Go Back   Aelyria > Games > Telath > The Aelyrian Empire > District of Maeve

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old November 7, 2018, 04:21 PM   #31 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Wealth Tier: Steel
Niven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious Superhero

Niven was trying so hard just to stay balanced on the bar stool that she didn’t notice the mirth in the dwarf’s eyes or his tone. When he spoke again, she just nodded sombrely. “You just never know!” she said, her words slurring together.

The nodding made her head swim and Niven blinked a few times slowly trying to get her bearings. Her mug was pretty much empty, but whatever Hoskuld was drinking was a helluva lot stronger than anything she was used to. She put her hands down on the bar as she worked to steady the room that was now starting to spin.

She turned to face Hoskuld at his question. “I… I can see the bottom of my cup?” she replied, trying and failing to hold up the flagon she’d been drinking from to peer into it.

“How are you doing?”
The elfess leaned over to peer into Hoskuld's tankard and fell off her stool towards him.

CIR | SoF

Thread Count: 12 + 5
Niven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2018, 07:43 PM   #32 (permalink)
Shields are Yummy

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Hoskuld Coal-beard is a famous HeroHoskuld Coal-beard is a famous Hero

Almost as soon as he had asked Hoskuld realized that another round was a mistake. Niven could hardly keep herself upright. Very well, so instead of ordering another round once he had the barkeep’s attention, he would ask him about how best to get the elfess safely home. He caught Logan’s eye just in time for the man to see Niven topple into him, which caught the dwarf unawares.

”Logan, I was wonderin-OOF!” Whatever the dwarf had been wonderin’ disappeared behind the counter with a loud clatter before he could reveal it, as Niven slammed bodily into his side and knocked him over. Hoskuld’s stubby legs did not reach the ground while seated on the stool, so he didn’t have an anchor to withstand the surprise body-slam, petite though it was.

He crashed heavily to the floor with Niven on top of him, and he jammed his elbow hard, which sent a stinging jolt of pain along the length of his arm. ”Ah! Haya’s feth-“ he bit the curse short as he raised his head from the floor to see if he and his drinking buddy were OK. As soon as he was certain he was not hurt, he sat up slowly, nursing his stinging elbow with his other hand, and looked to see how the elf was. ”Niven! You alright?” he called to her.

As soon as he could manage, he would get to his feet and then try to help Niven do the same, righting his barstool to give them something to lean on. At length he turned back to the barkeep. ”Logan,” he resumed,
his last shred of dignity stuck comically to the side of his face, ”I was wonderin’ how we might get our elf-lady here home?”
Posting will be slow until the weekend of December 8-9, 2018

Last edited by Hoskuld Coal-beard; November 8, 2018 at 07:46 PM.
Hoskuld Coal-beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2018, 08:54 PM   #33 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Wealth Tier: Steel
Niven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious Superhero

Logan, having kept an eye on the ever increasingly inebriated elfess, was quick over when Hoskuld caught his eye. He was in no mind to let her have anymore, but it turned out that it was just as evident to the dwarf as the elfess started to teeter and then topple over onto her shorter drinking companion. The bartender made to reach across the counter to catch his friend, but he was not fast enough. Down she went, taking Hoskuld with her.

Lucky for the elfess, the dwarf broke her fall.

“Oh, I’m sorry” she groaned, as she tried to lift herself off the floor.

It seemed that was not to be, as the moment she tried her head felt like it was filled with lead and her arms didnt seem to want to cooperate. All she managed to to was flop herself over onto her back atop the cold hard floor boards.

Hoskuld attempting to lift her was much like trying to nail pudding to the wall. She could barely lift her arms and her legs didn’t seem to want to work when she tried to stand on them. At least she was light, so the sturdy dwarf would not be pulled over again as he tried to pick her up off the floor.

“Um.....” No, she was certainly not ok. Her body was no longer responding as she wanted it to. And why was the room still spinning? There was nothing physically wrong with the elfess though, or at least nothing she would feel until the morrow.

Logan watched the pair from the other side of the bar, his frame braced against the counter as he leaned over. His expression was one of concern. Usually he would find these antics from his patrons amusing, but he had grown fond of the single mother and worried for her in her current state. At least the dwarf didn’t seem to be the kind of creep who would try to take advantage.

Shaking his head, he turned his attention to the dwarf’s question. “She has sometimes come in a carriage. Is there one outside waiting for her? If not, perhaps you will need to hire one, unless you plan to carry her yourself. At least you know as an elf she isn’t heavy.”

CIR | SoF

Thread Count: 12 + 5
Niven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2018, 07:48 PM   #34 (permalink)
Shields are Yummy

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Hoskuld Coal-beard is a famous HeroHoskuld Coal-beard is a famous Hero

Hoskuld flexed the fingers of his stinging arm. The pain neither lessened nor increased from touching or trying to work the arm; the dwarf new from experience that he would just have to wait for his jangled nerves to regroup and for the pain to pass, which it would after a couple long, burning minutes.

Minutes which would be filled with questions about how he was going to get himself and Niven home. For starters, he didn’t even know where the elf lived. He knew generally what part of town Kailin and Calanon lived in, but had never been to the house, and did not know the way there.

And then there was the question of how. She wasn’t going to get herself there, Hoskuld realized, as her uncooperative limbs and leaden head sagged and swayed this way and that, resisting his attempts to hoist her to her feet. Realizing this was futile, he at least tried to get her to sit up. Carry her? As in, over his shoulder? Not all the way home, light though she was, especially when he was only somewhat steady on his feet himself. Logan’s suggestion to that effect provoked a derisive chuckle from the dwarf.

A carriage? Sounded expensive. And…”No,” he answered, shaking his buzzing head when Logan asked if Niven had come in one. ”Hire one, you say? Sounds expensive. How much do they cost.” How much money did he have on him, anyway? How much money did Niven have?

”I could just leave her here,” he muttered. ”She ain’t my ward or nuthin.” He looked down at her. No, no he could not just leave her here, he realized, and heaved out a resentful groan at his own inconvenient sense of decency.

His mind fumbled for more options than the unappealing ones Logan had offered him. ”What about a wheelbarrow?” he said. ”Riding a barrow ain’t dignified, but neither is being carried over a dwarf’s shoulder. Does that tavern have one I could borrow? Or rent for the darkening?” He picked over his meager options a bit more. ”Or do you have beds here she could crash on until I get her friends to retrieve her?”

Whatever options he had, they would all depend on his knowing one thing. ”Niven,” he said quietly, kneeling down next to her. ”Niven this is important. Where do you live? What’s the address? Do you know how to get there from here?”
Posting will be slow until the weekend of December 8-9, 2018
Hoskuld Coal-beard is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: