Go Back   Aelyria > Games > Telath > The Aelyrian Empire > District of Maeve

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old July 9, 2018, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Wealth Tier: Steel
Niven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious Superhero

[PA] Shot through the heart and you’re to blame (Travaran)

TS: Late Summer, Era XXV

The suns light streamed through the treetops, dancing across the different greens of the leaves of the different plant life in the forest outside of Port Alyxandrya. Up in a tree, on a strong limb hidden behind a leafy bough crouched a petite elfess in a white shirt, leather vest, and green trousers and leather boots, her emerald eyes scanning the forest floor. She had her bow in her hand, an arrow nocked but pointed at the ground, waiting for today’s kill.

The wind rustled through the leaves and caressed the face of the pretty young Sylrosian elf, her cornsilk blonde hair blowing gently out behind her. She was otherwise motionless as she waited for whatever beast would become the darkening’s Pracenda.

It had taken a bit for Niven to return to the forest outside of the Port City. What had taken place here almost an era ago was still fresh in her mind. It would be a long time, if ever, before she managed to forget the events of that darkening. Even that simple thought conjured memories of her and Calanon in the moonslight. She shook her head as if to clear her head of the mental pictures. It helped to know that the feelings part of it wasn't real, even though she had the results of those events waiting for her at home.

The druidess took a deep breath as she thought about the sweet faces of her children. They would likely keep her from forgetting ever, a constant reminder of the tryst she and Calanon shared. But things were better now, between them. They had seemed to find some semblance of normal. It was less awkward now than it had been. A friendship had started to bloom between the two of them as they worked to co-parent their children.

Ah, the children. She loved them with all her heart, but she appreciated her time away from them too. Simple activities like bow hunting for supper made her feel like she used to before her every waking moment was spend in the service to two tiny dictators. Thank the gods they had started to smile now and respond to her voice and face. There was reward now as every brightening they became more aware of the world around them.

The sound of a rustling in the foliage reached her elegantly pointed ears and Niven’s head turned toward the sound. She didn’t see anything, but that didn’t mean that there was nothing there.

Unloading her arrow, the elfess stuck it sideways into her mouth before she braced her hands, the one with the bow rather awkwardly, on either side of the limb silently crawled forward. Her boots made no sound on the tree branch as she inched forward trying to get a better look at what was down below. Was it a dear? A bear? A wild boar?

Tucking her legs under her again, Niven perched on the branch and brought her bow up, once again nocking the arrow. There she held, her forefinger and middle finger holding the arrow, ready to draw.

CIR | SoF

Thread Count: 12 + 5

Last edited by Niven; July 10, 2018 at 01:21 AM.
Niven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Bling Source

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Travaran is an upstanding Citizen
Travaran arrived in Port Alyxandrya only a few days prior. His time up until this point was spent unpacking, showing up for his work, and learning the duties of an apprentice jewelcrafter. He was drawn to it, relished each piece, and found himself sinking into creating making the hours pass pleasingly.

Sure he was old enough that he should have already been...something. However, he'd spent several years of his life defining himself. An elf had the luxury of time so it was not unheard of to wait until a craft or profession spoke to your soul.

Making his way to the forest outside the Port this morning had been a decision made of necessity. He needed to gather foodstuff. He was going to use the opportunity to scout out the hills for possible mineral holds as well.

The bounty of berries was unbelievable in the foliage so he was busily picking enough to have a decent cobbler at home that evening. It was taking longer than usual because every two or three berries he was popping one in his mouth to enjoy the explosion of sweet flavor on his tongue. This was all done with smooth precision, each move graceful and fluid.

That did not stop the sound of rustling from reaching the ever keen ears of one such as the Sylrosian elf, however, for like Travaran, they were innately able to pick up even the most subtle of noises.

Unaware he was being tracked as the next meal, he paused and looked out across the area. The breeze was gentle, refreshing, the sun highlighting colors and deepening shadows. It was one of those deep summer days that lulled one's mind into a haze.

He spotted what he thought might be a bulge in the hillside across the distance. He abandoned his berry picking, licked on of his fingers of berry juice, and stepped from the foliage in that direction.

His gait, smooth, even, almost floating, the long orange red hair lit up by the sun's rays as he emerged from his cover. The hue of lavender skin more pronounced in this light, and those yellow green eyes fixed on a point some feet away.

Oblivious? Somewhat.

Travaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 11:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Niven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious Superhero

As the rustling got closer, Niven’s heart began to beat faster. Whatever it was that was coming was large. A smile formed on her lips. Whatever it was should feed them for quite some time. Adrenaline began to flood her veins as she prepared to make her kill. Her left arm straightened and her right three middle fingers drew the bowstring, then locked her right thumb under the bone at the junction of her jaw and earlobe.

It was another moment before the sunbeams through the trees caught the red hair and lit up the owner like a candle in the darkness. The elfess froze realizing it was no beast she was about to shoot but another person. An elf, by the looks of him. Niven's dark eyebrows raised. She hadn't ever seen an elf with that colour of hair before.

Slowly and with great control, Niven released the bowstring, her index finger of her left hand curled over the arrow while the rest of her hand gripped the grip of her bow, ensuring that if the arrow did accidentally fire, it would not fly true. And would likely hurt like Aeternia. But it was better that than impaling an innocent person, their only indiscretion being walking into her path.

Once the arrow was no longer a threat, Niven removed it from her bowstring and reached over her head to tuck it into her quiver behind her. Her heart rate slowed as she calmed herself.

With the expertise of a true Sylrosian wood elf, Niven slung her bow over her shoulder in one fluid movement before lowering herself to sitting on the branch and dropping out of the sky, landing crouched next to the ginger elf.

“You’re lucky you have hair the colour of fire, heruamin, or you might have become a casualty of my bow,” Niven said, matter of factly rising to her full height of 5’5”, realizing that still made her a good foot shorter than the elf she had almost shot. But she was used to being dwarfed by people and so stood tall and firm in her place.

“It would be wise to take care in the forest. I am by no means the only hunter in these parts. And my father was lost in a hunting accident, dying far too young for an elf. I have no wish for the same to become of you, at my hand or anyone elses."

CIR | SoF

Old July 12, 2018, 10:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bling Source

He heard her mere moments before she landed so gracefully in his path. One side of Tavaran's mouth uptilted into a half smile. It was not every day, after all, that such a thing happened.

He was indeed a foot taller, lean, almost willowy, the robes he wore today were simple, worn in places, beneath he wore simple britches and soft leather boots that made for silent walking. Unless, of course, you were being tracked by a very determined blonde elfess such as the one standing in front of him now, looking for the world like they were eye to eye.

He saw in her in those brief seconds before he spoke a solid strength, passion, and a determination that he could not help but admire. It made the smile extend ever so slightly. She was beautiful as well, obviously.

"Vedui" he said with a hint of amusement laced around the greeting.

"Then I shall be ever grateful for the color of my hair for perhaps the first time in my life."

His smile faded when she spoke of her father. He gave a slight incline of his head in acknowledgement.

"That is quite the loss..." he glanced around the forest, "it seems the price of the forest is too high at times." He could almost smell the coppery scent of the blood that ran from his mother's wrists.

"It was in the forest that my mother was taken.." he did not elaborate fearing it would be too much to share with another so recently met, his eyes dancing over the perimeter of the tree from which she had dropped into his sight.

He turned back to her, head bent to meet her gaze, his hair swept to one side, the breeze that gently teased causing its length to wave playfully.

"Thank you for the warning..." he smiled again, feeling somewhat more comfortable with the female. Loss tended to create a bond between beings. Normally, Travaran was more distant, but this huntress seemed to be the kind that would never let a thing like aloofness sway her either way.

He bowed at the waist. "I am Travaran, of ...well, of Port Alyxandrya as of a few days ago. And you are? "

Old July 13, 2018, 12:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

A hint of a smile played on the elfess’ lips as he expressed his feelings about his hair colour. It was a most unusual colour for an elf, but Niven truly thought it was quite lovely. It only served to highlight the yellowy green shade of his irises another wonder to the Sylrosian. Add those things to the slight purple tinge he had to his skin and it became quite clear the elf before her was Trelorian.

Niven raised her eyebrows as he revealed that he, too, lost a parent in the forest. "Amin hiraetha heruamin,” I am sorry my lord She replied quietly. “It is a terrible thing to lose a parent.” Niven had never known her father and so missed out completely. It was too new of an acquaintance for her to pry into the private life of the Trelorian.

The breeze wafted through the trees again, playfully tousling both her own long cornsilk blonde hair that had been only partially braided back and her companion’s long auburn locks. It felt nice in contrast to the heat of the brightening, even below the canopy of trees overhead.

He smiled at her and thanked her and Niven couldn’t help but return the smile. “As I said, I have no wish to find you injured within the confines of these woods,” she said, her tone warmer. There was something….disarming about the elf. Niven couldn’t quite put her finger on it, but she was keenly aware of it.

She returned his bow with a curtsy, sliding her left foot behind her right and making a slight dip as she bent at the knee.

“I am Niven,” she replied, “of Sylrosia. Or what is left of it." A melancholy look graced her delicate features for a moment before they returned to normal.

"I, too, reside currently in Port Alyxandrya. Welcome to the City of Queens heruamin. What fortune brings you here?" she asked, her curiosity getting the better of her.

CIR | SoF

Old July 15, 2018, 12:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bling Source

He inclined his head in agreement with her statement on losing a parent. It was indeed a terrible thing. Though their conversation touched upon things that were far from pleasant, there was something very refreshing about this elfess, or was that the breeze making this meeting more pleasant? The thought was one to ponder at a later time. It was enough for now that the pale hair being caressed by the breeze caught his full attention momentarily.

"I would wager if you did...find me injured, I would be in good hands." He drew his gaze from the cornsilk blonde hair back to her face. To Travaran, she seemed used to taking care of others, had a sense of the caretaker about her that was blended with an air of strength.

He watched her with the return of that faint half smile as she introduced herself and curtseyed. The trace of sadness on her features did not escape his notice though he made no mention of the cause. He could infer the cause from her information.

"Well met, Niven." He bowed at the waist and put a hand to his abdomen as he did so, giving her due respect. They were quite courtly, it would seem.

"Truth be told, I needed to make a fresh start. After a long life spent focusing on various tasks and interests, then suffering the tragedy of my mother, it was time for me to leave my home, and learn a new craft, in a new place. I am an apprentice of jewelcrafting. The City of Queens has been magnificent thus far. I have enjoyed it immensely."

He paused, studying her feature and committing them to memory to recall later.

"And you, Niven? What is it you do in Port Alyxandrya? I can already see you are an adept huntress."
His hand lifted gracefully to indicate her bow and arrows.

Old July 16, 2018, 12:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Momentarily the elfess’ brows drew together at his response. He was correct, Niven would have done whatever was within her power to heal the elf, but she wondered how it could be that he might know that? She was not a healer, at least not yet, and as far as she knew there was nothing about her that might suggest that it was even an interest of hers. His tone was soft though, and his words gracious. What was it about him that was so different from anyone she’d met? He certainly held her interest, especially as he seemed to know her in a way that would be unnerving with anyone else.

“Jewelcrafting,” the druidess repeated in her lilted voice, her eyebrows raising. “Most of the finest jewellery I have seen has come from Elvish jewel crafters. I can imagine your master is thrilled to have one who is so well suited to the trade under his tutelage.”

The elfess let out a silvery laugh. “I have been a huntress for many eras. My cousins taught me from a young age how to fend for myself. If you do not evolve your skills to become an adept hunter, you starve,” she said with a wry smile as she raised her weapon slightly to support her statement.

“I, too, have come to Port Alyxandrya to make a new start of sorts,” she continued. "In the past era, my life has taken many twists and turns, the most prominent of them leading me here.”

That was the most tactful way of summing up the topsy-turvy turn her life had taken. After finding herself oversharing the private aspects of her life to complete strangers, Niven had taken to becoming more tight-lipped about her circumstances until she knew someone better.

“I came here to friends who have taken me in. It is for our Pracenda this darkening, I hunt.”
Her gaze left Travaran’s face and trailed down to his berry juice stained fingers.

“It would seem you are out here for a similar reason? Or have you simply found a snack in your wanderings?” she asked, amusement playing on her lips.

“I trust you have taken care to ensure that the berries you consume are not detrimental to your health.” There were many different berry-bearing bushes in the forest and not all of them were safe for consumption. Niven hoped that her limited healing skills would not be needed this brightening. There was very little she could do for poison.

CIR | SoF

Last edited by Niven; July 16, 2018 at 12:19 AM.
Old July 16, 2018, 12:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bling Source

He did not know that she was a healer, he only knew that anyone warning someone to take care, obviously cared enough to help them if something happened.

"He did seem to be happy to have me, now it is my duty to ensure his glee is not misplaced." He fully grinned, the yellow green eyes seeming to twinkle with the expression. He was happy to be where he was, doing what he was doing, and that was saying something for Travaran.

"Happiness has been an elusive state of being for me. The twists and turns of which you speak, for me, have at least imbued me with strengths of character I may not have had otherwise."

He listened to what details she was willing to share, the grin returning to the vague look of a smile.

"And once again you show your concern.." he lifted his hand, rubbed the fingertips against his thumb as if in some weak attempt to scrub off the berry stains. The chuckle came as his hand dropped.

"They are not poison" he said with quiet confidence, but his eyes returned to hers, studying them closely for a few seconds before turning toward the cluster of foliage from which he emerged earlier.

"Ah, yes, I was foraging for food but this outing served a dual purpose, to see the lay of the land and what natural treasures it may hold....and since the berries were there, I know a recipe for a cobbler that slakes the appetite......" his voice drifted off.

He offered her his arm, inclining his head politely, "Shall we walk a piece? I know you have to find food, so I will not keep you overlong.." he was looking for a reason to speak to her...not to pry.....it had been so long since he spoke to anyone for any length and he was finding it awakening something inside.

Their superficial chat revealed there was more to Niven than a simple elfess out for food. He wondered what it would take to discover those secrets.

"The shadows are lengthening, perhaps you can use them to your advantage in the hunt?" His arm still extended, hoping she would at least prolong their conversation a few moments more. It was not his strong suit, but he was finding it was a current desire.

Old July 19, 2018, 11:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

The elfess nodded sagely at Travaran’s assessment of the benefits of his current life circumstances. “I know exactly what you mean. Life has taught me many lessons in the past era that have been character building. I’ve learned things not only about myself, but things about others in my life and their true nature despite whatever appearances are.

"I once had happiness in life. It was wonderful, I will not pretend it was anything but. But it would seem it was not meant to last. The gods had other plans. That being said, I cannot claim unhappiness either. Things are more difficult than they were, but where life has taken away certain things, it has also given me other things for me to be extremely thankful for.”
Niven once again met the yellow-green eyes of the Trelorian, the veracity of her statement easily seen in her own emerald orbs.

“I cannot be certain how long ago you ate them, but you haven’t died yet, so I will have to take your word for it,”
Niven replied, her amusement never leaving her smile.

“Ah, a baker! I have only limited experience baking. Cooking I have more, but I am in no way proficient.”
Niven had been taught by Kala the nanny of her former husband more than a few recipes. The elfess’ skills had improved dramatically, but Niven’s best cooking was still done on a spit over the fire with fresh meat.

The offered arm surprised the elfess a bit. For a moment she glanced at it and considered saying no. She had come hunting for pracenda, but also to be on her own. And the last man to offer his arm to her had been her now ex-husband. But then she smiled and stepped forward, looping her arm under his, placing her other hand on his arm as well.

“I would like that,” she said truthfully.

She was quite interested in this Elven stranger who set her at ease. It had been a long time since she had felt such an easy acquaintance with someone. If she thought back the last time must have been with Kailin, well over an era ago. And he was right, the long shadows would have its advantages for hunting.

CIR | SoF

Old July 20, 2018, 06:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Bling Source

Her beauty was definitely disarming, but Travaran was under no illusions. He realized he had little to offer an elfess like her, one who could mesmerize all manner of men.

Yet, he had this evening, and he meant to enjoy it. The bulk of that enjoyment was listening to her talk about happiness and her encounters with it, and it's counterpart, unhappiness.

"Two sides of the same coin, perhaps?" he mused at this and put a hand over hers that rested in the crook of his arm as they walked, the shadows bringing more comfort than fear for their kind. "You are wise to see those things to be thankful for, they are there, for any of us if we look for them."

He glanced down to her and grinned, then he leaned to whisper at her ear, "Your strength is enchanting" And it was, so much so that he had no trouble admitting it.

They walked a bit farther and he paused, knowing she had to find food and hew as being selfish in garnering so much of her time that was meant to spent hunting.

"I'll make you a deal." He began, his eyes dancing, the elegance of him like an aura that surrounded him, not something he worked to attain, but who he was at his core. "If you cook for me, I'll bake for you, and together we will have a meal fit for a noble."

He grinned, the glint of the gold hoop at his ear catching the scant light that was left. Was it an excuse to see her again? Absolutely. He felt he owed it to himself to at least attempt to spend more time with this fascinating creature, a blend of strength, beauty and an ever so slight vulnerability that spoke of past pain.

Old July 23, 2018, 11:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

As his hand rested on hers, Niven got a chill. Her eyes moved from the hand to his face as she wondered at him. She gazed at him trying to figure out what it was about him that made her feel so comfortable.

Was it that he was an elf? That couldn’t be it. It was ages before she and Calanon were comfortable with each other. Granted their circumstances were more than a little odd so that likely had a lot to do with it.

Could it be that he didn’t put on airs? He was clearly a Trelorian and most tended to look down upon what they considered lowborn elves. Travaran didn’t do that. He treated her like she was an equal. But while that was refreshing, that wasn’t completely it either. Niven smiled at him before averting her eyes and watching the scenery as to where they were going.

His warm breath on her ear was as much of a pleasant surprise as were the words he spoke. Niven flushed and hid her eyes behind her long eyelashes, her smile impossible to miss. Raising her eyes to meet the unique colour of green his were she replied simply, “Diola lle.”Thank you

There was nothing for her to say as they continued walking and she just enjoyed the afterglow of his compliment.

When he paused she furrowed her brows at him for a moment before relaxing. “A deal?” she repeated, intrigued. “Alright, let’s hear it then,” she charged, raising her chin rather regally.

His response made her grin and chuckle. He was smooth, she’d give him that. And a berry cobbler sounded delicious. “You have an accord,” she returned, removing her hand from his arm to hold it out for him to shake.

When they resumed walking, she smiled wryly and looked at him a little sideways. "Had many noble dinners, have you?"

It was a not so subtle way of finding out more about him without being completely direct.

CIR | SoF

Old July 25, 2018, 10:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Bling Source

He watched her reaction with nothing more than a smile. There was no indication of this being done for amusement, certainly, though it was obvious he was pleased. A strong woman like her could still be flattered, and be taken aback by it, so to Travaran it was an insight into the huntress.

"Excellent. I look forward to the meal. It can be at your leisure" He was sure she was far busier than he, given he was a newcomer to these parts.

They walked a little before he answered her question. The shadows were lengthening, there was the fragrance of flowers heated by the daylight now releasing their scent into the air reminding them all that it was deep summer. The rustle of the wind now and again only served to stir that fragrance and cause it to swirl and linger about the pair walking contentedly.

"More than I can even recall." he said quietly regarding the noble dinners. He glanced to her, then ahead as they walked.

"My family was intricately involved in the royal court, both from skill and heritage.." he left it at that for now. There was much to say about how his father became a scribe, how his mother married him, and the ensuing life that they created together. As in all stories about family and legacy, it was never a simple one.

"Yet.... life evolves, and sometimes not in the direction that we think we are destined. Therein lies the beauty of living..." spoken like a true elf. "Whatever bad is present in our lives will eventually vanish ...." but so would the good, though he did not taint the moment with that reflection.

"Is your life all you wish it to be, Niven?" It was asked innocently, Travaran was always interested in others and where they were in their journey. He put his hand over hers again, as if to give her confidence that she could speak freely without her words being shared with others.

Old July 27, 2018, 08:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

There was a slight nod of her head. “I will check with my friends and let you know.” It would have to be worked out between her, Kailin and Calanon who would care for the twins while she stole away an evening for herself. She didn’t look forward to explaining to either of them where she was going, knowing each of them would draw conclusions she wasn’t certain she was ready for.

"Where are you staying in town? It will be hard to send you a letter to set the date and details without a direction,”
she asked, shifting her thoughts then. There would be time to worry about Cal and Kailin later.

Niven said nothing in reply to the admission of the many noble dinners he had attended but merely kept her emerald gaze upon the ginger elf as he spoke. His meagre explanation led the elfess to think he was some sort of Royal Trelorian Courtier. Niven smiled outwardly, but inwardly worried. The Combine had been as close to royalty as the Sylrosian’s had gotten and her only experience with any of them was Calanon and she was well aware that Calanon was not much of a measuring stick to go by. But there was also the fact that he was now a jewel crafter, and judging by his appearance, not wealthy. The elfess did her best to reconcile these two things and found she could not. Perhaps a discussion for their dinner?

The wisdom of Travaran’s words was not lost on the elfess. Nothing was permanent. Circumstances were always changing. Few knew and understood this fact like she did. She tore her eyes away from him and looked back towards the forest, down the foraging path they were making.

She looked up at him at his question, her eyes meeting his for no more than a moment before she gazed off into nothingness as she pondered her response. There was no doubt the question was personal, but yet it did not seem intrusive. The warmth of his hand covering hers once more was not missed, but nor was it acknowledged.

Silence hung between the two of them for a few paces as Niven considered what she wanted to say.

“I am not unhappy,” she started slowly, “but my life is not all that I wish it to be, no. I have hopes and dreams, plans and ideas for what I want out of my life, many of which are not realized yet or are still in the infancy stages. But I have faith that it will get there at some point.”

The druidess raised her eyes to meet the Trelorian’s once again. “And you? Is your life all you wish it to be?"

CIR | SoF

Old July 28, 2018, 01:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Bling Source

Travaran was indeed a paradox. Leaving his life behind did not mean his past did not affect him, for it did, in ways that he could not even fathom. To anyone looking on, he was graceful and at ease in most situations, he had a way of keeping a polite wall up between himself and others, he had the air of a courtier and the manners of a noble. He was well trained in his former life, but things happen, lives shatter, then morph into a mockery of what they could have been.

Now he was learning a new craft in a new life and he had nothing to show for what he used to be, but the truth was, he wanted nothing of his past, it was the reason he walked away. It was that life that drove his mother to take her own life. It was that life that turned his father into a bitter, hopeless man buried into a bottle of spirits and his sisters turning into desperate females willing to sell their very souls to escape the grief that encircled them all.

How do you tell someone all of that in a first meeting?

All of these thoughts sifted through his mind as he listened to Niven become...hesitant? That caught his attention and drew him from his thought.

He pressed his hand to her and looked down at her, studying her features, the way she seemed taken with her thoughts.

"I live in a small place, but it overlooks the Sea of Diana..." and that seemed to be a point of magic for him, seeing the sea. He gave her the address so she would know where to send a message, then he added as he tried to catch her eyes. "You are welcome there, anytime, Niven. You've but to appear at my door and it will be open for you."

Whatever became of them, whatever their relationship evolved into, he wanted her to understand she was welcome in his home. He had learned much from his sisters on manipulative and feminine wiles, but he did not detect those things in Niven.

At his rather intimate question, her gaze left him and he tilted his head to watch her as she looked out over the forest and their surroundings, the twilight moving in faster than he would have liked.

From her profile he saw her beauty in detail, the curve of her cheek, the slant of her eyes, the delicately pointed ear, the small nose that seemed to be fashioned perfectly to suit her features, and that full mouth so lush and expressive. He smiled to himself at how she ruminated to find the right answer. It was a question meant to elicit thought, self searching and he was pleased that she was doing so, it meant she was honest, despite what that honesty might cost.

"Mmm..." he responded when she gave her answer, "that comes from a woman who understands what it is she wants, but finds herself in a situation that, while not ideal, is tolerable...and yet she knows there is more...."

Travaran gave a quiet laugh and looked up and around them now as Niven turned the question around onto him.

"Ah, my life is now on a path that I enjoy. It is not as before when my future was fated and my choices were limited. Now....now i can find berries in the woods on a quiet afternoon, and run into a beautiful elfess who nearly impaled me with her arrow had it not been for my fiery hair. Now I can walk with her and speak to her of meals, and life, and happiness."

He looked down at her again, as ever, taken by her presence, the way she carried herself and understanding that she became the elfess that she was due to her life thus far.

"Like you, I know there is more, but I am not there yet. I will be. There is no hurry, life continues on in a steady, predictable thrum, then it throws things in your path that you do not expect. Then one ordinary brightening you stumble across a glimpse of the future and it renews the hope...that someday, it will be all you wish."

He easily glided from her, turning so that he faced her, his hand gently touching beneath her chin. "If I can bring you anything, Niven, let it be the lack of worry. Worry that my past or your past, or something we currently struggle with, will cause any undue pressure. For now, let it be enough that I believe your smile holds a power all on its own, that you are strong and self possessed, and that I want to share a meal with you, as well as the story of the pieces my life that will never leave me."

It was the most he'd said aloud since he arrived in the Port city. He gave an easy, natural bow and lifted her hand to press his mouth there. When he raised he still held her hand.

Suddenly a shard of sunlight cut its way through and landed just behind her, highlighting her silhouette in a most enticing way. It made Travaran laugh in a delighted way that could not be interpreted as anything but joyful.

"Now, shall I help you hunt? I have abilities to see and hear that may come in handy for you.." After all, he did not want her to do without dinner because of his interference.

Old August 1, 2018, 07:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

The elfess concentrated while she committed the address Travaran gave her to memory. “I’ve got it,” she said, once she was confident she had it memorized.

His following statement had her looking at him, her surprise on her face. Here he was, an almost stranger and he was already offering his home as a place of solace for her. Her look softened as the kindness touched her heart, to the point it started to beat a little faster. Gods, what was it about him that affected her so?

“Do you make a habit of opening your home to strange young women you meet in the forest?” she teased, trying to play it cool and distract herself from getting too in her head over it, mirth dancing in her emerald eyes. She hoped he would not take her jest literally.

Then her look softened. “Thank you, though,” she said softly. “You really don’t know what it means to me to know I have another place to go if I need to. I haven’t many friends in Port Aylxandrya, but I am pleased to be able to count you among those that I do have.” She gave his arm a slight squeeze as she smiled at him.

The druidess inclined her head at his illation of her answer. “Thank you,” she replied with sincerity. “One can hope after almost 100 eras I would have learned a thing or two."

His reply to her question only brought a larger smile to her face and a melodic laugh that charmed even the birds. “Ah, these were things you were not free to do before?” she asked, rather rhetorically.

It interested her to learn the difference between the Sylrosian culture and that on Trelore. As Calanon himself had divulged, he’d had the standard lessons expected for a child of the Combine, heir to the family name, but still managed to get out and play and charm those he wished to copulate with. It seemed that was not so of Travaran. Whatever his title or position back home, Taravan seemed to have many more restrictions on his time. Or, and this was entirely possible, Calanon and his brother were more “adventurous" than most elvish noble sons.

While she nodded as Travaran continued, the druidess wondered if he was completely correct, at least when she applied his words to her own life. Yes, she was young for an elf and there were, the gods permitting, many eras left to her life, and in that sense, she had time to reach her hopes and dreams, especially in the stark contrast to human lives, like those of Moss and Kailin. But when it came to her goals, was there no hurry? Oh, how Niven wished it was so! She was now unmarried and had two children to support. Yes, Calanon and Kailin were there for her and Calanon was certainly doing everything in his power to support his children and their mother, but Niven could not live with them in their small house forever, nor would her savings last indefinitely. She would need to find her own way at some point relatively soon, not just to give Calanon and Kailin their privacy back, but also for her own peace of mind. Niven would only allow herself to traipse upon the kindness of others until she could support herself and the sooner she could do that the better, in her opinion. But that required training and a position, not to mention childcare. And then there was her god-given directive to help restore the Sylrosian Forest. Niven had been granted her druidic powers for a reason.

It was perfect timing, then, that the Trelorian ensured her attention to his next words by gently lifting her chin so she could gaze into his face.

As her eyes searched the chartreuse shade of his eyes, Niven felt most of her anxiety brought on by her thoughts melt away. She allowed herself to focus instead on his face and the tenderness found on his rather beautiful features. From this direct vantage point, there was no more than a hint of purple on his skin, which was beautifully peppered with the freckles that only added to the uniqueness of his look. The strong Greek nose, complemented by high cheekbones and a sharp jawline were a combination that would take many a woman’s breath away. Niven could imagine he turned many a noble head back home in Trelore.

Niven lowered her countenance for a moment before looking back into his eyes. “And I will share mine with you,” she promised him, though she wondered if he would find her as captivating when he learned she had twins and a Calanon at home. She supposed she would see.

A smile was bestowed upon the fiery-haired elf as he kissed her hand. The laugh, however, confused her and her brow furrowed momentarily before she dismissed her confusion and simply focused on the sound of Travaran’s laughter.

“Indeed!” Niven gently extracted her hand from his grip so she could pull her bow over her head. “I’m not looking for anything in particular, just whatever we happen to come across.”

Reaching behind her for an arrow, she glanced his way. “Do you have any experience hunting? Or with any weapons? Surely you can do more than just be a second set of eyes and ears!"

CIR | SoF

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: