Old January 31, 2015, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Eternal

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Hay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious Superhero

Stone on the Fire Isle (Indef)

After the beginning, but before the middle of Era XXII

Hay'aan Malinconico was more pleased than she had words to tell that they had come home to Demios. This place with its dragons and volcanoes, black sands and Weavers' Woods was, without a doubt, her home. And not just hers, either, but home to her husband and their nine children. She was at ease and at peace here and she loved their home.

They had left here for a while and set up home in Sancta Nova. Whilst they had been there she had learnt the basics of stone sculpture from a very nice man called Harold. Then (at least, as far as she believed it) the world had changed according to Kaimelea's will and Hay'aan had grown more skilled in that stone sculpting. She had become, in that moment where Kaimelea smiled on her and her husband, a better and more rounded artist. This was a wonder to the gypsy woman but it was a blessing of her Goddess and, as such, she accepted it gratefully. But since her Goddess obviously wanted her to sculpt stone and whittle wood, to dance and to sing (for why else would She have made Hay'aan better at them over-darkening?) the earnest and reverent gypsy woman knew that she had to do her best at them in honour of her Goddess.

And so, when she and her husband had expanded their home on Demios, and when her studio was built there, she had made it focused on three forms of fine art, no longer just one. Painting would always be her first love and, as the Seer for Kaimelea it was her blessing and her sacred duty. But she was a sculpter and a woodworker now, too. So she needed to get some supplies in. She had already been down to the beach to collect some of Demios' famous black sand to make her sandoils with, but that was not what she was here for this brightening.

This brightening, the young gypsy woman walked into town and she was looking for a stone supplier. In the markets of Demios it might be that there was someone who would either sell stone, as Min'anaan had on Demios, or who might direct her because they too bought it.

For all that once she had hated it, these brightenings the young gypsy woman wore her sword at her side with comfort and ease and she had, as always, a satchel of artists supplies at her other side. Her long green skirt and loose yellow shirt were belted tightly by her sword belt and her hair was loose and long. So, she explored, at first, the markets to see what she could find.
Old January 31, 2015, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

There didn't seem to be anybody among the various stalls in the marketplace that was directly selling stone. None of the shops around here really seemed to specialize in that sort of thing. But she'd manage to find a number of craftsmen who, upon being asked where they got their materials, would be able to point her to what she was looking for.

As such, Hay'aan would manage to find one such shop at the very edge of the merchant district, right up against the government district. It wasn't really a shop so much as a small warehouse where the materials were stockpiled, waiting to be delivered to those who required them. There was a small office at the front where prospective clients could order materials, where a young halfling sat at the front desk atop a pile of books.
Old February 1, 2015, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Eternal

Hay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious Superhero

As always, Hay'aan had been polite and earnest when she asked, and genuine in her thanks. But eventually, she had found herself here, right at the edge of the merchants' district. When she looked at the building it seemed to her to be more of a warehouse and she breathed in, trying to calm her nerves. Meeting new people unnerved the shy gypsy woman and she knew it, but had to get over it.

So, she made her way in and towards the small office. There, she smiled at the halfling and spoke in her lilting gypsy accent. "Serale. I am Hay'aan Malinconico and I am seeking a supplier of stone. Mundane and exotic if possible. Is there someone that I might speak to, please?" she asked, calmly, and then lapsed into silence so that the halfling might answer her.

Of course, unsurprisingly to anyone who knew her, Hay'aan blushed as she spoke.
Old February 1, 2015, 06:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

"Sure thing, I can help ya!" the young fellow would chirp happily, perched precariously upon the stack of books. "We got all kinds of stone. Anything in particular you were looking for? What sort of order did you want to place? Or maybe you were just looking to browse through the inventory?"
Old February 1, 2015, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Eternal

Hay'aan looked at the halfling and she smiled in pleasure at the presence of such a friendly chap. He certainly seemed to be quite amenable, and she looked at him with relief and friendly good humour. It did not make a difference, however. No matter how friendly he was, she blushed as she spoke. She found it irritating and she wished that she could stop it, but she simply could not manage to do so.

"I think that a look at the inventory would be a good place to start" she said, with a smile "But if there is anything not currently on inventory which I might be interested in, that would be good to know of." she added and she smiled slightly, then she considered. "I am a sculptor, and I work out of Fire Isle Fine Arts Studio. I would like to build up a regular agreement if it is possible" That all said, she lapsed into silence and waited to see the inventory. Once she had seen that, she would have some idea of the room to manouvere and how she was placed in ters of her materials. And also, if Demios had anything specific to offer in terms of stone which might change the way that she worked, fundamentally.

Last edited by Hay'aan Malinconico; February 1, 2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old February 1, 2015, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Foreboden!

"All right, I'll just..." The halfling would hop onto the floor off of the books, brushing off his hands. "We've got a room filled with samples of what we've got, just for this. The proper stores are out back in the warehouse, but you'll get a general idea of the sort of thing we have in stock."

He'd go to a door near the front desk, using a key he had on hand to unlock it and gesture for Hay'aan to go inside. There were several tables that lined the sides of the room, and upon them were small cubes of various rocks, samples for people to look at, to touch, to feel. Some of them, she would perhaps recognize: limestone, marble, pumice, granite. There were a good number of common stones, the sort of thing that most sculptors tended to use. But there would be three that she didn't recognize at all.

A tough, dark-gray cube with fiery veins of red running through it. A soft, sandy-colored cube. And a clear, opalescent cube.
Old February 2, 2015, 03:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Eternal

Hay'aan smiled and nodded her head "Thank you so much, that is very helpful" she said and she would wait for the halfling to open the door. Once he had, she would step into the room and she would spend some time looking at the small cubes of different stones.

As was her way, Hay'aan carefully and meticulously worked her way through each of the stones. She would check that this one was what she thought it was, if she was at all unclear. She very much appreciated the sort of organisation that something like this demanded. So, she made her way through each of the stones and familiarised herself with them all.

"I am not aware what these are" she said, gesturing to the three. She would pick each one up and look at it most carefully, examining each one most carefully. It might seem strange but she quietly spoke to each one, not to any of the others. Because she knew the others, so there was nothing that she needed to say to them. But as she was learning things, she needed to vocalise them and she had those three in front of her and she turned to the halfling with a raised eyebrow.

"I wonder, could you please tell me about these three?" she asked, with delight, interest and fascination in her eyes. New knowledge delighted the young Seer.
Old February 3, 2015, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Foreboden!

"Ah, yes. Those would be some of the more exotic variety of stone we have in stock," the halfling would say, wandering over. "Most craftsmen probably wouldn't know, as they usually just stick with the more common materials. Let's see, then..."

He'd gesture towards the dark-gray rock. "This one's firvaina. Colloquially, 'fire vein.' We find it around volcanoes, you know? Here." He'd pick up the cube and hand it to Hay'aan, letting her feel the warmth that radiated from it, see how the veins seemed to glow with color. "People really like it because of those veins. They can glow pretty bright if they're polished enough, and if you've got enough of that stuff together it can actually warm a place up as well."

"Now this one," he'd say, gesturing towards the sandy colored cube, "this one's pretty interesting. We get it from a really special place, that's a secret, but the properties of the stone are fascinating." The halfling would reach towards the cube and, with his hands, begin to mold it. It seemed like it had the consistency of clay, the way he was able to stretch and pull at it, until it resembled something like a horn. When he offered it to her, however, she would find that it felt like granite. "If you apply just the right amount of pressure, it becomes pliable. You can use it to make shapes and stuff that would never hold with other kinds of rocks. It'll require a particular formula in order to get it to set permanently, though."

And then the last one. "It glows in the dark," he would say simply. "A soft white light."
Old February 3, 2015, 07:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Eternal

She listened to his description and she looked at him with interest. "I see" she said. She took the "Fire Vein" and she held it. "That is remarkable" she said and she looked at him with surprise and delight. Then the second one and Hay'aan looked at it in interest. But somehow, that interest was not as much as it might have been in almost anyone else. For that stone allowed someone to cheat, and she did not wish to do so. But she watched with interest and then she looked at the third. And that one glowed in the dark? Oh but that was interesting and fascinating also.

"And do you sell these?" she asked, earnestly. "I would be interested in the first and third type of stone, depending on what the price for it was" she looked at the halfling earnestly, considering. There were things that she could do with those two stones which would be beautiful and useful. But that would depend, very much, on the price.

She watched his reaction and considered the multitudinous uses for such. It could be very interesting indeed. "Can they be combined or do these unique properties mean that they must be used alone?" she asked, with a considered frown.
Old February 4, 2015, 01:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Foreboden!

"Well, it'd be rather silly to have these in stock and not sell them." That was literally their business, after all, selling stone to craftspeople. Hay'aan would find that both firvaina and sjaj (the glowing stone) were quite a bit more expensive than simple marble or granite. They were almost three times the price of the common materials - although of course, what could be fashioned out of them was probably significantly more impressive as well.

"Mixing them will dilute the properties," the halfling would say, "but not get rid of them entirely. The effect is best when used alone, but the properties will not disappear if you combine them with others."
Old February 5, 2015, 03:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Eternal

Hay'aan nodded and considered carefully. "I own a fine art studio here on Demios" she said, and she looked at him thoughtfully "When I owned Kateryna's studio it sold only artwork, but I am now able to sculpt stone also, to a standard which I consider acceptable" hight praise, in fairness, from the gypsy woman "I wonder, would I be able to negotiate a contract for a reduced price for regular purchases or for acknowledgements on commissions? That has worked for me well when I have been commissioned previously and has allowed the supplier to get more well known."

She considered and then spoke softly once more "I would be interested in setting up a regular purchase of some of the more mundane stones and these, also. But only if the price was the right one, of course" she said, and she looked at him with most earnest brown eyes.
Old February 6, 2015, 03:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Foreboden!

"It'd be possible, sure," the halfling would say. "Submit your request and we'll do a quick background check to ensure that you've got good enough credit for us to want to do such a thing - you know how it is."

"What sort of prices do you usually get for the more mundane stones?" From there, they could establish a basis for pricing.
Old February 6, 2015, 03:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Eternal

Hay'aan did indeed, as he said, know how it was. So, she would work quickly and quietly to submit her request, letting them know how much of each stone she would want on how regular a basis and then she looked up at him and smiled as she passed that piece of information on to him. But on the other piece of information he asked for? Well she gave him a brief and beautiful smile, but she was not falling for that. Not any brightening soon.

"It would be a very special kind of stupid for me to tell you how much I currently pay" she said, softly but firmly "I am interested in your prices. If I can get the stone cheaper elsewhere, I will tell you once you have told me your usual prices But if you would normally charge me 10 crowns for something, but because you know I am already paying 20, you decide to charge 15, I would be foolish to tell you. So let us start from what you offer, and then I will let you know whether it is better or worse than I currently get" she said, handing him over the information for the background check with a small smile and a determined expression.

But he wasn't pulling her current pricing out from her at all.
Old February 6, 2015, 03:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Everything seemed to be in order.

She would be offered a slight discount on the specialized stone. It wasn't really very much at all, quite negligible in fact, but the prices they were offering for the more mundane stone types were quite low in comparison to the normal prices she paid for them. So it was very much a tradeoff between the two.
Old February 7, 2015, 06:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Eternal

Hay'aan nodded as she heard the discount and she smiled in pleasure at the thought of what she could do with this stone. It was something delightful to the gyspy woman that they had come home to Demios and she was beyond excited at the prospect of adding stonework to her studio. She looked at the halfling and considered.

"That is a generous discount. Thank you so much." she said, quietly "But I wonder if we could negotiate a further discount if I were to advertise my exclusive partnership with yourstone supplier in my studio? I would be prepared to enter into that sort of partnership, if you would consider such." she said, looking at him with interest. After all, a situation of mutual benefit was just that and she did know that she was well known on Demios, but further afield also. "And of course you could equally advrtise that you are my exclusive supplier here, if that would help. What do you think?" she asked, quite prepared to accept the discount given but not in an exclusive manner; but she could not help but wonder if a mutually exclusive deal would be beneficial to the pair of them.

She could not help but be touching and exploring the stone with the fire vein, she found it fascinating and her mind was already ticking over as she considered what it was that she was going to make with this.