Old July 13, 2018, 07:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
ARRR!!!

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Sepharvaim is a benevolent Adventurer
[PA] Tall Tales in the Tavern (Travaran)

Where: Port Alyxandrya
When: Era XXV Late Summer

The suns had long since sunk beneath the horizon and the Stinking Friar, a small tavern near the docks of Port Alyxandrya, was quite rowdy. The ruckus could almost entirely be attributed to the crew of The Broken King.

The rum was flowing freely in the tavern that summer night. 'Freely' being a figurative usage, definitely not literally as Seph's pockets were quite a bit lighter now than when he first entered through the tavern's doors. Part of his monetary losses could be traced back to the rum, the rest was currently in the middle one of the tables. A nice mix of strangers and Seph's crewmates filled the tavern.

There were a couple groups around the tavern some gambling, others telling stories. Seph found himself in the latter, the former having taken enough of his money as it was. Currently he was telling his audience a harrowing story of his time on the sea, albeit with a few embellishments. "--an' a 'uge tentacle burst out of the water--suckers the size of my head, they were-- and it took the other ship down in no time at all. The Broken King, she's the fastest ship ye'll ever be on, an' we only just got out of there in time!" How much of his story was actually true was only known by the rest of his crew mates, and they only offered further details to the epic tale.

|SoF|
Sepharvaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2018, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bling Source

Travaran is an upstanding Citizen
It had been a long day, stretching into a longer evening. Most of it was spent working on a particularly difficult piece of jewelry. He had natural talent but one still had to learn a crafts ins and outs.

The sun set before he realized, and only when he lifted his head did he see that the hour was late. His eyes were tired, but his mind was too busy to shut down for sleep as yet.

He stepped into the Tavern, his senses immediately assaulted by the sights, sounds, even the smells. It made him pause. The tall elf was dressed simply, pants, long robe like tunic, the red hair swept to one side, a gold hoop glinting in the lights of the tavern.

Yellow green eyes danced over the crowd, seeing the bar and tender, he headed that way. A drink could shut down his mind. As he passed a group, one of which was telling a tall tale, he glanced that way. When he caught snatches of what was being said, he joined the crowd to listen.

""Suckers the size of your head?"
Travaran's eyes studied Seph's head. He grinned and looked back to meet Seph's eyes. "Those are some huge suckers."

Travaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2018, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
ARRR!!!

"Are you saying I have a big head, mate?" Seph asked, a large grin on his face as he set his eyes upon the newcomer. His own green eyes met with Travaran's and the confident smile he was wearing dropped for less than a second before he resumed his jovial nonchalance.

Seph had a good memory when it came to faces, but it still took a moment for him to recall the name. Travaran of the House of the Sunrise. He had tried to bury his previous life deep, deep down. Even ten years later, this one was a bit too familiar for his liking. Maybe the fellow Quel’anthasan did not recognize him. Ten years was a long time. Well, maybe it wasn't for a people that lived for centuries.

But Seph had changed more in those ten years than he had in the centuries beforehand. For the better, in his opinion, though he was sure others would disagree. That quiet, reserved star house noble was a stark contrast to the boisterous pirate he now was. Sometimes, he was barely recognizable to himself.

Confident that his true identity was safe, he continued his tale. “Aye, the beast was big enough to take down a ship. They had to be large suckers.” The Quel’anthasan decided to push his luck even further. “Come on, mate. Have a seat.” Seph looked him up and down, making a big show of sizing up his fancy garb. “You look like you might have some fascinating tales.”

|SoF|
Old July 18, 2018, 07:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bling Source

Travaran's grin met Seph's and there could have been a slight movement of his chest in laughter. He liked that the elf could take a joke and give it right back. He knew by the hue of Seph's skin and that intensely violet hair he was one of his own. His true identity was safe but there was something familiar about Seph that piqued Travaran's curiosity.

He had heard of the heir to the Star house i'Orifiel but he had not yet attached that story to the elf in front of him. The brief pause gave no indication of any recognition.

"Naw.." he said congenially, "saying it's a big sucker." Travaran winked, so quickly one might wonder if they really saw it at all, it was so like a twinkle in the yellow green depths.

When Seph looked him up and down, Trav felt like he should be spinning to be inspected, but he just gave a half grin and took the seat, pushing the sides of the robe away so he could sit comfortably.

"From the sounds of your story, any adventure I had would pale in comparison.." He studied Seph a moment, "not to mention bore the likes of you to bits..." Seph was obviously the piratey type. Trav had left little behind of his elven nature, the elegance, the noncommittal conversation, the ability to drift in and out of lives without the urgency others seem to feel.

He looked around to suss out getting a drink while he spoke to Seph. "But I can try...." He lifted his chin a minute, ran a finger down his cheek, then began to weave his tale , elbows propped improperly on the table, hands rubbing together.

"I once chased a creature that was only rumored to exist, he was taller than the oaks that grew in the old forest, his steps caused the earth to rumble, and his shadow was said to blot out the sun as he passed....."

Old July 21, 2018, 02:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
ARRR!!!

"Oh, yeah very large suckers, mate. But not to worry ya, I've plenty of experience with suckers." The pirate winked, hoping the double entendre wasn't lost in Travaran's noble propriety.

The raven-haired quel'anthasan relaxed noticeably when the other didn't show any signs of recognition. It would have been quite a difficult situation to explain to his mates why the orphaned street-urchin they thought he was had somehow come to know this other elf. Although, a smart man would have gotten away from someone who might expose him. "Oh, come on, mate. Everyone's got a story to tell."

The table had plenty of alcohol to spare and Seph placed the big jug of rum in front of Travaran after taking a big swig of it himself. Stories were always improved with rum.

|SoF|
Old July 21, 2018, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bling Source

At some point recognition may occur. Travaran for all his years, took everyone as they came to him, with no expectations. Though being around Seph, things may begin to reveal themselves.

He caught the double entendre, "Ah, I thought you might.." he grinned.

He picked up the jug of rum, swallowed, took another pull from it and sat it down, leaning back so that his chair was balanced on the two back legs, all set to continue with his story.

"In any case, this creature made an appearance near my home...I, hungry for adventure, set out to be the one who found, and killed, the so-called monster.." As he talked, he was aware of things around him, the crowd, those at the table, it was a lively atmosphere to be sure.

But he noticed how Seph became relaxed once they started talking. Trav lowered his gaze to the table,

"...I chased the thing for two days and nights, stopping only to shove something in my mouth, and take water...at last I came upon him..." he paused, for effect,

"..turns out he was as big and as mean as the stories described. I targeted him from a nearby hillside, he was in the field below. Just as big as I could have imagined. ....For hours I tracked and fired on him, my arms tired, my vision blurred, but he had to be felled soon! None could take as many arrows and stay alive...but this one did."

Something was niggling at the back of Trav's mind. The red head tilted to one side, he idly toyed with the gold hoop at his ear. He raised his gaze to once again scrape the clear eyes over Seph's features. He let his chair fall forward so all four legs were on the floor, and he propped his arms on the table, yellow green eyes now direct on Seph.

"What did you say your name was again?" The story was forgotten, at least the one he was telling. But another story was starting to form in his mind. One that he'd heard for going on ten years now, of a missing heir. Trav had been so wrapped in his family's own troubles, that he pushed the story out of his mind.

Until tonight. Until the dark violet elf that sat near him.

Old July 23, 2018, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
ARRR!!!

The violet quel listened with a big smile as the red-haired elf told his story. Hunting a giant monster with a bow! Now that was not something he had been able to experience with all the time on the sea. More often than not, you were the prey not the predator when a monster from the deep decided to pay your ship a visit.

But even as Seph listened with rapt attention as the elf got to the climax of the story...he cursed silently as he saw the recognition dawn on Travaran's face. Feth! In the back of his head he heard Captain Rorn telling him that he toed the line too often. Seph always had to go just one step further than he should have. One day it was going to lead to him getting into some trouble he couldn't talk nor fight his way out of. The lightning scar that traveled across his entire body should have been enough of a warning.

A couple different options raced through Seph's head. Maybe he could just smash the jug of rum over Travaran's head and toss him out into the bay. That would be good. Just tell the crew that he had been wronged in some way, and they'd back him up. They had killed before. Not exactly like this.

Seph filed the murder option back into his mind. Maybe he would revisit the idea. No, for now he would just lie and lie some more. He was good at that.

"I didn't say my name, mate." He smiled a big grin that said nothing about the murder plots in his head. "Name's Jon." Okay, the alias was maybe not a great testament to his lying skills. "And yours?" He asked, as if he didn't already know.

|SoF|
Old July 25, 2018, 09:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Bling Source

"Jon..." Travaran said flatly, a hand lifting to tease a strand of the red hair behind one elegantly curved ear. The grin started small, an uptilt of one side of his mouth, then the other side, never quite evening out in balance, but a grin nonetheless. His eyes never left Seph's. He was sussing out all the little ways that a lie was obvious, and there were many. A tic, a flinch, a frozen grin, a too long stare, an avoidant stare, body posture. It all meant something whether a person realized it or not.

In any case, he really didn't have to look at all of that, Seph's choice of the name 'Jon' was evident he was indeed a terrible liar. At least off the cuff. There was the evidence that he had managed to hide his true identity for going on a decade. He had to be good at some parts of deception.

"Ah.." he picked up the jug of rum again, having no idea it was being considered as a weapon, took a deep drink, swallowed and sat it back down carefully.

"Then we'll go with Jon...." he said his eyes though were saying exactly what Seph suspected. He knew he was not Jon. In fact, the story of the missing heir and the man who was that heir all came to a clarification in his mind, then seemingly materialized in front of him.

Everyone had reasons for running. Travaran has his, he would allow 'Jon' to have his without interruption. After all, it wasn't exactly standard practice to reveal that you were the heir to Star house i'Orifiel to a relative stranger, even if that stranger was known to you from a previous life.

He held out his hand, "Travaran..." he left off the rest. "You can call me Trav. Rolls off the tongue easier."

He leaned back again, the chair going onto it's back legs and balanced easily by Travaran's long legs. "What made you choose the sea?" For your escape, for the way to get away from everything that no longer meant anything to you. He thought those things, but he did not say them, though they were there, laced between his words, heavy in the air between them.

Old August 2, 2018, 02:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
ARRR!!!

The raven-haired Quel kept his eyes trained on the fire-haired Quel's. Travaran knew Seph was lying, Seph knew Travaran knew that Seph was lying. "Jon"? Where the feth had that come from? Usually he was a fantastic liar. He had spent the last ten years lying to an entire crew of pirates convinced he had been a street urchin for a century. A better name might not have helped, regardless. He had been recognized. Short of killing the other elf, there was no forcing him to unlearn it. Once again he considered the jug of rum as Travaran took a nice swig.

Seph glared daggers at Travaran. The arrogant posture as he leaned back in his chair made his blood boil. The red-haired elf had a tight grip on his nads and he knew it. He knew the secret he had been keeping for a decade and could ruin this new life of his. Who knew how the crew would treat him after they knew he had been a pampered noble for almost three centuries before they had met?

The pirate gritted his teeth and leaned forward. His voice no longer held the light joviality that he had maintained throughout the conversation. His pirate dialect dropped a bit, and his Trelorean lilt crept into his voice. “I chose the sea because I did not appreciate having the next millennium of my life perfectly scheduled on someone else’s whim.” He spat the words out angrily. Not necessarily anger at Travaran, but this man sitting in front of him seemed to represent the entirety of the Quel’anthasan society he had left behind. Languid, elegant, and arrogant.

“And what brings you here, onnachild?” He spat the last word in elvish. Seph stood up and planted his fists down on the table. He began speaking in Trelorean elvish. The language felt a little strange on his tongue, having not spoken it for years, but it came out just as easily as Common, easier even. “Did the court of Trelore prove too frightening after it drove your mother mad?” The rumors of Trav’s mother were only faintly familiar in his mind, but he could remember the gist of it.

The couple of crewmembers sitting near Seph looked at him quizzically, whispering to eachother. “He’s drunker than I thought. Could you make out a single word of that?”

|SoF|

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: