Old May 8, 2017, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Wealth Tier: Steel
Adynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious Superhero

[The Sea!] A-Sailing We Will Go

Summer Era XXIV

Adyn exhaled a cloud of blue smoke as he stepped onto the docks, hands in pockets, eyes squinting against the bright summer sky. His gaze swept the horizon and the smattering of ships, seeking out a particular pattern to the sails that might indicate some sort of dragon.

He moved through the rush of workers and sailors, inhaling the sweetness of the Sparkle mixed with the salt and fish so typical of the docks. It wasn't the best combination of which to fill one's senses, but the nostalgia of the environment and the warmth of the drug were both enough to satisfy him even amid the discomfort. His boots thud against the wood as he continued on, but he was in no particular rush in his search. He had the rest of the day ahead of him.

He asked a few passers-by if they knew where the Impolite Dragon might be docked. He eventually had a dock worker point him in the right direction, and at last blue eyes settled upon the obvious symbolism of the sails. Stick of Sparkle lolling between his lips, the man approached one of the first crew members he could find.

"Lookin' to hire a ship and yours was recommended," he said. Nevermind that the recommendation had come from the captain herself. Also nevermind that she hadn't known she was recommending anything to Adyn. The masked man had likely been a far more intriguing guest to invite than the old friend she had forced to eat mud as kids. But that was neither here nor there.

"Is your captain available? I can come back another time..."
Adynirach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017, 05:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hero

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Rosie Kyrillos is a glorious SuperheroRosie Kyrillos is a glorious SuperheroRosie Kyrillos is a glorious Superhero

As the man made his way up the gangplank to the pretty little schooner, a gruff looking sailor with an eyepatch stopped him on the quarterdeck. He had long brown hair tied back in a bun and rather impressive beard.

"Hire? Captain didn't tell me we was lookin' fer work," he grumbled a little bit and motioned for Adyn to follow him.

They entered the skin of the ship and made their way aft towards the captain's cabin. The sailor didn't bother to knock, he just opened the door and shouted inside, "Some guy is 'ere talkin' about hiring us fer work or somethin'" He shrugged at Adyn and motioned for him to go on inside and do whatever the particulars of business were to be had. He didn't want any part of it. It all sounded rather dull. Plus he had a watch station in which to return.

The cabin was wasn't overly spacious, but it was comfortable. Impeccably clean, too. Rosie took great pride in how clean her ship was. There was a large bed in one corner, several treasure chests, a table with two chairs, and a desk. That was the only sign of disarray in the room. The desk was strewn with papers.

One particular pile of paper was currently being held down by a pair of resplendent black boots. Rosie was leaning back in her chair, smoking a normal cigarette and sipping on a glass of rum. She was taking a break. Paperwork wasn't the most exciting thing and breaks were a necessity.

"And what can I do for-" her eyes finally settled on the man in her cabin and her smug look turned into one of shock. "Huh?" The last time they'd seen each other hadn't been the most pleasant. That question was quickly followed by, "How?" She didn't even have a ship the last time they'd spoken. "Have you been spying on me?"

~Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans~
~SoF~
Rosie Kyrillos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Adynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious Superhero

Adyn grunted and shrugged his shoulders. Rosie could have been booked up for all he knew, but that's what he was here to find out. He didn't have the patience to go lazing around all the local taverns, or creeping about the docks waiting for her to leave her ship. At that point he might as well have pursued another captain, so it was a good thing the bearded man decided to take him up anyway.

The rogue followed behind and dipped his head in thanks to the sailor as the man made his way back to his post. Adyn stepped inside, hands still in pockets, puffing silently on his cigarette. His brows lifted at the clean state of the room - it would seem Rosie was far better kept than he was. He wasn't sure why he was surprised by that, especially as his gaze settled upon the familiar set of boots.

His lips quirked softly, but his gaze was one of understanding when her expression became one of... near-horror, perhaps. Truth be told, the meeting between her and the cousins was a memory that never failed to tire him somehow. Even now his shoulders felt heavier. He shrugged them though, as if to try and shake the weight, and exhaled a cloud of light blue smoke.

"Didn't tell you I was a spy?" came his cigarette-muffled response, "Thought I told you that already. You wouldn't believe how many people have it out for the sparky captain of a little schooner with a penchant for bad, bad words."

He rocked back on his heels, the wryness in his tone dying in favor of a more solemn and truthful response. "I asked around. Not many blonde ladies with shiny boots manning the boats around these parts." Another shrug.

"Anyway, I might be looking to hire. You looking for work?"
Old May 8, 2017, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hero

Rosie Kyrillos is a glorious SuperheroRosie Kyrillos is a glorious SuperheroRosie Kyrillos is a glorious Superhero

She took a long drag on her cigarette when he began talking about being a spy. There were many things that she could see him doing, being sneaky enough to actually spy on her himself was not one of them. From what she had gleamed of her childhood friend since reuniting with him, he wasn't one for moving stealthily. Mostly he lumbered. Oftentimes making her fall as well. It was a good thing they were on a ship right now, as she didn't really feel like taking a swim in her clothing again. Somehow she always ended up drenched when he was around. She finished her rum just in case.

"You might be close to the truth with that assumption, mon petit fugitif. Apparently my bad, bad words offend some," she shrugged and removed her boots from the desk. Snuffing her cigarette into the ashtray, she motioned for him to take a seat at the desk.

As his tone changed, Rosie's face softened somewhat. He'd asked around for her? She couldn't for the life of her understand why he would bother. There were any number of ships he could have hired. All captained by people who didn't annoy him. It was a strange thing to realize that maybe he didn't hate her as much as she thought he did. Or perhaps he just knew a great sailor when he saw one. That was more likely.

"I don't have any ties to my brother's business, if its a Kyrillos contract you're after, Monsieur Thorne." Even if her brother begged her and offered her a galleon, she wouldn't work for him. She would consider it for a time though. Consider stealing the galleon and galavanting around the globe in the massive ship. But in the end, she would refuse him. There wasn't anything left for her in that business.

"I must say, that I am flattered you would go through the trouble of finding me," she grinned at him genuinely. Maybe there was still a little bit of her little runaway in the man before her. The one who enjoyed getting dirty and stealing her father's cigarettes. A fondness threatened to grow within her, which she tamped down rather easily.

"What sort of goods are you looking to move, hm? The kind that I can show the guard? Or the sort that I'll need to be extra careful with and keep out of sight?" Prices went up the more discreet she and her crew would have to be. Silence was expensive.

~SoF~
Old May 8, 2017, 07:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Model Citizen

It would seem his white lies had caused her to ease a little bit. That was good. He didn't want to explain that he had mentioned the ship and not Rosie when he had asked around. Nor did he want to explain how he had gotten that name. Better to just go with the fact that he knew her by name and appearance and call it at that.

He took the seat that was motioned to, immediately sinking into it with a slouched posture not very suited to a gentleman. He took hold of the Sparkle with two fingers and exhaled, shaking his head as he did so.

"Not here for family names," he admitted. "If anything, names are what I'm looking to avoid." Tying his goods to the Alyxandas wasn't really preferable, after all, and this was meant to be his endeavor and his alone. The only problem was that he had no ships to his own name. Rosie was the only person he knew right now that was worth approaching for the time being.

He ran a hand through his hair, rubbed briefly at the back of his head and then leaned back a little more, chuckling at the smile he caught sight of as his eyes lifted again.

"Well, I trust you more than I do a complete stranger." Not exactly the most flattering admission to throw in the face of what was clearly a genuine reaction, but he wasn't sure what more to say. He pushed on with business instead.

"Drugs. From Moonstone," he answered honestly, holding up the stick of Sparkle that lolled between his fingers. And then he shrugged. "I'm working out the details. What I'm looking to sell shouldn't be illegal - it's mostly benign - though it may be taxed pretty heavily. I'm working on figuring that out." The stick went back between his lips and he took a soft drag on it.

"In the meantime, if you were interested, I was hoping to see the route. Get a feel for how you work, since I haven't before. Because with luck this would be a longer term contract and I'm looking for a relationship, not a one-stop-shop."

He exhaled. "It's in the early stages right now, but I'm hoping to get things up and running as soon as I can. Just mapping things out, planning a little. Thought I'd ask you first before I went shopping around elsewhere. Given how quickly you got your ship... well, you can't be half bad at what you do." He flashed her a grin at that.
Old May 8, 2017, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hero

She laughed heartily at his admission that he trusted her more than a stranger. "That makes so much more sense," truly it did. She breathed a little sigh of relief that there wasn't something completely strange going on here. The revelation made it easier for her to settle back in her chair.

The marlinspike from her pocket was removed, and she began to idly flip it around. Her hand stopped briefly at the mention of drugs. She hadn't been expecting him to be so forthright with what he transporting. Just the category of discreet or not would have been enough. "Okay..." She didn't care about drugs or if they were legal. It was just strange that he was telling her all this. She couldn't quite put her finger on why yet.

She cleared her throat and shifted slightly. "The route to where, Monsieur Thorne?" Of all the things he wished to keep a secret, it wasn't the nature of his cargo, it was the route. That was a problem. "I have yet to figure out a way to deliver things if I don't know the destination."

"You are welcome to come along on a voyage. We're set to get underway in two brightenings anyway. Just a quick run Medonia and back. It could be prolonged to go where you need. If you work for your ride. The men would never forgive me if I allowed a passenger onboard who didn't earn his keep," she paused, considering something.

"You're not still green about the gills are you?" She remembered the last time she'd offered to take him out on a boat, he'd used that excuse. It could have been a lie. But a simple no would have sufficed. If was a lie, then that would have made him a liar. She wasn't quite sure how she would feel working for someone made a habit of lying about inane things.

She grinned at his veiled compliment. "Ah, the story of how I came to be captain of this gorgeous vessel is quite the tale. If you're lucky, I'll tell it to you sometime." She ignored the other part of that and preferred to focus on the positive. Let him have his jest. For now.

"Either way," she shrugged, "I'm certain we could work something out."

~SoF~
Old May 8, 2017, 08:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Model Citizen

The man didn't seem to notice her confusion or hesitation. He figured she'd see the goods easily enough, and given he was convinced that they weren't exactly illegal, he hadn't had the intention of needing to be discreet. But maybe he was being too casual about it all. It wasn't as if he and Rosie truly called one another friends. Maybe he felt that after his help in the Gut, she might feel less inclined to be an ass about the goods. Or maybe he was being a fool. Who knew?

At any rate, Adyn looked somewhat bewildered when the woman asked after the route. He supposed it had been obvious enough to him that he didn't consider it might not be to her. "Well... here, of course," he answered, taking another drag. He then waved his hand in dismissal at needing to go as far as Moonstone. "I'm sure Medonia is far enough. But if you're keen on visiting Ziel Aerca, that's your perogative. I won't complain." There was good gambling there, after all, and the governor was never short on work to offer him.

He shrugged, then, at having to earn his keep. "Yeah, I get it. Not that kinda ship and all. I don't mind working. But..." He was about to warn her that he did have issues with seasickness, and that part of why he wanted to do this was to try and urge his stomach to toughen up. But once she had broached the topic herself, and with that tone of voice, his lips twisted in uncertainty. He found himself unwilling to admit the vulnerability aloud.

"I'll find something for it. An alchemist, maybe. I'm sure there're ways to deal with that." He waved a hand dismissively but then rubbed at his neck, crossing an ankle over the other leg.

He chuckled softly at the promise of a story. He was sure that however it had turned out in real life, the story itself was bound to be a good one. "Yeah? You do-" He stopped himself just short of insisting that she owed him an ale. She had given him his money back, hadn't she? And she still wasn't aware that had been him. He cleared his throat and let the rest of her words urge the conversation along.

"Excellent." He was genuinely glad to hear she was open to the idea of the arrangement. "Two brightenings, then? Tell me what I need and I'll be ready."
Old May 8, 2017, 08:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hero

It wasn't that she was adverse to the idea of taking him on a passenger/potential partner, it was more the fact that it meant there would be no pirate escapades on this voyage now. That meant it would be less lucrative. That hurt. The crew wouldn't be too excited about the prospect either. They'd all become accustomed to sighting foreign sails by now. They'd have to be on their behavior this time. She hoped it was worth it.

She made a clicking noise with the back of her tongue. Maneuvering the ship down the river to the land-locked Ziel Aerca wasn't something that she wanted to do without properly scouring over maps and passageways. "We'll see where the tide takes us then, hm?" It was a non-commitment and non-refusal, so he could take it any way he wished really. She didn't believe for a second that he wouldn't complain. She could foresee a lot of complaining. This was going to be a grand adventure.

Her eyebrows raised at his "But..." Her head inclined for him to go on with his thought. She scoffed at the thought of using some sort of alchemy mumbo jumbo. "There are ways to deal with it, Monsieur Thorne, and you don't even have to use strange potions."

She stood and kicked open one of her treasure chests. Rosie bent and started to rummage through the things in there. Clothes mostly. A few gold coins. Nothing near what she had before her shipwreck. That would come with time though. At least she was on the right track now. She mumbled a few times as she sifted through things and finally grinned, "Aha!" She held her prize out towards him.

Two pink beaded bracelets. They were unassuming in nature, nothing remarkable to be seen about them. "Place one of these on each of your wrists and you're seasickness will be a thing of the past." She sauntered over to him and handed over the bracelets before leaning against the front of her desk. Her arms crossed over her chest while she watched his reaction.

Realizing maybe a little more explanation was needed, she continued, "They use the pressure points in your wrists. No magic. No alchemy. Simply good-old-fashioned human ingenuity." She smiled at him encouragingly, hoping he would believe her.

Again her eyebrows rose when a sentence was left lingering in the air. "Are you quite well, Monsieur Thorne? You are acting even more strangely than usual," a look of genuine concern rose to her face. The doctor wasn't onboard right now. She knew the basics, but if his brain was about to explode, Rosie would have had no idea what to do besides scream. And then lament about how much mess he had made in her cabin. Then she would weep for his loss. In that order only.

Thankfully, his brains remained in his head and he continued on with the conversation. "Unless you have an aversion to rum and stew, all you need is your clothing and your weapons."

~SoF~
Old May 8, 2017, 09:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Model Citizen

"Works for me." He could go to Medonia or Ziel Aerca. The trip by ship might be difficult at first, but he was intent on making the best of it.

He did look surprised at dealing with the seasickness, though. He hadn't heard of anything, personally, but he supposed he had just gotten around to hanging with the sailing types again. He watched as she stood and began to rifle through her belongings.

He put the Sparkle back between his lips as he reached out for whatever it was she handed him. His brows lifted and he laughed. "Now ain't that a pretty sight," he said, jingling the pink-colored beads before him. They didn't have any contamination on them, and didn't seem to emanate any form of essence. He glanced at her skeptically.

"Ah." He tilted his head at the explanation, actually taking the initiative to pull one over his hand. He closed and opened his fist. "Just so you know... if you're trying to get your crew to make fun of me, I could easily wear a dress for 'em too." He waggled his brows playfully as he put the other one on, not really feeling any sort of difference. Maybe he could have a ribbon for his sailing hat, too.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he said dismissively at her concerns, "Just scattered thoughts, is all. Nothing new."

He stood then, wriggling his fingers in the air as he displayed his fancy new accessories. "How do I look?"

He didn't wait for an answer. His hands went back into his pockets. "Clothing and weapons. Fair enough, Madam. I'll see you in two days, then, I suppose?"
Old May 8, 2017, 09:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Hero

She nodded appraisingly as he put the bracelets on. She wasn't about to tell him that they used to be hers for when she was younger. Truly that was the only reason she had them. And it accounted for their color. If he found use for them, then it was better than taking up space in her trunk. "Perfectly handsome, as usual Monsieur Thorne. We'll see you in two brightenings." She escorted him back to the quarterdeck, uncertain that he would remember the way. He wouldn't have an escort on their voyage, so it would do him to learn quickly. One tour and then he'd be on his own.

On the morning they were set to get underway, Rosie awoke the crew early in order to get final preparations going. The sails were unfurled, the weatherdecks swept, brass polished, flags hoisted, it was a flurry of practiced motion complete with yelling and jostling.

Over her usual garb, Rosie wore her fine crimson jacket, captain's hat, and cutlass. She paced along the quarterdeck making sure everything was done to the finest detail. "Heave around all lines!" she bellowed. The brow was still up and they were waiting for their passenger. But she was determined to be ready as soon as he stepped onboard. The tide was perfect, the winds were right, now was their best chance of a smooth breakaway.

When she finally caught sight of him making his way down the pier, she leaned against the lifelines, so she could see around the ship and waved to him with a huge grin on her face. Getting underway was the best thing in life, after all. Nothing could sour this for her. "Ahoy, Monsieur Thorne! It's a beautiful day to sail. Only the suns on the horizon and the wind at our backs! I hope you're ready for a grand adventure!"

Her boots caught the deck again as she leaned back and released the lifeline. She received word that all lines were on deck. Her hands began to motion towards the sails as she gave orders on which way she wanted them maneuvered so they could make their departure.

At the top of the brow stood the sailor from the previous day, his bulging arms were crossed about his chest as he puffed on a cigar. "I hope yer stronger than ye look," he greeted Adyn amiably with a clap on the shoulder.

~SoF~
Old May 8, 2017, 10:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Model Citizen

If anything, Adyn was on time when it came to most appointments. He approached from the docks without his signature cigarette in his mouth, certain it would only get in the way as he went about his business on the ship. He'd keep the rapture for any potential night shifts, if that was where they preferred to put him. He was used to that sort of thing anyway.

At any rate, he was there with his leather hat to keep the sun off of his face, tunic sleeves rolled up to his elbows and a high-collared leather jacket over that. He had a shortsword sheathed at his hip and a dagger at the small of his back, another in his boot, and his usual switchblade in his pocket. Clothing and weapons, just as discussed.

Well, he did have cigarettes and matches in metal cases in his inner jacket pockets, just in case. And he never went anywhere without lockpicks tucked away inside his tunic. He saluted Rosie from where she leaned over the side of the ship to greet him, feeling as ready as he'd ever be to hurl his guts into the sea. Hopefully the pretty pink bracelets under his sleeves were enough to keep his lunch down for the duration of the journey.

He trotted up the ramp, taking a deep inhale as he realized with sudden certainty that he'd be setting off to sea. This could end well or poorly. He wasn't sure he was ready for the answer, though.

"You'll find out soon enough," he responded to the bearded sailor, tipping his hat briefly as he did so. "Tell me where you need me and let's get this boat on the horizon."
Old May 8, 2017, 11:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Hero

"Fer some reason or other, captain wants ye by her side for this part," the man shrugged his shoulders and began the swift work of unsecuring the brow. As soon as the lines were loosed, the winds hit the sails and they slowly began to drift towards open waters.

Rosie returned from instructing a deck seaman on the proper way to hoist a mainsail and grinned broadly at Adyn, "If I didn't know any better, I would say you were a real sailor, Monsieur Thorne." He did look dashing in his hat and jacket. She couldn't help but feel gladdened that he'd kept the hat she gave him. Her spirits were truly soaring now that the ship was moving through water. It would take a lot to get her down right now.

"Come with me," she grasped his hand and almost ran towards the bridge near the back of the ship. The large helm was slowly being adjusted port and starboard in order to keep the ship on a steady course. Men were barking orders at each other with each movement. Rosie let go of the man's hand and took her place on a slightly raised platform at the back. She motioned for him to stand next to her.

"Always keep your eye on the horizon when leaving port," she whispered to him under the cacophony of bellowing sailors. "It's bad luck to gaze upon the shore. Means your heart is not in it and surely terrible things will befall the ship." Her eyes narrowed on the distant horizon as her hands fell into her pockets. Her face turned into the breeze and she breathed deep the fresh salt air. As the ship moved from the docks, the men fell into a steady rhythm and the shouting subsided. A calm fell over the crew while routine took over.

They passed several other vessels along the way, rendering honors by ringing bells and saluting. Rosie trained her face into a sternness that befit her position as captain. As the other vessels dwindled and the ship finally hit open waters, it listed starboard slightly and a cheer erupted from the crew.

Her eyes danced and she whisked her hat from her head and waved it in the air as she laughed. After a few moments, business as usual settled onto the crew. Her hat was replaced and she shrugged out of her jacket, handing it off to a deck seaman who would see its return to her cabin.

"Right!" she turned her gaze onto Adyn and couldn't contain her obvious joy. It was as if she could leave all the weight of the world onshore and simply be happy. "Ready for a tour? Or did you want to watch the water a little longer?" She would be fine either way honestly. She was home.

~SoF~

Last edited by Rosie Kyrillos; May 8, 2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Model Citizen

"Hm?" Adyn looked surprised at the man's response. He figured she'd want him well out of her hair for the majority of the journey. Upon turning toward the voice and seeing the broad grin on the woman's face, the confusion only seemed to deepen. He wasn't sure he'd seen Rosie this happy since that time she'd forced little Adyn to form a butt-shaped indentation in the mud. His father had gotten a tongue-lashing for the sorry state of his trousers that day.

"Oh yeah?" A hand reached up to plant itself upon his hat, and his gaze swept down along his clothing. "Gotta look the part, right?" The jacket, he had figured, would keep the wind and sun off his skin. He had always remembered things being a bit chilly, as well, when on trips with his and Kailin's father.

He made a noise as his hand was clasped and he was tugged swiftly toward the back of the ship. He followed along almost without realizing what was happening, caught up in the apparent whirlwind that was Captain Rosie. He glanced around at the men as they worked, hand falling back to his side again, then took a step onto the platform Rosie had indicated.

"Horizon. Got it." He wanted to ask if she really believed that, but he could tell that she did from the way she spoke. He remembered the way she had described the sea before, and had no inclination to question the superstitions now. He'd be booted off before he even left the shore.

He waited for the nausea to wash over him even with the smallest tips of the boat. So far he felt a slight discomfort and nothing more. He glanced down toward the water as the ship moved onward, trying to avoid a mournful glance toward the shore. So long had he been rooted, grounded upon the solid earth, that he was having to grow accustomed to these sorts of journeys again.

Still, there was a wave of nostalgia that went through him. Adyn as a boy had yearned after these ships. He had ached for journeys on the sea and to command a crew of his own one day. The dreams had changed, but the love for them remained. He was just content to keep them in his mind where they were meant to be.

He swiveled his gaze as Rosie offered a tour. He'd need to learn his way around the boat eventually. Thankfully, he had trained the habit of commiting details and routes to memory, so one sweep of the boat should be enough for him.

"I'm ready," he said, hopping down from the platform. "Show me around, Capitaine."
Old May 9, 2017, 12:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Hero

She nodded as her passenger requested to be shown his new home for the next few days. She took one last breath of fresh air before leading him below decks. "Lanterns should only be used at night. Keep the flame inside the glass. Please don't burn down my ship." Sunslight slipped through the spaces between planks of wood. Several portholes also allowed the light to enter the main deck.

Rosie led him along a passageway and pointed through a hatch, "Mess decks," Long tables and stools were bolted to the floor. There was a rum keg in the back and tankards were stacked neatly next to it. She let him know chow times and showed him where to stand in the galley to wait in line for his food. "We're on a pretty good streak, so the rum flows freely for now. No need to ration just yet."

Down one level and she showed him to berthing. Hammocks were crammed into the small space, three high. The berthing was large enough to fit thirty men. But only 18 slept down there. Nineteen now with Adyn. "I'd recommend the bottom hammock. Hurts less when you fall out of it." He could choose any empty one though, it didn't matter if he took her advice or not. There was a head attached that contained three toilets and three basins for bathing.

She pointed out the cargo hold as they passed but she didn't stop. "I'm shipping discreetly for someone right now. I would take it as a personal kindness if you didn't go poking around in there, s'il vous plaît."

From there, she reminded him where her cabin was. There were several other officer's quarters, but they were all empty for now. The entire crew, except Rosie, was sleeping in berthing as of late. They needed the extra cabins for storing shipped goods from time to time.

"Sickbay," she pointed to where the doctor spent his time patching up wounds and sunburns. It was a small, rudimentary office with garish instruments, but it served their purposes well. Rosie was lucky to have him.

Back to the weatherdecks, she took him to the forward most part of the ship: the forecastle. "Each night after dinner, we like to come out here for general merrymaking. Music, dancing, storytelling. Of course drinking. Just to wind down from a hard day's work." As she was speaking a surly looking woman with fiery red hair tied up under a brown bandana stormed over to the pair.

"This the guy?"

Rosie smiled and nodded, "And a bonjour to you too, Mademoiselle Cockram." She grinned at the woman. "Monsieur Thorne, Mademoiselle Cockram. My Quartermaster. She will show you what jobs she needs done, watches you'll stand, those sorts of things." She looked back forth between the pair and decided that she was no longer needed. So she raised her eyebrows at them and got back to work.

"You gonna just stand there? Captain might think you'll be able to hack it with us, but I can tell a no good landlubber when I see one. You'll quit. Might as well get it over with sooner. Come on," she motioned for him to follow her.

~SoF~
Old May 9, 2017, 07:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Adyn followed along like a good passenger should. It was similar enough to the barracks, which was brought him some amount of both relief and trepidation. One always had to earn your keep amongst a group like that, and he wasn't sure if he was looking forward to going through all the effort for just a couple of days. On the other hand, it was only just a couple of days. Was that a willingness to play nice in the name of being mature? Huh.

Mess decks had the rum, berthing had the hammocks. Adyn bobbed his head. He hadn't noticed as many crew members on the ship and this portion was sizable, so finding a place to crash wasn't going to be that difficult. And although being on his own had had its advantages, he was certainly he could still deal with the snoring, too.

Adyn nodded again as they passed cargo. He knew a thing or two about being discreet, so that wasn't even a curiosity for him. He had no wish to steal from Rosie, and it wasn't like he'd get away with it here.

He didn't know what to say about the dancing and all that. Adyn had never been a big dancer. Drinking, he could totally do. "Sounds nice. Guess we'll see how welcome I am to that by the end of the day."

There was a wry smile from him before the redhead showed up, the first three words from which immediately caused Adyn's eyebrows to lift. Oooh. So it began. He had been waiting for just this particular type. She looked just like his old captain, too. This would be ... interesting.

He tipped his hat to the woman in response to whether he was going to just stand there or not. "Madam, I might be a particularly useful landlubber. Wouldn't you be shocked to know it?"

He followed along after her then, resigned to the fact that he might end up with a bloody nose by the end of the night. It might very well be worth it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: