Old July 16, 2017, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Wealth Tier: Steel
Adynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious Superhero

[PA] The Runaway and His Throne

Summer Era XXIV

Too many years.

Too many lost opportunities, too much of what was his claimed by the hands of a stranger. Adyn had given it all up the day he had run away. But to see what he had loved once left to rot, empty and uncared for, had stung. And to remember that Lynessa had assured him it would never be his...

There it was, just within his reach.

To reclaim those memories would have meant everything... anything... to him. He considered as much as his fingers brushed against the seams of his pockets, lips puffing anxiously against the stick of sparkle lolling there. He rocked on his heels a moment, staring at the door that belonged to the man who'd claimed to be his brother-in-law. He had not considered that he would come back here, that he would ever bother to make himself vulnerable, especially to whoever now owned the space Aria had once called home.

He closed his eyes a moment, steeled himself, lifted his knuckles to the door.

He hesitated. Maybe this had been a mistake. The last time he'd been here, with that woman - Qiara? He had seen her, spoken with his sister. His throat tightened with the grief of it. The breath that slipped past this lips was ragged, bringing with it a jagged puff of smoke.

He knocked once, twice, ran that hand through his hair, then placed it back into his pocket. His shoulders sank and then straightened again. He stopped rocking on his heels and forced his thoughts to still.

Too many years.

For better or for ill, he convinced himself just then... the road was ready to be walked - and he, to walk it. If he truly wanted what he felt was his, this was something he had to do.

It was time to come back home.
Old July 16, 2017, 04:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

Knock knock knock!

Footsteps! The door opened up. It was navy boy again, his brother-in-law's... brother. So technically still his brother-in-law. Right? Was that how it worked?

"Ah. Hello." Awkward. "...would you like to come in?"
Old July 16, 2017, 08:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Adynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious Superhero

Blue eyes shot upward as the door opened. It was odd how that surprised him, despite the fact that he had been the one to knock and wait. He recognized the boy, the younger navyman who had been watching the home before. Adyn didn't even remember his name.... Had he even gotten it the first time?

"Serale," he offered, feet shifting at the awkward pause that followed. "Uh, sure," to the offer to come in. He snuffed the cigarette before doing so, out of respect for a home that wasn't his, and swept his boots against the stone outside before stepping in.

He glanced around, feeling discomfort and strangeness at knowing this home was once his sister's, and that he was seeing it at a time when he knew she would never be there again. He let his wandering gaze settle back upon the man.

"I'm sorry to bother you again," he started, "But I... I had some questions that I hope you might be able to answer. About my home, the one Aria had lived in before she married your brother. I saw that it was vacant now and..."

He trailed off, realizing it might have been rude to preface his visit this way, to only show up when he needed something from this side of his family he barely knew. Family was foreign to him now, even as deeply as he missed it. He barely knew how to approach it anymore, had barely known even then.

"Your brother. Aria's husband. I... is he well?"
Old July 16, 2017, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

There were lots of things that might have raced through the young man's mind, seeing Adynirach at the door once again. Quite frankly, he didn't really know what the man did for a living. Was it bad that there was even the slightest moment of wondering whether the man was in trouble, or in need of a place to stay, something like that? It was important to take care of family, though, even in these circumstances.

That didn't mean it wasn't a relief that Adynirach's intentions seemed to be something else entirely, though.

If Adynirach was willing, the navyman led him further inside to the sitting room, where he could have a seat and relax. Maybe have something to drink? "Think nothing of it," he reassured Adynirach. It wasn't a bother, really. Adynirach was just lucky he was actually home was all.

He gave Adynirach time to speak his words, collect his thoughts, and figure out what he wanted to say. "Yes! Well..." To be fair, the brother wasn't exactly much of a people person, either. "He keeps himself busy. Travels a lot. Part of the business, you know. Has to speak with people all over the Empire. He's doing well! Very well for himself. Helps out the family a lot, of course. And, you, as well. If you ever need help with that sort of thing, we'd all be more than willing to assist."

Very friendly. Although considering the brother's hesitance, perhaps there were further reasons for Adynirach's brother-in-law not wanting to be in Port Alyxandrya more than he had to.
Old July 17, 2017, 09:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Adyn did step further into the room as the man led him in that direction. He took a seat, although doing so didn't seem to have an effect on his inability to relax. He leaned forward, elbows settled on his knees, listening as the man explained what his brother did.

If it had been anyone else, Adyn would have tuned the fellow out. But he found himself more interested in his words than he thought he'd be, knowing that the subject of the conversation was the man his sister had chosen to spend her life with. Adyn couldn't help but wonder if these two had been anything like her... kind, appreciative of the simple joys in life, lovers of music who found it easy to laugh and smile? Or perhaps she had found an interest in a man who was quite unlike her, one who was shy and uncertain, not too quick to find the kindnesses in others. A little more jaded, perhaps, like him.

His lips pressed into a thin line, one hand shifting restlessly within the other. If the man before him and his offers of help were any indication, Aria had become a part of something good after all. Something worthy of her. And that made him happy, even if it hurt to think on what he'd missed - and what no longer was.

He had his suspicions that the missing brother might have felt similarly, perhaps.

"I'm sad that I've missed him. That I haven't been around. But I'm hoping that will change. I've decided to come back home... to maybe move back into the house my family... our family, owned before..." The war? Her death? He shrugged helplessly. "Before."

He sighed. "I was hoping you might know know what happened after our mother, Lynessa, sold the home? Who she sold it to, or if it went to the city? Who owns it now? I'd like to speak to someone about the possibility of reclaiming it. There are many memories in that home I would very much like to keep."
Old July 18, 2017, 02:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Foreboden!

"Before." Yes.

The man rubbed his chin at Adynirach's slew of questions. "Definitely not the person to be able to answer any of that, unfortunately." Which made sense. He wasn't even the one who had married Aria, after all, and while it was polite to keep up to date with things it wasn't as if he'd really had any obligation to pay that much attention to the in-laws of his sibling. Not to mention, after Aria's death, that had become even more irrelevant.

"I can probably direct you to somebody who can, though. I recall your mother having a bit of back and forth with my brother through letters, I'm pretty sure it had to do with the selling. There was another man involved, I think it had to do with the actual sale." A realtor, perhaps?
Old July 30, 2017, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Adyn found himself nodding when the man said he wasn't the one to ask. He had expected as much, although he had hoped it would end up differently. He was so ready to accept that, that he was almost ready to stand and apologize for bothering the man again.

But then he continued. His eyes shot up as the man mentioned letters, and he couldn't help the strange twist of his fingers that caused his knuckles to turn white. Lynessa had trusted Aria's husband with such details more than she had trusted Adyn himself? Such a thought made him want to feel sick. To hate her more. But he pushed the thoughts aside.

He found himself nodding again. "If you're comfortable letting me read through those, that would helpful, yes. Anything to get me in the right direction."

There is was. A little hope. It was odd, how frequently he was starting to feel that again, when once there had been none.
Old July 30, 2017, 01:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Foreboden!

"I'll go and get them." And with that the man stood up, leaving Adynirach alone for a little while. It was pretty quiet in this home. It seemed like the man lived here by himself. And it didn't seem like Aria's husband was the sort to have found anybody else by now.

It took a bit of time, but before long he returned with a couple of letters in hand, handing them over to Adynirach. "I think he mentioned trying to get in touch with you about this, but he's busy and you're... hard to find."

Rifling through the letters... it seemed Adynirach's mother hadn't been sure about how to go about selling the place. And Aria's husband knew all about real estate, hence the natural point of contact. So he'd provided some advice and put him in touch with a local office who could help her with it. Name, address, it was all there. Adynirach could go out and walk right up to their place right now if he wanted.
Old August 5, 2017, 03:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Model Citizen

The silence in itself was a statement enough - one that Adyn had become all too familiar with in the years that had passed since he had become so familiar with death. He had struggled with it often... struggled with it still, perhaps, if the disquiet in his heart at that moment was any indication. But he waited patiently for this small semblance of his family to return to fill the quiet space again. At least it was here at all.

He stook when the man returned, nodding again. At least the man had thought of Adyn, even if Adyn had selfishly dismissed the man in turn. There had been many other things to consider... the war, the struggles he had had in the eras afterwards. But when he had come back to Port Alyxandrya, he had taken his time in trying to get in touch again. He pursed his lips as his eyes drifted to the contents of the letters.

An office. A name. An address. It was more than he could have hoped for. He thanked the man and offered the letters back if he wanted them. The information was easy to commit to memory, although perhaps it was of no use to him. Either way, Adyn wouldn't mind.

"I'll keep in touch," the rogue promised, if only to ease his own mind in regards to how selfishly he had pushed away this part of Aria's life. Perhaps they wouldn't be bothered either way to know or not know him, but it was important to him that he tried - however well he could, being who he was.

At any rate, he might as well go check out the office. They would likely know whose hands the deed had passed between.
Old August 5, 2017, 04:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Just a nod and clap on the back to send Adynirach off on his way. With any luck, perhaps they'd meet each other again. Maybe Aria's husband would be there! Maybe that'd just make things worse.

To the offices of whatshisface on whereverstreet! It really wasn't too hard to find, no. It was in the wealthier part of town, for one, where the layouts were a little more rigid and easy to follow, as compared to the sprawl of the poorer areas. A nice and easy grid, just find the right street and follow the numbers.

Adynirach found the place! A real estate office. Looked to be a pretty decent-sized operation, at least a few dozen people working here. He was supposed to be looking for a Mr. Murr. Well, their doors were open and they had a front desk just waiting to field questions.
Old August 6, 2017, 03:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Adyn stepped into the office without second thought. If he hesitated any longer, he'd only think too much. It was a nasty habit for the broody rogue, so he often did his best to avoid it when he could.

Mr. Murr was who he was seeking. He approached the front desk, second stick of Sparkle long since extinguished, and nodded an acknowledgment to the person seated there. He asked if Mr. Murr was available, or when he might be so, and explained that he was looking for information on a particular home within Noble's Nest that he helped to deal with some time ago.

He gave the name of the building, the address. And also his surname, since it might help them put two and two together.
Old August 6, 2017, 04:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Foreboden!

A bit of talking and things would start up, as the receptionist checked schedules and looked up forms. Adynirach was lucky! There was a block of empty space right now as a client had deferred a meeting, so he could go and see the man right now if he wished. And if he did he could make his way towards the office, and if he wanted he'd soon enough be sitting across from a very well-groomed omnicat who was already starting to pull out the forms and papers relevant to the property in question.

"So what information were you looking for, Mr. Thorne?"
Old August 8, 2017, 06:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Model Citizen

That was lucky. He'd be interested to see just how long that luck might last. Then again, the more difficult aspects of his journey were well ahead of him, he imagined.

"I'd like to inquire about a particular home," he said. He told him he was interested in who currently owned the one he was looking into. Or, perhaps Mr. Murr was currently involved in its sale and hadn't finalized anything yet. Perhaps it was for sale again.

Just general information, for someone hoping to reacquire the place.
Old August 8, 2017, 07:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Facts!

The house was, in fact, already in the hands of somebody else. The person did not seem to plan on putting it up for sale again anytime soon. A Miss Ancona, of the wealthy Ancona merchant family.

Adynirach might have briefly recalled hearing about some sort of scandal. A move to another part of town had apparently been necessary.
Old August 9, 2017, 07:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Ah, that was a shame, the rogue's expression seemed to say. Mentally, however, he was tucking the name away for his own benefit. To hear of a scandal might have been good news for him - although it was too soon to say. Still, he wasn't so ready to give up on it at all.

He thanked Mr. Murr for his time. Later that afternoon he made a trip to one of the taverns near the part of town where the scandal would have taken place. He waited at the bar for a bit, listened in on things, tried to hone in on a few locals who might have seemed amenable to a little company. Maybe there were some folks he could buy some drinks for, strike up some conversation? Nothing too ambitious for now, just trying to ease into small talk.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: