Go Back   Aelyria > The Archives > Aelyria Archive > Carmelyn > Demios

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 29, 2015, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Eternal

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Hay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious Superhero

[Wits' End] The boogaloo is outta sight, but the shing-a-ling's the thing! (Nevik)

Following this thread right here

Her cousin Nevik had asked her to teach him to dance and Hay'aan had considered it carefully. Their people, the Air'riela, had a number of dances which were deep and meaningful, sensual or passionate. But Nevik had mentioned specifically about those which increased flexibility and so she had thought about it quite a bit and then, over the course of a few brightenings she had decided on a routine they were going to learn together. Now, this routine was a lot more complex than one she would usually do with someone for their first lessons, but Nevik had grown up in the Air'riela. He knew dancing.

So, she had arranged to meet him in the first floor of her studio in Wits' End. It was upstairs where she practiced her gymnastics and dance and, when Nevik arrived she was wearing a pair of white loose trousers and a lime green vest top. She had strings of bells on her ankles and wrists and waist and she grinned.

"Sastimoshello!" she said, softly. As was their way, she was barefoot. "I have chosen a dance to a song that you have seen before, that we might practice. It is not one from a traditional kumpania, but it is one that I know that you have danced to before." she said and she picked up a tambourine, throwing one to him. And then, without ceremony, she began to sing, hopeful that he would do the same. Shaking the tambourine and singing she would make her way to him with a grin on her face.

She would sing the song and she would stop. "Ready to go loop di loop with me, Nevik Carthiam?" she asked and she grinned "Because I will insist that you shake your tail feather"

Last edited by Hay'aan Malinconico; March 29, 2015 at 04:51 PM.
Hay'aan Malinconico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2015, 05:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Citizen

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Nevik Carthiam is a glorious SuperheroNevik Carthiam is a glorious SuperheroNevik Carthiam is a glorious Superhero
Nevik was not sure what to expect, he had not danced for many years so he did not know what was going to happen and how well he was going to do. Would he be as good as he used to be, or would he end up being bad after so long with no practice. Either way he would enjoy it though, just like old times when he used to dance and watch Hay'aan dance (In private, of course. She would not let anyone else see). He took off his shoes outside the gym then entered the room.

He walked in and smiled when he saw Hay'aan. He was wearing a black shirt and loose black trousers so he had free movement. "Sastimos to you my cousin. I look forward to our dance today, it will be most enjoyable." he said and smiled gently at her. When handed the tambourine, he would copy what she was doing the best he could until she stopped. "Ready? I was born ready, Hay'aan Malinconico"
Unto my final breath"

Nevik Carthiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2015, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Eternal

Hay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious Superhero

She laughed a most genuine laugh when he said that he was born ready and she beamed at him. "Good job, cousin. So, I am going to show you the routine I have worked out, alright?" she said, and she smiled "But keep in mind that I am dancing the woman's dance, yes?" she said. Then, knowing that he knew the song for it was one that they had sung together as children, she let him beat out the beats and, hopefully, sing it with her.

And she danced the woman's movements. Looking at him as she stopped (obviously, she didn't fling herself around so much at the end) she smiled. "This is a dance which is a mixture of gajenone-Air'riela and of our people." she explained. It was somewhat symbolic of her life, really, a combination of the two.

Then, she motioned for him to come and stand opposite her. "The basic steps are to a six-beat. The count is 1-2-3-a-4, 5-a-6. Where I make the 'a' sound it is a chasse, where you kick twice once on the 3 and once on the a, but it is quick. We will practice these first" she said and she motioned to him

"But first, for we are not children any more and our muscles do not like it when we do not do this. You need to warm up. Stretches, bends, that kind of thing" she said, and as she waited for him to warm up, for she already had, she would spend some time on the balance beam, practicing her forward walkovers and aerial cartwheels.... but keeping an eye on him in order to make sure that he was alright.
Old April 7, 2015, 06:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Citizen

Nevik Carthiam is a glorious SuperheroNevik Carthiam is a glorious SuperheroNevik Carthiam is a glorious Superhero
Nevik smiled at Hay'aan. "I do not see what is so amusing, I was and always will be ready!" he exclaimed with a joking smile. Nevik then nodded at Hay'aan's questions. When Nevik heard the song and recognised it, he would start to sing along. He would sing quietly at first until he got into it and he would start singing louder and louder.

Nevik watched as she danced, trying to recognise any movements he used to know. He smiled and clapped when she finished. "It is impressive, I look forward to learning". Nevik then listened to Hay'aan and started stretching. He would stretch his arms, legs and everything in between. He kept looking to Hay'aan for support while stretching. Then, once he had finished, he stood up. "I am ready, what next?"
Unto my final breath"

Old April 8, 2015, 05:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Eternal

She grinned at him and then she very solemnly put some strings of bells in his hands. They were different, a deeper tone than the light ones she wore, of course, because they were the mens' version of them. "Alright then, first things first, we need to get the beat. The 1-2-3-a-4, 5-a-6. For the moment we will bounce on the 1,2 then kick to the left on the 3-a-4, then to the right on the 5-a-6"

She grinned at him and stood opposite him. "The trick with this dance is firstly to keep relaxed. It is in hold, in places, unlike many of our dances, but the hold is relaxed. So, like so" She put her left hand on Nevik's right shoulder, and motioned for him "Put your right hand on the left side of my back, that's it" Their other hands were clasped loosely and she kept them about an arm's length of distance between them.

For a while she was happy to let them stay there, for him to get used to the feel of that hold "You lead in this dance, it is a male-led dance. Many gaje-dances are. Leading means steering the woman but it does not mean pulling her around. Firm, gentle, yes? Now, we have a six beat, let's have a six beat. First we will just stand and in hold bounce to the six-beat."

And she would call the numbers, the 1-2-3-a-4, 5-a-6. The "a" in between the 3 and 4 and the 5 and 6 came at the top of the bounce. She sped it up to the point that it would be challenging for him, but not too much so.

"Good!" she said, and she grinned at him. "Now, we are going to do the chasse. One the count of 3-a-4 we kick three times to the left. That has to be quick because it is three kicks in two beats. Then, on the count of 5-a-6 we do the same but to the right. It is, in the middle one, more of a flicking out of your foot. So think of it as kick-flick-kick. Like this"

She stepped back and showed him again, bouncing on the spot for the 1 and 2 count and then she kicked her foot out to the left side, three times in the next two counts and then the same for the right.

"Together?" she said, and stepped into hold but, like she had told him. In this dance the man led so she waited for him to do just that.
Old April 12, 2015, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Citizen

Nevik grinned at Hay'aan. He took the bells from her and put them on (if he knew how). Nevik listened to Hay'aan's advice bit by bit. He would relax like she said, then he would listen to her instructions exactly. He put his hands where she told him to, on the left side of her back, and smiled at her.

When Nevik heard he was leading the dance, he panicked for a moment. He wasn't sure how that would work seeing as he had no clue what is going on, but he wasn't questioning it. "Gentle, of course". Then he would bounce to the sixth beat as accurate as he could, as well as doing the other things, still trying to make sure he was in time with Hay'aan the whole time. He would then listen to his next instructions and do them as well. He would try his hardest, but chances were he would struggle. "I will give it my best shot, Hay'aan".

Nevik would lead, he would bounce on the spot for 1 and 2, kick his feet out on the left three times for 3 and 4, then do the same on the right for 5 and 6. He would do this a few times, looking down at his feet to make sure he was doing it right. Then he would look up at her for advice
Unto my final breath"

Old April 12, 2015, 02:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Eternal

She watched him put the bells onyes, he's grown up in an Air'riela group, so he'd know, no worries! and she smiled to herself. It had been a long time since she had danced with someone who was wearing strings of bells. A long time indeed. So, she nodded to Nevik and when he put his hands where she told him to, she checked them and adjusted as necessary.

"Good!" she said when he said that he would give it his best shot. "I can ask of no more than that from you, can I?" and then she would watch him as he started and as soon as he did she said, quietly "Look at me, Nevik, not at your feet. You have to trust them to do what they are doing. That's it." and as much as she knew that the temptation to look at his feet was enormous (it was for everyone), well she would make sure that every time he started to look down, she would remind him. "In the eye, Nevik" became a bit of a mantra.

But he did it and she beamed "Good. It is good, I promise you" she assured him. "It feels like you are trying to be in time with me? Don't do that, be in time with the music. Dancers dance to the music, not to each other" she said and she smiled at him "If we are both dancing to the music, we will be in time with each other, will we not?"

And then, she would make slight adjustments here and there to his kicks and flicks, suggesting that he bent his knee a little more here, a little less there. But really, as she told him cheerily, the only thing to do was to practice. And practice they would. She appeared to have endless reserves of energy when it came to this and she would practice and practice. And when, finally, she said "I think that's enough of that" as much as he might think that she was fixing to stop, she moved away to show him something else.

"Now, let's get this 1,2 step right. These are the link steps and they are vital because they form the basis of this dance." she said, with a smile. Very slowly she rocked back on her back foot, then rocked forward on her front foot. But as she did, as she shifted the weight, she lifted her feet up, so kept up the 'bounce' of it. "So, weight on the back foot, then on the front foot, like this, which sends us into the chasse" she said and she showed him, slowly and then more and more quickly until it was at the right speed for them.

"Shall we?" she said and she would step again into hold and look at him with every expectation that he would do just fine.
Old April 18, 2015, 04:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Citizen

Nevik smiled at Hay'aan, "I suppose you can't ask for more". Nevik would look up every time she reminded him, although his gaze would occasionally drift down to his feet. He had not danced for such a long time that he had lost confidence in his footwork, hence why he would find his eyes slowly lowering by the second. After a while he would try and focus specifically on not looking down until he had his gaze fixed into Hay'aan's.

In truth, Nevik was trying to dance in time with Hay'aan not with the music. He would listen to the music and try to keep in time to the music, as well as trying to look at Hay'aan not at his feet. "You make a good point. It is almost like you have danced before" Nevik said and smiled. He would do all of the adjustments Hay'aan gave for his dance so far, until she told him to stop. Once he had stopped, he would practice what Hay'aan had just taught him for the 1,2 step. He would step into hold with Hay'aan and take a glance at his feet, realise what he had done and look straight back into Hay'aan's eyes. Then, he would do the steps, remembering the advice she had given him before about not looking down and about following the music not her. He would try his hardest to follow both of those things while he did the dance.
Unto my final breath"

Old April 19, 2015, 05:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Eternal

She grinned at him and nodded "Once or twice, Nevik. I've danced before, just once or twice" she said and watched him "Good. This is good. So it's rather than 1, 2, 3-a-4, 5-a-6 now we have back, front, kick-flick-kick, kick-flick-kick. Lets practice that a while, shall we?" she asked and she would indeed practice and continue to do so for the remainder of the lesson. By the end of it, they had worked very hard indeed. "Let's meet again tomorrow and continue" she said to her cousin with a smile "When you bathe tonight, I'll give you some herbs to put in the bath, they'll help with the aches."

****~~~~~****

The next brightening, she was ready again and she grinned at him. "How are you feeling?" she asked, well aware that he had done a lot of very physical exercise the brightening before. "To-brightening we are going to get started on the routine itself. It is telling a story and in the beginning of the story we are not dancing together. I am standing here and you will come towards me, moving forward with the 1,2 step in a walking motion. When you get to me, I walk away, and then you come forward again. I push you away and then you grab my hand and pull me into a spin and then hold "

She would show him that, once they had warmed up together and although it was a good fifteen or twenty seconds of their routine, well it did not require anything of him other than to do the 1,2 steps and to do a bit of story telling. When he had that, which she didn't think would take too long, she nodded "Now, we are in hold, but we do the 1,2, 3a4, 5a6 facing each other, then with our arms round each other side by side, back to facing each other, then side by side the other side." She walked him through it very slowly first.

"There are three lots of 1 to 6 beats here. The first one is us in hold, facing each other we do all six beats. That's easy enough. We end, in hold and facing each other." Once he had the first group of 1 - 6 beats she moved on to the second lots Now, the second lot of 1 to 6 beats starts face to face. The 1,2 we move to side by side like so, and 3a4 is kick-flick-kick to the left. The 5,6 beat is going back to face to face. So, now we are starting the third lot of 1 to 6. For that, 1,2 is face to face, the 3,4 beat is moving to the other side and we kick-flick-kick to the right on the 5a6" she smiled at him and nodded. "Then repeat all three groups" Slowly, and then more quickly and then more quickly again.

"That's it... well done, point your toes and remember that the flick is not a kick. Eyes forward" she said and she grinned at him.
Old April 26, 2015, 05:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Citizen

Nevik smiled at Hay'aan, he was enjoying the dance he was doing and was happy to be doing it with his cousin. He would practice the technique with her until they would call it off for the rest of the day. "I look forward to tomorrow" Nevik would say and smile. "Thank you, that would be very nice".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nevik would smile at Hay'aan, "I am well thank you, but still a bit sore. I haven't danced for so long, I forgot the after effects of it". Nevik took in what Hay'aan was saying about the dance and tried to remember it all. Then, after warming up, he would copy Hay'aan until he had it.

Nevik would slowly go through the dance Hay'aan was describing with her, focusing on everything he was doing so he didn't have to repeat it too many times. He would continue to go through it, taking in everything she was saying. He would continue to do it until she was happy with it and until he thought he was doing it well enough. Nevik would smile at Hay'aan and say "Hey, I only looked down a couple of times that time, now you're just being picky". He would then continue with what they were doing until she said to stop
Unto my final breath"

Old April 27, 2015, 02:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Eternal

She looked at him and she grinned in pure mischief when he said he was sore. "That's because you are physically unfit and need to toughen up" she said, gently poking him in the stomach "You might grow chubby, then none of the ladies will like you" she smiled and kissed him on the cheek to show him that she was joking. "But a man who dances is a very attractive prospect. Add to that the fact that you are so good with the children and I do believe that we should be barricading you in" she chuckled and then led him to the dance floor where they could warm up together.

As he warmed up, of course, the aches and pains would leave and then, when they were done, Hay'aan stepped back and smiled at him. "So, show me what you have learnt, if you would please. Dance the man's steps as far as we have learnt at a slow pace, talking me through them and then dance them at the correct speed" she said and she jumped onto the balance beam, sitting and swinging her legs as she watched him. "Eyes forward" she reminded him before he began.