Go Back   Aelyria > The Archives > Aelyria Archive > Carmelyn > Demios

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 5, 2015, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Eternal

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Hay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious Superhero

First Brightening in a New Job (Indef, please)

Following this thread right here

It was her first brightening on the job, she considered, in the role of head of the council of Demios. She was nervous and excited, concerned that maybe they'd been joking and she wasn't really going to be doing this job and it had all been someone's idea of a practical joke. But it wasn't, she knew. So, she brought her notebook, pens and so on and she made her way to Flitz's office where she had agreed to meet the acting Thane at the beginning of the work brightening.

Hay'aan knocked on the door and smiled "Sastimos, Flitz!" she said and her smile transformed into what could only be described as a delighted grin "I heard there's a new head of the council who needs breaking in." she said and she looked at her friend and now colleague with an expression of mixed delight and trepidation.
Old May 6, 2015, 02:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

One enthusiastic greeting from Flitz later (the sea elf having a fondness for hugs) and they'd get down to business, with the acting thane explaining a few logistics as to how things worked, exactly. Typically the council met weekly to discuss things, although to be frank most of the time only a few of them showed up unless there was a particularly important issue to talk about. The meetings at the end of the month were typically where people actually showed up, where what had happened was summarized for all. Of course, at any time there could be an emergency meeting called in case something occurred.

Flitz would make sure that Hay'aan had access to all of the information she'd need to call such an emergency meeting - mainly, the contact information of the various council members. Any questions?
Old May 6, 2015, 02:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Eternal

Hay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious Superhero

"Yes, that makes sense." she said, thoughtfully. "And yes, those contact details are very useful. Over the course of the next few brightenings and cycles, I thought I'd try and meet with each individually, in order to make sure that I have a good understanding of them and who they are and what they do. THat seems to me to make sense"

She considered then and she looked at Flitz thoughtfully "In Jaedaxia and Kaldira the point was made that we have too many cooks in terms of political names and not enough broth, to mix a metaphor." she said, chewing her lip "Where does the work of the thane and the city council overlap, Flitz? The council appoints the thane, and their own head so where do we stand in terms of what happens if the thane or lady protector wants one thing and the council another, for example?" she asked. There were the job roles and they were different, but she saw overlap and she wondered how it had been dealt with historically.
Old May 6, 2015, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

"Ideally, I suppose, everybody who lived on Demios would get a say on how things were governed," Flitz would say, leaning against her desk as she talked with Hay'aan. "That, of course, isn't really plausible once you have a place as large as we do. So it's all about representatives and special interests. While the thane is nominally in charge of things and acts as the figurehead of Demios, the council holds a great deal of power as well."

"The council can stop the thane from doing many things, but it doesn't work the other way around. It makes sense, I think - that way the thane can't be a tyrant, whereas it's less of an issue the other way around. Frankly, if a thane is so unpopular that the entire council has turned against them, there are probably a lot of other problems that need to be dealt with there."
Old May 6, 2015, 07:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Eternal

Hay'aan listened and nodded her head "It's a difficult juggling act?" she said and she smiled. The thane was there as the figurehead, but the council was there as the safety net and she understood that this was an important and necessary role. And the idea of the thane being a tyrant was something which was very possible, although not likely in the current situation, she chose to believe, but then it might just be that it could and did happen so Hay'aan was pleased with the idea of there being a means of altering it. Of stopping it. Because at the end of the brightening, as far as the gypsy was concerned, it did not matter what title someone had, as long as they were working for Demios that was what was important.

"That's clear, thank you" she said, quietly. Then she looked at Flitz and smiled slightly "So, if I meet with representatives, have an idea of what it is that is the overview, what the demographic is and so on, that can only help to my eyes. Is there anything that you think I should be doing in these first brightenings?" she asked, with interest.
Old May 7, 2015, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Foreboden!

"Politics in general is a difficult juggling act," Flitz would say with a sigh. "Or perhaps it's more accurate to say, anytime you have to deal with more than two people. I suppose that's just life."

"These first few days, I suppose, you should just be trying to get comfortable with the new position, the new authority you have," the sea elf would recommend. "Get to know everybody, get to know what's expected of you. Ease yourself into things, try not to take on everything at once."
Old May 7, 2015, 05:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Eternal

Hay'aan smiled and nodded "I should have made more of having nine children in the interview, perhaps?" she said and she looked at Flitz with a calm expression. Then, she considered and nodded "Comfortable with the position, that makes sense" she added and she looked at Flitz and breathed in.

"So, I'm told that at the council offices there's a receptionist called Mr Blythe. Other than that, I don't really know who I'm going to be working with on a brightening-by-brightening basis. Start there?" she said, with a deep breath. "Who is the clerk to the council?" she wondered, thinking that this person would likely be the most important person to know.
Old May 7, 2015, 07:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Mentioning the nine children probably would have been a bit of a boon in regards to displaying Hay'aan's organizational skills. It might have also generated quite a bit of gossip about her lifestyle choices as well. There was the real balance of things.

"We have a couple, in case one of them is unavailable so that the others can fill in, but the usual one is a cether, Miss Saria," Flitz would say, along with her contact information if need be.
Old May 8, 2015, 12:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Eternal

Had Hay'aan thought for one minute that there was anything that anyone might say about her children, she would have responded and very resoundingly so. But she didn't, thankfully, and so she nodded. "Miss Saria. Great. I will make her acquaintence, and the other clerk also, as soon as possible." She made a note to do so.

Then, she looked at Flitz and she smiled "Thank you, Flitz. You are an inordinate help. I will meet all of the council members, I think, individually, starting in the next few brightenings. I think the first thing for me to do is to read the records of the last ten council meetings and ascertain what is where, get a clear context." she considered. "So, I suppose, I will spend some time doing that, then ask the council members to come to the office. Does that make sense?" She considered "I thought also that I would start getting myself up to date with the legal system, again. It has been a fair few eras since I studied it, after all"

Giving Flitz a glance she raised an eyebrow "Is there anything else you think I should do? Other than organise my desk, of course" She seemed serious but her eyes glinted with humour at the last bit.
Old May 8, 2015, 01:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Foreboden!

"Yes, that makes sense," Flitz would say, moving back behind her desk and sitting down.

"Organizing your desk is a good idea," the sea elf would say. "Make sure that people know where your office will be, for once, so you can receive correspondence. Perhaps you can requisition a secretary to help make sure that your schedule is always clear for meetings?"
Old May 8, 2015, 01:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Eternal

She considered and nodded her head "There's a receptionist at the Council Hall" she thought and chewed her lip thoughtfully "I thought maybe he would act in that way, but I suppose that actually, he has a full time job doing that. So, perhaps that makes sense. I'll do that" she nodded and she would talk with Flitz about the process of how to requisition people or things, what paperwork needed completing and how she went about it.

Then, she would consider and she would nod her head. "I'm going to go now, I think to the office, then, and get started there. Thank you, Flitz. You have .. I hope that my taking this role takes some of the burden from you" The sea elf had served Demios in a way which was truly exemplary and Hay'aan hoped to help out as best she could.

And she would, once the conversation was done, make her way to the City Council Offices, and there she would speak to the receptionist, who she was vaguely peturbed to notice had remarkably white teeth. However, his teeth notwithstanding, she would firstly complete the necessary requisition forms and so on, then she would spend some time exploring and organising her office and setting up a system and diary. She would ask Mr Blythe questions about who came here, how well used it was and so on. She wanted to get a real feel for the place and the people, so that she could be the most efficient she could be.
Old May 8, 2015, 01:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Haya'aan would have to get used to paperwork and bureaucracy, because there was sure a heck of a lot of it. As Flitz waved goodbye and she made her way to the city council offices to meet with the receptionist, her head was spinning just a bit with everything she needed to do for such a relatively simple task. Once she arrived, well, these forms needed to be filled out in triplicate, this form needed a signature, fill this out please, sign this, sign that, fill these out again, please. And there, finally. It'd only taken about half a candlemark.

And she still needed to figure out where her secretary was going to be set up in her own office. Ugh.

How many people stopped by was really matter of who the head of council was. Some were quite popular. Others were not. So it really depended on the person, didn't it?
Old May 8, 2015, 02:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Eternal

She looked at Mr Blythe and smiled at him with a quirk of her brow "Lots of paperwork, isn't there?" she said and then she looked at her office and where her secretary's office would be. She came to as quick a decision on that as she could. It would make sense that they were close together and she would check how it had been done previously and whether there were any spaces more suitable. She would speak to Mr Blythe and she would do so quietly and calmly, and obviously paying attention to what he said.

And then, the answer to how many people dropped by depended on popularity? Hay'aan shook her head and considered. "Alright, Mr Blythe. Until my new secretary comes, I'm afraid you are going to need to take both roles. So, what I'd like to do is to clear a space each brightening, starting one cycle from now, where I am always in the office and available for appointments or drop in.. actually, we'll make it a drop in surgery. People are welcome to make appointments, always, but a drop in surgery every brightening. Advertise it, please, in the Orator's Square that kind of place? Thank you, Mr Blythe" she said, earnestly. "Oh, and please make clear that if anyone can not be seen on the brightening they come, because there are too many people there, then we will make them an appointment at our mutual convenience. But let me check the advertisement, please, if you would, before you sen it out" But th would not be for a cycle, she was clear wit him, because she needed to make sure that she knew where she was and what she was doing. However, in the meantime if anyone, anyone wanted to see her, then would he please check with her and she would either see them immediately or ask to make an appointment.

And as for her own office, that would need to be organised, also. Hay'aan enjoyd very little as much as an afternoon spent organising.
Old May 8, 2015, 02:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Foreboden!

"Always is," came the man's reply, another flash of those brilliant teeth.

He seemed happy enough to take on the role for now, bringing out a stack of papers and beginning to fill them out, more or less starting a completely new file just for Hay'aan. Once her secretary was set up properly they'd be passed on to her; or, perhaps, they would end up making their own system.

So! Time to organize. Her office at the moment consisted of a table for her to work at and a lot of drawers full of files. So many files. So much paperwork and so many forms. Whoever had been in here last was not good at filing.
Old May 8, 2015, 02:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Eternal

Well, of course, whoever did this before was not good at filing. Why would they be? Hay'aan looked at Mr Blythe and she smiled ironically. "Alright, Mr Blythe this is what we are going to do. We are going to set up a filing system which is in four parts. Who, what, when and where. Who, what and where will be filed according to alphabet and when will be from the most recent going backwards. So" she said, quietly, and it had to be said she looked vaguely apologetic "If Mr Timothy Smith comes to see me about opening up a shop in the market to-brightening. It will be filed under Smith, Timothy with copies under 'Business Propositions' in what, 'Market District' in where and on this brightening in when. Each of the four sections will be subdivided by alphabet also. We start by taking everything out of these drawers, they're not helping because they are in no order at all, and then we re-file, copying or putting in a parchment with "See file: Smith, Timothy", for example, if needs be"

She was well aware that this was a big job, but she needed a proper system if she was going to do this properly. "Does that make sense, Mr Blythe?" she asked, and looked at him calmly.