Old May 22, 2017, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Wealth Tier: Steel
Adynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious Superhero

[PA] Just Like Gold

Summer Era XXIV

The patrons of the Red Sky at Night in the Gut were as shifty and downtrodden as ever, Adyn observed. His eyes swept the lot of them as he made his trek from the door to the bar, head bobbing a greeting to the person tending it before he found himself a seat. He ordered one of their more expensive ales, something he knew from experience still wasn't the most palatable thing to consume during conversation, but... it helped to offer coin when looking for information, that much her certainly knew.

He had come prepared enough without having donned a full set of armor for the journey back through. A plain tunic and breeches, worn boots, clothing he would have worn to blend into the seedier parts of Prime. At the small of his back and in his boot, however, were sheathed a couple of steel daggers - hidden well enough to leave him with something he could defend himself with, but not so large that he might have them removed at the entrance to the tavern.

When the bartender wasn't busy tending to other patrons at the bar, Adyn offered him another nod, expression showing that he was clearly in want of a conversation. He tilted his head when they neared, eyes giving a cursory but meaningful brush of the tavern before he spoke.

"Been a while.... Was hoping you could help me out. I'm looking to get back up to speed with the goings-on around the city... who's who, where the jobs are currently at, state of trade... that kind of thing." Such affairs were often different when they had to do with - or extended from - the Gut, after all. "Willing to pay, of course."
Adynirach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Manslut McBabymaker

Calanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious Superhero

The bartender was not known to Adyn. But like any in his profession, in this district, he could read people well enough. And as the Rogue put forward his question, the dark and watchful eyes in the lean face of the human man were appraising him, taking his measure.

Idly wiping down the drying tankards as he listened, the barkeep flicked the grubby rag he’d been using up and over his shoulder, looking expectantly at the customer at the mention of coin for his trouble.

“That sort of talk don’t come cheap fella. Could get a man in trouble if he were spouting off to the wrong kinda folk”

The man’s eyes scanned casually around the room as he spoke, ever aware of wagging ears. He wouldn’t have stayed alive very long if he hadn’t developed such caution. Equally, he wouldn’t be planning to set up his own weapons-running game out of the city if he hadn’t learnt to exploit the opportunities presented to him. Donavan had set aside a quite tidy nest egg ready to make his move when the time was right. All courtesy of people just like Adyn. People who wanted to know things that he knew, things that were whispered about over pints of the piss poor ale that he poured day after day.

So he waited to see exactly how interested this one was.
charybdis >> grim :And crying.
Hoskuld & Walt :...and it was a weird time.
CIR
Secrets
Calanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017, 03:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Adynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious Superhero

Adyn canted his head to the side. He had expected the price to be upped before it had been given. What he could never be sure of was what kinds of currency people were most interested in around here. It often varied. Favors, cold hard coin, information for information. He appraised the bartender silently.

"And how much would make it worth it to you, then, Monsieur?" This was spoken as Adyn slid what might have been a few days' wages for most of these people toward the other side of the bar. He pulled a stick of Rapture from his pocket and added it to the mix, figuring that the man might as well know what sort of information Adyn hoped to claim from this bargain.

"Say that I might want to sell some of that here in Maeve," he explained. "Just interested in what the powers-that-be might think of it, that's all."

He eyed the bartender, taking careful note of the way the man moved and the directions his eyes shifted when he spoke. Adyn lifted his mug toward his mouth in the meantime and took a drink, avoiding the instinct to make a face as he did so.
Old May 30, 2017, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Manslut McBabymaker

Calanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious Superhero

Donovan eyed the coin that was slid across the bar with the arch of an eyebrow and a small smile. Without breaking stride, he deftly swept it away under the cloth he had been using, pocketed the coin and picked up the stick of Rapture, sniffing it before shrugging and tucking it behind his ear.

“ That’ll do as a start, gaffer”

The man moved away for a second to serve a man at the end of the bar, making no move to acknowledge Adyn’s question. He chatted amiably with the fellow for a couple of minutes before he eventually returned to the Rogue, serving up a small bowl of crispy pig skin as a pretence to talk a little longer to the newcomer.

“ Powers that be would wanna know they’d be getting their cut is all. Happens they turn a blind eye as long as their pockets are bein lined.”

His tone was light, conversational as he polished down the bar. “Not seen your face around here before. You new to town?””
CIR
Secrets
Old June 2, 2017, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Adyn sighed and tapped his own stick of Rapture onto the counter. It flipped within his fingers and he tapped the other side. This continued as he waited for the man to return. He knew the drill, anyway. Keep busy, look casual, yadda yadda.

The rogue had no qualms about grabbing one of the items from the bowl and popping it into his mouth. He chewed, bobbing his head at what the bartender said. That didn't, exactly, answer his question - but he could read between the lines. Bribing the government? Eh, Adyn didn't have any problems with that. Circumventing the law was something he did all the time, after all. And if not him, it would just be someone else. If one couldn't beat that particular cycle of corruption, might as well take advantage of it.

"That's doable. And who would sort that out for me?" He doubted they'd want to speak with him directly - not yet, anyway. He could be anyone. Not that he could see the guard or the government having the resources to weed out corrupt officials. But no one in these parts got as far as they did without a healthy dose of paranoia.

"Nah, not really." He wasn't about to admit he used to be a local around the Gut, though. Even if his old debts had long since dissolved, Adyn wasn't stupid enough to press his luck. The tattoos under his collar made him wary enough as it was.

"Just... haven't been around for a while, that's all."
Old June 5, 2017, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Manslut McBabymaker

There was a brief pause as Donovan studied Adyn, wondering what constituted ' a while'. The last thing he needed was to accidentally be offending some old business associate of his boss. But then really, if that were the case, then surely the man would not be asking such basic questions. Unless he was being tested. The barkeep sucked on his teeth as he considered that possibility, eyeing Adyn shrewdly before he answered the man's question

"Might be that you're talkin' to someone who could help put you in touch with the right people, my good sir." Another glance about the tavern, before he leant in a little closer. " Of course, to do that, we're gonna need to know a little bit more about you".

If the sudden switch to the collective pronoun wasn't enough to raise Adyn's suspicions to a shift in their conversation, then the two meaty hands that clapped down on either shoulder and lifted him bodily from his perch on the stool probably did.

Without much say in the matter, the Rogue found himself being propelled toward a door at the end of the bar, which Donovan held open for him with a nod and a wink. Then Adyn was given a push that sent him staggering forward into the room.

Behind him, he could sense the two heavies remained, and before him, a large desk dominated the space. A woman had booted feet propped up on the top, her arms folded across her chest.

"Your money and your questions got you in here, friend. What you have to say for yourself now will determine whether you walk out or not. Now start talking, who the feth are you, and what is your business here?"
CIR
Secrets
Old June 5, 2017, 09:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Model Citizen

If the man leaning forward had not been sign enough of what Adyn had been wary of this entire time, the tone of voice surely was. The rogue's tapping of the cigarette came to an abrupt end and his shoulders stiffened a little. He slowly sat up straighter, brow knitting as he eased toward the edge of the stool. Sticking around too much longer might be a bad idea. It was time to take his questions elsewhere.

He groaned upon realizing that it was too late. He felt the weight of his body lift from the chair, and a small sneer twisted his features as he was forced to pass the barkeep on the way to the door. He stumbled forward, visibly shook off the feeling of being shoved in a direction he didn't want to go, then set about smoothing the wrinkles that the two men had put into his shirt.

Only after that did his eyes shift to the boots and then to the woman they belonged to. His lips twisted and his jaw set tightly at the threat. Tell him she might kill him, then bitch at him for answers? The childish defiance in him threatened to bubble up. But he'd asked for this, hadn't he? He took in a breath and told himself not to snark at her. That wouldn't get him anywhere.

"My "business" is just getting started. And I'm just trying not to piss off the wrong people with what, where, and how I go about it. Am I to guess you're the 'wrong people'? Or maybe you know a few."

As if she'd tell him who she worked for. But he had a particular group in mind that he'd like to approach in regards to said business, and he was curious to know if this woman had any ties to them at all. He wasn't about to go spewing the details of his arrangement to just anyone, though. The last thing he needed was someone trying to rope things out from under him. He needed to stay in control of this, not get played like some puppet by the first person looking to take advantage of him.

"As for me, I haven't been around here in over a decade, Mademoiselle. I'm a nobody around these parts. But I have a drug distributor from another city looking to break into some new markets, and I had an inclination to come back home. So here I am."
Old June 8, 2017, 02:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Manslut McBabymaker

Amber eyes remained impassive,cool as they rested upon the Rogue, even as his face betrayed his annoyance. He did well to temper his tone, for his host had little patience for surliness. He was, afterall, the one who had wandered into her bar asking questions.

Samia was not so keen to dismiss the man that she would not hear what he had to say for himself, but equally, if she got even a whiff of untruth from him, it was no skin off her nose to let him bleed out in the alley behind the tavern. There was enough trouble to keep her busy without worrying about nosey newcomers with suspicious agendas. So she let him speak, the unforgiving sweep of her brows lifting only a touch at his rather flippant tone.

And when Adyn fell silent again, there was a long pause before her eyes flickered over his shoulder, and she lifted a staying hand to the men who were obviously readying themselves to relocate the Rogue.

"You have an arrangement with a distributor already?" she asked, nodding a fraction, so that Adyn turned to see a chair had been set behind him, a huge hulk of a man stepping back toward the wall where he resumed his sentry position.

The woman waited for his answer, a severe expression, aquiline nose and the strange golden eyes giving her a rather predatory appearance. She was not pretty, but had a certain fierce type of beauty, if one looked hard enough. It had served her well enough in a world where she dealt with a lot of men who would be only to happy to take her for no more than warm and willing body if she would allow it.

"You are right in as much that you don't want to piss me off..Mr...? But I would be interested in knowing more of your plans. I have friends who would be more than interested, if you have a strong supply chain"
CIR
Secrets
Old June 11, 2017, 09:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Model Citizen

The rogue's lips twisted a moment, but after a glance at the chair he seated himself and placed his hands onto the armrests. He wasn't too keen on being put into this position during an obvious interrogation. Chairs were easy to tie people to. They kept one off their feet.

Still, what choice did he have? He focused on the woman's words instead, head tilting in acknowledgement of the question. "I have a direct arrangement with the only producer, so I have a strong supply. Steady transportation between the source and Port Alyx has already been arranged. Distribution... is in the works, if demand were to push me to that point, but if you have suggestions...."

It was only natural, after all, that this woman or her contacts might want a piece of the pie. And Adyn was not opposed to that. The mutual benefits that could be achieved through such an arrangement were not something to turn one's nose up at. And Adyn's roots had long been pulled from the soil of this city, so if he truly wanted to grow within his hometown again, he would have to work with those who had the connections he was currently lacking.

Even so, there was also the opportunity for distributing and smuggling the goods elsewhere as well - Further throughout Maeve, for instance, and even between neighboring provinces. All Sliucha wanted was to sell, and to help her own province grow. If this woman's reach extended beyond the city, too, there were ample chances for growth for both himself and for his partners... and plenty of ways in which one could fund the other.

"Adyn," was his response to the request for a name. He figured if his new friend was looking to give him hers, she would do so eventually.

And, perhaps, if he offered her enough information. With a soft sigh, he decided to acquiesce.

"My plans are to open a location here in Port Alyx from which to sell the goods. As demand increases, I'd be hoping to distribute throughout the city and, eventually, throughout the province as well. I'm interested in finding someone who might have the experience and connections necessary to move the goods. Possibly protection from competitors, and from the law, if that should be a potential problem."

His hands lifted and his fingers splayed. "If you believe that would interest your friends, then I am open to a dialogue, Mademoiselle."

Last edited by Adynirach; June 17, 2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old June 13, 2017, 02:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Manslut McBabymaker

Samia cocked her head to the side at Adyn's request for suggestions regarding distribution. The man had an interesting proposition, if he were indeed telling the truth, and there were those that she knew who would like to know more. But that was the thing, how did she know he was telling the truth? There were enough youngsters out there who could talk a good talk, which was fine up to a point. Often the sharp point of a blade.

"Lets not get ahead of ourselves...Adyn is it?" She swept her feet off the desk and leant her elbows upon it instead, looking at the Rogue from under raised brows. " I like that you are ambitious. I like the sound of what you are looking to do. But, I'm sure you understand, I need to see sight of your merchandise before we talk any further."

She gave a small nod to the figures Adyn knew stood at the back of the room.

"Now I hope you dont mind, but I'd appreciate it if you'd let my friends here empty your pockets. We don't want any unpleasant surprises now do we?"

They at least gave him the option to get to his feet himself. Assuming he was playing nice, Adyn would find himself systematically searched, his weapons removed and set on the desk, along with the contents of his pockets. If that idea wasn't to his liking...well, things might go down rather differently.
CIR
Secrets
Old June 18, 2017, 01:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Model Citizen

There was a shrug from the rogue as the woman appraised him anew and mentioned his merchandise. He had some of it with him, naturally, but he made no move to reach for it knowing that he was being eyeballed by the brutes behind him. Not to mention, Samia had the cat-like mien of a woman who knew her way around a weapon, and Adyn was too close for comfort to make any sudden moves.

Such was why he expected as much when she offered to empty his pockets for him. He canted his head and stood obediently when the men approached, making it a point to notify them of the dagger housed at the small of his back, as well as the spring-loaded switchblade within his right pocket. He settled the palms of his hands on the back of his head to keep them out of the way, as well as to make it clear that he was of no interest to fight their search.

What they found was some coin, a small pouch of Sliucha's various drugs that he was peddling, and should they search well enough, a set of lockpicks in a hidden pocket on the inside of his shirt.

What he didn't mention, and simply allowed them to find themselves (if they managed it, anyway), was the dagger hidden on the inside of the calf of his right boot. He did wear a thin band on his right ring finger, and if they seemed to take interest in that, he would acquiesce in removing it - but made no effort to call attention to it otherwise.

Beyond that, he wore or carried little else, and watched as those meager belongings were set on display before him. He would very much have liked them back toward the end of the meeting, especially given the expense of that switchblade, and so he noted if they decided to stow them away elsewhere.

"Rapture, Felicium, Candypop, Sparkle, Jubilee, Pink Lotus," he said of the drugs in the pouch. "Try them if you like, but I would recommend steering clear of anything but the Rapture or Sparkle if you want to keep a clear head about you." Not that he wouldn't have gotten a decent amount of entertainment at seeing the effects of the Pink Lotus in play, but he doubted that would warm him to Samia... well, at least not once the drug's effects had worn off afterwards, anyway.
Old June 25, 2017, 04:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Manslut McBabymaker

And so Adyn was summarily divested of his weapons, including the secreted dagger, at which Samia simply raised a dark brow, his drugs and coin. The lockpicks remained where they were, whilst the rest of his possessions were laid out on the desk in front of him, in front of the woman. Her gaze swept over the weapons with disinterest, but she seized upon the pouch with more more animation, spilling the contents on to the wooden surface in front of her, picking up each and examining it before setting it down again.

" I have not heard of these... what do you get the most market for?"

Eyes cut up to the Rogue questioningly. She was not about to go smoking some **** that a random was peddling in her pub, but he certainly had a good array of merchandise. Perhaps he was legit. She would need to get these tested, and if they were any good, she would send someone with a message. Set up a meeting. But that was getting ahead of herself. She swept the drugs back into the pouch and beckoned over one of the heavies.

"Take these to the alchemist- have her test them and report back to me. She has two brigtenings and I want her report. Give her one of the street boys to test them on."

And so Adyn watched his goods depart with the thug, on their way to opening up some new doors for him. Perhaps.

The woman called his attention back to her. " If your stuff is good, come back and see me in four brightenings. Dononvan will see you through.If its bad, dont worry..I will find you instead"

There was no change in her intonation, but it was not needed. Her eyes made that little promise into more of a threat as they narrowed upon the Rogue.

" If you do come back, then know your terms, and we can go from there.Do we have an accord?"

Both slanted brows now arched as she waited for her answer, before a hand swept over the array of his possessions as if offering them back to him. Samia gave Adyn a last once over with her eyes before she exited the room without a further word, leaving Adyn in the company of the one remaining grunt man. It would seem he had been dismissed.
CIR
Secrets
Old July 2, 2017, 01:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Model Citizen

At the woman's question, he raised a shoulder. "Rapture, Jubilee... Pink Lotus." They were probably the most popular, most tested ones. The safest of the lot, as well. His grin went broad and crooked when the woman's glare shot up toward him, as he'd pretty much assumed that she wouldn't bite when it came to testing some random substances. But hey, the offer had been made, at least, as much as it had failed to amuse either of them.

He then watched as his samples went off and away, inwardly bidding farewell to his expensive merchandise. His arms slowly lowered as the woman offered him a window for return, but judging by the look on his face, he seemed to hold no fears as to whether or not his goods were "bad". Or perhaps he was as arrogant a bastard as he looked, but at least the validity of that could be proven in time. In truth, if there was anything Adyn had confidence in, it was the quality of what Sliucha produced.

"Of course we do. I'll be back," he assured her. And with that he waited for the woman depart before retrieving his goods and leaving the place swiftly behind. He had no wish to remain any longer than that. His business there, for now, was done.

As for his return, he made good on that. This was a business transaction he was well and personally vested in. Four brightenings, just as agreed, straight to Donovan to see how Samia had fared in her research. And then he would wait, his terms and questions in mind, his concerns safely tucked beneath the surface.
Old July 5, 2017, 07:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Manslut McBabymaker

The Red Sky at Night was raucious and rowdy when Adyn returned ,
four brightenings later as arranged. Well at least he was punctual. Given that he had not received any visits from Samia's crew, he could only assume that his product had not failed him, and that there was real conversation to be had now. And the raised brows and sideways grin of the familiar bar man were suggestive of the same.

"Welcome back, pal"

Donovan poured a whiskey for the rogue,pushing it across the bar toward him, before he went and murmured something to a scraggy youth in the corner, who soon disappeared. There was a wait then, whilst the barman went about his job and paid little heed to the rogue, and Adyn was left to ponder of what he wanted to get out of this opportunity.

Probably half a candlemark, and another whiskey if he was thirsty, had passed before Donovan paused in his work and gave Adyn a nod. He then led him towards the same door that he had been led through last time, holding it ajar for Adyn to walk through, where Samia stood this time, an almost welcoming smile upon her face.

"Mr Thorne" She had bothered to find out his full name then. " I'm so glad you could join us again. We've been most impressed with your offering"

It was then, as there was a pause for the rogue to respond, that something hard and heavy connected with his skull, and he had a moment to feel the scratch of something rough being pulled over his head before the world dimmed and went black.

When Adyn's senses returned to him, along with a vivid throbbing in his head, he opened his eyes to find he was not in Samia's office any longer. Nor in fact, in the Red Sky at all. He's been propped in the corner of a plush seat, his face smushed into where the back met the arm, an attractive string of drool reaching from his lip to the velvet fabric. He should probably wipe that off. This **** looked expensive. He was not bound in any way, but he would find himself divested of any weapons he might have had on his person. They'd searched him as thoroughly as possible without straying into violation.

If he sat up, once his eyes had adjusted, he would see he was in a study of some kind. Bookshelves lined the walls, along with glass cabinets containing all kinds of curios. And sat around a large table of dark, heavy wood, were three figures. One the Rogue recognised, Samia was bent low looking at some papers set in front of a jowely man seated next to her. And to his left, a younger man, not much older than Adyn, who turned a sharp gaze upon the movement he caught in the corner of his eye.

"Oh look Samia, your sleeping beauty awakes"
CIR
Secrets
Old July 8, 2017, 02:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Adyn could hardly have been surprised when Samia's people didn't come. In fact, he had been genuinely satisfied and comfortable in the confidence that they wouldn't. Such certainty was clear when he sauntered back into the Red Sky as if on another day of business, eyeing the familiar bartender when the man greeted him and offered him a whiskey.

He turned the tumbler in his hands but didn't take a drink. They weren't far enough along in negotiations for Adyn to dismiss any paranoia. And really, the further along they went, the more wary he would surely be. The fact that the barman hardly seemed to pay him any attention made the act of ignoring the whiskey easier for him.

He had grown restless by the time they finally offered him the door, but he was glad to finally be moving forward again. He nodded at the woman when she welcomed him inside, appearing unsurprised at her announcement.

He opened his mouth as if to say something when the blow landed without warning, and his hands barely had the time to reach upward in defense before his world went completely black.

It was a good thing no nightmares found him, then.

He awoke to a bitter enough anger as it was, one that seemed to mingle with the harsh throbbing at his temples. He frowned, shifting slowly as he tried to process the discomfort of reality, then groaned as he inched up and away from the furniture.

The first thing to slip from his lips was a fervent swear. The back of his hand completed its brush against the corner of his mouth even as he bit back the urge to spit on the material. He paid his surroundings - and the voice - little heed as he fought the overwhelming urge to let his emotions bubble over.

"You couldn't have put a fething sack over my head and called it a day?" The venom in his tone was as bright as it could be without bordering on violent. Even if his knuckles had gone white. "****."

He cringed, touching a hand to the back of his head where the blow felt as if it had broken the skin. Maybe his brain. He sat back and let his fingertips trail down the back of his neck, which he rubbed in attempt to urge the tension away from the muscles there.

They had better not be wasting his time, he thought. They could have fething killed him with a smack like that one, and it was incredibly clear from the way he glared in their directions that the thought far from amused him.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: