Go Back   Aelyria > The Archives > Aelyria Archive > Carmelyn > Demios

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2015, 04:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Adventurer

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Vesdani Coldcreek is an upstanding Citizen
[Orator's Square]The pretty things and a lutran that sings[Open]

NOTICEIt should be noted, no one is actually expected to buy anything. It's just to put him in a high traffic area and give a reason for interaction

Winter of Post Fractum XXII

Telath and indeed the Aelyrian empire were places where there was so many amazing things that at times one might not appreciate the odd. Indeed, in a world of magic and full of fantastical creatures, what is unusual might no longer be the unusual. There were still things though that stood out in oddness, rarity, or both that it was strange no matter what.

A little scrap of fur, no more than 3'6 in height, grinning as wide as he could as he slightly and gently back and forth behind what looked like a large brightly colored and overturned turtle shell. Fastened over his shoulders and draped down the front of him was some sort of...would one call that an apron? Whatever it was called it seemed to be formed of a series of tubes which had been fastened my some form of twine; the tubes varying in width and length.

Whatever it was called it was all too clear what the musical counterpart was to any within eye or ear shot of the swaying lutran, for as his little paws traveled up and down his front over these tubes, his detracted claws would strike one of these tubes and ring out with a musical chime.

The contents of the shell were as brightly colored, if not more so, than the outside as a variety of objects littered its recess. Painted sea-dollars, spiral shells turned into little flutes, abalone shells which had been shined to dazzle people with their sea-colored opalescence, conch shell horns, and various other items crafted from things that could be found on Demios beaches; including small figured made to look like animals.

On the ground next to the large turtle shell lay a large and deeply curved clam shell that seemed to be operating as some sort of bowl with which the bardic otter would receive whatever offerings people made in exchange for his music or the items he had in the large turtle shell. Whether or not the few copper swords in it were placed there by the Lutran or not were only known to the Lutran or those who might have placed them there.

Between the two items and roughly secured between stones sit a large leaf of some origin which had written upon in, with a decent amount of skill some might note, a simple message. In three lines it read: Help me start a new life. Every line containing two lines each, the letters spaced and sized in such a manner as to make each line equal in length without seeming out of place or too forced. This, of course, meant that the line of 'a new' was the largest of the three so as to span the same length as the other two.

Two any who might observe the otter that long or be otherwise located nearby to hear his music, this would persist for at least a candle mark before the lutran would remove the square of some sort of material that sat under the items in the turtle shell and lay them out before kneeling over the shell and banging on it. Now one would expect such a shell to produce a clunking, if still musical, effect. This one however rang and clear and well through the crowd, almost as if it were constructed of metal.

What the shell sounds like

Last edited by Vesdani Coldcreek; January 17, 2015 at 04:02 PM.
Vesdani Coldcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2015, 07:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Eternal

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Hay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious Superhero

Hay'aan Malinconico was a long term resident of Demios and she loved it there. It was, without a doubt, her home and she knew the people there and they her. On this particular brightening the young human woman was walking through the town. The woman herself was a dark skinned human of obviously Arakmatan descent. Her long black hair was loose, but held by a triangle-shaped deep red scarf. She was wearing a long floor length skirt of red, with white petticoats beneath it which showed as she walked and gave it flounce. The skirt was belted tightly at her waist by a white scarf. Her white blouse was tucked into that skirt and over that was a red corset. Her boots were a deep red also and she wore a red cardigan to keep off the cold. Or as cold as it got on Demios. Other than the rather obviously (if one knew such) Air'riela clothing, Hay'aan was noticeable for some other reasons. She wore a sword with the sort of confidence and ease which was almost impossible to fake, belted at her waist. She had a satchel with her, but her other "accompaniments" were three children. One baby, held in a sling across her chest and sleeping peacefully to the world and identical twin boys. Both of them blonde haired with brown eyes and looking to be perhaps ten or eleven ordinations old.

The three of them stopped and listened, Hay'aan giving a coin to each boy to go and put in the Lutran's clam shell. At a break in the music, if such happened, and if it did not then there was a limited time before he just had to ask, one of the boys spoke. It was him that was holding the woman's hand (she appeared to be quite content simply to listen), although the other had his hand in the crook of her elbow as she held on to the baby in the sling.

"That's awesome!" the boy said and he grinned "I've never seen nothin' like that. How's it make that noise? Can I see?" He asked, intrigued. Hay'aan smiled slightly and looked to the lutran fellow.

"My apologies" she said, "My son is possessed of an extraordinatry amount of curiosity. It is a wonderful instrument and you play it well. I am Hay'aan Malinconico and these are Finnegan" that one to the twin who had spoken "Gursin" the other twin who smiled ever so slightly and solemnly said "Serale" but did not say anything more. "And Jonah, who is too tired to be bothered I am afraid" she said with a smile at the baby in her arm.

"So, can I look?" Finnegan asked, eagerly. "Mama plays music lots but I've never seen nothin' like that!"
Old February 2, 2015, 04:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Adventurer

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Vesdani Coldcreek is an upstanding Citizen
Ves'dani could only laugh as he thought back to a katta saying that they have about Lutrans and the saying that humans have about katta and their curiosity.

Then, offering both a big smile and a small bow; the only type you can offer at less than for feet tall; the lutran spoke with a voice that would strike a mother as not dissimilar to a child's voice. Not uncommon among even grown lutrans.

"Ves'dani. Though humans usually just call me Dani.", he would explain to the woman before redirectng his attention to the curious child and replying to his inquiries.

It's a torotam!..", 'Dani' would explain with enthusiasm. "Many call it a turtle drum. How it makes the noise is a trick. There are these plants that grow far from here. My grandfather found this shell and roasted it in a soup of those plants and now it sounds like metal when you hit it." he would continue on to say before grasping at either edge of the turtle drum and offering it forward to the child.

"You can try it on if you want! You can put it over your head and play it." offered the lutran as the big grin persisted; honestly excited by the child's curiosity in the instrument. Though he was a lutran and some would say they were easily excitable.
Old February 5, 2015, 04:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Eternal

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Hay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious Superhero

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Ves'dani" she said. What humans 'usually' did was of no interest to Hay'aan, she would be polite no matter what. Finnegan looked and listened and he gave his mother an expression of longing which would be hard to ignore by anyone. "A turtle drum? That is most interesting" she said and she gave Fin just a very slight shake of her head. He glanced at her and then, as she repeated the head shake (this time with a raised eyebrow) he too shook his head. "No, I won't try it on, thanks. We're going to meet Papa and we're late already" he said, regretfully.

"He's right. It has been a pleasure to meet you Ves'dani, but we must be on our way" Hay'aan said and bowed her head, slightly. "Come on, boys, let's go meet your father and eat. I am starved!" she said. She smiled at the lutran and nodded her head. "Thank you. It has been a pleasure. I wish you many successes in your customers this brightening" she added and then she, and her three children, walked to the seafood restaurant where they were meeting her husband, the three boys' father. It was, as always, a pleasure to see the unusual and colourful characters which Demios attracted.

oocfun dropping in! Hope you get some pc's in here who can do adventures and stuff with you! Welcome welcome!