first and shrugged. She pointed at the bartender, then raised a finger to the side of head and spinned it there to indicate the bartender might have gone cuckos.

Then she fluttered down to Ellie and greeted her. "Serale. Did not expect to meet you here, Ellie"
Old August 30, 2018, 12:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mythic

The pale half elf was known as Luzon Nimblefingers. He was a regular to this place while using another face, and this was the first time he heard the bartender greeted any customer this way. This made him wonder if the bartender was moonlighting as a pimp , looking at the three girls in the place. He doubted that and decided it must be his hearing going bad, but it seemed everyone heard the same thing. Perhaps the bartender was either drunk or was thinking about something else. "I think I will keep my pants on and you can service us by serving drinks. For a start, serve me and that guy over there a pint of your suggested beer."

The bartender was really confused at what everyone was saying and gave a disgusted look when he noticed the Cherjaine flying around. Pixies (he believed faeries and pixies were the same thing) were bad news and they often confuse people around them. That might have been what happened here. "Right, pints of our famous brew coming right up for the two sers. Anything for you little lady?" He asked Ellie, purposefully keeping his eyes away from Cherjaine. She was not serving little girls and pixies in his establishment.

Meanwhile, Luzon stepped over to Aydn and took the seat beside him. Keeping his voice low only Aydn could hear, he quickly whispered. "Luzon here. Recruiting for the Cadre." Then in his normal voice, he spoke in a light hearted tone. "Fancy seeing you here again my man. How's things going for you?"

He looked at Aldessia. "Don't think anyone will mistake you for a street girl, but it's still rare to see a girl as young as you around this part. Care for a spot of milk or tea? Kind of miss having a child around me."

After that, he would also invite Ellie and Cherjaine to join him, citing that this might be fate that so many appeared in this empty tavern at this very moment.

oocLet the fun begin!

S O F | Nature Musicorum

Last edited by Alphonsus; August 31, 2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old September 1, 2018, 05:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Adynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious Superhero

oocSorry for the year-long book

In response to the woman who had declared herself not the sort to patronize that type of business, the young man snorted softly.

"I'm not one to judge, either way, Mademoiselle," he remarked without looking up, although there was a quirk at one corner of his mouth, a spark of amusement beneath an otherwise nonchalant mien.

He seemed to find success in ignoring the rest of the activity a little while after that, including the brief hubbub of conversation and the small girl's choking and dancing about. But when the child had recovered and returned to her original place, her voice seemed directed at the rogue in particular. He glanced up, brows lifting at first in uncertainty, but when it was clear the girl was watching him, eyes as sly as he would expect of a child wandering homeless in the Gut, he made certain to brush his hand in as dismissive a wave as he could muster.

"Troubling and confusing me, but it's nothing I can't figure out," came the lie. The confident ease of the words was a juxtaposition to the mussed detail of his appearance, and he admitted to himself that he should have thought the words through before he spoke them. Having been raised in the Gut for a good portion of his life, he knew better than to underestimate the child's intelligence, and so he considered that she might not believe the claim - even if it had been posed as well as it had.

"Mathematics," he went on by further way of explanation, the word accompanied by a soft roll of gray-blue eyes. It was a truth to temper the blunt delivery of the lie, as he was not the biggest fan of the subject and would much rather be doing something else.

He was considering what he might say next in order to lose the child's interest when the fae detached itself from the shadows in the rafters. He tensed immediately, fighting the instinctive urge to jerk away from it, recalling the last run-in he'd had with a jewel shop owned by a couple of her kind. Nothing good had ever come from fae mischief, and they had often proved particularly inclined toward magic. And who knew what they could sense about his own nature, given the strange abilities that often manifested in arcane-inclined races. He'd rather not test those waters.

Yet he knew the child's eyes were not far from him now, and considering that she - and the bartender, perhaps - might be eyes and ears for another, he didn't want to alert either to the fact that he was hiding something. So he clamped his teeth and remained just where he was, leaning back into the bar seat. His eyes were far more alert now though, especially as the latest arrival shouldered his way into a seat right next to him.

Regardless of that alertness, he was unprepared for the words the man whispered in his direction. There was a flicker of something dark and steely in his eyes before it was hidden beneath a softer smile of bewilderment. Even if he did not respond aloud at first, his gaze all but said "Pardon? I don't know what you're talking about."

"Well enough," was what he murmured aloud instead, offering the man a short nod. Regardless of the feigned recognition, Adyn didn't know what this man's connection to the Cadre was - whether it be enemy, thug, or delusional madman. Either way, this business of 'recruitment' surely would have had nothing to do with him, so he could either assume they were attempting to contact him indirectly - or that their enemies were.

Which, he considered with some measure of annoyance, would make the man's words a threat of some kind... which was tremendously inconvenient, given that he had only come down for a drink to begin with.

When the man spoke directly to the child, Adyn couldn't help but cast the girl a confused sidelong look. His expression said something along the lines of "What's this oaf about, anyway?". He sought her face, and then the faces of the two other women, for what might have been recognition... but if there was any, the group was proving well enough at hiding their connection.

He opened his mouth to say something when the fellow suddenly invited the rest of the tavern to the conversation. The rogue groaned internally, at least acknowledging that the half-elf knew how to best make him uncomfortable given the situation. He swiftly withdrew the paper, folded it up, and stuffed it into his front shirt pocket, then plastered an amiable smile on his face as he looked toward the room. It was entirely possible that he was being paranoid, but one could never be too careful in a place like the Gut.

Just what had he gotten himself into, anyway?

Last edited by Adynirach; September 1, 2018 at 05:16 PM.
Adynirach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2018, 06:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Notable

Eyebrows arched in confusion at what was going on, Ellie just shrugged and flashed a semblance of a smile toward the man at the bar. Not that he was paying attention. Not that she cared if he was. She glanced around the room once more before taking a few steps deeper into the tavern.

And, then, a familiar form flittered up before her, from out of nowhere, as best Ellie could discern. A familiar, tiny, form. It took her only a moment to recall where she had met the faeri. After all, she had met very few fairies in her lifetime.

Nodding a greeting to the fluttering faeri, she gave her typical smile; one that held no real emotion behind it. "Lady. I have to admit, I wouldn't have expected to meet you here, either." Or anywhere else, really. Rarely did she run into customers who had visited the shop. "You've been well," she asked, her hazel gaze still floating about the room.

The half-elf who had entered behind her had moved to the bar, taking a seat next to the man with the paper. She regarded that man for a brief moment. Handsome, sort of, she thought to herself before shaking it from her mind and stepping toward the bar. The bartender was there, and it was he she was here to see.

Waving Lady to follow, she suggested: "May as well get a seat and maybe something to drink." Taking a seat just a few stools away from the others, she nodded at the barkeep. "A beer," she ordered, sliding a few coins across the bartop to cover the cost.
Old September 1, 2018, 08:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Companion

A wolfish grin almost overtakes the young girl’s face as she heard the half elf’s question to her, a flicker of astonishment in her golden eyes. How long had it been since someone called her a child? It was almost always “the elfling”, “brat” or as others on the street knew her—Aldessia. An almost deprecating flicker of a grin danced across her youthful face.

“If its for a free meal and drink, I would not mind.” The words left her lips almost lazily, her usual lazy but cheeky grin whirling across her slightly malnourished face. Her ears pricked casually as the man leant close to the haggard male that seemed preoccupied with the paper, whispering secretively into his ears. She perked up almost immediately, but belatedly realized—her apparent interest might have just given her intentions away—after all, anything that was related to farming secrets and knowledge others might not want her to know about was a rather lucrative hobby that she intended to keep training. Her fingers traced around the rim of the wooden cup of water contemplatively.

Like for instance, cheating husbands and wives. A sly but childish smile parted her lips. Not that she had any intentions to break up nice families and spy on them, but selling secrets by spying on those they wanted her to spy on feed her hungry belly and sometimes, if she was ever so lucky to get a tip, secure her a room in the shady tavern. The bartender had a slight soft spot for her, usually lowering the prices for the rooms slightly, should she have obtained the money to pay for it. It was thus far a good occupation for a street child like her, after all, Port Alyxandrya was a place filled with decadent individuals, splurging and indulging in their whims and fancies, all the while ignoring other’s pitying plights. A child, running around the streets was nothing more than a common sight—who would even link one as a spy for premarital and secretive affairs? Aldessia hummed lightly as she considered her options, crossing her dusty feet.

The half elf had met her expectations of what Aldessia herself had required and assumed as a nice individual, after all, free meals were hard to come by. Still, a part of her instincts warned her that nothing came along entirely free. That there would be a catch somewhere. Perhaps he was intending to capture her and sell her as a slave. Aldessia nearly laughed at the wild thoughts in her mind. She’d really been living far too long amongst those that lived on the streets. Even their sense of intuition, suspicion and paranoia were affecting her judgement of others.

“My name is Aldessia.” She smiled mysteriously, propping her chin on her right arm as she let her eyes flicker lazily through the crowd that had gathered. “Now that would be a fair trade for the free meal you’re gonna give me.” Her smile was toothy as it was wide. “A meal in exchange for a name. Nothing ever goes free, and I don’t really like owing favours.” Her fingers tapped against the wooden table. “Would that be a fair exchange, or would you prefer another offer? Anything except for being that kind of company.” She glazed over her last sentence smoothly, trying to be as elusive as possible in her referenced words. Truth be told, it was not the first time that someone had offered Aldessia a warm bed and a free cup of milk—she had been young then, gullible, and more naïve than how she currently was, and the man that had offered, a filthy pervert with an eye on her unique looks and ill intentions in mind. Aldessia had managed to give him the slip when she’d realized something was different, and the cries of pain that she’d heard when the rich man had taken his frustrations on another slave with a thorned whip would be forever branded into her youthful mind. Since then, she’d learnt that nothing came for free, and that it was always the safer option only if there were conditions and trade exchanges that coupled alongside such free gifts.

A slight scowl flickered through her face as her ears caught onto the words of the haggard man, her pride almost taking a blow at the apparently elusive answer that he was trying to satisfy her with. What did he think her, a child? It never crossed Aldessia own mind how ironic such a thought sounded, especially for someone whowas indeed a child.

"As if that can be anything but mathematics." She deadpanned sarcastically, nearly rolling her golden eyes. "If you would prefer to keep your dealings a secret, just be open about it. As someone that deals with secrets I understand the importance of privacy." A coy smile flitted across her face, her eyes flickering lightly as she grinned. "It is an insult to my intelligence, trying to fool me over like that. But..I get it." She slipped forward slightly in her chair, humming to herself. "I was just trying to offer help--if you needed it, in any way." She shrugged. "I can be pretty useful in gathering secrets and information. Children are small, and inconspicuous. They don't really get noticed much unless they've done something too inappropriate for their own age. " That itself was the truth, but more than that, Aldessia really needed to get a job. A stomach grumbled in protest at the starvation she'd gone through for the last two days.

Not now. She patted her stomach lightly. She had saved the few meager amounts of money that she'd scrounged from both fishing and trading bits of scrap garbage the day before, not that they were worth much anyway. Those coins would only last her for a day's worth of food, and Aldessia felt that it was crucially important that she started saving--or earning money, as a matter of fact, if she ever wanted to fulfill her dream of leaving the Gut and the city.
Old September 2, 2018, 02:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Luminary

This entire tavern suddenly became very lively, what’s with everyone seeming to know everyone else. Ellie and herself. The two men. It also felt like the the child and latest man who appeared knew each other or at least the man knew the child.

She accepted the invitation, floated down to the edge of the table and sat there.

“Fate? That is a nice way of explaining a such a meeting. I am know as Lady, a perfumer and please do not mistake me as a pixie.” She introduced herself, giggling at the part about pixie.
Old September 2, 2018, 12:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Mythic

The bartender served everything as ordered, still a little confused at what had happened previously. After collecting the payment, he returned back behind his counter to clean his tankards.

At the table, Luzon noticed Adynirach's suspicion. It was only to be expected, but this brightening, his goal here was to recruit Aldessia. It didn't matter if Adynirach was supportive, just that he don't disturb his plans.

Luzon immediately recognized the name Lady. His contacts in the guards had told him that they were keeping watch of the faerie. That would work to his advantage. "Why would anyone mistake a faerie to be a pixie, Lady?" He laughed.

Noticing that the bartender was no longer paying any attention to them, he began his recruitment. "Maths and all sounds nice and fun, but I never see any reason to learn to count to more than a thousand. I don't even have enough copper to reach a thousand pieces at any one time."

He faced Aldessia, seeming to be appraising her. "It is pretty true that children are small, and inconspicuous, good at gathering information and all... and since we have a rather mismatch group here, I do have a, well, rather ethical question I like to pose. You see, one of my friends lost a his heirloom and it came to my notice that this rich person has it. It is well known that this rich merchant tends to cheat his customer and has paid off many a guards to 'look the other way'. Then I heard some thieves were going to rob him. Should I inform the merchant in hopes of rewards or should I just buy the heirloom off the thieves." The question he asked was a 'test' question. It would tell him how everyone here thinks and filter away those he could attempt to recruit.

S O F | Nature Musicorum

Tags
aldessia, job hunting, port alyxandrya

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: